• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever accidentally stumbled upon a major AAA game that you had no idea existed until then?

Elysion

Banned
This happened to me recently with Far Cry: Primal.

I had no idea that there is a Far Cry game in a prehistoric setting, until I saw some footage in a Youtube video about open world games! And the game came out five years ago! Somehow I must have completely missed any marketing or info related to the game, or maybe I‘ve forgotten it for some reason, lol (Is the game any good, btw?)

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience, where you see a game and you‘re like „holy shit, I had no idea this even existed!“ I‘m mainly talking about AAA games here, since smaller titles (especially Indy games) are much easier to miss.

SLB1904

Banned
I have avoided some AAA games because they didn't interest me. Like TLOU2.
cool. but thats not what this topic is about.

ot: was playing international super soccer 98 in my mates house, than i looked around found this game with this dude with a big sword on the back. (ff7)

I had no idea that there is a Far Cry game in a prehistoric setting, until I saw some footage in a Youtube video about open world games! And the game came out five years ago! Somehow I must have completely missed any marketing or info related to the game, or maybe I‘ve forgotten it for some reason, lol (Is the game any good, btw?)

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience, where you see a game and you‘re like „holy shit, I had no idea this even existed!“ I‘m mainly talking about AAA games here, since smaller titles (especially Indy games) are much easier to miss.
i heard is good. i didnt play because i had finish far cry 4? i promised to buy on sale but never got to do it. definitely would play some day. and if its like far cry 4 or even 3 you are in for a treat. fun games

yurqqa

I bought SMT III for PS2 when it came out.
I knew the series from the fan-translated SNES games I've played on my PC.

And the sellet told me: "Oh yeah. It's the next installment of Persona".
That day I learned about Persona games.

Although at that time Persona was some obscure japanese game and nowhere near AAA (I think even Persona 5 is still AA+ game).

Spitfire098

280606-remember-me-windows-front-cover.jpg

dibella360

Banned
When I was around 10, I wanted a PS2 for Christmas. We head to the store (Toys R US) and they were out of stock. They only have a single Xbox left. So we got that .... my parents said I could get 2 games. I run to the games on display and instantly got Sherk (I was a kid). I couldn't decide on the second game so grabbed the one with the coolest cover.

That unknown game was a game called Halo.

Pidull

Chrono Trigger when I discovered it in 2002 as a recommendation for something similar to Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior.

I was just as shocked as the Nazis when they opened the Ark of the Covenant.

bellome

When I was around 10, I wanted a PS2 for Christmas. We head to the store (Toys R US) and they were out of stock. They only have a single Xbox left. So we got that .... my parents said I could get 2 games. I run to the games on display and instantly got Sherk (I was a kid). I couldn't decide on the second game so grabbed the one with the coolest cover.

That unknown game was a game called Halo.

I have a similar story.

When I was a kid I asked my parents for a Sega Master System, they did'n find it and they ended up buying me a NES with Mario Bros.

It still works ❤️

K' Dash

bought Twin Snakes cause I went to buy Rogue Squadron and it was out of stock, as a Nintendo guy this was my first interaction with Metal Gear, after that I fell in love with the IP.

I stumbled across the AAA game Portal. It was just sitting on the same orange disk that I bought for something else I can't remember the name of it off hand......

LRKD

I didn't know about Dragon's Dogma until like 2015, there was buy 2 get 1 free sale at gamestop. I already had 2 games in mind before getting there, but wasn't really sure what to get for a 3rd game. I was browsing through the shelfs for a good 10 minutes and couldn't find a game that interested me, then I saw it in the like cheap game bin where they usually only trash, or really old games from console launch. I had never heard of the game before, and had now clue what I was in for, but I thought a medieval fantasy game might be a fun break from a lot of the other games I had been playing on my Xbox. I expected it to be a really shitty game tbh, since I never heard of it. I figured that it didn't matter if it was trash, since it was 'free' with the other two games.

5RhZa4f.jpg

A few months later after beating the game a couple times, I went back to gamestop so I could buy the Dark Arisen re-release.

It's been one of my favorite games of all time since then, I've completed all the Achievements/Trophies on Xbox 360, PS4 and Steam releases. Someday I'll probably complete all the trophies all over again on the PS3 and Switch versions lol. I miss DDO so much, and DD2 can't release soon enough...

Mistake

Before the internet I didn’t know what the hell to get. A complete shot in the dark with nes and genesis. It wasn’t until N64 that I started choosing titles I recognized like zelda and mario. I’m quite lucky I got to play everything I did, despite not knowing at the time

Last edited:

Tschumi

I don't know if this quite works, but i first played doom, Wolfenstein 3d and a bunch of other classic shooters on a compilation floppy disc in a friend's basement in like 2002.. didn't really realise i was playing history...

.. fun fact, of all those games my favourite was probably Rise of the Triad. Doom held its own though, i played it with some interest despite not totally knowing what a big deal it was.

Secondary fact: hexen was not one of these titles, i first played That a few years earlier and it was probably the first "scary" game i so categorised.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

You been living in a cave?

Top Bottom