• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us - Review Thread

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I wanted to see what this Last of Us was going to say about it and here it is.

- He watched the first episode with his wife. She gave it a 9 and he gave it an 8.
- The show is pretty damn accurate to the video game.
- He believes the casting is pretty good for the most part, even though he believes the actors should look like the characters.
- As the show went on, he started seeing Pedro as Joel, Gabriel as Tommy, Anna as Tess etc.
- His biggest complaint is Bella Ramsey as Ellie. He says she's not as bad as she thought she would be, but she's not great either.

And yet video games are one of the largest entertainment drivers on Planet Earth. We are at least 15 years past the time when gaming was considered "nerdy".

Music is less in demand than gaming these days, they probably feel threatened. Music Journalism is even more dire, what are you gonna do lol

I wanted to see what this Last of Us was going to say about it and here it is.

- He watched the first episode with his wife. She gave it a 9 and he gave it an 8.
- The show is pretty damn accurate to the video game.
- He believes the casting is pretty good for the most part, even though he believes the actors should look like the characters.
- As the show went on, he started seeing Pedro as Joel, Gabriel as Tommy, Anna as Tess etc.
- His biggest complaint is Bella Ramsey as Ellie. He says she's not as bad as she thought she would be, but she's not great either.

He sounds like someone that is too stuck in the mindset of the game. Certain fans need to accept that the show is the show and the game is the game.

People never nitpick every spider-man iteration for being different

Last edited:
People never nitpick every spider-man iteration for being different
keenan-snl.gif

Yeah, I’ve never seen people up in arms about different spider-man IP being different form the last, everyone just accepts they’re in their own universe and can do whatever they want with the characters.

We got into the spider-verse with dead peter parker, we got spider-man ps4, with miles and peter existing at once, the comics where they didn’t originally exist in the same universe now they do, all the villains always have unique takes, they change peter parks personality and physical appearance every iteration, etc.

They literally had 3 spider-men in the same movie talking about how different their worlds are. Why can’t people let things exist in their own medium and universe?

Same with FF7, the remake isn’t a replacement for the original its doing its own thing and its better for it. We get some fan service moments but a lot of new stuff to be excited about. Thats how it should be

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It'll turn out to be a nicely made but fairly standard zombie survival story that's not worth arguing about. But yeah that won't stop the crazies and their hot takes.
Chill No GIF by Desus & Mero

The game is anything but a fairly standard zombie survival story AND the TV show going by the reviews is anything but a fairly standard zombie survival story... Mate.. I hate to break this to you BUT YOU ARE ONE OF THE FUCKING CRAZIES with your lame ass take

Nico_D

Many critics are saying the show is better if you haven't played the game. Evidently camera angles and other things is 1:1 with the game.

FingerBang

I love the fact this season covers the entirety of the first game and that the second one will cover the events of Part II. I wonder whether they'll take a long break between the two, since it'd make sense they'd capitalize on the release for part III.

I am also sure they'll change the structure of Season II to mix the events of the 2 characters.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Many critics are saying the show is better if you haven't played the game. Evidently camera angles and other things is 1:1 with the game.

Of course it's better. We know the entire story. I hope there are some small changes here and there to keep things somewhat fresh for gamers.

Nico_D

Of course it's better. We know the entire story. I hope there are some small changes here and there to keep things somewhat fresh for gamers.

I've watched many shows which are better the 2nd time over. I think the point is that coming from different media but still being very loyal to the original may lower the experience. That it is like watching the game cutscenes in live action.

My one criticism though is people should look at rotten tomatoes scores a bit more closely.

The tomato meter is not a score really, it's just the number of reviewers who thought it was better than a 6/10. It's a pretty misleading metric.

It's real score among critics is an 8.7/10 (top critic score is significantly lower, but only 2 reviews really tank it)

Barry - 8.1/10
Chernobyl - 8.9/10
Peacemaker - 7.7/10
House of the Dragon - 7.9/10
Game of Thrones - 8.35/10
White Lotus - 8.4/10
Succession - 7.9/10
Euphoria - 7.4/10

The only show from here that has a higher actual season 1 average is Chernobyl, which I think is really more impressive than the tomato meter score.

I actually hate how much critics are even talking about the game. First off, the vast majority of them probably never played it. Just review it on its own merits, but they talk about the game for the clicks whether they played it or not.

Ulysses 31

I actually hate how much critics are even talking about the game. First off, the vast majority of them probably never played it. Just review it on its own merits, but they talk about the game for the clicks whether they played it or not.
Well if it's claiming to be a faithful adaptation then those familiar with the game have grounds to make comparisons.

Changes doesn't have to mean it's worse as long as the show sticks to them.

Fools idol

Banned
If this came out as just a show and the game didnt exist the quality on which it would be judged like any other show y'all nerds would be losing your shit - its amazing. I could give a damn if the characters 'look like' the game, especially when its sooooo close to the source materials

SLB1904

Banned
My one criticism though is people should look at rotten tomatoes scores a bit more closely.

