• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Sony's marketing of Deathloop done more harm than good?

How has Deathloop's marketing impacted you?

• I was always going to buy it

Votes: 41 11.3%
  • I was never going to buy it

Votes: 181 50.0%
  • the marketing made me consider buying the game

Votes: 38 10.5%
  • the marketing has put me off buying the game

Votes: 102 28.2%

• Total voters

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
It'll be on there at some point. This isnt the type of game I'd buy, but I'll give it a test drive on GP for kicks.
I'm torn between my love for Arkane, my disinterest in a roguelikes, my desire for something new to play, the ridiculous PC system specs (I'm good with everything but the CPU), and not really wanting to buy it on PS5 where it might run like shit.

Plus, the marketing hasn't really made it very clear what it even is.

R6Rider

Gold Member
One of my top games I've been looking forward too this year. Going to be lots of fun with a friend too.

martino

Multiplayer aspect in it is big no no for me
But my god people not buying a game because studio is now own by competition....i've seen child more mature.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
People were overly interested in it a few weeks ago.

What happened?

Edit: ah, multiplayer. Gaffers worst nightmare, being social

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Arkane games always flop. They're lucky they received Sony's money to even make it. Biggest marketing ever for Arkane. It's everywhere on the PSN store since last year. I even received a notification from the PS App after the showcase. Sony really went beyond with this game.

MS must be proud to have a great partner like this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Arkane games always flop. They're lucky they received Sony's money to even make it. Biggest marketing ever for Arkane. It's everywhere on the PSN store since last year. I even received a notification from the PS App after the showcase. Sony really went beyond with this game.

MS must be proud to have a great partner like this.
This studio makes games that have more of a cult following than mainstream appeal. So you'll get some hype, but when it releases and sales are tracked the game pales in comparison to other franchises.

Reminds me of games like Prey, Oddworld, Beyond Good & Evil, Perfect Dark. You always get some talk and people loving a sequel. But when a game actually launches nobody really cares.

The marketing didnt hurt it. Finding out its a roguelike hurt it.
SYGGrRJ.gif

Kerotan

That’s on them though. I am gonna spend a 100$ Canadian on a game I am getting for free in 6 months or whatever . It doesn’t even look like a game I wanna spend 30$ on it too either .
It’s like one of those games you see on game pass and you try for few hours before you get bored and delete it to save space.
Doesn’t look fun at all I am not even sure why I am in this thread lol.
I am out lol
"It’s like one of those games you see on game pass and you try for few hours before you get bored and delete it to save space."

And that's why sub services like GP and PS NOW will never be for me.

elliot5

People receiving early copies of the game are speaking highly of it.
From Reddit:
So I’ve been playing it for roughly 4 hours give or take and I’ve been having an absolute blast. It’s far better than I was expecting it to be. Like I mentioned, I was very skeptical from the trailers and such but I have been so pleasantly surprised by the actual game itself. The death mechanic is not a gimmick nor is it frequent like in most roguelike games. It all depends on how good you are I suppose. You get a trinket that allows you two extra lives anyway so you technically have three chances before you loop. I haven’t looped yet. I’ve lost 1-2 lives here and there but learned from it and finished the levels.

I know you all know nothing about my gaming preferences but I highly recommend it if you were on the fence. I am liking it better than Dishonored games so far and it has a very Quentin Tarantino vibe to it in a way. Graphics, gameplay, voice acting, writing, and style are superb.

Hearing similar things across different channels to people that managed to get copies early. Gets me excited, but not $60 excited given I'll still be on GP when it comes out next year and am too busy anyway. If you have a PS5 and are on the fence though it sounds worth it.

Last edited:
They better market it to try and make back the money from getting a cut of the sale of the game cause they the ones that paid Arkane money up front for the time exclusive so even if the game don't sell well Arkane still get their money from sony.

Shubh_C63

Mechanically this game is going to be sound, its Arkane.
I know a shiny coat of paint is not everything but its something. and in this case the game really needs it.

I dislike this game, maybe due to the hip edgy trailer they opted to went with.

DonJorginho

Banned
The overmarketing has been annoying but hasn't affected my purchase. I however understand anyone who's been turned off as a result.

I have had it pre-ordered since the previews, Arkane have never let me down and are for me one of the most consistently genius developers right now.

This is Dishonored meets Tarantino which is an instant purchase for me, I can't wait to play it on Tuesday!

Fredrik

I really believe they're pushing it hard because it's really the only "big" PS5 exclusive this holiday with Horizon delayed.
Problem is, with Bethesda being aquired by MS it has soured many of the loudest Sony fans on anything from Bethesda, even devs they liked before and even exclusives. And Xbox fans is left outside in the rain. So PR doesn’t work as intended anymore, it’s just annoying salt, if it turns out the game is actually great it’ll suck for PS gamers to know you can’t play a sequel and it’ll suck for Xbox gamers who can’t play it. The IP is just in a really bad spot.

I like the idea of the game. It’s like a retro game. Or 12 Minutes. Or the Edge of Tomorrow movie. But I don’t like first person shooters so 🤷‍♂️

You can die up to 3 times and 1 day split into 4 parts, part of day is very relevant to the objectives,
What's the ingame justification for letting you die up to three times and what happens when you die more than thrice?

Thanks for the rest of the impressions by the way!

balt1kr1s

Ok played more last evening and a little bit of a night. Total of 7 hours.

I’m genuinely blown away in a positive way.
It is an Arkane game like I stated previously, combat, animations, skills are feeling at home but for those who think this is just another Dishonored then you are in a big surprise.
This is no doubt roguelike game but with AAA quality and highly detailed world with super cool locations and quite unique progression system.
Every single weapon, trinket or slab (equivalent of a container with special skill) can be permanently saved by using special “glitched” items (as a form of currency) scattered around the world - also killing one of the 8 “visionaries” or Julianna who tried to hunts you down gives you this.
All equipment is randomised as you can image with the exceptions, One of the 8 visionaries drops specific unique weapon with their own unique perks, so there is some guaranteed loot that you can get which is really cool and somewhat missed in today’s games with RPG elements.
For example, one of them drops hand cannon that can either leave cloud of poison that can be fired up to explode or with special marking system so enemy takes more damage. She also leaves skill from Dishonored 2 that makes enemies to share their damage and die at once together but if you kill her again you will get one of the upgrades for it.

There are also A LOT of nuances related to loops, days And their 4 parts, far too many to write down and probably better to experience yourself.

Graphics are great, 60 FPS are holding up very well for 99% of time - I had two very short frame drops and game glitched once so I had to restart it in order to progress. So not bad for 7 hours.

I will repeat it again, dualsense does wonders, shooting feels amazing because of it, you ever loved to shoot hand canon in Destiny? You are for a treat then.

Honestly? If this gets mediocre reviews I’m losing all the hope for this industry moving past bloated shit like AC Valhalla because Deathloop is just a breath of fresh air in this otherwise stale AAA world of video games.

Loving it.

Forgot to mention - if you like Tarantino movies, this is your game.

Last edited:

balt1kr1s

What's the ingame justification for letting you die up to three times and what happens when you die more than thrice?

Thanks for the rest of the impressions by the way!
With no spoilers, you gain a special power that allows you to die three time within one part of the day. (Which makes a lot sense story wise and is not something forced at all).

If you die too many times? You end the loop and start from the beginning(except all items and skills saved with profression system).

With no spoilers, you gain a special power that allows you to die three time within one part of the day. (Which makes a lot sense story wise and is not something forced at all).

If you die too many times? You end the loop and start from the beginning(except all items and skills saved with profression system).
Is Reprise the power you're talking about?

Good to hear that it makes sense in the story.

Thanks for the answers and I'm enjoying your thoughts on the game, cheers.

elliot5

They've shoved it down our throats for years explaining it... and I still don't understand it
Probably because explaining it too much with footage would spoil it. It is practically a puzzle game where you must go through the 4 times of day throughout the 4 districts (one time of day per district) and gather clues on when visionaries are doing what. Then when you restart loops you can choose to tackle things differently to try and get all 8 killed in a single loop.

There's apparently plenty of guidance and note taking and objective markers for you so it's not like you have to remember everything at all times

drotahorror

The very first trailer I saw when it was revealed had me interested but the more I saw, the less interested I was. I dunno, I like arkane FPS's, I like roguelikes but this doesn't look good to me.

Still want to check it out but not at full price.

NahaNago

It might of hurt the marketing for those who are more hardcore gamers who watch every single gaming show and has as a result become numb to the game.

The game thankfully has solid reviews and the vast majority of gamers have probably only seen one or 2 trailers of this game so probably aren't burnt out on the game.

Has the game been marketed outside of gaming shows?

Top Bottom