• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Henry Cavill in Talks to Return as Superman for Warner Bros

kingbean

I loved man of steel.
Never understood why people have a problem with that movie.
All the movies that came after that one were trash, though.

It was edited poorly, Pa Kent was an unbelievable character and while the premise is great -alien god creature is an outcast- we didn't get enough of that personal drama from the man himself.

It wasn't a bad movie, but it was a poorly executed one IMO.

thequestion

I would like him to channel the tos Superman from the 90’s, instead of the conflicted, grim, brooding, supes from MOS.

The world needs Superman right now. Hope they fast - track the movie.

Sybrix

Not the hero we deserve but the hero we need

supermanlives2.0.0.jpg

#Phonepunk#

Banned
my favorite part of Man of Steel was all the intro stuff on planet Krypton. the idea of Superman as an alien come to Earth is an interesting one not really explored in the other media i've seen about him. i thought that stuff was very well done.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I’m convinced that, in an alternate timeline, Death of Superman was released & was hugely successful. Thus forever changing the course of comic book movies in comparison with our timeline.

Kevin Smith's script was great (except for the polar bears, giant spider, and robot sidekick).

Doom85

So IF that ever happened, it would be the Air National Guard would be the first emergency responder, way before the air force and that would be out of Stewart. So lets say suddenly the portal appeared over NYC, aliens start crashing out. First the alert would have to go through the chain of command to get the guard deployed, lets say minimum of 5 minutes for that to happen. But lets just pretend the COP already got word the order had been given. At that point the first emergency team, who is -suppose- to always be on standby would be rushing to suit up and get to their planes, ground crews would have them already mostly fueled but would have to do a few pre-flight checks while the pilots are finsihing getting read and rushed out to the field. Thats another 5 minutes. Instant take off clearance would be given and 2 jets would be in the air within another 5 minutes (taxi time, final safety check on the current patterns, clearance to go, and relaying of orders and flight plan). Already we've chewed through 10 minutes before a Jet is even in the air. Then the travel time to NYC (90 miles away) even at full burn (these would be f16's launching first so 1500mph) would be another 10 - 15 to get to altitude and speed and get there.

So yeah, 30 minutes? Does not seem crazy. And that's for a first responder, NOT the air force. Look at 9/11 and how long it took to get jets in the air and tracking, even after a scramble call it took 7 minutes to get 2 F-15 fighters in the air, that was with the crew already on alert that something was happening and having pilots sit in ready possition with the planes in full take off mode, awaiting launch orders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._military_response_during_the_September_11_attacks

Thanks for that, I legit had no idea. Movies are often guilty of having the police and/or military be less competent than they should be just so the heroes are more effective, so it's nice to see Avengers actually did its homework on this.

Doom85

Not the hero we deserve but the hero we need

supermanlives2.0.0.jpg

When I first heard everything about that film, I was initially glad it didn't happen, sounded terrible. Then my friend put on the documentary of the film's pre-production (it was on Netflix, not sure if it's still there). First of all, the concept art, HOLY SHIT. Some of the set pieces wre mind-blowing, like IIRC it wasn't just Krypton but other crazy alien worlds we'd see in the movie. And then the test shoot of Cage in the costume, a picture doesn't do it justice, he legit seemed to pulling off the look. He didn't feel classic Superman but he did feel like a unique version of Superman I'd be down with seeing on the big screen.

I don't think it would have been the most faithful of Superman films, but honestly I don't think Burton's Batman '89 was either (sorry, Joker being the Waynes' killer is a major issue for me) but I still greatly enjoyed it just as a film just not as much as an adaptation and I think the same could have happened here. Shame the film didn't happen, instead we got that snoozefest in 2006 (though I am glad it got Brandon Routh in the public eye as he showed in Arrow he can give a good performance on his own since some might say in SR he was just copying Christopher Reeve).

Ememee

When I first heard everything about that film, I was initially glad it didn't happen, sounded terrible. Then my friend put on the documentary of the film's pre-production (it was on Netflix, not sure if it's still there). First of all, the concept art, HOLY SHIT. Some of the set pieces wre mind-blowing, like IIRC it wasn't just Krypton but other crazy alien worlds we'd see in the movie. And then the test shoot of Cage in the costume, a picture doesn't do it justice, he legit seemed to pulling off the look. He didn't feel classic Superman but he did feel like a unique version of Superman I'd be down with seeing on the big screen.

I don't think it would have been the most faithful of Superman films, but honestly I don't think Burton's Batman '89 was either (sorry, Joker being the Waynes' killer is a major issue for me) but I still greatly enjoyed it just as a film just not as much as an adaptation and I think the same could have happened here. Shame the film didn't happen, instead we got that snoozefest in 2006 (though I am glad it got Brandon Routh in the public eye as he showed in Arrow he can give a good performance on his own since some might say in SR he was just copying Christopher Reeve).

Yeah, I saw the same documentary and it convinced me that, albeit weird AF(including the ninja fights, polar bear, spider, and Cages interpretation) it probably would have been successful. Especially at the time. Different world entirely in terms of nerd culture and the film industry.

REE Machine

Banned
Hope it works out he was a great Supes, dude was just fed shitty material. Also stop having him make appearances, give him his own second movie for Christ sake

Last edited:
Yes. Toss him all the coins, WB. Although by now, I'm sure it's not all about the money anymore.
Well, unless there's so much of it on the table that other contractual agreements become irrelevant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom