• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Max revealed, will snatch Friends from Netflix

I think that these companies would be better off it they tried to just offer this as an option with a Netflix bundle, especially if they offered their services at a reduced price when joining them through Netflix. It would make sense to offer it at a reduced price because people who are already paying for one streaming service are less likely to pay for another but if it was at a reduced price that would significantly increase their chances of going with multiple services.

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

Netflix Total Premium Pack With HBO Max & Disney+ & Hulu
$35

It's like how the old cable bundles used to be and really it just makes sense that this is what should happen.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I think that the battle will be ruthless, but over the next couple of years some of these streaming services will die, others will be merged or get bought out. At the end of it, there will be a few big ones standing.

Just like in the music space you got a lot, but its really all about Apple Music and Spotify. Everything else is much much less important and rarely get exclusives.

I got Google Music and it's great.

I think that these companies would be better off it they tried to just offer this as an option with a Netflix bundle, especially if they offered their services at a reduced price when joining them through Netflix. It would make sense to offer it at a reduced price because people who are already paying for one streaming service are less likely to pay for another but if it was at a reduced price that would significantly increase their chances of going with multiple services.

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

$35

It's like how the old cable bundles used to be and really it just makes sense that this is what should happen.

But why would Disney and Warner (HBO Max) want to partner with Netflix? I think they are trying to directly compete against them.

how many subscriptions are you guys willing to dish out for? for me, it's 3 tops, assuming it's priced around $5 - 13.

4 for me. I get Hulu for free with my Sprint phone package. I got Amazon Prime, with my Prime membership. And I have HBO and Netflix.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna say why the fuck do people want to see Friends so fucking much? Do they not get tired of the laughtrack? I'd say that if I didn't know multiple people that watch that shit at least 5 times over in a year. At that point I wonder why they don't just buy the bd, rip em and put em on their PLEX server? Or HDD.

tkscz

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

$35

Would that kind of cost be enough for those companies? Would it make them more money to get part of Netflix's profits, or would it be better just to go out on their own? And again, that's just cable's way of doing things. You pay extra to have Disney and their owned channels, you pay more for Warner and their owned channels, you pay more for Viacom and their own channels, etc etc... That was what people wanted to get away from (but without noticing have walked right back into). Even then, wouldn't it be no different than just going with two of those or three of those while ignoring Netflix? For example, I have no reason to have Netflix. Nothing on there really catches me that I can't find elsewhere. I don't care for any of their original content either. It's why I'd rather have HBO Max and Disney+.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
how many subscriptions are you guys willing to dish out for? for me, it's 3 tops, assuming it's priced around $5 - 13.

I see it as moot as I don't need them all at once. I can just sign up for one when content hits I want to watch (or play in the case of Gamepass etc.), then when it runs out I can grab another month if I'm still consuming content there, or cancel and sign up for another service that has things I want to watch/play.

Currently in terms of TV streaming we only have Netflix, but we also have Amazon just because we keep prime for shipping and Hulu as they included the ad supported version with Spotify for no extra cost. To be fair, we have cable still (Xfinity is our only ISP option and they charge way more for internet with out cable and we both watch a ton--especially me with sports that are a hassle to stream without a cable sub).

I'll grab months of Disney+ around the Star Wars shows I want to watch. HBO we just pay for it through cable, better to pay the $15 there than for streaming and also have that toward our 1TB data cap. No interest in HBO Max or other streaming services beyond that. Maybe there will be something my wife subs too though as she watches a ton more than I do and lost access to On Demand recently and Xfinity stopped supporting that on Tivo devices.

mckmas8808

I see it as moot as I don't need them all at once. I can just sign up for one when content hits I want to watch (or play in the case of Gamepass etc.), then when it runs out I can grab another month if I'm still consuming content there, or cancel and sign up for another service that has things I want to watch/play.

Currently in terms of TV streaming we only have Netflix, but we also have Amazon just because we keep prime for shipping and Hulu as they included the ad supported version with Spotify for no extra cost. To be fair, we have cable still (Xfinity is our only ISP option and they charge way more for internet with out cable and we both watch a ton--especially me with sports that are a hassle to stream without a cable sub).

