• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

have games become more than just games for you ?

samoilaaa

all of us were kids and at that time we didnt care about complex characters , with great story , good level design etc.

we knew that we had a level to beat and then beat the next one until the game is over

but now going through levels isnt enough for most gamers( unless you are a souls games fan ) , some play it for an emotional story , some play it for the challenge , some play it for the sense of achievement when they finish the game ( doesnt matter if a hard or easy game ) , some play because it stimulates their imagination it takes them to another world , and unfortunately some play because the real world is too hurtful for them and games are the only place where they can escape

i play games because games have better stories than movies these days , i still am a very huge movie fan but we only get 2-3 movies per year with a great story

whats your reason for playing games ? do games have a higher purpose for you than when you were a kid ?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I just want to be entertained and have a fun experience.

Story is important and all that but I ultimately just want to enjoy myself while playing a game, it's a way for me to unwind, like zen meditation almost. The moment I feel like I'm forcing myself to play something, I dip out and move onto something else. I avoid a lot of games because of past entries that I didn't care for: Uncharted, TLOU, Sucker Punch games in general, GOW, etc. Basically 90% of Sony 1st party games. I'm probably doing myself a disservice but I generally know what I enjoy and mainly stick to it.

I feel guilty enough sitting in the basement away from my wife and dogs so I at least want to be enjoying myself. I never game for the sake of gaming. FOMO ain't shit to me.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Yes, I feel like Lego Journey is a direct replication of my life, like, it’s mapped out for me. I just need to select the right bricks for my onward destination, what is waiting for me I don’t quite know but I hope it’s something good…
s4Ks9Md.jpg

Last edited:

Kupfer

There was a time when ARMA II, ARMA III, DayZ Mod and DayZ SA became more than just games, but something like a social network for me. Everytime I came home from work there where people me and a friend met online on TeamSpeak. We had a lot of fun talks, lot of laughs, knew each other, playing together was always more like an interactive chatroom than serious or competitive play.

I think these where, besides childhood gaming memories, my favourite 2 or 3 years of online gaming and I will always keep these great memories in mind.

Last edited:

Arthimura

For me it's just a hobby.

Nowadays I play less than I used to play when I was a kid or teenager, but I got more productive at doing it, so I'm able to finish quite a amount of games. Besides that, nowadays we have more access to information, there's aways some news, trailers, discussions and industry insights, so it's a wider hobby now.

I enjoy good stories but ultimately I care for the gameplay the most.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me gaming is no different than watching movies and listen to music, they are entertainment, nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom