• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade enhancements vs GOT directors cuts enhancements (Yes, this is post upset at Sony for charging)

MrFunSocks

Banned
- 6 hours to finish
- Big Story Driven
- 0 gameplay
Same amount of gameplay as most linear cinematic story driven first party exclusives on both consoles.

Watching the comparison video, its a subtle difference most of the time, hard to spot a lot of the time. The easiest place to spot it in that video linked in that tweet is at about 7:30 in the water reflections - with no RT only the sky that is on the screen reflects in the water, so most of the water has no reflection of the sky, whereas with RT the sky that is off screen still reflects.

No it's just confusing at first.

Base PS4 to base ps5 = $10 for owners
Base PS4 to directors cut PS4 = $20 for owners
Base PS4 to directors cut ps5 = $30
"Base" ps5 to directors cut ps5 = $20 (aka expansion cost)
Brand new PS5 owners = $70
I agree..the "its only 10 bucks seems to be thrown around
A majority of players would have already had the ps4 version and are trying it out on ps5 so most of you would be paying $30

And for the uninitiated to sonys rip off pricing you get to pay $70 for a polished ps4 game

Sony fans be like
you cant do that on television nicksplat GIF

MrFunSocks

Banned
Luckily, this is a short-term problem since we'll have PS5/XSX only releases soon so this will quickly become a non-issue. I personally can't wait for that to be the case.

That being said, I'm not paying $10 for HD Rumble and 3D audio lol
"soon" is still likely 2 more years unfortunately.

Kerotan

I'm good. I had a PS5 and a PS4 before that. TLOU2 is woke SJW trash that not everyone agrees is a GOTY, GOT was decent but not a system seller.

I'll be playing Halo Infinite, Perfect Dark Reboot, Starfield, Forza Horizon 5, The next Elder Scrolls, Hellblade 2 and other greats all day 1 on GP.

I wasn't even bragging, just making a point that as ever Sony fan boys simply can't cope with any positive XB news. Literally get over it.
I mean like it is positive but this thread is giving out about Sony. Sony are providing the goods and have been for a decade. The vast majority of PlayStation fans are satisfied. If MS need to give these updates for free which btw doesn't include an expansion so it's not a like for like comparison, and give away all first party games for nothing other then a GP sub then more power too them. You can thank Sony for dominating them because without that MS wouldn't have to go to such extreme measures to compete.

I mean like it is positive but this thread is giving out about Sony. Sony are providing the goods and have been for a decade. The vast majority of PlayStation fans are satisfied. If MS need to give these updates for free which btw doesn't include an expansion so it's not a like for like comparison, and give away all first party games for nothing other then a GP sub then more power too them. You can thank Sony for dominating them because without that MS wouldn't have to go to such extreme measures to compete.

Blah blah fan boy let's defend Sony for everything. Bet that didn't pan out very well when they wanted to shut down certain PSN stores right? Pick and choose eh! The fact that Sony fan boys can even turn XB Pro consumer practices into a desperate negative and a 'win' for Sony is so idiotic its actually really funny.

Enjoy those full price games and Sony screwing you as the consumer. Enjoy this months PS Plus offering!

Kerotan

Blah blah fan boy let's defend Sony for everything. Bet that didn't pan out very well when they wanted to shut down certain PSN stores right? Pick and choose eh! The fact that Sony fan boys can even turn XB Pro consumer practices into a desperate negative and a 'win' for Sony is so idiotic its actually really funny.

Enjoy those full price games and Sony screwing you as the consumer. Enjoy this months PS Plus offering!
I buy lots of Sony games soon after launch for generous discounts. I got god of war day 1 but lots of mates bought it just 6 months later on a $20 sale. As I said I got ghost about 2 months after launch for $40. Phenomenal value for an epic game. Spiderman ultimate edition I got for €40 2 months after launch also. The best games in the business at decent prices. Again we are happy. There's a reason the ps5 is in mega demand.

I buy lots of Sony games soon after launch for generous discounts. I got god of war day 1 but lots of mates bought it just 6 months later on a $20 sale. As I said I got ghost about 2 months after launch for $40. Phenomenal value for an epic game. Spiderman ultimate edition I got for €40 2 months after launch also. The best games in the business at decent prices. Again we are happy. There's a reason the ps5 is in mega demand.
As is the Xbox Series X. Both consoles offer great gaming experiences. Both will have great exclusives. Let's just leave it at that shall we?

Shmunter

Sony’s scumsuckery is not lost on many of us. I can even accept the $10. But forcing me into dlc on top of an upgrade is where I draw the line to turning a blind eye.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sony’s scumsuckery is not lost on many of us. I can even accept the $10. But forcing me into dlc on top of an upgrade is where I draw the line to turning a blind eye.

How are you being "forced" into anything?

Not like they can have the luxury of charging for updates, whatever the complexity of them...I mean, it's an old game, plus who's asking for it...

Frankly, Microsoft should be giving away stuff like this for free to compensate for their horrible game output last generation.

Last edited:

Banned
What Hellblade released today for their enhancements

Ray tracing on both Series X & S
  • Up to 4K resolution
  • Up to 120hz
  • Updated materials, particles and details
  • Chapter select

What GOT is offereing for the ps4 > ps5 upgrades

• Japanese lip-sync
  • Duelsense Support functionality
  • Reduced load times
  • 3D audio
  • Dynamic 4K 60 FPS
Again, charging for the expansion is fine, but this is the 2nd time in two month the competition is offering a more robust technical upgrade for free while us PS5 owners are being charged for what should be free. Having to pay for 4k 60 is the most disappointing part as that is becoming standard now in the industry. I know most ps5 owners won't put pressure on Sony, but this should continued to be pointed out in comparisons every chance they get.

you forgot raytracing in the Hellblade list :)

Banned
I do think its overrated in the area of combat, if you want use the best stance for the enemy type all the time it became quite boring after like 40 hours for me, I started using the wrong stance to make it more exciting.

the fact that there is a correct one for an enemy in the first place is just bad combat design TBH.

I like Tsushima, but I mainly play stealth because the combat is so dull

I agree..the "its only 10 bucks seems to be thrown around
A majority of players would have already had the ps4 version and are trying it out on ps5 so most of you would be paying $30

And for the uninitiated to sonys rip off pricing you get to pay $70 for a polished ps4 game

Sony fans be like
you cant do that on television nicksplat GIF
A game with features that can only be done on the PS5 would qualify it as a PS5 game, secondly the most important part which is the "4K" 60fps is already available for free, if you want the Japanese lip synching, 3D audio and haptics you pay the $10 otherwise you are just fine having the PS4 version playing through BC.

I don't know why so many xbox fans and a few pretending to be PS fans are making such a big deal out of this. Sony actually makes and releases games they need to make money from PlayStation, Xbox hasn't released a new AAA console game since Gears 5 in 2019, Flight Sim is a PC port but either way MS doesn't need xbox to make money so they can try to beat sony the same way they do every other competitor, they take a bigger loss because they basically have a monopoly on PC's and if that doesn't work and depending on how serious they are about gaming they'll just start buying more companies to try to keep content off of PlayStation.

Banned
I'd like to thank all the Xbox players for thinking of us through these hard times as a PS user. Always so outraged on our behalf. Thanks.

A game with features that can only be done on the PS5 would qualify it as a PS5 game, secondly the most important part which is the "4K" 60fps is already available for free, if you want the Japanese lip synching, 3D audio and haptics you pay the $10 otherwise you are just fine having the PS4 version playing through BC.

I don't know why so many xbox fans and a few pretending to be PS fans are making such a big deal out of this. Sony actually makes and releases games they need to make money from PlayStation, Xbox hasn't released a new AAA console game since Gears 5 in 2019, Flight Sim is a PC port but either way MS doesn't need xbox to make money so they can try to beat sony the same way they do every other competitor, they take a bigger loss because they basically have a monopoly on PC's and if that doesn't work and depending on how serious they are about gaming they'll just start buying more companies to try to keep content off of PlayStation.

YOU the Playstation user should be the one complaining. what a dumb stance is it to just bend over and let Sony fuck you in the ass because you happen to own their piece of plastic, and saying anything your "master" might dislike is automatically just labled as something that must come from an Xbox user.

Sony is a shitty company, that's a fact. Microsoft is a shitty company as well, that's also a fact. MOST big companies are pieces of shit that do the bare minimum to keep their customers buying their products.
if you are not even willing to give them negative feedback on their behavior towards next gen upgrades, then what do you think this will lead to? THEY WILL GET WORSE... that's what's gonna happen. Look at Nintendo selling a Wii game with slight adjustments at a price THAT IS HIGHER than the game's original price on Wii. Why? because they can, because enough Nintendo fans bend over and get that full price shlong up their asses and they pay 60 bucks for it too.

So if you wanna bend over and pay 10 bucks every time your slave master Sony whips out his next gen upgrade dildo then keep on bending over.

Last edited:

Concern

Typical Gears tactics doesn't exist, flight sim doesn't count, and all that other funny stuff. Its just too hard for you fanboys to admit when the xbox is actually doing something good lol.

What have we got from Sony after returnal (overpriced indie) and rift apart ? *crickets*

Is Kena going to be their biggest game for the end of the year?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
YOU the Playstation user should be the one complaining. what a dumb stance is it to just bend over and let Sony fuck you in the ass because you happen to own their piece of plastic, and saying anything your "master" might dislike is automatically just labled as something that must come from an Xbox user.

Sony is a shitty company, that's a fact. Microsoft is a shitty company as well, that's also a fact. MOST big companies are pieces of shit that do the bare minimum to keep their customers buying their products.
if you are not even willing to give them negative feedback on their behavior towards next gen upgrades, then what do you think this will lead to? THEY WILL GET WORSE... that's what's gonna happen. Look at Nintendo selling a Wii game with slight adjustments at a price THAT IS HIGHER than the game's original price on Wii. Why? because they can, because enough Nintendo fans bend over and get that full price shlong up their asses and they pay 60 bucks for it too.

So if you wanna bend over and pay 10 bucks every time your slave master Sony whips out his next gen upgrade dildo then keep on bending over.

On the other hand you could just act like an adult and make a decision -based on the value of the upgrade to you- and buy or pass accordingly.

The reality is that I cannot imagine many people are going to want the upgrade but not the expansion, so the value of that package as whole is what's going to make or break it.

Not saying it’s justifiable or right, but I think one of the reasons Sony is charging for upgrades is because they are on top of the industry and their games typically sell really well. Did Hellblade sell enough to warrant an upgrade charge compared to a popular game like GOT or Spider-Man? Why people gotta pay for GTA5 a third time while we get games like Yakuza:LAD, Mortal Shell and even the fairly popular FF7:Remake upgrades for free?

I have a feeling if Microsoft and Sony switched positions, Microsoft would be doing the things Sony is doing now like charging for upgrades and $70 games. Remember XBOX Live’s recent and ridiculous price hike for example? Being on top can make you sanctimonious while being behind can humble you and make you try harder.

Orion2

Banned
Death Stranding
Ghosts of Tsushima

Both directors cuts both $10 for the dynamic 4K60 options
Death Stranding is actually native 4k 30 and probably ~1440p/60, also has an ultra wide mode
Tsushima is advertised as dynamic 4k/60, but we don't know what that means as "dynamic 4k" is not what dynamic 4k actually means for Sony, Sony uses "dynamic 4k" as a marketing phrase for checkerboard rendering based on the past so we'll have to wait and see on Tsushima

Can I get a list of the games sony updated to 4k60 and charged for them updates?
i think the real question should be more like..how many paid remasters has sony released and most likely how many more are we likely to get under the guise of "Directors cut"
with minimal tweaks and added content ....its a very blurred line

List GIF by memecandy

But its a quick and easy of making extra money out of you all without much effort required and you all keep falling for the same crap while sony has gradually made you pay for stuff that you should not have to
wait and see them try and bundle factions 2 as part of a LOU2 directors cut and charge you $30 for it....you will all just smile and forget that LOU1 has this feature for free and it was actually meant to be part of LOU2 before it was cut

Bend Over GIF by memecandy

MrFunSocks

Banned
i think the real question should be more like..how many paid remasters has sony released and most likely how many more are we likely to get under the guise of "Directors cut"
with minimal tweaks and added content ....its a very blurred line

List GIF by memecandy

But its a quick and easy of making extra money out of you all without much effort required and you all keep falling for the same crap while sony has gradually made you pay for stuff that you should not have to
wait and see them try and bundle factions 2 as part of a LOU2 directors cut and charge you $30 for it....you will all just smile and forget that LOU1 has this feature for free and it was actually meant to be part of LOU2 before it was cut

Bend Over GIF by memecandy
Weren't the rumours that Sony are doing a remaster of a remaster of TLOU for PS5?

Fredrik

The upgrade and the dlc are tied at the hip, one cannot experience thevps5 upgrades without purchasing the dlc even if one does not want the dlc.

Or is this a generic, “you don’t have to buy anything” argument?
Can’t you just upgrade the base PS4 version to the base PS5 version for $10?

That’s what my earlier comment was about. $30 to even get to play the PS5 update would definitely be a bit much.

Shmunter

That’s what my earlier comment was about. $30 to even get to play the PS5 update would definitely be a bit much.
Unless something has changed, a $10 upgrade option doesn’t exist for the base game.

I have the game in my backlog since launch, I want to play the best version, but I don’t want the dlc content. I may burn out just on the base game itself not being a fan of open world at the best of times.

So I’m left in a no mans land, pay $30 to play the desirable PS5 version, or play PS4 version on my PS5, or fuck the game off completely.

The money is actually inconsequential in all this to me personally, but I’m not shy to stand on principle.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

No. you have to buy the DLC first for $20 on PS4. Then if you want to get the same DLC on PS5, you have to pay the $10 surcharge.

bender

What time is it?

$10 is the equivalent of letting someone fuck you in the ass?

rick-james.gif

Fredrik

Unless something has changed, a $10 upgrade option doesn’t exist for the base game.

I have the game in my backlog since launch, I want to play the best version, but I don’t want the dlc content. I may burn out just on the base game itself not being a fan of open world at the best of times.

So I’m left in a no mans land, pay $30 to play the desirable PS5 version, or play PS4 version on my PS5, or fuck the game off completely.

The money is actually inconsequential in all this to me personally, but I’m not shy to stand on principle.
Yeah I’m kinda in the same boat. Bought it at launch but stopped playing after maybe 15 hours. Adding $30 on top of the $60 for the PS4 version I never really played would be too much, as a principle like you say, since I don’t even know if I’ll ever reach the DLC content.

ZywyPL

Banned
Fun fact: people who defend Sony for their recent practices also shit on EA/Ubi/Acti for doing exactly the same. If it was about me I'd patch every PS4 1st party title (there aren't that many of them after all) with 4K60FPS, DualSense/SSD/3D audio support, to show off what the console is capable of, as of now it's kind of a false/empty marketing with fancy GCI animations instead of actual games, where they already advertise the console's features with * - if supported/patched/added/implemented etc., they should also add * - if you pay us sucker. But it's all up to the audience, if people don't mind paying extra for the features the console already has, for the features they bought the console for, then the trend will only continue, but don't cry next time when EA charges you for RT.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Mostly because the have the better backwards compatibility infrastructure. If things have to be upgraded manually, the more likely it won't be free.

In some way everything has to be manually upgraded. The code doesn't auto generate.

But Microsofts infrastructure regarding this are probably generations ahead.

JoeBudden

"scumsuckery"? Lmao

There was a whole free Legends expansion last year, and a free PS5 60 FPS patch. The Rivals expansion was announced for September is free too.

Yeah, sure, they don't gotta charge for the full remaster and single player expansion, but they also didn't have to give away all this other content for absolutely free.

Foh with your "principles" talk lmao

Tomeru

The upgrade and the dlc are tied at the hip, one cannot experience the ps5 upgrades without purchasing the dlc even if one does not want the dlc.

Or is this a generic, “you don’t have to buy anything brah” argument?
Are we really comparing graphical touchups to actual gameplay features/content?

The game already go the 4k60 treatment for free. Like other 1st party titles.

Between the two titles in op, only one got both free graphical and gameplay content for free.

Top Bottom