• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[HDTVTest] Sony A95K QD-OLED TV Review

John Wick

Best of class! Says it all. Now if only this idiot company would take gaming features seriously. I mean they happen to own the biggest gaming brand yet get spanked by LG and Samsung when it comes to gaming features. It just baffles me as to why they are letting easy money pass them by?

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Best of class! Says it all. Now if only this idiot company would take gaming features seriously. I mean they happen to own the biggest gaming brand yet get spanked by LG and Samsung when it comes to gaming features. It just baffles me as to why they are letting easy money pass them by?
They are different divisions. And I don't think the TV division cares what the gaming division needs.

kyliethicc

What gaming features are they lacking? It has everything a PS5 owner needs.

I have a C1 mainly because of Series X's dolby vision gaming but it's honestly kinda muh compared to HDR 10 I might just switch back to Sony if they can get the prices down I play PS5 majority of the time anyway. The side by side comparison with the A90J wasn't night and day but the colors did come through a bit brighter on A95k.

John Wick

Mate LG and Samsung have been providing 4 HDMi 2.1 ports for years. What do Sony provide 2 at best? What about freesync? This with costing far more as well.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Did you not watch the video? He went over several issues. Lack of Dolby Vision game mode, Higher input lag than rivals, doesn't automatically setup the input settings properly (big deal for the average consumer who doesn't know they need to change the HDMI settings to support things like DV or VRR), Issues with resolving 4:4:4 chroma. That last one as a PC HTPC gamer is a big deal to me and makes it unviable compared so Samsung. This has been a software/processing issue Sony has had back sense 2018.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Mate LG and Samsung have been providing 4 HDMi 2.1 ports for years. What do Sony provide 2 at best? What about freesync? This with costing far more as well.
Yeah looks to be 2 of the 4, ports 3 and 4. I wonder if they'll add FreeSync support to their TVs/PS5 when they release the monitors they are apparently making :pie_thinking:

ParaSeoul

LG has. Been just 1 on Samsung's 4K tvs,idk abou their 8K ones. They've only added 4 this year on their 4K sets.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
They are different divisions. And I don't think the TV division cares what the gaming division needs.

Thats 90s SEGA level of stupid. Price/feature wise compared to the competition
Sony tv's haven't made sense to buy for years now unless you just watch movies and never game

Sony tv's haven't made sense to buy for years now unless you just watch movies and never game
Really hard to disagree here lol I was hit with that unfortunate reality when I returned my A80J for the C1 after gaming on both but there's still something about the Sony image that I miss I just can't put my finger on it I think it had better highlights..LG definitely earned its respect from me & other gamers they always seem to be adding features.

Rea

That's because Sony Use mediatek chipset which is sucks. Sony doesn't make their own chipset. LG and Samsung make their own chipset. That's why they can go all out in gaming.

kyliethicc

Did you not watch the video? He went over several issues. Lack of Dolby Vision game mode, Higher input lag than rivals, doesn't automatically setup the input settings properly (big deal for the average consumer who doesn't know they need to change the HDMI settings to support things like DV or VRR), Issues with resolving 4:4:4 chroma. That last one as a PC HTPC gamer is a big deal to me and makes it unviable compared so Samsung. This has been a software/processing issue Sony has had back sense 2018.

Why would a PS5 owner need any of that? It’s not a PC monitor. It’s a TV lol

And DV gaming is 1 a joke and 2 irrelevant for PS5 owners.

Last edited:

thatJohann

For gaming, it's not the best TV in 2022. Looks like LG OLEDs are still the ones to beat for the best gaming features (4x HDMI 2.1 ports, HGIG support, Dolby Vision + 120Hz simultaneous support, etc.). This looks like a great alternative for non-gamers.

that's only been the case for a few years. 3 years for LCD, 2 years for oled

Last edited:

YCoCg

Come on Sony, get some proper HGiG support in there and keep up the work elsewhere. It's crazy how Xbox and LG are able to work together to improve the gaming side of things on LG TV's and yet Sony can't be bothered to contact PlayStation to do the same.

S0ULZB0URNE

For gaming, it's not the best TV in 2022. Looks like LG OLEDs are still the ones to beat for the best gaming features (4x HDMI 2.1 ports, HGIG support, Dolby Vision + 120Hz simultaneous support, etc.). This looks like a great alternative for non-gamers.
Samsung beats the LG.

Come on Sony, get some proper HGiG support in there and keep up the work elsewhere. It's crazy how Xbox and LG are able to work together to improve the gaming side of things on LG TV's and yet Sony can't be bothered to contact PlayStation to do the same.
Yeah. Sony's hdr tone mapping/hgig is even more broken than last year.

Another very overpriced overhyped offering from Sony.

It has its faults, but I would say the lg c1 is still the best overall OLED. Or, I guess the g1, but it isn't worth the extra money esp if you don't wall mount.

nashman

Whats the difference between changing HDMIs port between "enhanced" and "enhanced vrr" ? Both do 4k/120 so why not always "enhanced vrr"?

OZ9000

Banned
Sony TVs might have good picture quality but they're actually garbage. Why?

- lifted blacks
- no g sync or freesync
- no 4x hdmi 2.1
- you pay more for less

LG are currently the best TV maker IMO

dotnotbot

Sony TVs might have good picture quality but they're actually garbage. Why?

- lifted blacks
- no g sync or freesync
- no 4x hdmi 2.1
- you pay more for less

LG are currently the best TV maker IMO

I will take slightly lifted dark scenes over black crush like on S95B or C1 without calibration any day.
And according to rtings they do work with G-sync just fine.
Plus A95K has much better near-black handling than any WOLED thanks to lack of overshooting white subpixel that really spoils the fun in some dark movies/games.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Whats the difference between changing HDMIs port between "enhanced" and "enhanced vrr" ? Both do 4k/120 so why not always "enhanced vrr"?
Not much I think. Enhanced VRR disables local dimming on XH90 but they updated every other TV so that LD works with VRR as well.

REDRZA MWS

I have a C1 mainly because of Series X's dolby vision gaming but it's honestly kinda muh compared to HDR 10 I might just switch back to Sony if they can get the prices down I play PS5 majority of the time anyway. The side by side comparison with the A90J wasn't night and day but the colors did come through a bit brighter on A95k.
Just turn Dolby vision for gaming off in the Xbox’s settings. I love DV gaming though.

Top Bottom