• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me with VR?

Rival

Gold Member
I’m very interested in getting a new VR headset. I’ve only had experience with the psvr which outside of Astrobpt i was pretty unimpressed with. I just built a new pc with a 3080ti so I can run pretty much anything. Money doesn’t matter. What’s my best bet? The quest 2 seems cool but I don’t know what’s the best value for my money. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I just don’t know if now is a good time to buy or what one offers me the options for gaming. Is anything coming out in the next few months that I should wait for?

Perrott

Gold Member
If money doesn't matter, then go for a Valve Index, although the Quest 2 is the best bang for your buck type of purchase.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If money doesn't really matter and you want to get into vr grab one of these headsets from Varjo. They are extremely high end, have amazing visual fidelity, and come in two flavors: a $10k version and a $5k version (both tethered).

These are go to headsets for high end model review and creation immersion (enterprise level solutions), they also work great for games!

Next step down (one of two)

Grab the HP Reverb V2 - its basically an upgraded Valve Index headset also tethered but no lighthouse tracking (uses inside out).
With Index controllers (this is a high end headset from a visuals perspective and feels more comfortable than the Vive Pro 2 or Index IMO)

Grab the Vive Pro 2 headset with lighthouses (get four) and a pair of Index controllers. Tethered (or wireless with $350 adapter) and uses Lighthouse tracking

Next step down

Valve index headset, lighthouse, and controller package from Steam. Tethered headset, lighthouse based tracking and valve index controllers

Cheapest

Quest 2 with a 25 foot USB C cable for tethered game play or just go wireless using Air Link.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Personally, I wouldn't consider a tethered headset, but it depends on what you're going to be playing. If you plan to play racing or flying sims the tether isn't a big deal. If you're like me and you like to immerse yourself and flail around, and plan on playing with family/kids, then Quest 2 is the way to go. I couldn't imagine how horrifying it would be to let a bunch of kids or drunks play with something wired. What's cool about the Quest 2 is that not only can you do wireless on your home network with Virtual Desktop/Air Link and Steam/Viveport/Rift, it's also standalone. Just load it up and your games go where you go.

Biggest downside at the moment is the Facebook account requirement. That needs to die in the fire, asap.

Kev Kev

May be kind of a hot take, but if you weren’t impressed by PSVR at all (you didn’t like the experience at all? Not even a little bit?), then maybe VR isn’t for you.

I know PSVR has its limitations, but AstroBot is one of the best examples for great VR games out there, and it’s just a great game in general. So it’s strange to me that you would be so unimpressed by your experience but the proceed to go even more into VR.

I dunno, if money is no problem then yeah man I’d say get a bitchin’ PC and take Miyazaki’s Slave Miyazaki’s Slave advice on headsets.

If that doesn’t impress you then I’d say you can be certain that VR just isn’t your thing, at least not in its current state.

Codes 208

The index and vive are the best out there but the quest 2 + link cable are the best value (as long as you dont mind signing up for facebook)

for games i recommend:
-beat saber
-phasmophobia
-blade and sorcery (with mods)
-boneworks
-half life alyx
-re4
-space pirate trainer
-super hot

avoid shitty half-assed ports like skyrim though.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I’m very interested in getting a new VR headset. I’ve only had experience with the psvr which outside of Astrobpt i was pretty unimpressed with. I just built a new pc with a 3080ti so I can run pretty much anything. Money doesn’t matter. What’s my best bet? The quest 2 seems cool but I don’t know what’s the best value for my money. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I just don’t know if now is a good time to buy or what one offers me the options for gaming. Is anything coming out in the next few months that I should wait for?

Quest 2 is definitely the bang for your buck choice, but there's also a pretty good argument it's the best overall experience too.

The main reason for that is the ability to play wirelessly over Wi-Fi with AirLink. Being able to play wirelessly, and without external sensors makes it really easy to take advantage of large play spaces and move around freely without worrying about the cord, which makes a huge difference. You CAN do one of those elaborate pulley set ups to do this with a corded unit Quest makes it super easy.

That doesn't mean it's the winner in every category. Quest 2's resolution is higher than Index and actually pretty comparable to ReverbG2 in terms of pixel density, but it doesn't have the same FOV or contrast levels as those headsets.

Quest 2 also uses a data connection for video rather than a direct video in, so that both adds a little latency and some lossy video compression. Neither of these issues is likely to be a deal breaker, but it's there.

But Quest 2 is competitive enough in those other categories that the Wireless capabilities feel like a good trade, and that's the bottom line. It's just a better overall experience that you'll use more because it's easy.

