• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heavenly Sword readying for showtime? "The Epic Will Unfold"

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ninja Theory is telling us to "come back soon"..

index6zh.jpg

http://www.ninjatheory.com/

Is it really possible we'll have new info on a first-party PS3 game before 06? Signs of the PS3 slowly coming out of hibernation?

edit
- the site's redirecting back to the old site now - nothing coming afterall? :|

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Of course, the "Epic" may be new chapters in their dev diary :p Not sure which I'd look forward to more! :D

i saw it yesterday, but then i googled the page and you can still access the site where they had the edge feature on, it also says:

"hacked by maf1a-. KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!!!"? :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Heavenly Sword defintely sounds like (from all the dev comments) the furthest along exclusive PS3 game, cant wait to see what they've come up with.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wax Free Vanilla said:
"hacked by maf1a-. KAGE BUNSHIN NO JUTSU!!!"? :lol

O rly?

Hmm, I hope this isn't just a hacking related temp closure of the site :mad: The image on the front is rather teasing, the curtains, the text. They'd better be getting ready to show us something!

Goreomedy said:
Mmmmm, can't wait to see how this has improved.

Yeah, it'll be exciting to see it again. The small hints we've had since E3 have been very encouraging - DeanoC on Beyond3D seems quite confident it'll be looking better upon release than at E3, and they're apparently using, or looking to use, Cell for lots of visual-related stuff (cloth, water, clouds, hair, weather etc).

gofreak said:
O rly?

Hmm, I hope this isn't just a hacking related temp closure of the site :mad: The image on the front is rather teasing, the curtains, the text. They'd better be getting ready to show us something!

Well the site is still up, so I doubt its hack related. The pics on their site are there

hs_screenshots_03thumb.jpg

SolidSnakex said:
Well the site is still up, so I doubt its hack related. The pics on their site are there

hs_screenshots_03thumb.jpg

that pic is really old, I don't think that's a PS3 shot. It's probably a shot of the game when it was being developed on PC

ss_preview_HS_Carnage_small.jpg

This was running off a PC. So your shot could be from PS3 ver.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidSnakex said:

Is that pic pre-E3? It looks very pretty for pre-E3. The lighting, the flowers on the left etc - looks quite advanced compared to other pre-E3 stuff. The size of the shot may be deceiving of course.

gofreak said:
Is that pic pre-E3? It looks very pretty for pre-E3. The lighting, the flowers on the left etc - looks quite advanced compared to other pre-E3 stuff. The size of the shot may be deceiving of course.

It's from their diary before they were picked up by Sony so yeah I think its pre E3. Even in a short amount of time they managed to improve it alot because the only impressive thing about the really early shots was how many people they had on screen. Everything else looked plain.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:

What Doom_Bringer said.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Graphics aside, it'll be interesting to see how the game has taken shape. Since E3 it has struck me as a very single-player "epic", but before they were signed, Ninja Theory were talking about online fighting systems and the like. I wonder if any of that is still there..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The website is now redirecting back to the regular site again.

Emotions..toyed with...:'( I made a new avater and all!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Argh, that's too bad.

This is definitely one of the very few next gen games that I find intriguing. I hope these guys won't disappoint.

Vibri

Banned
This game has AMAZING tech. Here's a 1080P IN-ENGINE screengrab back from the E3 demo (running on 75% power hardware), taken from their website:

hs_e3-2005_08.jpg

crazy....

teiresias

Granted they did say the outdoor areas weren't running at an acceptable framerate yet at the time.

I just fired up Drakan: The Ancient Gates and I'd kill for Ninja Theory to be able to use this engine for a new Drakan game - just the look of the rendering (even the character in Heavenly Sword actually) remind me of that game. They've got the great terrain renderer already, since a Drakan game wouldn't be nearly as demanding since it probably wouldn't have the huge army stuff going on it seems like it'd be possible to me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I really hope the dont go 1080p just because they can. I mean, what's the point in wasting power for something nobody's is gonna benefit from? "Just add (some more) monsters" at 720p if you have all that power to spare.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Vibri said:
This game has AMAZING tech. Here's a 1080P IN-ENGINE screengrab back from the E3 demo (running on 75% power hardware), taken from their website:

hs_e3-2005_08.jpg

crazy....

Yeah...look at the fricken aliasing on the banners (in the screenshot) that has to be IN ENGINE. The DoF effects are crazy. I'm starting to liken this to a Hideo Kojima game in that its very cinemtic.

TTP said:
I really hope the dont go 1080p just because they can. I mean, what's the point in wasting power for something nobody's is gonna benefit from? Just "add some (more) monsters" if you have all that power to spare.

Theres other technical reason for Ninja Theory to go 1080p but from what i've heard the 1080p shots that your seeing were just for E3. Sony asked NT to produce High Res footage for the show itself. It will probably be 720p.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
The Take Out Bandit said:
Many games have tried to copy Dynasty Warriors.
Many games have failed.

It doesn't copy Dynasty Warriors. The E3 trailer sold the game a little short, but I guess I can't fault them for going for the money shots.

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Vibri said:

hs_e3-2005_08.jpg

crazy....

Notice the aliasing on the banners in the foreground and far off in the background, but not a hint of aliasing on the giant wooden unit in the middle, banners, poles, spikes on the front..nothing...

Quite fishy.. artists drawn in perhaps?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tenacious-V said:
Notice the aliasing on the banners in the foreground and far off in the background, but not a hint of aliasing on the giant wooden unit in the middle, banners, poles, spikes on the front..nothing...

Quite fishy.. artists drawn in perhaps?

Nah. Look closer. I can see aliasing pretty much everywere.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tenacious-V said:

I see aliasing on that "unit", or parts of it, but realise that DOF, motion blur, the camera model they're using, HDR even, will leave some parts being more AAed than others.

Some dude on another forum just told me the editor fucked up and put this thing up too early, its for CES so don't feel like you've been dupped, its real and its coming at CES.

D2M15 said:
It doesn't copy Dynasty Warriors. The E3 trailer sold the game a little short, but I guess I can't fault them for going for the money shots.

That's definitely good news for this game then. DW is a tough act to follow.

I dunno if I'm interested or not. The only thing that has been shown for the PS3 that floored me is still Killzone, and that's mainly because Killzone looked like what I had pictured Next Generation gaming being in my head.

We'll see.

You know, I have doubts that a development team that ported the game over so many platforms, hasn't really been working on it -that- long, and they don't even have a full team yet as they are hiring people.

So I have my doubts that a 10 or so team can create something that easily out trumps any and everything shown on Xbox 360 thus far and 'not even available a the time PS3 dev kits."

Jerkface

Banned
This game is definitely interesting but a little voice in my head keeps repeating "Kung Fu Chaos" any time I look at it!

C- Warrior said:
So I have my doubts that a 10 or so team can create something that easily out trumps any and everything shown on Xbox 360 thus far and 'not even available a the time PS3 dev kits."

From the looks of it the game could be Sony's premiere title early on in the PS3's life (for the US atleast) so they're going to get any help they need.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
C- Warrior said:
You know, I have doubts that a development team that ported the game over so many platforms, hasn't really been working on it -that- long, and they don't even have a full team yet as they are hiring people.

They started building a prototype for HS in early 2003, and the team was 22 people in the prototyping phase. It was on high end PCs before moving to PS3 - they had access to early X360 hardware, but there's no indication they actually had started porting the game to it. They would have gotten PS3 kit fairly early, given that the deal with Sony was signed some months before E3. As of the end of last month, the team was "40-50" people and still growing.

Glad you think it's that impressive though! :)

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
C- Warrior said:

I post on a board that has two developers from the Heavenly Sword team. One of them that the team is up to 60 people now (and growing).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
teiresias said:
They've got the great terrain renderer already, since a Drakan game wouldn't be nearly as demanding since it probably wouldn't have the huge army stuff going on it seems like it'd be possible to me.
Are you kidding? It'd be great to make strafing runs on an army from above on Arokh's back.

Striek

Ah fuck. This topic title made me excited. What a disappointment.

I'm not sure this game will be AAA yet, but its the one with the most potential to come out of left-field and surprise all our asses. Most awaited next-gen game for me.

Top Bottom