• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! HDR problem

makaveli60

If your use to to your tv changing your SDR image HDR will look "wrong". The reason we have image standards is so the image can look the same on every screen to what the director/creator intended as by default every manufacturer changes the image its own way to be "more appealing" in a show room setting.

With HDR though generally speaking its easier to notice the difference going back to SDR than it is going forwards. If things like stars, the sun, light sources don't look miles better then something is wrong.
Well, sun is a good example. In all games, in SDR a larger space is shining around the sun, while in HDR I can see the sun itself shining, I mean I can see its shape while in SDR I cannot. In SDR it's a large bright spot only where the sun is. Does this tell you anything about my set?

Hostile_18

Banned
Well, sun is a good example. In all games, in SDR a larger space is shining around the sun, while in HDR I can see the sun itself shining, I mean I can see its shape while in SDR I cannot. In SDR it's a large bright spot only where the sun is. Does this tell you anything about my set?

I'm not sure to be honest. When i look up at small lighter sources such as stars, lamposts etc they are so much brighter than in the SDR image, they really stand out.

I guess there's brightness in SDR by your tv selecting a more saturated colour, then theres brightness in HDR by it being physically brighter (in terms of nits) 😊

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So I spent quite some time for testing during the weekend. First of all, I compared my screen with the Gamersyde videos and some Youtube HDR videos of the games. In almost all cases the game on my screen looked better a bit (better colors). One instance when it was worse: in Tlou 2, the lights at the beginning snowfight were brighter in the video than on my screen. So here are the results on a per game basis from best to worst:
Doom Eternal - this is the only game where I found that HDR can make a real difference. Colors and lights pop after tweaking the ingame settings.
Final Fantasy XV - colors look noticeably better in HDR
TLoU 2 - a bit better colors with a bit better contrast, lights can get quite bright
Ghost of Tsushima - a bit better colors I think
Uncharted 4, Infamous Second Son, Horizon, Mortal Kombat 11, RDR2 - difference is next to nothing or worse (Infamous just darkens everything), Horizon is the biggest disappointment, since that is held as the go to game for HDR, so I'm perplexed about it. I was hesitant to include RDR2 because I only checked it out for a couple of minutes

To conclude I feel HDR gaming is a big disappointment now. It is terribly overhyped. "Game changer, more important than 4k, etc." This is not true currently. The only game that utilizes it in any meaningul way is Doom Eternal (not that surprising, id Software were always among the best), because you can really adjust the settings in that game. Going forward I hope developers will implement it that way for new games. I assume on better TVs there are better capabilities where there are bigger differences in HDR vs SDR gaming, but we already established that my TV is perfectly capable of decent HDR, so yeah, HDR gaming is a bit of a scam for now, I feel.

I get you are upset but I promise you its not a scam. THe one thing again that I have noticed is that you are looking just for color pop which is not what HDR is all about. Thats only part of it.

FF15 has a pretty decent HDR set up but it also loses a lot of its benefits due to the blurry image. on both base machines.

TLOU2 is a prime example of how dark highlights can be improved with HDR.

Horizon is a good example as its a subtle effect across the entire screen. Which is really what HDR is about. Thats why its praised by many,

RDR2 default HDR set up is straight bad and broken. You have to do a ton of tweaking to get it into a decent state after an update they did but its still a bad example of HDR.

As you said with Doom Eternal, its a very good representation of what the tech can do and its a night and day difference. Once you have seen HDR in that game and play for awhile, then try to go back, its near impossible to not notice just how much of a difference it can be.

Again, I know you are a bit obsessed with this right now, and rightfully so, but hopping from game to game and checking out only 20-30 minutes isn't the way to check out HDR. You have to sit down and play/watch an entire game or move to get the effect. I dont want to blame your tech because thats not what I am trying to get at but you have to understand that with any TV new tech will thrive on the cutting edge first (OLED, QLED) and will trickle down to the mid range over time. Your TV isn't bad by any means but you are only seeing the baseline of what HDR can do.

Not trying to drink the kool aid of HDR, but it really isnt a scam.

I get you are upset but I promise you its not a scam. THe one thing again that I have noticed is that you are looking just for color pop which is not what HDR is all about. Thats only part of it.

FF15 has a pretty decent HDR set up but it also loses a lot of its benefits due to the blurry image. on both base machines.

TLOU2 is a prime example of how dark highlights can be improved with HDR.

Horizon is a good example as its a subtle effect across the entire screen. Which is really what HDR is about. Thats why its praised by many,

RDR2 default HDR set up is straight bad and broken. You have to do a ton of tweaking to get it into a decent state after an update they did but its still a bad example of HDR.

As you said with Doom Eternal, its a very good representation of what the tech can do and its a night and day difference. Once you have seen HDR in that game and play for awhile, then try to go back, its near impossible to not notice just how much of a difference it can be.

Again, I know you are a bit obsessed with this right now, and rightfully so, but hopping from game to game and checking out only 20-30 minutes isn't the way to check out HDR. You have to sit down and play/watch an entire game or move to get the effect. I dont want to blame your tech because thats not what I am trying to get at but you have to understand that with any TV new tech will thrive on the cutting edge first (OLED, QLED) and will trickle down to the mid range over time. Your TV isn't bad by any means but you are only seeing the baseline of what HDR can do.

Not trying to drink the kool aid of HDR, but it really isnt a scam.

The Last of Us 2 has set the bar (imo) for what hdr is capable of. You can turn the hdr on and off in the options. The difference is very stark when you toggle it on and off.

makaveli60

Ok been the genius I am I've realized how we can rule out technical faults.

Gears 5 has a half HDR on image/half off. The difference should be pretty apparent.
How is that possible? The TV can show HDR and SDR at the same time? I don't have gamepass now but I might subscribe just to try this.

Nikana Nikana
Yeah, if more games would be like Doom then I would be ok with it, but sadly no other game offers such options. It seems that the base settings in the other games are not optimal for my TV. And you are right, I'm definitely too obsessed with this, as I'm trying to convince myself that it has worth it. :)

Phunkydiabetic Phunkydiabetic
Help me describe what I should see exactly. I see the difference but it's minimal, really subtle and I always check back and forth to see the difference so it's far from being very stark for me.

Hostile_18

Banned
How is that possible? The TV can show HDR and SDR at the same time? I don't have gamepass now but I might subscribe just to try this.

Nikana Nikana
Yeah, if more games would be like Doom then I would be ok with it, but sadly no other game offers such options. It seems that the base settings in the other games are not optimal for my TV. And you are right, I'm definitely too obsessed with this, as I'm trying to convince myself that it has worth it. :)

Help me describe what I should see exactly. I see the difference but it's minimal, really subtle and I always check back and forth to see the difference so it's far from being very stark for me.

I'm not sure as I have never played it and im a PS4 gamer but I gave it a quick google and its in the settings apparently. Worth a try.

Nikana Nikana

The best way I can describe the sdr image compared to the hdr is "washed out and flat". There is an absence of depth to the picture. TLoU2 is unique in that most of the lighting (at least up to where I am currently at, Hillcrest) is indirect lighting from the sun. Very little artificial lighting. The hdr allows the lighting to be very natural looking because of the increased dynamic range between dark and light. So much of that is crushed in sdr.

makaveli60

The best way I can describe the sdr image compared to the hdr is "washed out and flat". There is an absence of depth to the picture. TLoU2 is unique in that most of the lighting (at least up to where I am currently at, Hillcrest) is indirect lighting from the sun. Very little artificial lighting. The hdr allows the lighting to be very natural looking because of the increased dynamic range between dark and light. So much of that is crushed in sdr.
I don't know, man. All I see is is a bit better colors, and a bit better contrast but it's really subtle for me. I always check back and forth to make sure that there is a difference. This doesn't seem right based on what you wrote.

Kuranghi

makaveli60 makaveli60 Did you go back to the default/standard picture settings, after you tried out the settings given in this thread (From Rikkori)? Or did you keep those on?

I think that could be a big part of the problem here, think of contrast/light levels like a topographical map on your screen, when you are in SDR and have all those settings on (black adjust, advanced contrast enhancer, extended dynamic range and live colour) then its like you are only seeing the tops of the mountains and everthing else is chopped off, whereas when you go to HDR you see the whole depth of the image, but the average height of the peaks is much lower now, loads of "low end" detail (shadows, dark areas), with a bit of "high end" detail (highlights, the moon, fires, candles) and the rest is "middle detail", which is the same as in the SDR version of the image.

In SDR those mountain tops are all very close to each other in height so the image is very bright overall and your eyes don't notice that the blacks are significantly greyer because your eyes have adjusted to most of the image being super bright. I have to play GoT in a dark room to see everything during the darkest parts, like pitch black I mean.

My map analogy is weird I know lol but trying to come up with new ways to describe it, WAIT! Holy crap this random video I just searched for is kind of a great companion to what I wrote above:

So mute that clip and just check out the first few seconds, the cloud layer is perfectly illustrating what I mean above, if you imagine SDR + all those settings on is making it so everything below the cloud line is cut off and only the "peaks" remain, in HDR you are seeing the whole range from "sea level" to the top of the peaks. If you imagine all the bits below the cloud line to be pulled up and compressed into the space between the clouds and the top of the peaks, thats a big part of the reason why you think everything looks so dark I think.

I'm rambling a bit so gonna stop lol

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Nikana Nikana

The gears spilt view thing is in gears 4 as well I believe. Its able to do this by simply removing the color profile on half of the image. Its pretty neat but its something again you will need to play for more than a few minutes to see how the difference is throughout the game.

I have a feeling you wont see nearly as much of a difference in LOUII as IMO was a difference in shadow detail which I have to guess Phunky has an OLED which is capable of perfect blacks.

Whitecrow

Banned
The gears spilt view thing is in gears 4 as well I believe. Its able to do this by simply removing the color profile on half of the image. Its pretty neat but its something again you will need to play for more than a few minutes to see how the difference is throughout the game.

I have a feeling you wont see nearly as much of a difference in LOUII as IMO was a difference in shadow detail which I have to guess Phunky has an OLED which is capable of perfect blacks.
Still, the TV cant reproduce both HDR and SDR at the same time...

makaveli60

makaveli60 makaveli60 Did you go back to the default/standard picture settings, after you tried out the settings given in this thread (From Rikkori)? Or did you keep those on?

I think that could be a big part of the problem here, think of contrast/light levels like a topographical map on your screen, when you are in SDR and have all those settings on (black adjust, advanced contrast enhancer, extended dynamic range and live colour) then its like you are only seeing the tops of the mountains and everthing else is chopped off, whereas when you go to HDR you see the whole depth of the image, but the average height of the peaks is much lower now, loads of "low end" detail (shadows, dark areas), with a bit of "high end" detail (highlights, the moon, fires, candles) and the rest is "middle detail", which is the same as in the SDR version of the image.

In SDR those mountain tops are all very close to each other in height so the image is very bright overall and your eyes don't notice that the blacks are significantly greyer because your eyes have adjusted to most of the image being super bright. I have to play GoT in a dark room to see everything during the darkest parts, like pitch black I mean.

My map analogy is weird I know lol but trying to come up with new ways to describe it, WAIT! Holy crap this random video I just searched for is kind of a great companion to what I wrote above:

So mute that clip and just check out the first few seconds, the cloud layer is perfectly illustrating what I mean above, if you imagine SDR + all those settings on is making it so everything below the cloud line is cut off and only the "peaks" remain, in HDR you are seeing the whole range from "sea level" to the top of the peaks. If you imagine all the bits below the cloud line to be pulled up and compressed into the space between the clouds and the top of the peaks, thats a big part of the reason why you think everything looks so dark I think.

I'm rambling a bit so gonna stop lol

Nah, I'm still using the settings Rikkori Rikkori told me. And I also get what you mean but I still don't get that "wow" feeling with games. And after reading so much about that it's game changing and more important than 4k it doesn't seem right that I'm checking back and forth to even notice any difference. With sentences like these the difference should be obvious, I think. As I told numerous times, with HDR videos I get the difference and not just colors but exactly what you descibed here. When I'm comparing those, the difference is perfectly clear. But with games it's just not there. The differences are really, really minor. After seeing what Doom Eternal can do with some tweaking I think it's maybe because the games are calibrated for different TVs than mine but none of them lets me tweak like Doom does.

Rikkori

Nah, I'm still using the settings Rikkori Rikkori told me. And I also get what you mean but I still don't get that "wow" feeling with games. And after reading so much about that it's game changing and more important than 4k it doesn't seem right that I'm checking back and forth to even notice any difference. With sentences like these the difference should be obvious, I think. As I told numerous times, with HDR videos I get the difference and not just colors but exactly what you descibed here. When I'm comparing those, the difference is perfectly clear. But with games it's just not there. The differences are really, really minor. After seeing what Doom Eternal can do with some tweaking I think it's maybe because the games are calibrated for different TVs than mine but none of them lets me tweak like Doom does.

Honestly I think it just comes down to individual preferences. The point you make about Eternal gives it away, because that's a game that has more fine grained control over HDR and let's you go really wild into vivid territory. So I think it's clear you like a lot of pop to your image and that's simply not what most HDR implementations will give you. That's what I love but I understand when you say that you don't. In the end there's no real way to know until you see it for yourself and have time to enjoy it. There's a lot of subjectivity to picture quality in the end, because we're talking about what each person likes rather than how close does the TV get to the reference image (which is how displays are usually judged).

But don't feel bad for spending more on the TV, because even for non-HDR you get a lot of options to tweak the picture even better compared to if you had went for a lower-end TV. So you can get a lot more of that POP you like with the various XDR, live colour etc settings and the extra brightness alone can also help that a lot. Plus there's a lot of motion settings that you might enjoy playing with as well.

makaveli60

Honestly I think it just comes down to individual preferences. The point you make about Eternal gives it away, because that's a game that has more fine grained control over HDR and let's you go really wild into vivid territory. So I think it's clear you like a lot of pop to your image and that's simply not what most HDR implementations will give you. That's what I love but I understand when you say that you don't. In the end there's no real way to know until you see it for yourself and have time to enjoy it. There's a lot of subjectivity to picture quality in the end, because we're talking about what each person likes rather than how close does the TV get to the reference image (which is how displays are usually judged).

But don't feel bad for spending more on the TV, because even for non-HDR you get a lot of options to tweak the picture even better compared to if you had went for a lower-end TV. So you can get a lot more of that POP you like with the various XDR, live colour etc settings and the extra brightness alone can also help that a lot. Plus there's a lot of motion settings that you might enjoy playing with as well.
You might be right. But it's still strange that others perceive a huge difference where I only see minor, subtle ones between SDR and HDR modes and what confuses me is that with the HDR videos I also see those huge differences, but with games I just don't. Anyway, it seems we just go round and round with all of this. I will update later if anything new comes up. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a Pro yet to try. Thank you again for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

THe thing about HDR is that it allows thing picture to be crafted in a much more granular way than SDR. I suspect thats what you are seeing when you are switching from game to game expecting to see the same different immediately like with Doom Eternal. BUt it can be implemented badly unlike SDR which had been a standard for so long that you basically would have to go out of your way as a creator to use it wrong. HDR does require more work and time but as time goes on that will get better as tools mature. AS well as TV manufactures hopefully getting better at it as panels become better.

I agree that the fine tuning in Doom Eternal should be the standard. Its very impressive the level of control it gives you vs other games that simply have a paperwhite scale.

I still maintain if you watched/played only HDR content for awhile you would start to appreciate the differences but you are not wrong in that its not always an effect that is so prominent like resolution. Its more akin to something like different types of AA or spatial sound where certain methods can cause the image/audio to do different things depending on how you use it.

Dolby Atmos for instance in Modern Warfare is a different game. It turned me from a Atmos fan to an atmos advocate. Where as Atmos in Gears 5 is more subtle and can totally be without and most people wouldn't noitce the lack of a height channel of sound.

But going forward I think you will feel better with your purchase as the tools will only get better and that finer control will hopefully trickle down. Even smaller games like Ori and the WIll of the Wisps patched in finer HDR controls so if a small developer like that is using it, I have to imagine it'll start happening more and be more common.

Last edited:

makaveli60

THe thing about HDR is that it allows thing picture to be crafted in a much more granular way than SDR. I suspect thats what you are seeing when you are switching from game to game expecting to see the same different immediately like with Doom Eternal. BUt it can be implemented badly unlike SDR which had been a standard for so long that you basically would have to go out of your way as a creator to use it wrong. HDR does require more work and time but as time goes on that will get better as tools mature. AS well as TV manufactures hopefully getting better at it as panels become better.

I agree that the fine tuning in Doom Eternal should be the standard. Its very impressive the level of control it gives you vs other games that simply have a paperwhite scale.

I still maintain if you watched/played only HDR content for awhile you would start to appreciate the differences but you are not wrong in that its not always an effect that is so prominent like resolution. Its more akin to something like different types of AA or spatial sound where certain methods can cause the image/audio to do different things depending on how you use it.

