• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hell Freezes Over as XBOX outsells PS5 in Japan

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Gz5CBPe.jpg

ls6SOEj.jpg

4SoAqyx.jpg

(Pls don't ((perma)) ban me, I love bloodborne and the yakuza on the ps4)
People calling him a child for this post, when the actual children are the ones getting mad at some wojaks.

Party's over lads.
Far from it. Frathouses across Japan are exploding with hardcore Xbox gamers; they're necking Budweisser and listening to Blink-182 and doing rounds of Halo and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

People calling him a child for this post, when the actual children are the ones getting mad at some wojaks.

Those wokaks suck ass though.

As almost any wojak. Only ones I like are the edits of those two dudes outside a vegetarian fried chicken store. Good stuff.
Most memes suck because most of them are made by children who, due to labour laws (which will hopefully be abolished in the coming dystopia), have a lot of free time. Wojaks are fine though. They're funny.

Oh yeah also to all the coping losers out there saying that the Playstation is selling 50 more units than Xbox now so it's over, uh actually, that's just because they're running out of Xboxes to sell. Checkmate.

I'm not surprised.

Playstation has been dropping balls with playstation 5 thanks to them catering to the western market and Xbox has been steadily improving their services.

The real reason is because PS5 supply is just woefully short in Japan and Series supply isn't as bad. That's all there is to it, really. We're still talking about a system that is 1.6 million units behind PS5 LTD, so we clearly know which one has more demand in the country.

IMO the test for if Xbox is doing "the best it's ever done" in Japan is going to depend on if it can outsell the 360 there (1.6 million LTD), or generate clearly more revenue in Japan than the 360 did. Because as much as people like to think Series numbers in the region so far are historic, they're purposefully only comparing that to the XBO, which didn't even try in the Japanese region.

The 360 did try, at least for a while, and that's why it's still the best-performing Xbox in the Japanese market.

This is most likely do to the inability to get a PS5. That's pretty much the reason I went for Series X instead.

Also, Sony has taken this weird turn and completely turned Western and feels the need to pump their SJW agendas into nearly every game.

So Xbox heads using she/he/her/they/them/zir/xir pronouns doesn't qualify as "SJW"? MS studios putting Pride emblems and items into their big 1P games doesn't qualify as "SJW"? 343i trying (and utterly failing) at a Juneteeth Halo Infinite plate isn't "SJW"?

At least use a reasoning that actually makes some sense and isn't hypocritical, if you really believe in this stuff or the whole SJW/anti-SJW culture war (which IMO is mostly pointless. Mostly) 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Both have to deal with the chip situation, but Xbox has the Series S which we've seen to be much more plentiful and easier to produce than the X, which is probably about as hard to make as a PS5.

Not that they aren't doing anything else competently but obviously the easy and cheap availability of the S is a HUGE part of the success over there.
But didn't the Series X sell more than the Series S? But you are right Series S Is a cheap entry point into current gen. Seems like a good idea after all.

reksveks

The real reason is because PS5 supply is just woefully short in Japan and Series supply isn't as bad. That's all there is to it, really. We're still talking about a system that is 1.6 million units behind PS5 LTD, so we clearly know which one has more demand in the country.

IMO the test for if Xbox is doing "the best it's ever done" in Japan is going to depend on if it can outsell the 360 there (1.6 million LTD), or generate clearly more revenue in Japan than the 360 did. Because as much as people like to think Series numbers in the region so far are historic, they're purposefully only comparing that to the XBO, which didn't even try in the Japanese region.

The 360 did try, at least for a while, and that's why it's still the best-performing Xbox in the Japanese market.
I don't think you are arguing this but do you think a meaningful part of the reason that Xbox is selling is cause of the lack of a PS5. I am not sure about that.

Yeah, the real comparison for that bolded quote gets a bit more complicated now cause of PC Game Pass but yeah, the real comparison is the X360. I think the comparison to the OG is also a good one.

So Xbox heads using she/he/her/they/them/zir/xir pronouns doesn't qualify as "SJW"? MS studios putting Pride emblems and items into their big 1P games doesn't qualify as "SJW"? 343i trying (and utterly failing) at a Juneteeth Halo Infinite plate isn't "SJW"?

At least use a reasoning that actually makes some sense and isn't hypocritical, if you really believe in this stuff or the whole SJW/anti-SJW culture war (which IMO is mostly pointless. Mostly) 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, the culture war things don't have to make sense to some of these people.

Fbh

The Lite is by far the least popular Switch version in Japan, at most you could say that Japan wants hybrid gaming. But really its about the games. To do well in Japan you need to have the right software, and they are still playing a lot of traditional games.

Yeah software is definitely important too. I don't think making a portable is an instant recipe for success in japan. Even more so since Nintendo is the only one of the big 3 still consistently making games in Japan, Xbox has never had much of a presence there and Sony has basically given up on Japanese games aside from securing some timed exclusives with Square.

But I do think portability is very important there and I think the Switch wouldn't have been as successful if it had launched with the exact same Software but as a traditional home console.

Switch Lite doesn't sell that much because it honestly kinda sucks. You loose being able to hook it up to the TV which is nice even if you don't use it often, you loose the detachable controllers and easy portable local coop and maybe more importantly, it has the worst battery life out of any model.

On a similar note the OLED has consistently been the best selling model in Japan and all the upgrades it got (mainly the nicer, bigger OLED Screen and better audio) pretty much exclusively affect portable gaming.

I don't think you are arguing this but do you think a meaningful part of the reason that Xbox is selling is cause of the lack of a PS5. I am not sure about that.

Personally I do think that is a factor, particularly if we're talking about places where Xbox has generally been weak market-wise compared to PlayStation, Japan being one of them. However, I would never say that's exclusively the reason why Series are doing better; they have their own value propositions and people aren't going to just spend $300 or $500 for something they didn't have some desire for just because another product they may've wanted isn't available.

Otherwise they would just wait until that product was available (and I think we're also seeing more people do both, picking up something they may've considered as a backup or "to-get-later" priority ahead of time since it's more readily available, then picking up what they had as higher priority when it's actually available).

Yeah, the real comparison for that bolded quote gets a bit more complicated now cause of PC Game Pass but yeah, the real comparison is the X360. I think the comparison to the OG is also a good one.

I think comparing Series to 360 and OG get interesting because for me it's not just about sales numbers. 360 and OG both actually got a good lot of rather big, exclusive Japanese 3P AAA games. Dead or Alive 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF, Outrun 2 (at least until the PS2 port), Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Otogi, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Dead or Alive 4, Lost Planet 1 & 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc.

I think they both also delivered better early on with exclusive software that showcased their fuller capabilities clearly, partly because they had some great showcases at launch. Also when factoring in Western 3P exclusives support, the 360 especially had a good deal of that going from early on, which we haven't seen very much of for Xbox Series in the AAA variety.

Yeah, the culture war things don't have to make sense to some of these people.

Obviously 🤣. It's whatever they have to think in order to bash one brand just to prop up another. I don't even think there's a point to it anymore.

reksveks

Personally I do think that is a factor, particularly if we're talking about places where Xbox has generally been weak market-wise compared to PlayStation, Japan being one of them. However, I would never say that's exclusively the reason why Series are doing better; they have their own value propositions and people aren't going to just spend $300 or $500 for something they didn't have some desire for just because another product they may've wanted isn't available.

Otherwise they would just wait until that product was available (and I think we're also seeing more people do both, picking up something they may've considered as a backup or "to-get-later" priority ahead of time since it's more readily available, then picking up what they had as higher priority when it's actually available).
It would been interesting if we could get a similar yougov poll on this issue during a non-holiday period.

I think comparing Series to 360 and OG get interesting because for me it's not just about sales numbers. 360 and OG both actually got a good lot of rather big, exclusive Japanese 3P AAA games. Dead or Alive 3, Panzer Dragoon Orta, JSRF, Outrun 2 (at least until the PS2 port), Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Otogi, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Dead or Alive 4, Lost Planet 1 & 2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon etc.

I think they both also delivered better early on with exclusive software that showcased their fuller capabilities clearly, partly because they had some great showcases at launch. Also when factoring in Western 3P exclusives support, the 360 especially had a good deal of that going from early on, which we haven't seen very much of for Xbox Series in the AAA variety.
Yeah, I am more focused on the sales numbers and weirdly MS Store support (not doing great on that front) . I don't think we are going to get a similar number of JP exclusive games. Most of the publishing deals seems to be for western studios.

Yeah, there is a lack of AAA exclusives irrespective of Western devs or JP. The most that Xbox is doing at the moment is signing up GP deals.

Woopah

Yeah software is definitely important too. I don't think making a portable is an instant recipe for success in japan. Even more so since Nintendo is the only one of the big 3 still consistently making games in Japan, Xbox has never had much of a presence there and Sony has basically given up on Japanese games aside from securing some timed exclusives with Square.

But I do think portability is very important there and I think the Switch wouldn't have been as successful if it had launched with the exact same Software but as a traditional home console.

Switch Lite doesn't sell that much because it honestly kinda sucks. You loose being able to hook it up to the TV which is nice even if you don't use it often, you loose the detachable controllers and easy portable local coop and maybe more importantly, it has the worst battery life out of any model.

On a similar note the OLED has consistently been the best selling model in Japan and all the upgrades it got (mainly the nicer, bigger OLED Screen and better audio) pretty much exclusively affect portable gaming.
Yeah I agree with all of that, except to say that Sony's problems in Japan come less from them not making Japanese games (thought that is part of it) and more that Japanese third parties have failed at appealing to their domestic market in recent years.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I'm glad you don't care much for the SJW/Anti-SJW culture war, because you're right it is all stupid. But it will forever be weird to me that the bolded is supposed to be treated as some sort of bad thing that deserves a label.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm glad you don't care much for the SJW/Anti-SJW culture war, because you're right it is all stupid. But it will forever be weird to me that the bolded is supposed to be treated as some sort of bad thing that deserves a label.
It is when they're selective about it. They don't do it in Middle Eastern or Asian countries, i.e., hollow virtue.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It is when they're selective about it. They don't do it in Middle Eastern or Asian countries, i.e., hollow virtue.

Weirdly enough, I can understand not doing it in Middle Eastern countries. But in Asia? Why not? But either way, it does get on my nerves that these things can't be in all versions of the game (regardless of country). I get that things are a business, but where's their core moral compass?

But I guess business is gonna business. This same thing happens in movies too when it comes to China.

It would been interesting if we could get a similar yougov poll on this issue during a non-holiday period.

Agreed. I think the closest thing we have to measure are various Google Trends statistics, but those are based on searches and not all searches are due to people interested in buying a platform. I guess things like Amazon wishlist rankings would be another way to measure demand, or sales volume relative to available supply, etc.

Yeah, I am more focused on the sales numbers and weirdly MS Store support (not doing great on that front) . I don't think we are going to get a similar number of JP exclusive games. Most of the publishing deals seems to be for western studios.

Yeah, there is a lack of AAA exclusives irrespective of Western devs or JP. The most that Xbox is doing at the moment is signing up GP deals.

It's these reasons why I can't say I'm 100% onboard with Microsoft's direction software-wise. When it was looking like 2022 was going to be a wash for Xbox WRT big AAA exclusives, I'm sure some of us thought they would've tried snagging some type of upcoming 3P AAA game for GamePass Day 1 on console. Gotham Knights, Saint's Row, etc. They seemingly haven't done that and probably aren't planning to.

When MS announced the partnership with Sega, I was seriously thinking (hoping) that it'd mean some revivals of stuff like Panzer Dragoon, Outrun, maybe Fighting Vipers etc. or stuff like MS vs Sega in the Virtua Fighter engine, etc. along AAA variety. That didn't happen, though we're getting (albeit live-service/GaaS-centric) JSR and Crazy Taxi games, not quite the format I was expecting those to come back in.

Then combined with some of the recent stuff that came out about them passing up on games like KOTOR Remake and it just left a pretty sour taste in my mouth WRT MS's pushes for 3P AAA content as exclusives to drive the console forward. Sometimes I feel GamePass is too much a part of their strategy, but maybe that's just me.

The way I see it as long as these companies aren't blatantly doing it to just virtue-signal, but because they genuinely care, and they aren't letting it get in the way of the quality of their games (i.e don't do stuff like what Take-Two did for their E3 press conference last year; there's a time and place for that but it's not at something like E3), and they aren't using it to attack their fanbases (there are always a few troubling idiot bigots in any community but just silently ignore them and shut them out, don't put them on the stage with a spotlight that's mostly what they want IMO), then cool.

Unfortunately when you have companies like 343i completely screwing up their own stuff like with the Juneteeth plates, it makes their pushes ring hallow and insincere/fake and I think that's something that legit turns a lot of people off, for good reason. It's kind of like if some companies really cared about this stuff they'd do better than to make very obvious mistakes like that.

But yeah, generally speaking the whole culture war IMO is just dumb and played-out at this point, feels like a lot of both sides going in circles for drama. I think it's also mostly a youth/teenager kind of phase thing or for those just getting into their college phase. I think (hope) most adults grow out of it once they reach drinking age 🤣

That's definitely a part of it, too. When you look at the kind of marketing some companies like Disney do for stuff here in America, marketing that tends to antagonize the fanbase and insult the majority for the actions of a very small, fringe minority, and that these companies do it on purpose, it's really suspect. Partly because we know they don't use those same divisive marketing tactics in other countries.

Or things like when they have same-sex kiss scenes in a movie for America but then remove those scenes in a lot of foreign markets. I brought up Disney because they're one of the worst, one of the most guilty with those types of tactics. It just emboldens the dumb culture war.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Weirdly enough, I can understand not doing it in Middle Eastern countries. But in Asia? Why not? But either way, it does get on my nerves that these things can't be in all versions of the game (regardless of country). I get that things are a business, but where's their core moral compass?

But I guess business is gonna business. This same thing happens in movies too when it comes to China.
Because you're conditioned to. And again, it's hollow virtue. Don't do business in said countries if you truly stand by your moral conviction, all while brow beating others you're allowed to in.

At the end of the day, they're playing us all with this shit.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because you're conditioned to. And again, it's hollow virtue. Don't do business in said countries if you truly stand by your moral conviction, all while brow beating others you're allowed to in.

At the end of the day, they're playing us all with this shit.
I was going to say the same thing reading the various posts above. If it's that bad ethically, then pack up shop and leave.

Nope. Because at the end of the day, the almighty dollar always rules.

Shmunter

It’s all about buttering their bread on the side that’s greenest. They associate woke as the current and primary audience. This audience doesn’t exist outside of the west, so there is no interest.

Companies paying for abortions? Doesn’t take an accountant to realise it is more economical for a workforce at work vs one on paid parental leave.

Last edited:
Japanese people are quite different to Westerners.
They jump on and off fads quicker than you can blink.
15 years ago K1 was the biggest show on earth for them.
It sold out 100k arenas. The fighters couldn't walk the streets. They were on game shows, in every second TV advert, now.....it's dead.
They could jump onto Xcloud and GP in a big way and they could buy it more than PS5, anything possible.

Also, it makes sense now that Sony has upped their GP alternative They would be making alot of APUs for server blades like MS was doing earlier in the generation.

BlackTron

But didn't the Series X sell more than the Series S? But you are right Series S Is a cheap entry point into current gen. Seems like a good idea after all.

It did, even if by a small margin of a few hundred units. Still, I think it's a matter of the Series S being on the shelf at all. It doubled Xbox's numbers.

I do also think it's a matter of the product being decent though. Even if people might prefer the X, the S sells itself as something you're not so mad to be stuck with that you'd rather not get it at all and wait for an X or PS5. Cheap, small, gamepass, actually exists, and we're talking about a place where the de facto platform seems to be Switch so the S actually represents an enthusiast's gfx upgrade, not a nerfed system lol.

Neither MS nor Sony knew the chip shortage would happen but their positioning really paid off with the S. MS chose weaker hardware and easier to yield parts, Sony just yanked the disc drive. They started with the "We believe in generations" mantra at what turned out to be the worst possible time and had to backpedal while it happened to be MS's strategy from the beginning. The thing is I like and wanted Sony's take but nobody could have known what would end up the wiser business decision.

lachesis

Perhaps the super weak Japanese Yen has something to do with Sony not as willing to ship more to Japan.
Theoretically, if you are a Japanese company - if you sell on stronger currency market, you actually make more Yen - than on a fixed price in Japan, which is basically depreciating.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I don’t understand how this is possible. I went to the biggest electronics shop in Akihabara yesterday and the Xbox display was the same size as the Live a Live display.

David B

An Idiot
Japan usually likes smaller things to buy as well. Remember how Xbox original didn't sell well and the Xbox One? Well PS5 is huge and long. Xbox Series S and X are way smaller. So of course Japan likes smaller things.

ryzen1

I imagine hell like one of those threads where people are constantly arguing about the units sold by their favorite console manufacturer...but every day the other manufacturer leads..
Damn this is pure suffering.

reksveks

Perhaps the super weak Japanese Yen has something to do with Sony not as willing to ship more to Japan.
Theoretically, if you are a Japanese company - if you sell on stronger currency market, you actually make more Yen - than on a fixed price in Japan, which is basically depreciating.
Think the more interesting thing is if your BoM hasn't changed much and you weren't making a great profit margin on the HW, then Japan might have gone into a loss making scenario and the row might be break even. The issue is alot of the major currencies have weaken with respect to the USD (not as bad as the JPY)

Post in thread 'Famitsu Sales: 6/20/22 – 6/26/22: FE Warriors: 3 Hopes opens at 98k' https://www.neogaf.com/threads/famitsu-sales-6-20-22-–-6-26-22-fe-warriors-3-hopes-opens-at-98k.1638514/post-266340705

Last edited:
Top Bottom