• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO's House Of The Dragon (no book spoilers)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I am going to give it a try. It has Dragons.

america ferrera dragon GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Hyped for this. Complete story from a book that's already out and finished.

Game of Thrones was always at it's best when it pulled directly from the material in the books.

Hari Seldon

I'll watch it. Probably good enough for some brainless fantasy watching, although I have my doubts that modern HBO can pull something off like OG GoT again. All of their recent shows have been complete misses for me.

Relique

I'll check it out probably but like others have said we know where it ends up so hard to be excited.

I am also wondering why rush the final season of GoT only to come out with this a couple of years later. Could have squeezed another season out of at least a few episodes to flesh it out better.

SJRB

Gold Member
Matt Smith has such a punchable face, good lord.

I'll check it out because I have HBO Max but I have zero expectations.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Has dragons so I can't say I'm not interested. Gimmie dragons and a lot of death/destruction and I'm good to go.

mortal

Gold Member
The finale of GoT shit bed so bad that I'm reluctant to take up another series.

Goes to show that you can have great production values and a huge budget, but great writing is crucial to a drama.
Especially when the source material already sets a high bar

Billbofet

This is like a Disney+ SW or Marvel show in that I'll just wait for it to run its course and watch if it gets good word of mouth.
This has saved me a lot of time and disappointment so far.

Erebus

I see people are still bitter about GoT’s final season. I’ll give it a chance for the dragons (I just hope they use them this time) and nostalgia.

Javthusiast

Banned
GoT ended super badly, but I will still give this show a chance. It will look great, have great music, Dragon battles and more importantly as I heard the entire story is written out in the Fire & Blood book, all it needs is fleshing out for the show. Plus D&D are not involved.

I also am hungry for big budget dark fantasy type shows. Lotr show won't give me that, same with Wheel of Time and Witcher on Netflix is whatever, plus looks way cheaper.

I give this a full season to see how they handle it.

Fbh

But do any of them have a better story than Bran the broken?
I don't think so.

No thx HBO.
Guess I'll watch it in a few years on the off chance this is good and remains good until the end. Though even then it will always have the disappointing factor of knowing where it all leads.

So bad, couldn't even finish watching this abomination of a trailer. HBO shouldn't be allowed to get near this after they botched ASOIAF so bad.

Dunk and Egg are the only good books other than the main series yet GRRM keeps wasting time writing boring stuff like Fire & Blood and co-authoring books with fans.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I didn’t see anyone with purple eyes. And Targaryen have the ol’ purple eye.

just do intrigue dragons and swording.

Elysion

Banned
The Velaryons look kind of silly, tbh. The white wigs really clash with the black actors.

111730.jpg

Looks weird, and strangely cheap. Only Corlys (the older guy at the front) looks ok, since his white hair could maybe be interpreted as grey due to his age. But the others look stupid.

But Daemon Targaryen isn‘t much better. The guy who plays him (he‘s the Doctor Who guy, right?) looks totally goofy with that long white hair, lol.

But the worst thing is, as others have pointed out, the fact that we alread know how this story ends. Knowing who lives and who dies, and who betrays who, takes out a lot of the suspense. Which means this show‘s success will depend entirely on the quality of its writing and cinematography. The original GoT had the luxury to not only be based on GRRM‘s books, but also that the audience didn’t know how the story would ultimately end. That‘s why even most of those who recognized the sharp decline in writing in the later seasons still followed the show to the very end, since they wanted to see how the whole thing concluded. But that won‘t be the case for this show; if people aren’t hooked early, and the writing sucks, then people are more likely to just drop the show, since they already know how it ends (or can find out with a quick google search).

gioGAF

Not really interested in this after the dumpster fire that was the final season of Game of Thrones. On top of that, the actors in this look terrible. They couldn't have picked uglier leads. Don't really care about what ugly Targaryen ancestors did in general and especially not in a prequel. Maybe once it is over, I will look for a compilation of dragon scenes if I hear they were good.

The Velaryons look kind of silly, tbh. The white wigs really clash with the black actors.

111730.jpg

Looks weird, and strangely cheap. Only Corlys (the older guy at the front) looks ok, since his white hair could maybe be interpreted as grey due to his age. But the others look stupid.
I agree. White and silver-esque hair can be done well with black actors(anime does it all the time), when not using cheap looking wigs and making sure to color grade around it correctly.

Storm-And-Apoc-X-Men.jpg

rs_610x1024-140723123405-634.halle-storm-xmen.jpg

4f75d788365ef5569a7b73a6855df1fa.jpg

bcf42dfd85bb09f940f01ef4eb88bc9f.jpg

offset_1057248.jpg

Nobody_Important

I see people are still bitter about GoT’s final season. I’ll give it a chance for the dragons (I just hope they use them this time) and nostalgia.
The series will cover the period of time in Westeros known as the Dance of Dragons

So yeah. Dragons are on the menu.

kikkis

Already going on a bit of bad foot in terms marketing. I don't think even in medieval times men were opposed to woman being leader due to some in built misogyny, but simply because they sensed weakness and incompetency.

Nobody_Important

Already going on a bit of bad foot in terms marketing. I don't think even in medieval times men were opposed to woman being leader due to some in built misogyny, but simply because they sensed weakness and incompetency.
This isn't medieval times. It's a completely separate universe with its own complex history and customs.

bitbydeath

Yeah, that was cringe.

Nobody_Important

I would imagine any story wants to keep things relatable to current day people, instead of something completely esoteric.
You would be wrong. The show is based off of a section of a book called Fire and Blood which is an extension of a book known as the History of Ice and Fire. Which is basically a history book of Westeros from as far back as the History goes for the setting. The books show that the setting has a historical preference of male rulers over women. The Dance of Dragons (what this show is based off of) is the political and social culmination of that precedent.

So no it's not some political commentary or some historical inaccuracy. It is a theme that is deliberately built up in the lore of the series for literally decades and decades before the story we see takes place. The show will surround the climax of that buildup and the turmoil that follows it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hyped for this. Complete story from a book that's already out and finished.

Game of Thrones was always at it's best when it pulled directly from the material in the books.

Although Fire and Blood is finished (part 1 anyway that covers this timeframe), it's not a typical novel like ASOIAF.

Fire and Blood is written as a history book, so they're still going to have make up a lot of content for it to be a coherent narrative.

I'll watch it (GoT fell apart the last few seasons, of course, but the highs were legitimately very high), but I'm not particularly optimistic. And honestly, I keep forgetting it exists until I see a new bit of news or a trailer. It's kind of shocking how this series/universe has left my consciousness.

Top Bottom