• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's House Of The Dragon (no book spoilers)

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Rhaenys' mother was a Baratheon, so she is as much a mutt as Aegon the Elder in this context. Plus both of her kids are dead. She has only bastards and daughters to offer.

Yea but still, Targaryens believe that as long as the father is Targ, they're Targ. That's what I was referring to.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yea but still, Targaryens believe that as long as the father is Targ, they're Targ. That's what I was referring to.
But then Aegon the Elder, whose dad is the King, would have a far better claim than Rhaenys, whose GRANDDAD was king and who has no living sons or grandsons what could trace a male to the Targaryens. Only if she jumps her own kids (and granddaughters) to Rhaenyra and Daemon's boys does another male lineage to the throne materialize.

Ultimately this crap tends to boil down to who can do the job the best and get the most support. In this Aegon the Elder is FAR better positioned as he A. controls Kings Landing and most of the trappings of royalty, B. has the small council on his side, and C. is the first MALE heir to the King and already has an heir (or two, depending on Maelor existing in the show).

Rhaenyra, had she done a better job of masking her kids and/or married someone else OTHER than Laenor and Daemon, would have had a far stronger claim, IMHO. She benefits from being first born, being the declared heir, and having several kids already (as does Aegon the Elder) to ensure succession. Tying her older boys back around to Daemon and Laena via Baela and Rhaena was smart, but too insular, it doesn't pull in any other houses across Westeros. Joffrey isn't much of a pawn as his legitimacy is questionable, Aegon the Younger and Viserys are too young for a definite bond as of yet. IMHO Rhaenyra would have been better off marrying another great House instead of Laenor if the Throne was really on her mind, the Lannister guy in particular. Or at least quietly send the bastard boys away and marry a Lannister after Laenor's "death".

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
But then Aegon the Elder, whose dad is the King, would have a far better claim than Rhaenys, whose GRANDDAD was king and who has no living sons or grandsons what could trace a male to the Targaryens. Only if she jumps her own kids (and granddaughters) to Rhaenyra and Daemon's boys does another male lineage to the throne materialize.

Ultimately this crap tends to boil down to who can do the job the best and get the most support. In this Aegon the Elder is FAR better positioned as he A. controls Kings Landing and most of the trappings of royalty, B. has the small council on his side, and C. is the first MALE heir to the King and already has an heir (or two, depending on Maelor existing in the show).

Rhaenyra, had she done a better job of masking her kids and/or married someone else OTHER than Laenor and Daemon, would have had a far stronger claim, IMHO. She benefits from being first born, being the declared heir, and having several kids already (as does Aegon the Elder) to ensure succession. Tying her older boys back around to Daemon and Laena via Baela and Rhaena was smart, but too insular, it doesn't pull in any other houses across Westeros. Joffrey isn't much of a pawn as his legitimacy is questionable, Aegon the Younger and Viserys are too young for a definite bond as of yet. IMHO Rhaenyra would have been better off marrying another great House instead of Laenor if the Throne was really on her mind, the Lannister guy in particular. Or at least quietly send the bastard boys away and marry a Lannister after Laenor's "death".

I feel like you're overthinking things. Without going too deep in fear of book spoilers, it's tradition that the oldest male heir of the king - regardless of anything else - is crowned when the time comes.

Rhaenys was passed over because of this. As shown in the show. But she should have been queen if the people didn't have certain arbitrary expectations.

And that's about as much as we can discuss here. Maybe we can pick it up in the book thread.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like you're overthinking things. Without going too deep in fear of book spoilers, it's tradition that the oldest male heir of the king - regardless of anything else - is crowned when the time comes.

Rhaenys was passed over because of this. As shown in the show. But she should have been queen if the people didn't have certain arbitrary expectations.

And that's about as much as we can discuss here. Maybe we can pick it up in the book thread.
You are right, this is getting deep into the weeds though for the most part it is presented in the show like it is in the books.

Echoes of this still exist today of course, women often surrender their last name to take their husbands. Even if they keep their own or hyphenate it, it's their FATHERS name, not their mothers (for at least another generation or so anyway). Any major cultures that DON'T do this? Not really sure about India, China, or the like.

But for the show I think it is important to remember that with Rhaenyra comes Daemon, who is not well loved by.....well anyone really.

About Mysaria. Does Otto recognize her from the confrontation on the bridge over the egg all those years ago? Did he know who and what she was this whole time and her connection to Daemon? Very curious about their 'working' relationship.

Larys is a foot guy? As if he couldn't be any more despicable lol

The relationship between Ser Criston and Alicent seems peculiar, her charge to him with finding Aegon was noticeably intimate.

Despite Aegon being a degenerate rapist, they somehow managed to make me feel pity for him. I hope to see his character developed even further.

What the hell, Rhaenys? She really just killed and maimed hundreds of civilians and proceeded to not even go for the kill lol.
She let Aemond live after threatening their lives? I'd imagine it'll be her undoing.

Also, the actress playing Mysaria is just terrible. I wouldn't mind at all if she were killed off lol.

This has been a fantastic first season, looking forward to the finale.
Not her fight. Civilian casualties were too bad so sad.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like they COULD have mitigated the "civilian casualties, not my problem" issue with just a quick overhead shot of a big 'bump' on the floor, everyone scatters to the walls, then the dragon comes up. A few folks getting swatted by a tail versus 100 feet of densely packed floor collapsing into darkness.

We could still get Rhaenys' FOFA warning moment without there being all that blood on her han....err, dragons feet.

I also just personally am tired TO DEATH of the "big CGI monster ROARS at the camera" shot, especially when there is not a single breath of wind ruffling a hair on the head of any of them. I was hoping Aegon would plant Blackfyre right into that maw and drive her away.

Thaedolus

Going through an audit with work right now where I'm mostly sitting around until there's a question specifically for me, have seen some mild hints of what happens this ep, probably won't be able to watch for several more hours aarrrrggghhh

lifa-cobex

Nine seasons into this show and some people still don't understand that most of the nobles don't give a shit about the plebs.
This!
Pretty much everyone on the iron throne has had absolutely no regard for the general folk.
Kinda stunned people are calling it into question.

Another banger of an episode.
I don't think a single episode has let me down so far.
RIP Visery. I always thought Eddard Stark was the most noble of folk but I think he's taken my number two spot now.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This!
Pretty much everyone on the iron throne has had absolutely no regard for the general folk.
Kinda stunned people are calling it into question.
It's probably the most "not book" thing they've done (so far) and it's admittedly pretty damn clunky. If history has shown us anything, it's that straying from GRRM most often goes wrong. GRRM is a very intricate plotter. Changing one thing often has unintended consequences elsewhere. Hopefully this is just a "ratings week" type stunt and not indicative of how Rhaenys will be treated in the future. Hell, Corlys will probably feed her the back of his hand for FORCING conflict and taking a whole bunch of negotiation right off the table.

Plus Meleys, her dragon, is supposed to be lazy (though "fearsome when roused"). Why the Greens didn't run her down and put her into the ocean remains to be seen. It would have been 3 against 1. The 2 other dragons could slow her down long enough for Vhagar to crush her.

The last scene was complete shit - GoT season 8 level bad. A serious misstep in an otherwise fantastic show so far. Overall, this was by far the weakest episode this season.

I expect the show to get back on track, but wow what a stupid decision with that scene. I'm still all in for the finale, but this was a low point for sure. For the first time this season, I was reminded of how HBO fucked up GoT - I thought we were better than dumb shit like this.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
2PqJlRO.jpg

GZ2ZQbD.jpg

CuAYOpI.jpg
pR49wU5.jpg

I'm calling it now.

Thaedolus

Speaking of the soundtrack, I’ll have to look up the composers because it reminded me a lot of the soundtrack in Westworld.

Similar notes and cadence.
Same guy. Glad they kept him on for this and glad they kept the main theme, it’s always hype for me and I never skip and always get complaints to turn it down if someone else is home.

This piece is so damn epic.

that last scene feels so forced. They tried to give Rhaenys a badass moment but it's so cheesy. I get why she didn't kill them because kinslaying would've caused more problems. Even though I didn't read the book, it's obvious this sequence was made up for the show and what happened in the book is probably drastically different.

Fools idol

Banned
I am starting to see the cracks in the writing show again as it seems they are once again trying to cram too much into too little. I would have happily had more fleshed out episodes across 2 seasons to lead up to the finale next week... the amount of time jumps felt quite jarring honestly, and I struggled to appreciate characters when the actors changed multiple times.

cormack12

Gold Member
I am starting to see the cracks in the writing show again as it seems they are once again trying to cram too much into too little. I would have happily had more fleshed out episodes across 2 seasons to lead up to the finale next week... the amount of time jumps felt quite jarring honestly, and I struggled to appreciate characters when the actors changed multiple times.
4d8ecc6967b4a3d475be5c4d881c4d9c.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
LOL they went hard for the foot fetish degens.
this was their bad pussy moment. completely unneccessary. It kind of reduces a very good Littlefinger like character into a fucking pervert. It also turns Alicent into a weak woman being used for her feet by a pervert.

Just lame writing.

Hardensoul

this was their bad pussy moment. completely unneccessary. It kind of reduces a very good Littlefinger like character into a fucking pervert. It also turns Alicent into a weak woman being used for her feet by a pervert.

Just lame writing.
Alicent is supposed to be really badass! It was more like her using him with the feet! :LOL:

jason10mm

Gold Member

Just lame writing.
You know, the official HBO HotD podcast had a similar read as you but I 100% disagree.

Alicent OWNS Larys, all she has to do is sit there and she is getting impeccable intelligence for nothing. She is LITERALLY creating wealth at no cost to herself and people are dogging her for it?

The Podcastesr, liberal twinks that they are, thought Alicent should be threatening Larys with death or torture and basically forcing him to work for her.

Oh, you mean all those charactistics these idiots have labeled as "TOXIC MASCULINITY"? If a male character used force to get stuff from someone it would be considered an evil act, yet they associate with "strength and power" if it's being done by a woman.

Yep, sums up modern liberals pretty well.

SlimySnake

You know, the official HBO HotD podcast had a similar read as you but I 100% disagree.

Alicent OWNS Larys, all she has to do is sit there and she is getting impeccable intelligence for nothing. She is LITERALLY creating wealth at no cost to herself and people are dogging her for it?

The Podcastesr, liberal twinks that they are, thought Alicent should be threatening Larys with death or torture and basically forcing him to work for her.

Oh, you mean all those charactistics these idiots have labeled as "TOXIC MASCULINITY"? If a male character used force to get stuff from someone it would be considered an evil act, yet they associate with "strength and power" if it's being done by a woman.

Yep, sums up modern liberals pretty well.
There has to be a better middle ground than that. I don’t think it needed to be a quid pro quo kind of deal between the two. He became lord of harrenhall by helping her. That should be motivation enough.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There has to be a better middle ground than that. I don’t think it needed to be a quid pro quo kind of deal between the two. He became lord of harrenhall by helping her. That should be motivation enough.
That was YEARS ago, and it's half blackmail over her because of how she benefitted from it. That debt was long paid.

Since when is showing your feet for the pleasure of another some sort of horrible torture? She is tolerant of other sexualities, open to diverse thought, she isn't in any physical danger, he gets gratification and no children are harmed. I thought this was the modern idea of a perfect transaction :p

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Alicent and her dad gave up her pussy to get the throne, is anyone really upset or think she wouldn't show some bare feet to someone who's been extremely loyal, but more importantly, loyal to her for like 15 years?
For real, lol. I sometimes raise my eye at people’s moral mental gymnastics.

SlimySnake

That was YEARS ago, and it's half blackmail over her because of how she benefitted from it. That debt was long paid.

Since when is showing your feet for the pleasure of another some sort of horrible torture? She is tolerant of other sexualities, open to diverse thought, she isn't in any physical danger, he gets gratification and no children are harmed. I thought this was the modern idea of a perfect transaction :p
Call me old fashioned but a nightly blowjob from the Queen after a hard days work is more of my style.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
After all of the moral failings, depravity, and complete lack of empathy we've seen from some of these characters, we draw the line at jerking off to the queen's feet lol. Ah, GAF. Never change.

Personally I think it's right on brand for Larys. He's a demented bastard. Why not throw a foot fetish on top?

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Be careful on social media - people are posting massively spoilerly gifs and such from the leak. If you're a non-book reader there are some doozies that I know I'd be ready to hurt someone over if they spoiled me.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Criston was named the new lord commander of the Kingsguard.
In the UK, a new monarch is crowned by the most senior cleric of the Church.

I always thought the symbolism was to show that the new monarch is anointed by God.

For a universe which has embraced the Faith of the Seven, I agree that being crowned by the Lord Commander stuck out.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
In the UK, a new monarch is crowned by the most senior cleric of the Church.

I always thought the symbolism was to show that the new monarch is anointed by God.

For a universe which has embraced the Faith of the Seven, I agree that being crowned by the Lord Commander stuck out.
Fair, but apparently that detail is accurate to the books.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Fair, but apparently that detail is accurate to the books.
Correct, the Septon annoited Aegon II with holy oils but Cole, as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, physically placed the crown on his head.

F&B doesn't specify who put the crown on Viserys head but does say the High Septon placed one on Jaehaerys' head. Maegor was crowned by his mother (Queen Visenya, Aegon the Conquorers oldest sister and bride), Aegon the Uncrowned was, well, uncrowned. Aenys (Aegon the uncrowned's father and Meagor's brother), was presented a crown by the High Septon, who presumably placed it on his head as well. Aegon the Conquorer himself was crowned by Visenya as well but that was before he actually ruled the seven kingdoms.

Anyhoo, it seems like the act of crowning is a bit flexible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom