• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 Quality Is “Through the Roof”, Ninja Theory Combat Designer Says; Combat Experience Different Compared to Its Predecessor

Astral Dog

I think people are forgetting what the intent of the original game even was. To "experience" what it might be like to be someone with mental illness/schizophrenia. Which is why you would hear the voices talking to you in surround sound. I get wanting to have empathy for people with mental issues, but I really don't see how that was a good idea for an entertainment product. And it showed. They focused so much on that, everything else was just not good. It was all about graphics and hearing voices in your head. The puzzles were rudimentary, the combat was not fun. It just wasn't a good game.

So, if that was the "gameplay reveal" describe the game to me? I know they also mentioned that you could "control" it during that sequence but ... well it remains to be seen what can be done. I don't think anyone is shook. We still haven't see anything of any depth, just a demo reel with no UI, no indication of how it plays, nothing. Just graphics. And it looks like a current gen console game, awesome. I have the XSX. I have GP Ultimate. I will play this. And I think the first game was a turd, for design and gameplay reasons. The visuals were really good for their day, and that was the main attraction even then. Everything else felt like a slog, and the theme of the game is just not something I'm into.

Again, it's ok to want more info before making up your mind. Ninja Theory doesn't nave this amazing track record so ... we need to wait and see.

And yes, a developer saying their own quality is "through the roof" compared to the first game is a silly statement and just more PR. Let your work do the talking. That goes for anything, really.
Hardcore gamerz like to believe graphics are everything on a videogame, they hype the visuals way too much because that's what sells those new plastic boxes, mediocre games with good graphics and a 'strong narrative' get the same review scores as games built with rewarding game mechanics and flawless controls, it is what it is

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Um, yeah. Except they actually showed gameplay that looked better than any game ever made, ever! Got damn brov! I feel like some of y'all be responding with a hand that come straight out the damn bootyhole. TF. Legit shit posts galore!
Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

Lupin25

This. Why are these users wasting time with bullshit complaints? Do they do this in every thread where developers comment on upcoming games? No. Do they post in evey game thread saying developers should shut up until they have gameplay to show? No (despite seeing gameplay to a limited extent).

The only difference is this is an xbox game which brings with it a un even and often heavy handed critical response to simple things, like a trailer being shown early. Nobody does that right? Sony showed a god of war logo and people got all up into a frenzy about it. Did these same people respond the same way? Of course not.

To be fair, why would they?

It’s Sony Santa Monica and God of War has hit legendary acclaim as a franchise, so they have absolutely nothing to prove at this point.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to tangibly “see” an improvement upon a game “before” it’s actually spoken about. They haven’t shown that yet, but they’ve released a statement.

Wtf do you want everyone to say, exactly? Lol.

Edit: We just want to see those improvements, (because they weren’t shown in the recent demo).

Last edited:

EDMIX

Is it just me or...nobody actually cares or talk about Hellblade 1 and suddently people are hyping up Hellblade 2?

lol

I like the first game, but Hellblade 2 looks to be more open, more combat, more everthing then the first. So it wouldn't shock me that 2 moves more units then 1 and you have millions who never played 1 but played 2 or something. So someone can hype up 2 and not care about 1.

Put it this way, Resident Evil 2 sold more then 1 by a lot, like a massive amount.

So sure, you could say something like "Is it just me or...nobody actually cares or talk about Resident Evil 1 and suddently people are hyping up Resident Evil 2?"

All that means sir is people didn't take to the mansion like they took to the city and people want to see what Leon and Claire are like vs Chris and Jill. Same IP, same genre, but different vibe, setting, location might make for a different install base of interest too, even with the character remaining the same btw.

Look at the God Of War Reboot, it moved 20 million units.....so....yea a lot didn't are for the other God Of War game prior to the same degree as God Of War 2018, but clearly that game was doing something different enough to bring in new gamers to the IP. So its not as wild as it sounds, not ever game is moving 1.1 default of what the last moved and above.

Sometimes less.

Some times more.

Fredrik

Is it just me or...nobody actually cares or talk about Hellblade 1 and suddently people are hyping up Hellblade 2?

It’s just you. It was a very unique experience, made with a smaller team and budget but still felt nearly like a AAA game, with 80+ Metascore on all platforms for both critics and users. No reason to be surprised that people are hyped for Hellblade 2 now that they have a bigger team and access to a bigger budget. But I do wonder how they can make the sequel feel as unique.

Last edited:
I agree, combat wasn't it's strong point
It was more the experience and journey.
It's still shocks me they turned this
AVvXsEgKAz5gN0wS_qO94lCDOvpuU9jVSAYHzxplnOEBsZCav5W_WtrkWPhFkSY03F5CB6eOMRPCspvNq1jVdtRxgHwnSHkQG7NCPzfQr7MEwB-NYXZ3TdOyVSHuzLhkjo1F_gVMDdWvA-O1j73MGLAjidesd4T7WbPpS6dLlfFDzAMFBJ5Tx3wl6kB9WeMb=s16000

To this
senuas-saga-hellblade-2-screenshot-image-02.jpg

......do you feel the same way when an attractive actress transforms herself into a role far beyond her usual appearance?

I mean, I don't get your point?

I'm all for retaining feminine beauty in gaming, but wtf do you expect whatsherface to look like within the context of the games lore?

DavidGzz

What I would love is Elden Ring like meatiness with damage exactly where the weapon connects and dismemberment, especially with the killing blow.

No one really knew about Demon Souls, either, at first. Guess how far that took off after the sequels?

It's kind of how small obscure game that turned into cult hits spiral into a series, and later, a franchise.

DavidGzz

I agree, combat wasn't it's strong point
It was more the experience and journey.
It's still shocks me they turned this
AVvXsEgKAz5gN0wS_qO94lCDOvpuU9jVSAYHzxplnOEBsZCav5W_WtrkWPhFkSY03F5CB6eOMRPCspvNq1jVdtRxgHwnSHkQG7NCPzfQr7MEwB-NYXZ3TdOyVSHuzLhkjo1F_gVMDdWvA-O1j73MGLAjidesd4T7WbPpS6dLlfFDzAMFBJ5Tx3wl6kB9WeMb=s16000

To this
senuas-saga-hellblade-2-screenshot-image-02.jpg

Girls don't look like the above pic 24/7. No makeup, dirt, and a screaming face is worlds apart from makeup, good lighting, and good angles. Looks like a realistic woman without access to toothpaste and makeup. You're lucky she doesn't have a nice beard and body hair.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I thought the combat was OK/fine in the first game. The biggest issue imo was the repetitive puzzles, I hope they focus more on making a lot more interesting, clever and varied puzzles in the next one.

nemiroff

Gold Member
What the fuck is going on in this thread.. It's like holy shit, are you sure you ALSO go into your favorite games' threads with the same stern concerns..? Or double standards much..? I mean, We ALL criticized the combat and the puzzles (which was only a supporting role for the psychological journey), that's a beaten horse at this stage. It's not about believing or not believing, so keep your patronizing concerns to yourselves. This is about moving forward and getting a solid confirmation they are focused on the right things. It's good to see they have their priorities straight.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

luffie

2077 was also through the roof before it was released.

Then it was "down" through the roof when we receive it.

Don't believe the hype anymore. So far those that really deliver on what they promised are Guerilla and From.

It's 16x the details! All over again.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
......do you feel the same way when an attractive actress transforms herself into a role far beyond her usual appearance?

I mean, I don't get your point?

I'm all for retaining feminine beauty in gaming, but wtf do you expect whatsherface to look like within the context of the games lore?
Girls don't look like the above pic 24/7. No makeup, dirt, and a screaming face is worlds apart from makeup, good lighting, and good angles. Looks like a realistic woman without access to toothpaste and makeup. You're lucky she doesn't have a nice beard and body hair.
Dave Chappelle Gotcha GIF

I was joking

oldergamer

To be fair, why would they?

It’s Sony Santa Monica and God of War has hit legendary acclaim as a franchise, so they have absolutely nothing to prove at this point.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to tangibly “see” an improvement upon a game “before” it’s actually spoken about. They haven’t shown that yet, but they’ve released a statement.

Wtf do you want everyone to say, exactly? Lol.

Edit: We just want to see those improvements, (because they weren’t shown in the recent demo).
See that's the double standard they have shown more then what sony showed. Both are established development studios that have been around for a long time. Sony developers often post things that get taken as gospel. What you posted above boils down to ( ...and I'm paraphrasing... ) - Its Sony, so why wouldn't they?

IMO outside of the graphics improvement and cinematics in the new game, I felt the god of war games that predated it were better gameplay wise. More action filled imo.

Honestly, I'd want people to treat these games and comments in a similar way. Instead its a mistrust of anything that comes from Xbox and automatic trust for anything that comes out of Sony developers.

Lognor

Banned
I did not play Hellblade until a month or so ago. But it's great. I don't know why the first game didn't get any praise (or maybe I missed it). The sound design is fantastic, and yes, the combat is shallow, but it's quite the experience. If they can build upon the gameplay I think Hellblade 2 could be fantastic.

I did not play Hellblade until a month or so ago. But it's great. I don't know why the first game didn't get any praise (or maybe I missed it). The sound design is fantastic, and yes, the combat is shallow, but it's quite the experience. If they can build upon the gameplay I think Hellblade 2 could be fantastic.

It was praised at release but mainly for the depiction of psychosis.

oldergamer

Um, yeah. Except they actually showed gameplay that looked better than any game ever made, ever! Got damn brov! I feel like some of y'all be responding with a hand that come straight out the damn bootyhole. TF. Legit shit posts galore!
i wouldn't go as far as to say gameplay, but it had some seriously cool visuals.

nemiroff

Gold Member

When reading about the game on gaf I don't blame you for thinking it got no praise.. There's a lot of "concern" going on here.. But the fact is that Hellblade is a highly acclaimed game, especially praised for its depiction of mental illness. It was also made by a tiny studio.. Most of those who enjoyed the game still have legitimate criticism of some aspects of the game, some addressed by the developer, hence the origin of this thread. A nuanced noise-less interpretation of what the developers are saying is that they've been taking in the criticism of Hellblade and trying to do better for Hellblade 2. For many of us this confirmation has good value.

Lognor

Banned
When reading about the game on gaf I don't blame you for thinking it got no praise.. There's a lot of "concern" going on here.. But the fact is that Hellblade is a highly acclaimed game, especially praised for its depiction of mental illness. It was also made by a tiny studio.. Most of those who enjoyed the game still have legitimate criticism of some aspects of the game, some addressed by the developer, hence the origin of this thread. A nuanced noise-less interpretation of what the developers are saying is that they've been taking in the criticism of Hellblade and trying to do better for Hellblade 2. For many of us this confirmation has good value.
So is Hellblade 2 being made by a larger studio? Hellblade is very impressive, more so if it's true that it was made by a small studio. Hope that Ninja Theory gets the budget it needs to make a better game with the sequel.

oldergamer

So is Hellblade 2 being made by a larger studio? Hellblade is very impressive, more so if it's true that it was made by a small studio. Hope that Ninja Theory gets the budget it needs to make a better game with the sequel.
It's being made by a larger team. the original was created with around 22 people. Which is impressive just based on what they were able to achieve. Now they have a big-time budget and have a larger dev team.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Double the number of developers for Hellblade, but still only 40-ish developers. It's still a tiny team in the bigger picture.

was expecting im to say the combat is shit but this changes everything!

You started out on that sentence like a sleepy and lethargic dog out from the vet's; Tried your best to keep on your paws to be unique, but failed miserably. You immediately missed the uppercase key and fucked up writing the simplest of three-letter words.. But I gotta say, you made a nice recovery at the end there; You actually managed to muster up enough energy to type an exclamation mark! So congrats on.. on that, I guess.

Last edited:
So many replies about being the highest rated publisher on Metacritic last year 😂

You know a publisher could release 1 game with a score of 90 and another could release 10 games with a score of 90 plus one game with a score of 89 and the former would be the highest rated on average? I know Metacritic do alter the calculation a bit to try to adjust for this, so it’s not quite that simple.

Regardless, the point is, the average score as a black and white figure doesn’t give enough context. Microsoft have this bad habit of announcing games 3-5 years before release with a CGI trailer and then showing little of substance for a long time while coming out with hype comments, I think it’s a frustrating way to do things, that’s all.

Last edited:
Yeah, we heard these xbox people going crazy over Halo:I and FH5 last year... It wa sall great, I can't wait for this game to show so we can see who the real leader of SP gaming is!

Top Bottom