• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us - Review Thread

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What "insane" theories have I repeated?

uhh...You shared a reddit post that talked about the changes made in TLOU 2 where the color tone was changed at the hospital. You believed that it was made to somehow make the doctor look "innocent" compared to the first game.

That was one of many. You share a lot of stuff from TLOU2 reddit and they're always throwing out some ridiculous theories.

Ulysses 31

uhh...You shared a reddit post that talked about the changes made in TLOU 2 where the color tone was changed at the hospital. You believed that it was made to somehow make the doctor look "innocent" compared to the first game.

That was one of many. You share a lot of stuff from TLOU2 reddit and they're always throwing out some ridiculous theories.
Nothing insane going on there, it went into detail how the TLOU2 prologue changed/favored one interpretation with screenshots and descriptions. It is objectively true that things were left out that as a result made Joel look more like a villain. The operating room change does influence the visual story telling. It's a stretch to call any of that insane.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nothing insane going on there, it went into detail how the TLOU2 prologue changed/favored one interpretation with screenshots and descriptions. It is objectively true that things were left out and as a result made Joel look more like a villain. The operating room change does influence the visual story telling. It's a stretch to call any of that insane.
The argument doesn't hold. It's just a scene updated after 7 years with the help of new lighting tech. A PS3 game versus a PS4 game.

Nearly all of the theories from tlou2 reddit are about Joel. That should show you how much they're coping after so many years. It's not "objectively true" when people can easily debunk the myth.

There's nothing else to be said.

Ulysses 31

The argument doesn't hold. It's just a scene updated after 7 years with the help of new lighting tech. A PS3 game versus a PS4 game.

Nearly all of the theories from tlou2 reddit are about Joel. That should show you how much they're coping after so many years. It's not "objectively true" when people can easily debunk the myth.

There's nothing else to be said.
Leaving out all the important context that lead to the shoot out is an unfair way to recount what happened before. It's the game trying to gaslight you and I don't appreciate that. Also the PS3 is powerful enough to render a clean(er) operating room than the run down one we got to see so what the PS3 showed was a deliberate choice considering how important that moment is in the story. The operating room part is "fixed" with the Part 1 version though.

Neil is free to revise the story in later games but if he does it in underhanded ways then I take issue with it. It's not that complicated. I'll check out TLOU3 is it ever comes.

Last edited:
Nothing insane going on there, it went into detail how the TLOU2 prologue changed/favored one interpretation with screenshots and descriptions. It is objectively true that things were left out that as a result made Joel look more like a villain. The operating room change does influence the visual story telling. It's a stretch to call any of that insane.
The entire lighting for TLOU Remake keeps up with TLOU2 interpretation as well...and both are different from the original but it's not just that part...it's the entire game.
Tech evolved, so did lighting. It's not just the hospital level dude.

And make Joel look more like the villain? In the original you have Joel listening to tapes where Marlene is asking for forgiveness for killing Ellie, and wanting there to be another way to do things...you have Marlene bleeding on the floor unarmed begging Joel to let her go...and he still shoots her in the head. Joel's actions from the original were always going to haunt him in the end...it was pretty obvious.

Ulysses 31

The entire lighting for TLOU Remake keeps up with TLOU2 interpretation as well...and both are different from the original but it's not just that part...it's the entire game.
Tech evolved, so did lighting. It's not just the hospital level dude.
Effort went into making the operating room look run down, I seriously doubt it was because the PS3's lack of processing power. But that point is now moot with the Part 1 version of the game if you see that as the definitive version.
And make Joel look more like the villain? In the original you have Joel listening to tapes where Marlene is asking for forgiveness for killing Ellie, and wanting there to be another way to do things...you have Marlene bleeding on the floor unarmed begging Joel to let her go...and he still shoots her in the head. Joel's actions from the original were always going to haunt him in the end...it was pretty obvious.
TLOU1 Joel is not a good moral person, he was a hunter afterall, doesn't mean he can't do good things like coming to Ellie's defence. Him killing Marlene probably was unnecessary but it seemed inline with his survivalist character(he killed the dude too after he tortured the info out of him). My issue with the TLOU2 prologue is how it retells the events at the hospital.

I have no issues with Joel's past catching up to him, it's just that it happened in such a contrived way.

Last edited:

yurinka

TLOU1 Joel is not a good moral person, he was a hunter afterall, doesn't mean he can't do good things like coming to Ellie's defence. Him killing Marlene probably was unnecessary but it seemed inline with his survivalist character(he killed the dude too after he tortured the info out of him). My issue with the TLOU2 prologue is how it retells the events at the hospital.

I have no issues with Joel's past catching up to him, it's just that it happened in such a contrived way.
I think Joel's actions in the first game shouldn't be judged with our morals, he has been living for many years in that apocalyptic world where you kill or get killed and people kill each other for food, resources and stuff, and also with FEDRA's tiranny above them, so morals are different in that wild world.

And well, he has the trauma he had for losing his daughter and very likely he also lost important other people due to scavengers / hunters / monsters / etc. so probably has a lot of shit on his head. I think Joel does in the game the stuff that most people would do in that context to survive. People too nice, peaceful and naive would get killed soon there. I don't think Joel or Ellie are evil, I think are normal people of that wild context that adapted to it and basically are forced to be like that if they want to survive.

But yes, I noticed that Naughty Dog followed the woke trend of demonizing males, and also wanting to getting rid of white heterosexual male characters because now the cult says it's 'problematic'/etc with all this 'toxic masculinity' shit so they rewritten the hospital scene in TLOU2 to make him look more evil.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Leaving out all the important context that lead to the shoot out is an unfair way to recount what happened before. It's the game trying to gaslight you and I don't appreciate that. Also the PS3 is powerful enough to render a clean(er) operating room than the run down one we got to see so what the PS3 showed was a deliberate choice considering how important that moment is in the story. The operating room part is "fixed" with the Part 1 version though.

Neil is free to revise the story in later games but if he does it in underhanded ways then I take issue with it. It's not that complicated. I'll check out TLOU3 is it ever comes.

There are no details left out. You're convinced that it's an "objective fact" when it's not. If you have been corrected many times about the story, then I wouldn't trust your interpretation of the story at all. I'm done lol

Ulysses 31

I think Joel's actions in the first game shouldn't be judged with our morals, he has been living for many years in that apocalyptic world where you kill or get killed and people kill each other for food, resources and stuff, and also with FEDRA's tiranny above them or the traume he had for losing his daughter.

But yes, I noticed that Naughty Dog followed the woke trend of demonizing males, and also wanting to getting rid of white heterosexual male characters because now the cult says it's 'problematic'/etc with all this 'toxic masculinity' shit so they rewritten the hospital scene in TLOU2 to make him look more evil.
I agree we should consider the environment people have to survive in but things like participating in a group that robs and kills people(or worse) is a stain on their moral character. That's not to say they can't better their lives. Ultimately you can't change the past so what matters most is what you do in the present.

Last edited:

yurinka

I agree we should consider the environment people have to survive in but things like being part of a group that robs and kills people(or worse) is a stain on their moral character. That's not to say they can't better their lives. Ultimately the past is the past and what matters most is what you do in the present.
People in that world robs and kills or die. He had no other choice to survive.

And well, Joel obviously wants to protect and save her 'daughter' (specially after having the other loss), specially knowing that pretty likely her death wouldn't mean to get a cure. So it's understandable he could go crazy, specially in the context of that violent world and with all the shit he had to manage.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

There are no details left out. You're convinced that it's an "objective fact" when it's not. If you have been corrected many times about the story, then I wouldn't trust your interpretation of the story at all. I'm done lol
What are you smoking? The TLOU2 prologue makes Joel look more like a butcher by leaving out how the Fireflies aggressed on Joel first, took his stuff and threaten to kill him if he tries to stop a murder of someone he deeply cares about. It is objective fact those things were left out.

It's not a good retelling of what happened in TLOU1.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

People in that world robs and kills or die. He had no other choice to survive.

And well, Joel obviously wants to protect and save her 'daughter' (specially after having the other loss), specially knowing that pretty likely her death wouldn't mean to get a cure. So it's understandable he could go crazy, specially in the context of that violent world and with all the shit he had to manage.
While I agree they probably didn't have much of choice at first till they were in a position to leave, there are hints that the hunters were brutal and didn't try to minimize suffering of their victims. Tommy said he still has nightmares of what he witnessed while he and Joel were part of the hunters.

Ellie was persistent in making Joel care for her and she ultimately succeeded so Joel coming to her defence is a logical consequence of that. They made future plans for after their hospital visit so Joel also has reason to believe Ellie wouldn't want to just die like that.

Last edited:

yurinka

While I agree they probably didn't have much of choice at first till they were in a position to leave, there are hints that the hunters were brutal and didn't try to minimize suffering of their victims. Tommy said he still has nightmares of what he witnessed while he and Joel were part of the hunters.
"Joel and Tommy Miller joined a hunter group at one point, and regularly ambushed unsuspecting travellers to steal their supplies and even torture them for information. The pair eventually left their hunter group, with Joel choosing to become a smuggler in Boston while Tommy joined the Fireflies. By 2033, according to Joel, hunter rule was the norm in many cities that were once QZs"

SLB1904

Banned
I mean that just really isn't true.

In 2002, 28 days later brought the genre back to life.
2004s shaun of the dead was a hit comedy take on it.
2007s I am Legend was a huge box office hit (zombies or vampires though, you decide)
2009's zombieland was a hit
2010s the walking dead was a cult phenom
2013's the last of us was a hit as well World War Z

Where the fatigue set in was with the decline of the walking dead as the standard bearer for the genre, the decline in viewership after season 5. This coincided with declining viewership of iZombie. The relative failure of Days Gone. Zombieland 2 performed worse than Zombieland 1 accounting for inflation and budget.

The Last of Us is going to be a real test to whether zombie fatigue is real or if it's restricted to the troubled development of individual titles.
Well. Are zombie fatigue still a thing?

I finished the remake 2 weeks ago so the story is very fresh to me again. I think the first episode was amazing. Its almost 1:1 with the game and dialogue. Some characters are questionable but they all do a good job acting. I just dont understand why Joel's daughter is half black with afro hair...its totally opposite of the white blonde from in game.

Some will say its "woke" but even then i dont get it...why such a switch. The girl did do a great job but considering everything else was great this kind of stuck out. Why cant it be just a regular white family instead of trying to include every race that makes no sense. Tommy also....the personality is the same but like...why not blondish guy, this Tommy looks Mexican honestly.

Last edited:
Some actors look nothing like the characters. The guy playing Tommy Miller, for example. He looks nothing like Tommy. But otherwise, it's a very faithful adaptation in terms of the story and the locations.

I bet you anything that episode 2 will probably be a filler episode about how Ellie met Riley. This is kind of what would occur with The Walking Dead. It'd be getting to a really good bit, then boom. They'd hit you with flashbacks. But I don't mind that, so long as it ain't a constant thing. You know?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is your job to defend the TV series?

Lmfao

They noticed a trend to make women more masculine and uglier and men more feminine in modern shows and that seems to be the case here.
Ellie is bitchier here than she was in the game and the scene with her and Marlene suffered for it in their opinion.
I’d love to see a picture of you if you consider Pedro Pascal feminine.

All of the actors put in good, believable performances in my opinion and that’s the only thing that matters.

skneogaf

Watching the first episode again to try to like it as I love the games, I so wish spores were in it and why did they pick an 18 year old woman to play Sarah and a 19 year old woman to play Ellie I'll never understand.