Dolby Atmos for instance in Modern Warfare is a different game. It turned me from a Atmos fan to an atmos advocate. Where as Atmos in Gears 5 is more subtle and can totally be without and most people wouldn't noitce the lack of a height channel of sound.

But going forward I think you will feel better with your purchase as the tools will only get better and that finer control will hopefully trickle down. Even smaller games like Ori and the WIll of the Wisps patched in finer HDR controls so if a small developer like that is using it, I have to imagine it'll start happening more and be more common.
I really hope you are right in everything you said. I like the TV, I know it was a good deal, but if I knew before that HDR gaming would be like this I wouldn't have bought it. I would have bought a $400-500 basic 4k TV when nextgen comes and be done with it. Well, now I have to live with my decision and hope that implementations will indeed get better for my taste.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I really hope you are right in everything you said. I like the TV, I know it was a good deal, but if I knew before that HDR gaming would be like this I wouldn't have bought it. I would have bought a $400-500 basic 4k TV when nextgen comes and be done with it. Well, now I have to live with my decision and hope that implementations will indeed get better for my taste.

Are you a movie watcher?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep, but generally I like series more than modern movies. Ironically (considering what we talk about), I enjoy a good story/interesting chacters more than blockbuster movies that are mostly about visuals.

Gothcha. I think its fair to say the movie industry is a ahead of games in the HDR realm so I would incline you try and check that out if you can since you have a One S. Streaming HDR can be good, but the lower bitrate overall makes the image not as refined and clean as a 4K disc, but like with games, not all 4K discs are created equally.

makaveli60

Gothcha. I think its fair to say the movie industry is a ahead of games in the HDR realm so I would incline you try and check that out if you can since you have a One S. Streaming HDR can be good, but the lower bitrate overall makes the image not as refined and clean as a 4K disc, but like with games, not all 4K discs are created equally.
Yeah, I will for sure.

makaveli60

Did you end up checking between HDR videos of games & the way it looks in-game on the PS4? Can't remember if you did.
Yep, and found no differences, besides most of them looking a bit better when I'm playing (colorwise). One instance was better in a Tlou 2 video, the lights in the begining at the snowball fight were noticeably brighter in the youtube (no gamersyde video of tlou 2 hdr) video. I still get brighter lights in HDR mode than in SDR but not as much as in that video.

Rikkori

Yep, and found no differences, besides most of them looking a bit better when I'm playing (colorwise). One instance was better in a Tlou 2 video, the lights in the begining at the snowball fight were noticeably brighter in the youtube (no gamersyde video of tlou 2 hdr) video. I still get brighter lights in HDR mode than in SDR but not as much as in that video.

Aha, I see. Well it's good that you at least know it's not your console/settings. Now you know what your preference is for these sort of techniques, which is gonna be useful in the future when buying a new display (be it TV or anything else).

JeloSWE

I don't know, man. All I see is is a bit better colors, and a bit better contrast but it's really subtle for me. I always check back and forth to make sure that there is a difference. This doesn't seem right based on what you wrote.
My opinion is that you need a TV that does around 1200 nits or more for HDR to start looking great. My TV does 1700nit and it looks really good, I've seen a brighter TV yet, and think only when the TV can do more than 2000 nit continuously will it start looking amazing.

Whitecrow

Banned
If you go to

and check black and white levels, the logos on the HDR calibration tool should look like 244 white, and 1 black.

You should take all the brightness range your TV can display in order to make HDR look as good as possible.

And yes, actually all games takes that calibration into account.

makaveli60

My opinion is that you need a TV that does around 1200 nits or more for HDR to start looking great. My TV does 1700nit and it looks really good, I've seen a brighter TV yet, and think only when the TV can do more than 2000 nit continuously will it start looking amazing.
I don't think brightess is the problem since it can get eye meltingly bright (can't even imagine what a 2000 nits TV could do)

Whitecrow Whitecrow could you elaborate? Where is the HDR test? I opened the page in the TV browser. But I'm not sure if this can be used for hdr calibration since the TV is not showing a hdr picture when browsing that

Whitecrow

Banned
I don't think brightess is the problem since it can get eye meltingly bright (can't even imagine what a 2000 nits TV could do)

Whitecrow Whitecrow could you elaborate? Where is the HDR test? I opened the page in the TV browser. But I'm not sure if this can be used for hdr calibration since the TV is not showing a hdr picture when browsing that
What I mean is:

Just like you can see in that page (in SDR), 244 white level is almost invisible, just like 1 level black.

