• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us - Review Thread

kyliethicc

Critic has climbed to 99. Wait for the user score they said.

yup. still rolling

XDXgvrL.jpg

kyussman

You people are weird...... :-/
Modern tv/movies are full of examples of ideology being placed in them to educate all of us lesser beings.....I'm more than capable of educating myself to the world around me.....I don't find it entertaining and if it happens I will turn off your show.You can think that's weird if you want,but I'm just a regular guy with a working brain who can think for himself.

The scene with Ellie and Marlene has changed in the TV show and they thought Ellie was a bit too hostile here compared to the game
I'm pretty sure the history between them in the show vs the game was changed. As a result, it makes sense that Ellie would be hostile to someone she only saw as her captor 🤷‍♂️

MMaRsu

Banned
In the game Marlene has already informed Ellie about who she is, what she wants etc. We domt even see that in the game lulz

Ulysses 31

I'm pretty sure the history between them in the show vs the game was changed. As a result, it makes sense that Ellie would be hostile to someone she only saw as her captor 🤷‍♂️
Well, they thought it made Ellie less endearing in the introduction and the mayor part of their bond now is the immunity secret. In the game it was already set that they knew each other form before and the player could fill in that info in their minds and I think they preferred that.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Modern tv/movies are full of examples of ideology being placed in them to educate all of us lesser beings.....I'm more than capable of educating myself to the world around me.....I don't find it entertaining and if it happens I will turn off your show.You can think that's weird if you want,but I'm just a regular guy with a working brain who can think for himself.

It's just weird to me that individuals like yourself care so much about things like that. I'm not questioning your motives, but I think you may be missing out on lots of good content going about things like you do.

kyussman

It's just weird to me that individuals like yourself care so much about things like that. I'm not questioning your motives, but I think you may be missing out on lots of good content going about things like you do.
Well,no one has ever told me it's weird to care about ideology I don't agree with being served to me.......damn right I care,it's what allows me to think for myself about things and come to my own conclusions.Neil Druckmans view of the world may not be my view of the world........now,if he is able to just tell a good story like writers used to do then it's not gonna be an issue......but if he decides he needs to fill the show with all the woke talking points I've heard time and time again then I'll pass.Hey,I hope it stays watchable,lol.

SLB1904

Banned
In the game Marlene has already informed Ellie about who she is, what she wants etc. We domt even see that in the game lulz
Yeah the show is showing stuff that happens off screen. But still they refuse to show the fireflies fight. In the game with fedra and in the show with Robert gang lol

Last edited:

A.Romero

This is horrible -- to put a young girl go through this. To call her stupid stuff like "she's too ugly for Ellie."

People need to be more responsible.
Bunch of assholes.

Well,no one has ever told me it's weird to care about ideology I don't agree with being served to me.......damn right I care,it's what allows me to think for myself about things and come to my own conclusions.Neil Druckmans view of the world may not be my view of the world........now,if he is able to just tell a good story like writers used to do then it's not gonna be an issue......but if he decides he needs to fill the show with all the woke talking points I've heard time and time again then I'll pass.Hey,I hope it stays watchable,lol.

I don't know man. Pretty hard to tell a history without some kind of messaging.

What kind of movies or tv shows you feel are not carrying some kind of message?

Also...remember how when Sarah and Joel were eating their eggs at breakfast they were hearing on the radio about issues in Jakarta, indonesia?

Well...about that:

The milling complex owned by P.T. Bogasari Flour Mills in Jakarta, Indonesia, ranks as the largest flour mill in the world, in terms of both size and capacity.
None of it was a coincidence. That flour was a contaminated batch that probably came from there and was exported to multiple places all over the world.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Every story has a message. It is the viewers' right to agree or disagree with that message, just as it is the creator's right to include whatever message they want to include.

Here are just a few movies from varying quality and genres.

- Shawshank Redemption > Hope is the best of things. Never lose it.
- Lord of the Rings > Death and human's desire to escape it.
- Yes Man > Being open to more opportunities.

I mean, the producers of the RE movies didn't cast actors who look like the characters either. It's probably just how the entertainment industry works nowadays...

It's not really the look, though. It's their race. If a character was say, American, and they cast a Polynesian guy, I can see why fans would think that didn't look right. But that's not being racist. It's just that the hero or villain was not Polynesian or whatever, to begin with!

kyussman

Every story has a message. It is the viewers' right to agree or disagree with that message, just as it is the creator's right to include whatever message they want to include.

Here are just a few movies from varying quality and genres.

- Shawshank Redemption > Hope is the best of things. Never lose it.
- Lord of the Rings > Death and human's desire to escape it.
- Yes Man > Being open to more opportunities.
Yea,of course I've no issue with being told a story with a message.I do have a problem with being lectured to with political ideology that I think is bullshit.Of course they can do whatever they want with their show,I'll either watch it or turn it off.Isn't that what everyone does with something they don't enjoy.....just turn if off.

Ulysses 31

Here they go more into detail how in their view the Joel Tess dynamic is different from the game and Joel is more on the passive side.

Last edited:

kyussman

Bunch of assholes.

I don't know man. Pretty hard to tell a history without some kind of messaging.

What kind of movies or tv shows you feel are not carrying some kind of message?
Where did I say stories shouldn't have a message,I love movies and the movies I love the most are the ones where I connect with the message the most.I don't like political ideology in my entertainment,that's all.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
There are people on this very forum that have posted similar comments in response to her casting and performance.

Yes, people are shitty, especially when given the anonyminity of the internet.
Exactly this. Most people wouldn't say that kind of filth in front of a person. They'd instead be taking selfies and posting on their social media profiles to feel important.

With anonymity on the internet, however ... it's a different story.

Last edited:
Apparently, James Berich from Western Australia is *STILL* obsessively spamming on some shitty anxiety forum, talking to his imaginary friend, while thinking that black is the real white. It's not racist to say a character in a video game or another medium that is orange, shouldn't be yellow. Or silver, or cream, or red or (insert nationality), if they weren't even that race or color to begin with, you bogan dolt. :D

mckmas8808

Banned
Apparently, James Berich from Western Australia is *STILL* obsessively spamming on some shitty anxiety forum, talking to his imaginary friend, while thinking that black is the real white. It's not racist to say a character in a video game or another medium that is orange, shouldn't be yellow. Or silver, or cream, or red or (insert nationality), if they weren't even that race or color to begin with, you bogan dolt. :D

It sounds to me like some people like to talk and argue the culture wars, more than they like to watch entertainment shows or play games. It's annoying.

mnkl13

i wasn't really happy when the cast was announced, because i didn't see those actors as the characters of the game, and i thought they were cast just for the sake of some woke reasons, diversity, yada yada, and the adaptation would suffer because of that. now after watching the first episode i got really happy with it, i think the actors really did a fantastic job. they emulate the characters so well, so close to how they would behave. i feel like i am really watching more of the characters that i didn't get to see in the game. also, i think that the characters look alot more human like than what we got in the game, they have more "people living in a post apocalyptic world" behavior like. and that's much more important than having people that look alike physically in this case. let's hope it continues strong.

LordOfChaos

i wasn't really happy when the cast was announced, because i didn't see those actors as the characters of the game, and i thought they were cast just for the sake of some woke reasons, diversity, yada yada,

You know casting people that don't look like you doesn't instantly make something "woke", right?

It's internally consistent and not sacrificing show quality peddling any sort of narrative. The "woke mind virus" crowd themselves just have several other mind viruses.

You know casting people that don't look like you doesn't instantly make something "woke", right?

It's internally consistent and not sacrificing show quality peddling any sort of narrative. The "woke mind virus" crowd themselves just have several other mind viruses.

Imagine thinking that casting two popular HBO actors, one who has another hit show in The Mandalorian and the other who mainlined her own tv show in the Worst Witch were cast for diversity purposes...

Imagine casting Thandie Newton's daughter and having a problem it... [Note: Thandie Newton was on HBO's Westworld]

Like can the dog whistle get any louder?

Last edited:
The same people who have this strange obsession with Day's Gone... for some reason... people who are afraid that Nathan Drake will be replaced, but also forget: Peter Parker (though there was already a thread against miles morales out of nowhere), Lucan Kellan, Sam Bridges, and Ryan Marks.

mnkl13

This shit right here is getting really fucking tiresome around here.

You all need to go outside. The world has changed.

what does that mean? the world is always changing, always has been, always will be. what's really f***ing tiresome is that kind of vage comment

i know that, i didn't it was woke, just that it looked like it could have been. and i'm happy that it's not, and the cast works. but if they had casted a diverse group of characters with a less diverse group of actors, lets say for exemple a more white cast, would you also say that it doesn't make it instantly racist? are you that consistent? because, usually, what it's supposed to happen is to have actors similar to the characters.

Imagine thinking that casting two popular HBO actors, one who has another hit show in The Mandalorian and the other who mainlined her own tv show in the Worst Witch were cast for diversity purposes...

Imagine casting Thandie Newton's daughter and having a problem it... [Note: Thandie Newton was on HBO's Westworld]

Like can the dog whistle get any louder?

castings shouldn't be about popularity. it should be about what's best for the character. i would prefer to see a face that i don't see so often, at the same level of talent. i didn't have a problem with it, i was just skeptical. didn't you ever been skeptical about a cast choice in your life? sometimes even the best actors do some shitty roles, so what's your point?

ps: love Thandie Newton, fell in love since mission impossible 2, don't have a problem with her daughter

castings shouldn't be about popularity. it should be about what's best for the character. i would prefer to see a face that i don't see so often, at the same level of talent. i didn't have a problem with it, i was just skeptical. didn't you ever been skeptical about a cast choice in your life? sometimes even the best actors do some shitty roles, so what's your point?

ps: love Thandie Newton, fell in love since mission impossible 2, don't have a problem with her daughter

Some casting choices are head-scratchers that turn out to be great choices, but neither Bella or Pedro were head-scratchers.

mnkl13

Some casting choices are head-scratchers that turn out to be great choices, but neither Bella or Pedro were head-scratchers.

so it means it can't be for someone else? is everyone hbo experts like you? let's imagine someone didn't see those actors on any other role. or on just a role that has no resemblance to the last of us characters, is that person alowed to look at them a scratch a little? just a little bit little?

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah the show is showing stuff that happens off screen. But still they refuse to show the fireflies fight. In the game with fedra and in the show with Robert gang lol
So what? Robert got a bullet to the head, does firefights make the show better? Need more action? Cmon now.

SLB1904

Banned
So what? Robert got a bullet to the head, does firefights make the show better? Need more action? Cmon now.
You misunderstanding me. I'm comparing the events from the game with show. In the game they didn't show how Marlene got shot either. So that fight happened off screen

so it means it can't be for someone else? is everyone hbo experts like you? let's imagine someone didn't see those actors on any other role. or on just a role that has no resemblance to the last of us characters, is that person alowed to look at them a scratch a little? just a little bit little?

I can get not having seen the worst witch, but you never watched game of thrones OR the mandalorian OR narcos? But you're jumping into prestige tv here...

Maybe you should leave the opinions to put who have more background then...

It would show how Joel handles himself in a firefight and give a clue why people like Robert fear him.

Do you mean the combat veteran bumper sticker, killing the old woman with a wrench, and beating a soldier (that same soldier alluding to him killing people earlier in the episode) to death with his bare hands wasn't enough?

Honestly, I don't think prestige tv is for everyone, some people are better off with NBC or FX.

LordOfChaos

i know that, i didn't it was woke, just that it looked like it could have been. and i'm happy that it's not, and the cast works. but if they had casted a diverse group of characters with a less diverse group of actors, lets say for exemple a more white cast, would you also say that it doesn't make it instantly racist? are you that consistent? because, usually, what it's supposed to happen is to have actors similar to the characters.

It's hard to even make sense of your writing. But there's nothing inherently tying Joel and Ellie to being white, it's a TV *adaptation* not a direct shot for shot replacement. The character is the plot arc and motives of the person, not the color of their skin.

Internally consistent means the family groups make sense, i.e in some low quality shows if there were two white parents with children of color that wouldn't make genetic sense. Everything here checks out, and it's not peddling any sort of agenda and sticking close to the reference material, so I'm not sure why the word woke even crossed your mind, just because Pedro is Chilean-American? Hm.

Characters of different cultures have long been cast by white leads and still are, so you're not just off base but off planet with this attempted rebuttal. It just becomes "woke" when a character that was white isn't in an adaptation, for super duper mysterious reasons

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Do you mean the combat veteran bumper sticker, killing the old woman with a wrench, and beating a soldier (that same soldier alluding to him killing people earlier in the episode) to death with his bare hands wasn't enough?

Honestly, I don't think prestige tv is for everyone, some people are better off with NBC or FX.
Joel losing it like that was all the way at the end and I doubt that was what Robert was afraid or even knew of. The TV show fell a little into the "tell, don't show trap" IMO with the Robert is afraid of Joel but we're never clued in why that is. In the game we had a shoot out showing what a threat Joel can be as an enemy.

Joel losing it like that was all the way at the end and I doubt that was what Robert was afraid or even knew of. The TV show fell a little into the "tell, don't show trap" IMO with the Robert is afraid of Joel but we're never clued in why that is. In the game we had a shoot out showing what a threat Joel can be as an enemy.

This show like Andor isn't going to be a pew-pew show. Maybe this isn't for you. And you know what? That's actually fine.

Ulysses 31

This show like Andor isn't going to be a pew-pew show. Maybe this isn't for you. And you know what? That's actually fine.
Andor is not based on an highly regarded adventure game so going in with more of a clean slate of expectations when watching that.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Andor is based on star wars and a spinoff of Rogue One, but keep telling yourself what you want to hear.
Yeah and I didn't like Rogue One that much, doesn't mean I can't like Andor because it has no lightsabres and Jedi in it. What Andor offers is a better view from the Empire's side, something we don't get from other SW shows (that I know of).

mnkl13

I can get not having seen the worst witch, but you never watched game of thrones OR the mandalorian OR narcos? But you're jumping into prestige tv here...

Maybe you should leave the opinions to put who have more background then...
not talking about me, it was an hipotetical person. i don't care how many shows the actors have done. they could be on everyshow on earth and there could head scratching

not talking about me, it was an hipotetical person. i don't care how many shows the actors have done. they could be on everyshow on earth and there could head scratching

By people who don't know what they're talking about, yet the rest of the country and the world are very familiar with both actors are they're perceived very well.

Yeah and I didn't like Rogue One that much, doesn't mean I can't like Andor because it has no lightsabres and Jedi in it. What Andor offers is a better view from the Empire's side, something we don't get from other SW shows (that I know of).

And The Last of Us gives more a view on human nature through loss. It's not going to be a show with a lot of pew-pew either.

It's funny that you like Andor because the same people who criticized it of not being Star Wars because it wasn't pew-pew are the people you're replicating now.

Top Bottom