I'll grab months of Disney+ around the Star Wars shows I want to watch. HBO we just pay for it through cable, better to pay the $15 there than for streaming and also have that toward our 1TB data cap. No interest in HBO Max or other streaming services beyond that. Maybe there will be something my wife subs too though as she watches a ton more than I do and lost access to On Demand recently and Xfinity stopped supporting that on Tivo devices.

When you sign back up with these services do you get to use your same email address? And if so, do they keep your video wishlist and history alive?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
When you sign back up with these services do you get to use your same email address? And if so, do they keep your video wishlist and history alive?

Probably, but may vary by service. Netflix I know saves it. We don't really wish list things though, watched history was still there (and DVD/Bluray queue for the mail service which I've cancelled and renewed many times over the years).

I'd be surprised if most didn't save them for some amount of time though. There's usually options to "reactivate" accounts in streaming services when you log back in after canceling, so it's not a matter of making a new account or signing up again.

sol_bad

Which is something most people don't seem to understand. But it's not our fault, it's the fault of Warner. They shouldn't have called it HBO MAX.

Surely all they need to do is put out a picture. Stick HBO Max logo at the top and then all of the logos for the "channels" you get under it. Put the word "includes" under the HBO Max logo. Then a price in the top right hand corner.
Simple. Done.

black_13

Banned
I just hope that you can cancel these subscriptions without penalty cause I really want this and I'm thinking every month I'll cancel one subscription and try another one till I get bored of that one. None of the Netflix original content interests me anymore and they are losing all the other stuff as well.

mckmas8808

I just hope that you can cancel these subscriptions without penalty cause I really want this and I'm thinking every month I'll cancel one subscription and try another one till I get bored of that one. None of the Netflix original content interests me anymore and they are losing all the other stuff as well.

I'm always surprised when I see people say this, when Netflix always has good content coming out on the service through out the year.

sol_bad

Looks like HBO Max will have The Office and Dr Who exclusively.

It really looks more and more like I'll cancel Netflix once HBO Max and Disney+ hit. I can cancel my Amazon HBO suscription too.
I wonder what NBCUniversals streaming service will offer.

wipeout364

Netflix days are numbered. They are a mess financially, otherwise someone would have bought them. They have been very successful at lining the pockets of Reed Hastings friends so I will give them that.

Once the movie and tv networks started launching their own services the end was always going to be near.

mckmas8808

Netflix days are numbered. They are a mess financially, otherwise someone would have bought them. They have been very successful at lining the pockets of Reed Hastings friends so I will give them that.

Once the movie and tv networks started launching their own services the end was always going to be near.

Nah, not at all. They have enough stuff they are creating themselves to be relevant. What you mean is the days of Netflix dominating the stream TV world is over. That's 100% correct. But Netflix will always matter in this space (if they control spending and keep making good content).

mckmas8808

And now The Big Bang and Two and a Half Men exclusivity.

So what is CBS doing? Don't they have an app for people to download? I guess this is just extra money, but $1.5 Billion for those 2 shows is insane right? Is this like a 10 year exclusive deal or something?

sol_bad

So what is CBS doing? Don't they have an app for people to download? I guess this is just extra money, but $1.5 Billion for those 2 shows is insane right? Is this like a 10 year exclusive deal or something?

No idea but that is insane money. I don't think CBS own enough properties to compete with Disney, Warner and Universal so it makes sense to take that money. They seem to own Showtime based on a quick Google search but even that doesn't have that many great shows. The CBS All Access and Showtime streaming services are separate, CBS All Access seems like a total rip off as it's $10usd a month and is really lacking in content. According to Justwatch.com and Reelgood.com it doesn't even have Two and a Half Men.

mckmas8808

No idea but that is insane money. I don't think CBS own enough properties to compete with Disney, Warner and Universal so it makes sense to take that money. They seem to own Showtime based on a quick Google search but even that doesn't have that many great shows. The CBS All Access and Showtime streaming services are separate, CBS All Access seems like a total rip off as it's $10usd a month and is really lacking in content. According to Justwatch.com and Reelgood.com it doesn't even have Two and a Half Men.

Welp.....why don't you look at that.

(Bloomberg) -- CBS Corp. and Viacom Inc. may be done keeping investors waiting. The media giants are expected to announce a merger as soon as Tuesday, the culmination of years of on-again, off-again discussions. They’ve agreed on an exchange ratio of 0.59625 a share of CBS for each of Viacom’s for the all-stock merger, according to people familiar with the situation. At this level, a deal would peg Viacom at around its current market value of close to $12 billion. The agreement struck between the companies is in principle and won’t be final until it’s announced, the people said.

Looks like CBS is about to get busy.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Welp.....why don't you look at that.

Looks like CBS is about to get busy.

When that goes through, that would put CBS, Paramount, Showtime, Comedy Central and Nickelodean under the one roof. Selling their shows to HBO Max makes even less sense now.

tkscz

I know it sounds unreal but 1.5 billion would be a drop to have those to shows. TaaHM and TBBT are syndication goldmines. People love the hell out of these shows and still watch the reruns, knowing the shows are over. Have Friends, Prince of Bel Air, Two and a Half Men, and The Big Bang Theory would net a LOT o subscribers. Hell, if they got exclusive to Seinfeld with that, they'd be in the subscription bank.

Though as you posted, CBS and Viacom aren't going to let that happen. Those are goldmines you don't just give up.

When that goes through, that would put CBS, Paramount, Showtime, Comedy Central and Nickelodean under the one roof. Selling their shows to HBO Max makes even less sense now.

When Disney finally bought out Fox, I honest thought Warner was going to retaliate by buying out Viacom. The AT&T merger doesn't feel like a wise busy decision with the amount of Debt that AT&T already had.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

What exactly does Paramount offer though out of that group?

GamingKaiju

Great another streaming service :messenger_astonished:

I'm already cutting back on my Sky and have cancelled Netflix/Prime. I piggy back off my Brothers Netflix for Stranger Things and anything else that might be of interest but I find a lot of Netflix's home grown stuff isn't very good.

Last edited:

example:

Netflix Basic Bundle $13

Netflix With HBO Max $20

Netflix With Disney+ $20

Netflix With Hulu $20

$35

i mean this is the most likely outcome once the services realize its unsustainable for 95% of them. they're just willing to abuse the market for a couple years until theres a straw that breaks the camels back. at that point though its just netflix partnering with hbo, saying instead of licensing your shows to appear on all of netflix packages, we'll give you a cut of the subs just for the hbo+netflix package, while nflx handles all the hosting/upkeep/bandwidth fees/ etc.

Uhtred

At what point do all these streaming services cost more than having cable when combines to actually and have variety?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

i mean this is the most likely outcome once the services realize its unsustainable for 95% of them. they're just willing to abuse the market for a couple years until theres a straw that breaks the camels back. at that point though its just netflix partnering with hbo, saying instead of licensing your shows to appear on all of netflix packages, we'll give you a cut of the subs just for the hbo+netflix package, while nflx handles all the hosting/upkeep/bandwidth fees/ etc.

This will have to be a deal that Netflix makes, because Disney, nor Time Warner is going to do this on their own. They own enough content that people love to not join Netflix. It'll have to be Netflix bending the knee to Times Warner (HBO Max) and Disney (Hulu, Disney+, ESPN+, FX+, etc).
At what point do all these streaming services cost more than having cable when combines to actually and have variety?

That's the beauty of having all these streaming services. You don't have to have them ALL at the same time. Have Netflix for 3 months and then drop it for a year. You can watch 100 hours of TV and movies in those 3 months (costing you $45 total dollars) and then turn it off with no termination fees.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
HBO Max better offer a 4K streaming option. HBO streaming is noticeably inferior to Netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime. 4K streaming has come a LONG way. I am blown away by how good Britannia looks streamed on my OLED.

Last edited:
Top Bottom