• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has someone invented middle-out compression yet?

RPS37

It still looks like these new consoles are not going to have nearly enough space.
Modern Warfare is someone around 200GB, I’m in the middle of updating Apex with a 40GB patch, and Flight Simulator just came out with somewhere around 150GB.

I’m drowning in gigs and see no hope in sight.
I don’t see a viable solution I deleting and redownloading games all the time when my connection tops out at about 20Mb/s.

What do you guys think about all of this? Where’s middle out?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The SSD’s will save us!

EZp-FBLWsAEOaj3

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's a fantastic talk by an Insomniac developer on how they solved streaming assets for Spiderman. Look it up on YT.
Thank you, I will. I knew duplication was a thing, but I didn't realise it accounted for that much of the install size.

Could the current gen be the last of 200GB COD for a long time?

Thank you, I will. I knew duplication was a thing, but I didn't realise it accounted for that much of the install size.

Could the current gen be the last of 200GB COD for a long time?
Or will the ability to stream large volumes of data encourage the use of bigger, better assets?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have to make do with 3 MB/s, so consider yourself lucky.
3MB or 3Mb/s that McFiber company is not for you there? You know Fiber 1Gb/s, for 700CZK/month. Cause I've been told that they are in 20km raidus around here (they are based in Brandys)...

mcz117chief

3MB or 3Mb/s that McFiber company is not for you there? You know Fiber 1Gb/s, for 700CZK/month. Cause I've been told that they are in 20km raidus around here (they are based in Brandys)...
30 mbs so I download at around 3 MB. I don't really care lol I am moving out soon.

The Shepard

It still looks like these new consoles are not going to have nearly enough space.

Buy an external hdd and put any games not in use on there, there pretty cheap these days. Space will be an issue otherwise yes.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Modern Warfare is someone around 200GB, I’m in the middle of updating Apex with a 40GB patch, and Flight Simulator just came out with somewhere around 150GB.

I’m drowning in gigs and see no hope in sight.
I don’t see a viable solution I deleting and redownloading games all the time when my connection tops out at about 20Mb/s.

What do you guys think about all of this? Where’s middle out?
Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain "middle-out compression". Not a term I have heard before.

bargeparty

We're talking about games locally stored data and their need for higher and higher storage capacities.
Reinstalling games all the time is not an ideal solution.

Of course it is. The OP specifically calls out "redownloading" and internet speeds so unless he's explaining himself completely wrong...

Everything gets installed locally, even today with physical media. You put the disc in and it installs the game to the HDD.

Having a physical disc and popping it in, will install the game in minutes, especially with SSD. So yes, if you cannot re-download games "quickly" then you can stick with physical media and swap out games as needed.

Not to mention these consoles will have expandable storage, just like the current gen.

You don't need 20 games installed all the time.

You guys like to make up problems or something I can't figure this out.

Last edited:

chaseroni

Of course it is. The OP specifically calls out "redownloading" and internet speeds so unless he's explaining himself completely wrong...
Nah OP is specifically calling out the lack of good compression and decompression in modern games with regard to file size.

Or maybe you fail to see the problem with games like COD taking up 200gbs
There are better ways, no need to be archaic with discs.

CuNi

Everything gets installed locally, even today with physical media. You put the disc in and it installs the game to the HDD.

Having a physical disc and popping it in, will install the game in minutes, especially with SSD. So yes, if you cannot re-download games "quickly" then you can stick with physical media and swap out games as needed.

Not to mention these consoles will have expandable storage, just like the current gen.

You don't need 20 games installed all the time.

Also, with games like cod warzone, your disc might install 89gb and then you need to download probably around 200gb anyway because of updates and content patches that came after release and you end up needing just as long as fully downloading from the beginning.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Having a physical disc and popping it in, will install the game in minutes, especially with SSD.

Holy crap what sort of quantum disc drive is the PS5 going to have to allow for this? Will the disc break the sound barrier with its RPM?

Joking aside as games get bigger even with physical media they will take longer to install unless they drastically improve disc drives, potentially once SSD becomes even cheaper than it is now we could see Switch style cartridges on a playstation.

bargeparty

Nah OP is specifically calling out the lack of good compression and decompression in modern games with regard to file size.

Or maybe you fail to see the problem with games like COD taking up 200gbs
There are better ways, no need to be archaic with discs.

OP is calling out a few different things, all which sort of relate to each other.

What better way is there? How do you get around downloading a 50GB game at 2MB?

You can get around long download times by using a disc because most games don't have ridiculous patch sizes. If the dev pushing 200GB patches all the time you can't get around that when you have shit internet.

Also, with games like cod warzone, your disc might install 89gb and then you need to download probably around 200gb anyway because of updates and content patches that came after release and you end up needing just as long as fully downloading from the beginning.

There are a small number of games reaching such sizes. Could it increase with next-gen, sure. But we also have some tech to help out. It's not PS's fault that COD is garbage.

Holy crap what sort of quantum disc drive is the PS5 going to have to allow for this? Will the disc break the sound barrier with its RPM?

Joking aside as games get bigger even with physical media they will take longer to install unless they drastically improve disc drives, potentially once SSD becomes even cheaper than it is now we could see Switch style cartridges on a playstation.

Look up the current blu-ray drive speeds, it's really not that bad and coupled with better compression and a much faster system architecture, I can't see installing games from disc taking that long.

Last edited:
Top Bottom