• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide what RPG to play next

Which would you recommend?

• Yakuza: Like A Dragon

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Dragon Quest XI

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Skyward Sword HD

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
I figure I can probably beat one of the following RPGs in time for Elden Ring. Currently replaying BoTW and playing Dark Souls 3 for my first time. I like taking breaks from Dark Souls 3 so was looking for something to fill my time until February 25th. All 3 of the first titles are on GamePass so readily available. I already own the 4th. I realize Skyward Sword isn't really an RPG but I decided to lump them together.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon - I beat Yakuza 0 and had a great time, primarily due to the story and wacky side quests. Wasn't a huge fan of the combat, which is why the turn based nature of Yakuza LAD is appealing to me. Yakuza 0 is the only Yakuza title I've played but it is probably in my top 3 when it comes to story. Phenomenal.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition - Never played any of the titles but have only heard amazing things about this one. No idea on their playtimes and whether getting through all 3 by the time Elden Rings comes out is feasible.

Dragon Quest XI - Started this game a while ago but only put like 1-2 hours into it. Got distracted and never managed to get back to it. Seemed a little generic but I don't think that's really a far criticism given I barely scratched the surface. This game has been on GamePass for what seems like forever so my only concern is that this might leave soon. I would like to play it before it does.

Zelda: Skyward Sword HD - Picked this up on sale shortly after getting my OLED Switch but haven't gotten around to it. I think this might be the only Zelda console release I haven't played. I've heard it has some RPG elements which is appealing to me.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Wait... You've never played any of the original Mass Effect Trilogy? You have to play that. 2 in particular is one of the greatest games of all time.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Skyward Sword HD. The new controls have fixed most of what was wrong with it. It's got a great vibe and beautiful art.

I'm assuming you've played Chrono Trigger already. If you haven't, go play that.

Yakuza: Like A Dragon - I beat Yakuza 0 and had a great time, primarily due to the story and wacky side quests. Wasn't a huge fan of the combat, which is why the turn based nature of Yakuza LAD is appealing to me. Yakuza 0 is the only Yakuza title I've played but it is probably in my top 3 when it comes to story. Phenomenal.

Dragon Quest XI - Started this game a while ago but only put like 1-2 hours into it. Got distracted and never managed to get back to it. Seemed a little generic but I don't think that's really a far criticism given I barely scratched the surface. This game has been on GamePass for what seems like forever so my only concern is that this might leave soon. I would like to play it before it does.

DQ XI is the gold standard for turn based RPGs. The story is really engaging and the characters are also great. It takes a while to get going, but once you're in, the game won't let you go anymore.
Yakuza Like a Dragon was quite enjoyable too, I liked that wacky combat and the story deals with some really mature themes and some heart-wrenching strokes of fate. Ichiban is juts such an endearing character.

Both a great and come highly recommended. I still liked DQXI a bit better though.

You just played a Zelda game so space it out a bit. Play Mass Effect. That way you can space it out a bit before you play ME 2.

Yakuza is not that good. Its okay.

Kuranghi

Mass Effect 1-3 if you've never played them, but if need more slow paced then Yakuza or Dragon Quest XI. SS HD is great but also really really slow for how long what you actually do in the game.

april6e

Need more information. Have you played ME before? If not, what are you doing with your life, go play it.

If you already played ME back in the day, Dragon Quest 11 S (please don't play the original, it's missing so many key features) will catch you off guard despite how vanilla it looks.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I want to vote Mass Effect, but I feel that if a person never played the first entry in the series it didn't age well even with the improvements, and even 2 with its stellar story might feel dated in many ways.

So I am going with Dragon Quest XI. Can't go wrong there, even with a replay.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
mAss Effect Legendary Edition. If you don't like 1, skip to 2 and go from there. Andromeda at your own discretion

playXray

DQ XI is the gold standard for turn based RPGs. The story is really engaging and the characters are also great. It takes a while to get going, but once you're in, the game won't let you go anymore.
Yakuza Like a Dragon was quite enjoyable too, I liked that wacky combat and the story deals with some really mature themes and some heart-wrenching strokes of fate. Ichiban is juts such an endearing character.

Both a great and come highly recommended. I still liked DQXI a bit better though.

My only hesitation in recommending DQXi is the length - if OP is a completionist, it's going to take a lot of time to finish everything right through to the final ending, so YLaD might be a better fit given the time available.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Go for Yakuza, and if not then Dragon Quest. For Mass Effect I would advise playing the originals over the legendary edition.

brian0057

Banned
If you're playing Mass Effect, just stick to the first game if you want an RPG.
Play Gears of War instead of the second game.
Skip the third game.

I think the GamePass version is DE but I would need to double check.
The Xbox version is S, which is the Switch version. It has worse graphics than the PS4 normal edition, but it has other features like the 16-bit mode.

The S version is also on PlayStation, but it also has the worse graphics compared to the original version.

Neo_GAF

Banned
i have reached a point as a 35 year old, that i just dont give a shit about any lenghty game anymore. anything which does not value my time can straight go to fuck off.
in other words, play mass effect and yakuza. the rest is shit.

Fbh

-Mass Effect is great, it easily has one of my favorite worlds and casts in gaming, though keep in mind that some aspects of it can feel a bit dated, specially on the first game. Also consider that going through all 3 games with DLC is probably going to take you 100+ hours (probably less if you rush through it, but that would be a shame).

-Haven't played Like a Dragon but from my understanding the new combat is fun but can get a bit repetitive, and the story and side content is as fun as ever.

-DQ11 is great if you are looking for a more classic JRPG experience but with nice modern graphics. If you play it I'd strongly recommend enabling the "stronger monsters" option as it really makes the combat shine, it can be a bit frustrating at first but it really evens out once you get a couple of party member. Otherwise you'll be pressing X to win for 70 hours. It sadly also gets a bit bloated and stretched out in the second half.

-Skyward Sword is fun, the remaster fixes some of the most glaring issues of the original and I enjoyed the motion controls (which worked surprisingly well on Switch), it has some fun dungeons though it does feel a bit stretched out towards the end. Wouldn't call it an RPG though, there are some sidequests and there's some very basic gear upgrade mechanic but it's most definitely an action/adventure game..

Last edited:
Top Bottom