The tomato meter is not a score really, it's just the number of reviewers who thought it was better than a 6/10. It's a pretty misleading metric.

It's real score among critics is an 8.7/10 (top critic score is significantly lower, but only 2 reviews really tank it)

Barry - 8.1/10
Chernobyl - 8.9/10
Peacemaker - 7.7/10
House of the Dragon - 7.9/10
Game of Thrones - 8.35/10
White Lotus - 8.4/10
Succession - 7.9/10
Euphoria - 7.4/10

The only show from here that has a higher actual season 1 average is Chernobyl, which I think is really more impressive than the tomato meter score.
Nobody cares. We eating

I'm surprised Part 2 hasn't been announced for PC yet. It's strange. I wonder what they are holding it back for?

Waiting a few months after they release Part 1 maybe?

If it's not some crazy remake it should come soon after the remake.

I guess they want first time players to play Part 1 before Part 2.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Not suprising , the opening of the last of us has one of the best narrative I ever seen . You was hit with everything , the shock , the awe ,the thrill, the emotional , the world before and after , the introduction of the post-apocalyptic world . You feel the world , the characters . Its 10/10 .

After that its still good but not that good anymore .

Last edited:
I'm surprised Part 2 hasn't been announced for PC yet. It's strange. I wonder what they are holding it back for?

Waiting a few months after they release Part 1 maybe?
If it's not some crazy remake it should come soon after the remake.

I guess they want first time players to play Part 1 before Part 2.

It may make more sense to release and promote it around the release of the second season

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Jesus what a fanboy circlejerk this thread is. It actually makes me dislike the show.

And this should be in the off-topic section. Stop using the excuse it's based on a game, or else we are gonna see tv show news here constantly.
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is This Post Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes And Ignore The Thread Haha

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Is This Post Real Hahahaha Nigga Just Walk Away From The Screen Like Nigga Close Your Eyes And Ignore The Thread Haha

Isn’t it funny how that same user had no problem with the ‘circlejerk’ that elden ring got and certainly didn’t ruin the game for him? 🤔

Why? if you only base it on the scores, Elden Ring crushes it.

That's a hell of a long time away though. We are talking like 18 months minimum I assume.

Will be interesting to see what they do. Also I wonder if they'll release a PS5 only version at the same time......

Presumably, you're bringing in a lot of new fans, which ultimately brings a lot more attention to spoilers, you also want to avoid oversaturation.

Few things to consider
- 10 year anniversary of TLOU is this summer
- They probably release the TLOU Multiplayer game this summer
- TLOUP1 PC doesn't come out until March 3rd (right before the 2nd to last episode comes out)
- If they do more seasons based on a 3rd game, that game likely won't come out until 2025-2027. I think we can all presume about 18-24 months in between seasons.

I think they will do a native PS5 release and a PC port.

Death Stranding Directors Cut came out in September with the PC port coming out the following March. 6 months.
The PS5 version of Legacy of Thieves Collection came out in January and then the PC port came out in October. 9 months.
Spider-Man came out for PS5 in November. PC port came out in August. 9 months.

This isn't to say that things have to follow this type of pattern. Especially since ND has said they learned lessons from the PC port of Uncharted.

But my guess is we would get a PS5 native port of the last of us 2 late this year followed by a PC port around the release of the next season.

Pelta88

Networks can order/commission a new series the moment they see the viewership and most importantly the 18-34 demographic number.

Season 1 could be ready with a year.

Spaceman292

Banned
Chill No GIF by Desus & Mero

The game is anything but a fairly standard zombie survival story AND the TV show going by the reviews is anything but a fairly standard zombie survival story... Mate.. I hate to break this to you BUT YOU ARE ONE OF THE FUCKING CRAZIES with your lame ass take
The story literally has zombie movie tropes that Shaun of the Dead was making fun of in 2004. The game is really good but the story is fairly standard.

gioGAF

I will believe it when I see it. HBO doesn't have good track record recently. Sure, House of the Dragon was actually good, but I'm getting a Watchmen vibe from this. All the critics are loving it? That is a bad sign in my book.

I will believe it when I see it. HBO doesn't have good track record recently. Sure, House of the Dragon was actually good, but I'm getting a Watchmen vibe from this. All the critics are loving it? That is a bad sign in my book.

If we ignore Barry, White Lotus, Watchmen, Peacemarker, Station 11, We Own This City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, House of The Dragon, Chernobyl, Succession, Euphoria, etc. yeah… I can see how HBO might be on a gigantic losing streak.

Last edited:

gioGAF

I'm sorry, you are not making much of a point by anything you listed. You don't seem to have read what I wrote (e.g., recent, House of the Dragon is good, Watchmen is trash). You might be equating "critic" reception with good, which I disagree with. Either way, I am having a hard time seeing how TLOU survives the inevitable updates for the modern audience. The first game is outdated by today's ridiculous standards, while the second game fits right in.

Btw, HBO is on a losing streak, their numbers keep going down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom