• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Greenlights “Game of Thrones” Prequel Pilot

bitbydeath

The successful one is penned by author and co-executive producer George R.R. Martin and writer Jane Goldman.

The project will be a prequel, set thousands of years before the events of “Game of Thrones” and chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. The series will explore the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history, the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East, and the Starks of legend.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/hbo-greenlights-thrones-prequel-pilot/

Geki-D

Banned
The biggest question this will raise is why the GoT universe hasn't evolved in terms of technology for thousands of years.

There will be more dragons. I’m sure people will be happy about that.

Probably more sister fucking, back stabbing, and floppy wieners too. The show has set high expectations lol.

Good that its so far behind and not a set of books, those fucking idiots who fell over themselves to spoil the show were the worst.

Geki-D

Banned
In the GoT universe, the Chinese do not exist to give Westeros gunpowder.
I guess? Maybe they could have discovered it themselves though through other means? I mean they advanced to the iron age, so I assume they moved from a bronze age at one point. I dunno, I just assume that in a world where literal magic exists, they'd evolve a bit more over thousands of years rather than look like it could set 3 days before or after the current series.

It's not just GoT though, pretty much every piece of media with a similar setting suffers from this.

I guess? Maybe they could have discovered it themselves though through other means? I mean they advanced to the iron age, so I assume they moved from a bronze age at one point. I dunno, I just assume that in a world where literal magic exists, they'd evolve a bit more over thousands of years rather than look like it could set 3 days before or after the current series.

It's not just GoT though, pretty much every piece of media with a similar setting suffers from this.

As a "rule" in fantasy, technology generally comes from a non-human race. Dwarves, gnomes....

ASoIaF universe is pretty grounded in humanity.

Fantasy worlds don't need to progress, they just need to do what works best for the story.

Yi Ti are basically the Planetos version of China.

Who is the most well-known Yi Ti character in the book/show?

bitbydeath

The biggest question this will raise is why the GoT universe hasn't evolved in terms of technology for thousands of years.

I’m guessing they peaked at magic and didn’t need to evolve further but then that came crashing down on them.

DKehoe

Who is the most well-known Yi Ti character in the book/show?

There aren't any really. In the first book Dany sees someone from Yi Ti in a marketplace but they are just the equivalent of an extra.

They have some fun backstory stuff though. For example they have their own equivalent of The Wall, The Five Forts which were meant to defend against the demons of The Lion Of The Night.

The westeros wiki has some more information on them if you are interested. Check out the page for The Golden Empire of Yi Ti and it's predecessor The Great Empire of the Dawn

Last edited:
There aren't any really. In the first book Dany sees someone from Yi Ti in a marketplace but they are just the equivalent of an extra.

They have some fun backstory stuff though. For example they have their own equivalent of The Wall, The Five Forts which were meant to defend against the demons of The Lion Of The Night.

The westeros wiki has some more information on them if you are interested. Check out the page for The Golden Empire of Yi Ti and it's predecessor The Great Empire of the Dawn

I read the wiki, but most of that strikes me as fan fiction if they're not actually featured as canon.

DKehoe

I read the wiki, but most of that strikes me as fan fiction if they're not actually featured as canon.

It’s info that comes from The Worlds of Ice and Fire and The Lands of Ice and Fire. So it’s canon. I wouldn’t expect any of that stuff to play into the story directly. It’s just world building, and probably mirrors some things that have happened/will happen in Westeros.

Kadayi

Banned
So does this mean the other 4 are dead in the water now? I recall GRRM made great play about working with Bryan Cogman on one of them. I kind of figured if anything, that was most likely to make the cut tbh.

It’s info that comes from The Worlds of Ice and Fire and The Lands of Ice and Fire. So it’s canon. I wouldn’t expect any of that stuff to play into the story directly. It’s just world building, and probably mirrors some things that have happened/will happen in Westeros.

GRRM made that stuff up for fans because he's such a poor writer that he couldn't fit it in one of his 700 pg novels. lol.

DKehoe

GRRM made that stuff up for fans because he's such a poor writer that he couldn't fit it in one of his 700 pg novels. lol.

Or it’s stuff that came from his already existing notes. Being able to fit in every single detail of your world’s background doesn’t make you a good writer.

If you want to go more in depth on it, here’s a post someone wrote about how they think the Bloodstone Emperor stuff is going to be similar to Westeros’ upcoming War for the Dawn. There’s perhaps some tinfoil in there but it’s interesting and there’s certainly some foreshadowing there. Or check out the History of Westeros podcast episode on The Great Empire of Dawn.

Top Bottom