• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Nintendo given up on AAA gaming?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Kinda got the feeling that Nintendo got hit hard by COVID delays since their biggest sellers are often games from 2017.

I'm also speculating that Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 are taking way longer to make than anticipated.

Ten_Fold

You want those western walk, stop, walk stop, walk, cutscene, limited combat type of game? Or boring open world games with a ton of shit to do that’s just meh?

Nintendo is gameplay first, they make games with unique design that sells millions and NEVER really drop in price. Those AAA games will be like $20-30 in 6-7 months after release.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think their going with the Switch, a 720/1080p console, in 2017 can be interpreted as them definitely not chasing the AAA market. If publishers want to bring those products to the Switch at vastly reduced resolution and performance Nintendo seems eager to suit them, however.

Nintendo currently belongs with the other 2 big names.
Those names are iOS and Android.
If we are to say AAA then it needs to be paired with AAA(mobile).
Mobile is a sea of Z games. ZZZ being the absolute bottom of the garbage bin.
But every once in a while something floats to the top. 1 percent of 1 percent of 1/2 of a percent.
iOS Android Nintendo. Have to put on rubber boots before diving into these stores. Yuck

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I have to disagree. I think Rise for its system the Switch is a great looking good and a great looking game in general that looks and feels like a mainline game in every way.

In a lot of ways it looks better than world. It's a AAA game. Plus it'll get released on the PC in the future according to the Capcom leak so you know they're aiming for a big time game here even if you don't think the Switch is worth it.

Sure man. Think what you want if it makes you feel better 😂

It's funny that some people think that "AAA game" simply means "I like the way it looks" 😂

Also Nintendo Fans - Omg I can't wait a switch pro. 4k graphics!! Omg BOTW 2 looks so great this is a triple A game!!! Game of the CENTURY!!! SUCK IT SONY FANBOYS!!!!!!!

Well, Breath of the Wild 2, like Breath of the Wild, likely is high budget enough to classify it as an AAA game.

Last edited:
The Switch will be entering its 5th year next month.
Next month it'll turn 4 years old, unless you're the type who rounds up once something ages a day over its anniversary.

Edit: Okay, looking back at it, your wording is correct, so don't mind me. I do prefer to view it as "turning 4 years old" instead of "entering its 5th year".

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
LMAO seems like many really believes those absurly good lists (Mother 3, MP4, new F-Zero, new Wave Race, etc.) cause the hangover is getting serious around here lmao.

BTW, Nintendo is not a AAA dev for the most part, their games are good, but that doesn't mean they are 100 M projects.

NahaNago

Nintendo has been this way for awhile. Expecting them to make AAA games nowadays is just silly. It's weird cause I honestly wish that Sony and Microsoft would make more games like Nintendo and I wish Nintendo would make a couple of games like Sony and Microsoft. Just 1 or 2 AAA games a gen from Nintendo honestly would probably sate the Nintendo community.

Clarissa

Banned
Well, Breath of the Wild 2, like Breath of the Wild, likely is high budget enough to classify it as an AAA game.
That's why I cited BOTW 2 as an example. It is a Triple A game.
So despite Nintendo fans saying they aren't interested in triple A games, they actually are.

Someone I know hates open world games but because of Botw, now loves open world games (Only BOTW though, he still hates a other open world games especially the PlayStation exclusive ones)

_Ex_

Why make a AAA game when u can just port an old game, charge full price and sell 20 million copies?

index.jpg

R6Rider

Gold Member
The people in here claiming that most PlayStation and Xbox AAA titles are "walking and talking simulators" are very similar to the people who claim all Ubisoft games are the same.

Both are full of shit.

Well, they didn’t announce any 3rd person walking simulators, with protagonists that talk to themselves every 20 seconds, if that’s what you mean.

Thank god.
Enjoy Mario golf, 60$ dollar remaster with no effort and splatoon ripp-off. Nintendo AAA games are "deceparacidos" That's what he's talking about.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That's why I cited BOTW 2 as an example. It is a Triple A game.
So despite Nintendo fans saying they aren't interested in triple A games, they actually are.

Someone I know hates open world games but because of Botw, now loves open world games (Only BOTW though, he still hates a other open world games especially the PlayStation exclusive ones)

Oh yeah. The usual Nintendo fan will love whatever Nintendo makes and hate whatever Nintendo doesn't make... until they make it 😂

Nintendo just cares about profits. Not like a matters. They gimp on pokemon games they sell the same regardless. Hell Im a switch hater. Guess what I just bought my 4th switch. Mario Edition. Giving one to my little cousin.

If Sony made an announcement of game 5 years ago like Zelda, bayo 3 and shin megami tensei, it would be torn a part. I'm disappointed by the the lack of information and Nintendo 0 effort in gaming. I want those games very bad.

turtlepowa

Banned
If Sony made an announcement of game 5 years ago like Zelda, bayo 3 and shin megami tensei, it would be torn a part. I'm disappointed by the the lack of information and Nintendo 0 effort in gaming. I want those games very bad.
Nothing Sony does gets torn apart. I think you meant Microsoft.

Marvel14

Banned
Here's an unpopular opinion i bet:

Nintendo front loaded lots of AAA games at the beginning of Switch's life...learning the lesson from Wii U. In its first 4 years: Zelda, