• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo given up on AAA gaming?

I hold Nintendo in higher regard than that. They are the king of game design and are primarily responsible for games being an art form. If Nintendo has turned into Netflix where they just wnt to churn out "content" for the masses to consume then i will be devastated as a life long gamer.
Agree with this, 100% but also, I'd like to play more than 1 new game out of 10 - the other all being fucking remasters - on one of the best, if not THE best, portable console ever

Damn, even WiiU had more stuff

I'd pay anything to have Switch with a first and third party gamecube like support,m

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
The way I look at it while everyone else is worried about ray traced horse balls Nintendo is making video games.

Nintendo Busy making games
Games released by Nintendo in 2020
1) Animal Crossing

Sony worried about Ray traced horse balls
Games released by Sony in 2020
1) The Last of Us 2
2) Ghost Of Tsushima
3) Miles Morales
4) Demon's Soul Remake
5) Dreams (added in this entry thanks to isorhythm's reminder)

Last edited:

Camreezie

It's becoming more and more noticeable as times goes on isn't it.

This is why the constant threads about Switch sales pisses me off. Who cares?

Praising Nintendo on how much Switches they sold seem to be thrown in people's faces like some sort of validation for their fans who by the same token are been starved of NEW games for the system that's still outselling ps5 and Xbox series X as well as the PS4 and Xbox one. How is this happening?

When Nintendo become this successful.. they kinda just stop trying.

They haven't forgotten about AAA gaming, they're holding them back until the launch of their Switch 2 which will have 2 years of top tier games and then the Mario Sports titles, gimmicky Yoshi's games and basically the C-tier games for the rest of its life.
This is legitimately what they do every single time. They start off with a bang and then trail off in the later years. Then they release another Kirby games as the death of the console comes close

Matsuchezz

This has been the case since gamecube. Nintendo left AAA gaming for good. Their last AAA game was probably a RARE game. They are disconnected from the rest of the industry. They earn a lot of money they wont bother spending more money on production values. Their current gane lineup makes a lot of money. There is no director within nintendo that wants to achieve this. I wonder what will happen when miyamoto retires or dies.

Jaruru

1) Animal Crossing

1) The Last of Us 2
2) Ghost Of Tsushima
3) Miles Morales
4) Demon's Soul Remake
Did sony develop those games?

Kev Kev

I am going to put this in the most delicate manner possible so as to not turn this into a console w-
war GIF

Last edited:

Clarissa

Banned
Did sony develop those games?
1) Last Of Us 2 - Naughty Dog (Owned by Sony)
2) Ghost of Tsushima - Sucker Punch (Owned by Sony)
3) Miles Morales - Insomniac Games (Owned by Sony)
4) Demon's Souls Remake - Bluepoint Games + Studio Japan (Owned by Sony)
5) Dreams - Media Molecule. (Owned by Sony) thanks to I isoRhythm for the reminder.

So yes. All developed by Sony.

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
1) Animal Crossing

1) The Last of Us 2
2) Ghost Of Tsushima
3) Miles Morales
4) Demon's Soul Remake

You forgot about Dreams :messenger_crying:

It's got some really good content now but barely any players. They should make viewing content free on it and port it to PC to ensure it stays alive.

Is it really true that Nintendo that will give up on AAA gaming? I do hope that they will not give up on it. One of the reasons why they planning to give up on it is because it requires a huge amount of money and high technology equipment. Well, the only thing we could do now is to hope for the best and also for Nintendo to release more exciting games. On the other hand, I also noticed that Ubisoft has a lot of exciting and interesting games that you will probably want to play for hours.

oagboghi2

AAA is mostly an indication of budget, and high tech graphics are a big part of that. Rise doesn't seem to fit that definition. World, yes, that'd probably fit an AAA game. Rise, nah.
It's this type of stupid shit that makes these AAA or AA arguments a waste of time.

Just say what is really boils down not quality or budget, but just high graphics

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The lack of AAA games is likely due to Covid-19. Many (possibly most) Japanese do not have home computers. My understanding is that working remotely with a VPN was, prior to COVID, a completely foreign concept to the Japanese. Nintendo was probably completely unprepared for software development outside of the company office. Covid likely set them way back.

Source: My Japanese girlfriend.
It's weird because I would have been envious of Japanese work culture prior to Covid-19. In the US we had VPNs to enable remote work while on travel and for people to get stuff done after normal work hours from home. It made the transition to WFH relatively painless once capacity was increased, but we paid the price years ago by agreeing to constantly be tethered to the company's network with mobile devices and laptops. Maybe Covid will lead to Nintendo's developers putting in more hours from home so we see better output on their consoles. NOT. They make enough to the minimum and will continue to do that.

Hezekiah

Banned
Let's put it in another way?
Why should they invest their time and resources in AAA games when:

-They just upgrade the resolution of WiiU games, relaunch them for full price and they sell like crazy.
-They put roms of 3 old games in 1 cardtidge, sell them for full price as a limited product, and they sell like crazy.

We are talking about a company that still considers this is the "voice chat" their consumers deserve:
2290104_0.jpg

They don't care about videogames anymore, only about selling their system and filling it in the fastest way possible (via remasters and ports of WiiU games).

2021, still no news about Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, or BOTW2. They are the Smoke sellers.
Yes but if you look at the sales threads, some Nintendo fans like it this way. Easy shit and smile 😛.

1) Animal Crossing

1) The Last of Us 2
2) Ghost Of Tsushima
3) Miles Morales
4) Demon's Soul Remake
5) Dreams (added in this entry thanks to isorhythm's reminder)

I didn't specifically mention Sony, no need to jump to their defense.

It's like walking on eggshells in this place.

AMSCD

It's weird because I would have been envious of Japanese work culture prior to Covid-19. In the US we had VPNs to enable remote work while on travel and for people to get stuff done after normal work hours from home. It made the transition to WFH relatively painless once capacity was increased, but we paid the price years ago by agreeing to constantly be tethered to the company's network with mobile devices and laptops. Maybe Covid will lead to Nintendo's developers putting in more hours from home so we see better output on their consoles. NOT. They make enough to the minimum and will continue to do that.
Don't be too envious. In Japanese work culture you don't go home until the boss does, which means that you often sit in your office for hours in the evening doing nothing while waiting for the boss to leave.

Top Bottom