• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has the MCU become just a cameo game

RCU005

I think Phase 4 of the MCU has been good, but it's been all over the place since they are introducing the Multiverse and it comes with many characters whether new or old, or new old or old new. The movies and series from Disney+ have been good so far. I don't believe there's been something considered bad or a failure, not even The Eternals.

With that said, since Marvel practically has a blank canvas with every movie, they are focusing too much on cameos, and I feel like they have noticed the people are much more excited about them than the movies themselves.

Of course we have the most important one, the Spider-Men. People flooded the cinemas to watch the cameos, not the movie.

Then, Doctor Strange is about to release, and of course people are already hyping the cameos (which is so weird that Marvel just spoiled practically the entire movie BEFORE release, they usually do that at least a week after release).

There could be average movies, or bad episodes, but a cameo just remeems them by default according to fans. I could bet you could have the worst movie ever, but if there's a good cameo (even if it's for the post-credit) they will call it a great movie.

I just think it's funny, because now Marvel knows that the only thing they need to do is put a cameo and people will love it.

In that regard:
What is your favorite cameo from the MCU?
What character you want to see the most that even a cameo of it would make you excited about the MCU future?

jimmypython

yeah seems like a trend. that's why I preferred Eternals, Shang Chi and Moon Knight - no baggages.

Captain America movies had so much potential to just focus on the Cap but instead were too focused on setting up other things...

Last edited:

DanteFox

I agree. I think every marvel movie from now on will have a character in it from another movie. I actually like the different character pairings but it's clearly a crutch for them.

Fbh

Disney like everyone has realized that known properties, cameos and nostalgia sell more than anything else.

Generally I'm fine with it, I think having more crossover in the movies is a good thing. Like having Wanda in the new Dr Strange or Guardians of the Galaxy in the new Thor, it's fun and it further makes it feel like this big interconnected cinematic universe.

The problem is when the quality starts to slip and the cameos become the only selling point. Like Spiderman No way Home which IMO in the long run will be the worst thing to happen to the MCU. Mediocre movie that goes on to make a ton of movie because cameos.

I like cameos…
Same here. When a cameo doesn't happen people usually ask 'where were ______ while this was happening in New York?'

They should have blown it up and done a fresh reboot at that point
A part of me agrees, but a part of me also dislikes that DC keeps doing this and never shows their other heroes aside from the big 2(Batman and Superman). I applaud Marvel for at least trying to branch out and bring their lesser known franchises to the spotlight. DC is so afraid they won't even attempt Batman Beyond, which is literally an easy concept to work on now that some of the previous Batman actors are old enough to play that version of Bruce Wayne. I feel like it will be another 10-20 years before a Batman Beyond project finally has a hint or rumor of a greenlit project in the works.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Same here. When a cameo doesn't happen people usually ask 'where were ______ while this was happening in New York?'

A part of me agrees, but a part of me also dislikes that DC keeps doing this and never shows their other heroes aside from the big 2(Batman and Superman). I applaud Marvel for at least trying to branch out and bring their lesser known franchises to the spotlight. DC is so afraid they won't even attempt Batman Beyond, which is literally an easy concept to work on now that some of the previous Batman actors are old enough to play that version of Bruce Wayne. I feel like it will be another 10-20 years before a Batman Beyond project finally has a hint or rumor of a greenlit project in the works.

DC didnt earn it so its slightly different there.

DKehoe

Gold Member
I remember with Wandavision so much of the speculation around the show revolved around which characters people thought might pop up. It wasn't what the characters have been following might do but if Mephisto/Mr Fantastic/Dr Strange etc. might show up.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Mcu ended for me personally at Thanos pt 2 whatever it was called. End game? Anyways the last one.

They should have blown it up and done a fresh reboot at that point

On the one hand you're probably right. On the other, it seems like a waste to throw away all that world building.

I think things will start to feel more Marvel-ly again once the next Doctor Strange movie lands.

Max_Po

Banned
For me, the whole Marvel Universe ended with End Game.

I feel that the story I was invested in was complete.

Watched the new Spidey movie... which is awesome...

Doom85

Spider-man: No Way Home‘s only “cameo” was Matt Murdock. All the other characters were significant players in the plot, thus they shouldn’t be seen as mere cameos and fanservice.

sol_bad

What do people mean by it "seems like a trend"? It's just 2 movies, 2 movies that have been planned to tie in together.

Black Widow, Shang Chi and Eternals didn't have cameos.

DeceptiveAlarm DeceptiveAlarm and DGrayson DGrayson What would be the point of a reboot? You really want them to rehash Cap, Thor and Iron Man again?

Last edited:

Yoboman

The problem is their quantity over quality approach

We didn't need a series or movie for every single hero in earlier phases so nor sure why we do now

Doom85

What do people mean by it "seems like a trend"? It's just 2 movies, 2 movies that have been planned to tie in together.

Well, Wong was in Shang-Chi. But regardless, OP saying people love films only for cameos doesn’t feel fair. When people talk about things they liked about Shang-Chi, no one mentions Wong. Nothing against him but he’s only in three scenes.

sol_bad

Well, Wong was in Shang-Chi. But regardless, OP saying people love films only for cameos doesn’t feel fair. When people talk about things they liked about Shang-Chi, no one mentions Wong. Nothing against him but he’s only in three scenes.

OK this is true, he is a glorified cameo in Shang Chi. But even in that film they show that there is a purpose to him being there. So we know that Wong was in the same place as Shang Chi, Wong probably took notice of him at that point, hence the credit scene makes sense and sets up a future plot point for the MCU.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member

DeceptiveAlarm DeceptiveAlarm and DGrayson DGrayson What would be the point of a reboot? You really want them to rehash Cap, Thor and Iron Man again?
Tbh I don't know what I want them to do. I just feel burnt out and would like a different take. I really enjoyed Iron man and captain when they first came out. Same with first avengers. I just don't get excited for new releases now.

Last edited:
I don't have much interest in the MCU right now. It doesn't seem like they intend to do anything stylish or interesting (can't say that I blame them from an accountant's perspective).

This weekend I rewatched V for Vendetta, and it's so far beyond what the MCU would even want to accomplish at this point.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

yeah seems like a trend. that's why I preferred Eternals, Shang Chi and Moon Knight - no baggages.

Captain America movies had so much potential to just focus on the Cap but instead were too focused on setting up other things...
First Avenger and Winter Soldier are really the only true Cap movies...Civil War is basically Avengers 2.5 and I love it but its not a Cap movie. I kind of prefer their old way of doing it where the focus was on a solo story with cameos and little reveals on the meta story in the after credits segments.

Top Bottom