In the PS4 hdr calibration tool, you should look for tha level of visibility in the logos. Near black and near white are meant to be almost invisible.

PaintTinJr

Also included 2 screenshots, though I assume it doesn't help much, first one is sdr, second is hdr

jxnQyy9.jpg

kb9Ekv0.jpg

BRMAywa.jpg
Don't know if this is useful, but on my Sony KD65-ZD9 - running Ghost in the background - my information screen has HDR in brackets after the RGB: RGB (HDR) - and on the screen above all the settings are set automatic for HDR, Deep Color, etc, and it is explicitly set to 65" in the size option, and mine is an original PS4, too.

If your information screen doesn't change, I would check which hdmi socket numbers your screen says support enhanced mode, where you select that in the TV menu(Settings->External inputs). Failing that I would reset your TV in case you've accidentally overridden a colour mode to something like Adobe RGB or sub Rec 2020, etc, or some other setting that stops the TV letting the PS4 switch mode on that hdmi input (that doesn't stop the youtube app).

Last edited:

makaveli60

Don't know if this is useful, but on my Sony KD65-ZD9 - running Ghost in the background - my information screen has HDR in brackets after the RGB: RGB (HDR) - and on the screen above all the settings are set automatic for HDR, Deep Color, etc, and it is explicitly set to 65" in the size option, and mine is an original PS4, too.

If your information screen doesn't change, I would check which hdmi socket numbers your screen says support enhanced mode, where you select that in the TV menu(Settings->External inputs). Failing that I would reset your TV in case you've accidentally overridden a colour mode to something like Adobe RGB or sub Rec 2020, etc, or some other setting that stops the TV letting the PS4 switch mode on that hdmi input (that doesn't stop the youtube app).
Good catch, I thought we had the culprit, but mine does show that too if GoT is running in HDR, just checked it. I think when I took that picture the HDR mode was off in the game. The other settings you mentioned are also fine, I activated enhanced mode. It is available on hdmi 2 and 3, where the ps4 and xbo are connected respectively.

PaintTinJr

Good catch, I thought we had the culprit, but mine does show that too if GoT is running in HDR, just checked it. I think when I took that picture the HDR mode was off in the game. The other settings you mentioned are also fine, I activated enhanced mode. It is available on hdmi 2 and 3, where the ps4 and xbo are connected respectively.
Maybe turn off the TV's power saving, reset that hdmi2 config settings including the HDR page for it, and failing that, there is a global page where you can set the colour spec for each input and app from auto, rec709, rec2020,etc (can't remember exactly where from memory, Tv is being used).

edit: if you own Death stranding, well worth using the initial HDR setup screen in it to test the Tv's hdr, as the HDR in that game was good enough for my friend to think I was running on a Pro, he was so impressed by the image quality.

Last edited:
According to this picture your PS4 is not outputting a HDR signal. The Color Format should say YUV422(HDR) and not RGB.
This applies only if HDR is currently on. For this u would have to go from a HDR enabled game straight to this setting via the ps button. Otherwise this is what you'll see.

You need a HDMI 2.0 cable for HDR. 1.4 or lower is not working.

This applies only if HDR is currently on. For this u would have to go from a HDR enabled game straight to this setting via the ps button. Otherwise this is what you'll see.

makaveli60

Maybe turn off the TV's power saving, reset that hdmi2 config settings including the HDR page for it, and failing that, there is a global page where you can set the colour spec for each input and app from auto, rec709, rec2020,etc (can't remember exactly where from memory, Tv is being used).

edit: if you own Death stranding, well worth using the initial HDR setup screen in it to test the Tv's hdr, as the HDR in that game was good enough for my friend to think I was running on a Pro, he was so impressed by the image quality.
I don't have that game yet, unfortunately. Testing Gears 5 currenly, but found no option whee re I can see sdr and hdr half pics simultaneously. Hostile_18 Hostile_18 how to find this option? Or is it pc only maybe?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't have that game yet, unfortunately. Testing Gears 5 currenly, but found no option whee re I can see sdr and hdr half pics simultaneously. Hostile_18 Hostile_18 how to find this option? Or is it pc only maybe?

It's def on consoles in gears 4. It was in the brightness option. Maybe the split screen thing is only in 4? :messenger_grimmacing_

Edit: Gears 5 has great HDR by the way. Not as many options as Doom but it's got far more than most games with a good calibration tool.

Last edited:

makaveli60

It's def on consoles in gears 4. It was in the brightness option. Maybe the split screen thing is only in 4? :messenger_grimmacing_

Edit: Gears 5 has great HDR by the way. Not as many options as Doom but it's got far more than most games with a good calibration tool.
Yep, it's only in 4 but damn what a cool feature. This is what I needed. Can clearly see the differences realtime. It clearly looks better and it seems Gears 4 has a good implementation (I liked Gears 5's hdr mode too) however, to conclude, my opinion is the same: HDR definitely adds to the picture, it's a cool thing but I still think that it's a bit overhyped. Not a scam as I said earlier, but saying it's more important than 4k is very hyperbolic IMO. It will be good if more games will let us tweak like Doom Eternal. Anyway, I can rest easy now, knowing that it's the games and not the TV, at least.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yep, it's only in 4 but damn what a cool feature. This is what I needed. Can clearly see the differences realtime. It clearly looks better and it seems Gears 4 has a good implementation (I liked Gears 5's hdr mode too) however, to conclude, my opinion is the same: HDR definitely adds to the picture, it's a cool thing but I still think that it's a bit overhyped. Not a scam as I said earlier, but saying it's more important than 4k is very hyperbolic IMO. It will be good if more games will let us tweak like Doom Eternal. Anyway, I can rest easy now, knowing that it's the games and not the TV, at least.

You must have super fast internet to download gears 4 and 5 in the same day.

I think people like myself would take HDR before 4k because it can actually change how a game looks vs a sharper image. But luckily we don't have to choose.

makaveli60

You must have super fast internet to download gears 4 and 5 in the same day.

I think people like myself would take HDR before 4k because it can actually change how a game looks vs a sharper image. But luckily we don't have to choose.
I'm lucky, because I indeed have a fast internet, but both of them were downloaded actually. I already completed them before and still had them on the hdd fortunately. I'm really relieved now to be honest, seeing the differences side by side.

makaveli60

Ok been the genius I am I've realized how we can rule out technical faults.

Gears 5 has a half HDR on image/half off. The difference should be pretty apparent.
Just loaded up Gears 4 again with this half hdr thing and I think this might be even better than Doom Eternal. The lightnings are insanely cool. This might be the first time I'm impressed with hdr. It was a very good idea from you to check this.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just loaded up Gears 4 again with this half hdr thing and I think this might be even better than Doom Eternal. The lightnings are insanely cool. This might be the first time I'm impressed with hdr. It was a very good idea from you to check this.

giphy.gif

Sounds like someone is starting to see the HDR light. (see what i did there)

makaveli60

giphy.gif

Sounds like someone is starting to see the HDR light. (see what i did there)
Haha, indeed. I can't thank you enough all of you guys. If it weren't for you, I might still feel disappointed in my purchase. Now I know that it's definitely a developer/game thing and not the TV. I'm looking forward to nextgen where I'm sure I will be impressed much more as developers get better in impelementing HDR.

Mister Wolf

How are you enabling HDR on 8 bit color? Windows 10 doesn't stay enabled when I try. 👀

I'm able to output 4K 120Hz RGB Full with HDR at 8bit with dithering or 10bit color with this DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter on my LG C9. You might not have enough bandwidth. I first heard about dithering and what it does on the forums discussing this adapter. The whole reason we had to use 422/420 chroma limited 10 bit on the consoles is because they cant do dithering.

They discuss it here on reddit.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm able to output 4K 120Hz RGB Full with HDR at 8bit with dithering or 10bit color with this DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter on my LG C9. You might not have enough bandwidth. I first heard about dithering and what it does on the forums discussing this adapter. The whole reason we had to use 422/420 chroma limited 10 bit on the consoles is because they cant do dithering.

They discuss it here on reddit.

I think its more important what the engine renders at internally. I checked the difference from 8 up to 14 bit colour with Journey on PC, the graphics were stellar at 4K60 but I had really bad banding in the dark scenes that even my TV's smooth gradation couldn't get rid of so I put it to 30hz so I could do 10 bit, 12 bit and 14 bit colour at 4K.

The banding was either identical or actually worse when I went up the scale. I think this is part of the reason that a 10bit & 8bit+2bit FRC panel doesn't really look much different in practice. For games and movies anyway.

Top Bottom