• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide which cheesy 70s/80s movie I should watch from this collection

mutt765

My brother gave me a DVD collection of 100 "awesomely cheesy movies" from the 70s and 80s for my birthday. I was born in the late 80s so I've never heard of most of them, so I ask the older movie buffs on Gaf, which movies out of this list are your favorites or must-sees that I should watch immediately?

Nv7XS0C.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
Woooow, I've only even heard of a few of them, much less watched.more than a couple.

Laser Mission was Brandon Lee's first flick IIRC, it's very hokey but he was charming as fuck. Slipstream with Bill Paxton I have seen but cant recall if I liked it.

Gotta watch "The River Niger" with JEJ just to see if that was a typo or it is a about a river in Africa.

Early Kim Cantrell in that "Good vs Evil" might be really nice, she was sooooo hot back in the day.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Never heard of any of those films as I was born in the 90s but just for the actors that I like I would propose those 2 :
Dear Mr wonderful with Joe Pesci.
The squeeze with Lee Van Cleef.
Bonus because I love that actress :
A hazard of hearts with Helena Bonham Carter.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I looked a few of these up because I was just astounded I haven't heard of so many. Lots of these are TV movies or real low budget avant garde stuff.

What even is this? A set of 100 DVDs or low bitrate rips of stuff thrown on a few discs? Image Quality is gonna be rough.

They are picking ANYONE semi-famous somewhere in the cast to list as well. Demi Moore ain't the star of Choices, for example.

Damn, I kinda miss the sense of exploration, mystery, and ultimately bitter disappointment you would get from stuff like this, or the TOTALLY MISLEADING box covers of VHS or DVDs in cramped musty video stores back in the day. I guess it isn't much different when trolling through the mass of shit on streaming services but the need to get something, ANYTHING, and go home trumps sitting on my couch and just picking an ep of Rick and Morty instead.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's October so you gotta go with Scarecrows (plus it's the only one I immediately recognize). I mean it's killer scarecrows against a team of armed criminals and one guy gets turned into a scarecrow by being stuffed with money.

Razorback

I thought I was a cinephile, I even enjoy watching rare trash like they do on RedLetterMedia, but I've never heard of any of these movies.

mutt765

I looked a few of these up because I was just astounded I haven't heard of so many. Lots of these are TV movies or real low budget avant garde stuff.

That explains why I've never heard of them, and it looks like I'm not alone.

What even is this? A set of 100 DVDs or low bitrate rips of stuff thrown on a few discs? Image Quality is gonna be rough.

haha that might be true, its put together by Mill Creek Entertainment, whose tag line is "The Leader in Value Entertainment". 2 sets of 12 discs each, so I'm guessing there's 4 or 5 movies on each disc.

8lI3AxX.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Wow...you've got Scarecrows in there. That's one to see and hold up as creepy till this day.

MastAndo

Heard of a few, but the only movie I recall seeing from that list is Hunk. It's about a guy who makes a deal with the devil and turns into, well, a hunk. I only remember it because as a tubby little guy, it gave me hope I would one day grow into a muscle-bound heartthrob. No such luck.

I can't remember much else about it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't good.

Billbofet

I check on some trailers for this list and War of the Robots and Scarecrows both look like a legit good time.

Billbofet

Heard of a few, but the only movie I recall seeing from that list is Hunk. It's about a guy who makes a deal with the devil and turns into, well, a hunk. I only remember it because as a tubby little guy, it gave me hope I would one day grow into a muscle-bound heartthrob. No such luck.

I can't remember much else about it, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't good.
Oh wow, I have seen this Hunk movie a bunch of times for some reason. It's the male version of Weird Science.
I will always remember the joke that his liver is based off of Dean Martin, so the guy can drink a ton without getting drunk. No idea why I remember that, but I quoted it often in college.

mutt765

I'll definitely watch Scarecrows based on this thread but I think I'll try to get some friends together for that. When the Bough Breaks unironically looks decent, it has a 6.8 on IMDB

The Werewolf of Washington sounds like a winner too: "A reporter who has had an affair with the daughter of the U.S. President is sent to Hungary. There he is bitten by a werewolf, and then gets transferred back to Washington, where he gets a job as press assistant to the President. Then bodies start turning up in D.C."

MV5BYWMzM2U3NDItNzQ5Yy00NjgxLThiNTEtZWU1OTgwYzdjNDZmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UY480_.jpg

Top Bottom