• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavily armed active shooter near polling station, Azusa California

Status
Not open for further replies.

VARIA

One person was killed and at least three others were wounded Tuesday in an active shooting near a polling place in Azusa.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Capt. Jeff Scroggins said police were dealing with at least one suspect who was heavily armed.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department reported firefighters were treating four patients, but their injuries were not immediately known because the situation was “not contained.”

It was unclear whether any officers were injured in the shooting, Willison said.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said they were assisting police.

Azusa Union School District issued a lockdown for Slauson Middle and Mountain View Elementary schools about 2:15 p.m., officials said. A nearby daycare center and preschool was also locked down.

UPDATE (from link):

1 confirmed casualty

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-azusa-shooting-injuries-20161108-story.html

Accumulated info (from Heavy.com):

Multiple people have been shot in an “active shooter” situation near a polling place in Azusa, California, police and witnesses say.

At least one person has been killed and three injured, Los Angeles County Fire Inspector Gustavo Medina told CNN.

A polling place located near the scene of the shooting, which is in the area of Memorial Park, has been locked down, people inside said on Twitter.

The shooter has not been taken into custody. According to Fox LA, there are reports of gunfire being exchanged between police and the suspect.

Officers were “met by gunfire,” at the scene, KABC-TV reports.

The shooter was described as being “heavily armed” by Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Captain Jeff Scroggin, the Los Angeles Times reports.

1. A Witness Says There Was an Active Shooter With a High-Powered Rifle
2. A Polling Place & a 2 Nearby Schools Have Been Put Into Lockdown
3. Emergency Responders Have Set Up a Triage Area for Possible Victims
4. Police From Surrounding Areas Are Responding to Assist the Local Police
5. Azusa Is a City of About 46,000 People in Los Angeles County

http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/asuza-california-shooting-active-shooter-gunman-memorial-park-polling-place-injuries-deaths-victims-photos-video/

Robiin

No way. It's what people feared right?!

America acting like a third world country during this election season.

Hopefully first and last.

Robiin

Also this is terrorism, clear cut. Political motives, near a voting station on election night. If media won't refer to this as a terrorist/terror attack, I'll get super pissed.

Also this is terrorism, clear cut. Political motives, near a voting station on election night. If media won't refer to this as a terrorist/terror attack, I'll get super pissed.

Like, we know zero of the shooter or his motivations. Let the facts come out first.

Geist-

This is what happens when fear becomes a major motivator in an election. Fuck those fear mongers and fuck this guy for thinking violence is a solution.

Jumeira

Banned
It does fit the criteria. Terrible news nonetheless, will this halt the voting? Or does this impact/delay votes from this region only?

Our units are aiding at the moment (Glendora), hope everyone is safe and this resolves in a calmly manner without any further bloodshed.

Fuck

Trump and his ilk need to be taken responsible for this kind of crap.

Was there something reported that linked this to trump?

Obviously this is a crazy person but if someone actually thought this would suppress votes in the bluest state in the world they're even dumber than they are crazy.

SoulUnison

Banned
I was hoping we'd get through the day without something like this, but now all I can do is cynically hope this is the *only* one that happens.

My bar of expectations for humanity slides slightly lower, yet again.

I was hoping we'd get through the day without something like this, but now all I can do is cynically hope this is the *only* one that happens.

My bar of expectations for humanity slides slightly lower, yet again.

This is a horrible thing but did you somehow expect that no persons in this would would commit murder today? Was that your standard for expectations for humanity at the start of this day?

Think about events like this, don't dwell on the negative.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...e-extended-to-accommodate-election-day-visits

laoni

At least of the victims was headed to the polling station to vote, a law enforcement source told The Times that officers arrived to find a man with a rifle. The gunman immediately began shooting at them, said the source, adding at least 20 shots were fired at officers.

Under a hail of gunfire, officers took cover and returned shots at the man, who retreated into a home in the 500 block of Fourth Street, said the source, who requested anonymity because the case was ongoing. No officers were injured in the shooting.

Story's updated on the site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom