• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hello Darling, and other Sweethearts

BigBooper

I've been thinking about really turning my life around and wondered if anyone had experience with this kind of situation.

Every woman I talk to in public either calls me sweetheart, sweetie, baby, honey, or another term of endearment along those lines. I haven't been reciprocating that because most guys just don't do that I guess. I want to change that and start calling every woman darling.

Problem is that I've never seen a man talk like that regularly unless he was kind of effeminate, which I'm not, or really old, which I'm not. I'm wondering how the women will react to it. I feel like I have to do it for science though, to see what happens. What do you think?

Relativ9

Turning your life around != calling women sweetheart.

Sounds like you're thinking about this more than should be warranted, meaning it doesn't come natural, meaning it won't be interpreted in the charming way you'd like, meaning you shouldn't do it. Don't feel bad, which pet name you give to women has nothing to do with success in courting them and the only ones that think it does are wannabe pick-up artists.

Cutty Flam

Banned
PpgfcVX.jpg

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've been thinking about really turning my life around and wondered if anyone had experience with this kind of situation.

Every woman I talk to in public either calls me sweetheart, sweetie, baby, honey, or another term of endearment along those lines. I haven't been reciprocating that because most guys just don't do that I guess. I want to change that and start calling every woman darling.

Problem is that I've never seen a man talk like that regularly unless he was kind of effeminate, which I'm not, or really old, which I'm not. I'm wondering how the women will react to it. I feel like I have to do it for science though, to see what happens. What do you think?
Do you have a cockney accent ?
Then darling , Love etc is acceptable. If not , not sure.

Unless I need to be professional, everyday I call all females of any age darling in the same way I refer to males as sir, mate or buddy.

I didn't realise this was a big deal and thought it was just a normal thing to say, I've never once in my life had an adverse reaction by calling someone darling. I wouldn't use sweetheart though.

deafmedal

Darlin and sweetie are common parlance for me, usually for my wife and younger girls. Mating age strangers are Ma’am (even though HR told me it was bad or something), just how it’s always been.

While I’m not afraid of showing my emotions I guarantee there is not much effeminate about this muthafucka here.

INC

I still call older ladies (60+), my love, my dear, darling, because they're use to hearing it, they all speak like that in the UK

I wouldnt say that to any female below that age, I dont wanna risk being labled as a Misogynist

Below 40, its miss or madam, since I'm married and don't wanna be seem to be flirting, not that I know how to now, being married and together for nearly 20years, its not something I even think about

Last edited:

BigBooper

Sorry for insulting the UK gents who are secure in their masculinity. No offense was intended.

I live in the southern US and generally the term men use for women they don't know is ma'am regardless of their age at least around here. I'm going to go for it, not to ask them for a poke, but just to brighten their day. I want to work on doing it kind of like the first line of this song, need to practice though. I won't deny the possibility of autism, because everyone on the internet is I thought.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Change "Darling" with "Bitch" and you will have more sex in life.

And up norfff as well.

"Ere's ya change, love"
"Ta, Cock"
Camp, upper-class drawl luvvies also get away with it.

"You simply must take little Tarquin and Blossom to see Hamilton darling, it's a true delight".

Also West Country accents, which can also go even further with the otherwise way too personal affectation of "My lover", and not get the police called.

Last edited:

MattyH

Where i live (Walsall just outside of Wolverhamption) its either bab or flower or sometimes love or ta, Cock

Top Bottom