Ellie is 19 in part 2 and looks much older than when she was in part 1 as a 14 year old so Bella Ramsey seriously needs to do some ageing to look 5 years older for part 2 series.

I'd be surprised if people prefer the changes if the show compared to the game as the show would have been amazing if they would have stuck with spores and chose a better cast.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Watching the first episode again to try to like it as I love the games, I so wish spores were in it and why did they pick an 18 year old woman to play Sarah and a 19 year old woman to play Ellie I'll never understand.

Ellie is 19 in part 2 and looks much older than when she was in part 1 as a 14 year old so Bella Ramsey seriously needs to do some ageing to look 5 years older for part 2 series.

I'd be surprised if people prefer the changes if the show compared to the game as the show would have been amazing if they would have stuck with spores and chose a better cast.

I think the show is great but I do miss the spores...You know, the main thing that Cordyceps actually use to spread are not in the show....seems like a damn poor take, especially when they showed the damn fully Fungus'd out corpse which would be spewing spores out.

Major shame!

Still loving it though, and ill get over it. Just glad I can finally get the Mrs to experience the awesomeness with me.

Last edited:

jm89

Who knows, we'll see how the ratings keep, but it does appear to have beaten any fatigue.
I think the type of zombies also play into the fatigue.

Walking dead has your typical slow zombies and the writers just don't know how to make them scary anymore other then making the characters being total idiots. The zombie is no longer the threat rather the characters idiocy.

Tlou won't have that problem, there is different types of zombies or infected that will keep things interesting. That's assuming they do introduce different types of infected.

Some actors look nothing like the characters. The guy playing Tommy Miller, for example. He looks nothing like Tommy. But otherwise, it's a very faithful adaptation in terms of the story and the locations.

I bet you anything that episode 2 will probably be a filler episode about how Ellie met Riley. This is kind of what would occur with The Walking Dead. It'd be getting to a really good bit, then boom. They'd hit you with flashbacks. But I don't mind that, so long as it ain't a constant thing. You know?
Considering episode 3 is about Bill, episode 2 is about the aftermath of Ellie being immune, Tess dying and Joel and Ellie moving on together.

Walking dead has your typical slow zombies and the writers just don't know how to make them scary anymore other then making the characters being total idiots. The zombie is no longer the threat rather the characters idiocy.

Tlou won't have that problem, there is different types of zombies or infected that will keep things interesting. That's assuming they do introduce different types of infected.

One of the strongest parts of the property is the focus on the monsters really being humanity. I know that's a big part of TWD too, but it's kind of the central theme to TLOU.

I think ultimately that helps this.

Ulysses 31

"Joel and Tommy Miller joined a hunter group at one point, and regularly ambushed unsuspecting travellers to steal their supplies and even torture them for information. The pair eventually left their hunter group, with Joel choosing to become a smuggler in Boston while Tommy joined the Fireflies. By 2033, according to Joel, hunter rule was the norm in many cities that were once QZs"
So you agree Tommy and Joel have done bad things in order to survive. They were with the hunters for years. They are better people now but to say they are morally good people is debatable.

They are so named because of their tendency to brutally kill anyone entering their territory (whom hunters refer to as "tourists") to steal their clothes, supplies, and food.

kyussman

I thought the episode was fine......it feels like a show that could go off the woke rails at any moment.I'll keep watching,but the first time my woke radar starts spinning I'll be out,I have no patience for it.

Ulysses 31

I finished the remake 2 weeks ago so the story is very fresh to me again. I think the first episode was amazing. Its almost 1:1 with the game and dialogue. Some characters are questionable but they all do a good job acting. I just dont understand why Joel's daughter is half black with afro hair...its totally opposite of the white blonde from in game.

Some will say its "woke" but even then i dont get it...why such a switch. The girl did do a great job but considering everything else was great this kind of stuck out. Why cant it be just a regular white family instead of trying to include every race that makes no sense. Tommy also....the personality is the same but like...why not blondish guy, this Tommy looks Mexican honestly.
You could be charitable and say she was the best actress available for the role but how likely is that explanation... 👀

I heard some reviewers say that she acted better (so far) than the Ellie actress. :messenger_winking_tongue:

yurinka

So you agree Tommy and Joel have done bad things in order to survive. They were with the hunters for years. They are better people now but to say they are morally good people is debatable.
Yes, they and everyone else in that world did bad (in the ethics and morality of our world/context, not theirs) things to survive, because in that world is the only option and there's no place to our ethics and morality. It's like asking wild animals who act with ethics and morality, doesn't make sense. In their context animals attack and kill others, defend their territory against foreigners or steal each other to survive, not because they are evil.

They explain there that back then it was the norm but that Joel and his brother didn't like it and when possible moved away to smuggling.

Well, nowadays tv shows are forced by a woke censorship team (using more friendly names) to include a certain quota or 'representation' of 'minorities' due to wokeness, if they don't fit some quotas they can't even participate in some awards.

But even considering that, I think Tommy and Joel's daughter actors are very talented professionals, very likable and do a great job, and are well integrated in the story. But regarding characterization I'd chosen something more similar to the game, as the great job they did with Joel, Marlene or Tess. They could have dyed their hair and chosen a more similar haircut for Tommy and the girl. I mean, the actress who plays Marlene has a different hairstyle in the real world but in the tv show they did put her a wig to make her look like in the game.

In the first episode had a small appeareance, but I think we'll like more this Tommy than the one from the game. The actor is very talented and out of the cast I think he's the only gamer and fan of the game before joining the project.

But well, I don't think these cases are an issue, because they do a great job and are well integrated in the story. Regarding wokism and TLOU what pissed me off was in TLOU2 when they wanted to paint their iconic, charismatic male character as evil and replace him with an uncharismatic poorly designed androginous ugly woman who also took care of a younger partner, in this case a trans. And was surrounded by a bunch of uncharismatic poorly built 'minorities' characters who added nothing to the story and where there as fillers wasting our times only to fill quotas. Plus well, they have that thing of make women uglier and manly, and show males as evil and violent ('toxic masculinity') etc.

In TLOU1 you had characters like Ellie, Bill or Marlene but were good, charismatic characters that had something to add to the story and their inclusion didn't feel forced at all. In fact I think they did a great job showing Ellie's sexuality explaining it in a natural and sensible way and was needed to show it because was an important part of the (Left Behind) story and to show a bit more of Ellie's background. It wasn't a case of 'hey, I'm an uncharismatic filler character of X minority who appears here for a few minutes and I don't add anything to the story (or I'm only here to be a bad replacement copy of beloved white/male character) but I'm here just to fill the representation quota checklist instead". And Joel actions were justified because were needed to survive in that wild, chaotic and super dangerous context plus the trauma he had with her loss not because 'white male are evil, toxic masculinity blabla'.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Agreed with the review impressions. It's really good, faithful and high quality, and where they changed things it's usually additive and not destructive. Only one episode so far, but this looks like one of the best game to TV adaptations out there.

....Give them Halo please, rather than the Jimmy Rings going to pound town with a PoW stuff...

This being one of my all time fav games I was tremendously excited to watch it.

The photography and cinematography is quite bad, the hand held makes the whole production amateurish, the extras and stage building is also poorly executed. I get that most of us want this to suceed, but if it was any other name on the poster this would get average 5's and 6's.

tmlDan

The camera constantly shaking for one and a half hours gave me nausea. Who thought this was a good idea?
Considering user and critic reviews gave it a score in the 90's mostly everyone thought it was a good idea.

They do it a ton of films

The photography and cinematography is quite bad, the hand held makes the whole production amateurish, the extras and stage building is also poorly executed. I get that most of us want this to suceed, but if it was any other name on the poster this would get average 5's and 6's.
It's the second biggest opening on HBO, it already succeeded if it can keep the majority of that audience and from the reviews from people and critics there's a good indication it will

The fact it has a videogame name on the poster is literally a reason for critics to be skeptical about this in the first place...not the other way around.

Ulysses 31

Yes, they and everyone else in that world did bad (in the ethics and morality of our world/context, not theirs) things to survive, because in that world is the only option and there's no place to our ethics and morality. It's like asking wild animals who act with ethics and morality, doesn't make sense. In their context animals attack and kill others, defend their territory against foreigners or steal each other to survive, not because they are evil.

They explain there that back then it was the norm but that Joel and his brother didn't like it and when possible moved away to smuggling.
There are settlements like Jackson where they don't rob and kill people so it depends what choice Tommy and Joel had. I'll gladly assume the didn't have any at first but that doesn't 100% excuse the bad things they did, the hunters are described as brutal and that strongly implies they did unnecessary cruel things too. They seemed to be helping people when they were with Jackson so they were on a path towards redemption for all the bad things they did to survive.

Last edited:

Hugare

Nah, it would break the flow.

I think they will show Riley flashbacks exactly like in the game, when Joel gets hurt. Anywhere else, it would hurt the pacing.

Joel getting hurt and Riley story juxtaposition works because shows Ellie losing one person that she loves / trying her hardest not to lose another one again.

That "I'm not letting you go, i'm not letting you go" she repeats once she finds the medkit for Joel hit me riight in the feels, and hopefuly they will reproduce it in the tv series

SLB1904

Banned

Yeah the set up made the clickers more scary. Normally zombies will be about eating brains or whatever. The clickers goal is to spread the infection as much as possible. So food ain't distracting them

Ulysses 31

Yeah the set up made the clickers more scary. Normally zombies will be about eating brains or whatever. The clickers goal is to spread the infection as much as possible. So food ain't distracting them
Isn't that another departure from the game? Clickers always tried to kill you there.

The wiki makes it seem like you still need to be alive for the infection to spread with its description of the host being taken over rather than dead bodies being reanimated by the infection.

Last edited:
It's pretty much the same thing. We saw multiple scenes of them being distracted while "spreading." They're all distracted while Joel and Sarah escape at the end except 1 who finishes up and chases them through that building.

SLB1904

Banned
It's pretty much the same thing. We saw multiple scenes of them being distracted while "spreading." They're all distracted while Joel and Sarah escape at the end except 1 who finishes up and chases them through that building.
Well yeah the job wasn't done. As soon there was no people to infect. They went after Joel. What I mean is zombies will normally eat you. Clickers dont

Ulysses 31

Oof, this dude is not a fan of most of the additions and has a lot to say about them. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Though he makes some interesting observations like why did they take a potentially infected kid into the city, strap the kid to a chair to test him there and not at the gate where the kid collapsed? It's a tyrannical regime with a soft spot for kids?.

Or that Joel is estranged from his brother(like in the game) but here he communicates with him daily and gets concerned if he doesn't.

Biggest red flag for him was Joel getting that PTSD that he and his daughter were about to be shot, it's too early for Joel to think of Ellie as someone he has to protect like his own daughter, Ellie at this point is just a meal ticket to him.

There were some mistakes in the review though like the reviewer saying Joel killed Fireflies in the beginning of the game while those dudes(IIRC) worked for the arms dealer.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Nodded off towards the end (I was tired) but thought it was decent enough. Pascal was adequate based on screen time, while Bella Ramsey made a very strong impression with comparatively less. Anna Torv on the other hand I thought was badly miscast and way inferior to Annie Wersching's original portrayal.

Bonus points for the DM needle-drop at the end (what is it with Zombie shows and their fixation on UK synth-pop bands? Wang Chung's Space Junk on TWD and now this).

Overall will likely watch again once there a few more episodes released, its hard to be gripped when you already are so familiar with the plot and its key beats.

Top Bottom