The index and vive are the best out there but the quest 2 + link cable are the best value (as long as you dont mind signing up for facebook)

for games i recommend:
-beat saber
-phasmophobia
-blade and sorcery (with mods)
-boneworks
-half life alyx
-re4
-space pirate trainer
-super hot

avoid shitty half-assed ports like skyrim though.
The Vive is not better than Quest 2 in any way at this point. It's an obsolete gen 1 headset that no one should be recommending in 2021. Quest 2 destroys it.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I’ve got a Quest 1 and 2. I use the Q1 for PCVR gaming. The OLED blacks beats resolution for me.

If money really is no object then why not consider a Vario Aero when it releases at the beginning of next year. Tethered yes...but the picture quality and tech is very impressive. https://varjo.com/products/aero/ - you will need to get the Valve Index Lighthouses (x2) and controllers. Check out Youtube videos for more impressions.

Vlodril

Quest 2 is hard to beat right now. It is really really cheap (compared to all other headsets) and the quality while not the best is more than good enough. There are also some exclusives to the store and more are coming.

Personally i didn't like it comfort wise so i moved to a reverb g2. Which has a decent price and superior quality. Windows mixed reality is crap though so there is that.

If you want to go really high end Primax is making Primax 12k next year which supposedly will have all the bells and whistles and you can buy the primax 8k right now and when the 12k model comes out they will let you upgrade to it and discount the full price from primax 8k.

Kuranghi

I'm wondering if I should get a Quest 2 at chrimbo or wait for the PSVR 2 for my PS5. I "only" have a GTX 1080 so I'm not sure how much better than will make games on the Quest 2 vs. just the headsets own capabilities.

I can buy a wireless jambo for the Q2 though?

dano1

A Sheep
I'm wondering if I should get a Quest 2 at chrimbo or wait for the PSVR 2 for my PS5. I "only" have a GTX 1080 so I'm not sure how much better than will make games on the Quest 2 vs. just the headsets own capabilities.

I’m waiting for the PSVR2 reviews I’m assuming it will be really good for the price.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I’m waiting for the PSVR2 reviews I’m assuming it will be really good for the price.

Won't be wireless though, which makes me sad to think about. I love my Quest 2 (I only use it for its standalone capabilities), and would love to get into more high-end VR gaming, but going back to being tethered... I just don't think I can do that.

dano1

A Sheep
Won't be wireless though, which makes me sad to think about. I love my Quest 2 (I only use it for its standalone capabilities), and would love to get into more high-end VR gaming, but going back to being tethered... I just don't think I can do that.
Has that been confirmed? I was hoping it would be. If not hopefully not the cable mess of the first one!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has that been confirmed? I was hoping it would be. If not hopefully not the cable mess of the first one!

It has, yes. It will have one cable running from the headset to the PS5. So definitely a big improvement, but they really should have gone all the way to wireless. People keep saying that would make it too expensive, but the Quest 2 does it just fine over standard Wifi. The PS5 supports Wifi 6, and adding a Wifi chip to the headset shouldn't be that expensive.

nemiroff

Gold Member
OP, a word of warning, this thread is kinda all over the place.. A few of the advices are not even close to being objectively solid - IMO. So as usual, do not follow one particular advice but multiple sources. Take your time and gather a conclusion that align with your particular situation.

Last edited:
Best games and their platforms I have played are:
- Beat Saber (everything)
- Resident Evil 4 (Quest 2)
- AstroBot (PSVR)
- Half-Life Alex (PC)
- Statik (PSVR)
- Headmaster (PSVR)
- SuperHot VR (everything)
- Wipeout Omega Collection (PSVR)

If you still have access to PSVR I would try the games I have listed above that are exclusive for that. Otherwise a Quest 2 is cheap and can be used standalone which is VERY nice. If you just gotta have the best though, the Valve Index is probably the right choice since you would only really be missing out on RE4VR by not getting the Quest.

Wonko_C

For as long as Apple or Microsoft isn't doing a VR, I would abstain from a purchase. :pie_zipper:
Microsoft has been at it for years:

vIVi0JP.jpg

Solarstrike

Valve Index is great. I bought my other brother Oculus Quest 2 but he barely plays it. :/ Was a chore to set up he said. Log into this and that and you need a Facebook account. Both systems have their perks and hiccups. Not sure what games are for the Oculus Quests 2 but my standouts for the Index so far are Paper Beasts and Aircar. Incredible to experience. Some others for the Index are:

Aircar (Free)
Paper Beasts
Half Life: Alyx
Radial-G: Racing Revolved (use gamepad or wheel for controls)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
Google Earth VR
Aperture Hand Lab (Free)
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Project Wingman
The Solus Project
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners
Dirt Rally 2.0 (gamepad or wheel for controls)
The Lab (Free)
Subnautica
Space Pirate Trainer
Ultrawings
Star Wars: Droid Repair Bay (Free)
Star Wars: Trial on Tatooine Free)
Nvidia VR Funhouse
Bigscreen Beta

dano1

A Sheep
It has, yes. It will have one cable running from the headset to the PS5. So definitely a big improvement, but they really should have gone all the way to wireless. People keep saying that would make it too expensive, but the Quest 2 does it just fine over standard Wifi. The PS5 supports Wifi 6, and adding a Wifi chip to the headset shouldn't be that expensive.
I would have gladly spent another $50 for a wireless headset!

Reallink

The Quest 2's on board graphical fidelity is somewhere between a Wii and Xbox 360 with more RAM. A GTX1080 is still around 10x more powerful and represents a full console generational leap at least. You can "stream" PCVR games to Quest 2 via a USB cable or Wifi.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think for the money I’m going to go with the quest. Love the idea of no cables and the price is too good to pass up.
They have a promotion right now where if you buy an Oculus Quest 2 using a referral link from a friend you each get a $30 store credit. I’m assuming the referral link is for the official Oculus Store.

Here’s the details...

It’s valid through the end of this year. I’m down to do it, but even if you go a different route I figured I’d let you know.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
(as long as you dont mind signing up for facebook)
This is literally the reason I haven't bought a Quest 2. And I'm too cheap to buy a higher end setup. Fuck Facebook / Meta / whatever-they're-called-now.

mxbison

1080 is plenty of juice. I played HL: Alyx on a 1070 just fine.

PC VR games don't really have that huge hardware requirements. Apart from Flight Simulator I guess, but that doesn't even seem to run properly on a 3090 so whatever.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is literally the reason I haven't bought a Quest 2. And I'm too cheap to buy a higher end setup. Fuck Facebook / Meta / whatever-they're-called-now.

I mean, if all you're gonna use that Facebook account for is the Quest, then does it really matter that much?

Also, they're gonna remove the FB requirement. At some point.

Resenge

I mean, if all you're gonna use that Facebook account for is the Quest, then does it really matter that much?

Also, they're gonna remove the FB requirement. At some point.
Facebook is no longer required to use a Quest 2, at least once it is registered anyway. I think you still need to sign into a Facebook account with a new Quest 2, but after you can unlink and delete the Facebook account.

The Facebook account I created is now unlinked and deleted. You lose access to the social features but everything else works as expected.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Facebook is no longer required to use a Quest 2, at least once it is registered anyway. I think you still need to sign into a Facebook account with a new Quest 2, but after you can unlink and delete the Facebook account.

The Facebook account I created is now unlinked and deleted. You lose access to the social features but everything else works as expected.

You can still buy things from the Oculus Store etc?

Resenge

You can still buy things from the Oculus Store etc?
Yep. No changes except you lose access to the social features, Facebook video, friendlist etc.

[EDIT]
Thinking about it, I havent bought anything from the store since I unlinked but I still have access to the store. I will login quickly and check to see if I can buy anything

[EDIT2]
Confirmed that I can still use and buy games from the store.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep. No changes except you lose access to the social features, Facebook video, friendlist etc.

[EDIT]
Thinking about it, I havent bought anything from the store since I unlinked but I still have access to the store. I will login quickly and check to see if I can buy anything

[EDIT2]
Confirmed that I can still use and buy games from the store.

What if I only have a Facebook account though? When I bought my Quest 2 that was the only option, you could not create a separate Oculus account anymore. If I unlink, does my account become an Oculus account?

Resenge

What if I only have a Facebook account though? When I bought my Quest 2 that was the only option, you could not create a separate Oculus account anymore. If I unlink, does my account become an Oculus account?
According to the Reddit poster I linked above, he unlinked it with no problems. "I never had an oculus account as well. The agent sent me a link to set my password once it was unlinked. The email was the same as my FB email but I had to set a new password"

I cannot confirm it myself as I had an Oculus account before, but I have no reason to believe he is wrong.

[EDIT]
If you unlinked and something changed that you did not like, it would be simple to just re-link your Facebook account anyway.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
If I was buying today I wouldnt get the Valve Index as the resolution isn't very good. Lots of screen door effect (and god rays). It's hard to justify at $1000. If you're dipping your toe in Quest 2 is better. It's cheap enough that if you want to do hardcore later it's not that big a deal to get a more expensive one (or maybe PSVR 2) and use quest 2 for some standalone or wireless pcvr games.

I've got an Index, Quest 2 (shared with others), and will probably get PSVR2 if there are sufficient exclusives.

Get the quest 2.

The option to also run it completely wirelessly even with games running on your PC is a godsend (provided both your PC and your router are WiFi 6 capable).
Is quest 2 even worth it without running games on a PC? Does it even run RE4 that way?

I don't trust any Meta products, so I can't recommend Quest 2 despite it being a piece of great tech.

PSVR2 is on the horizon (should be launching in 2022) and we'll likely get details either late this year or early next. But if you can't wait and have a capable PC, Valve Index is the way to go.

Top Bottom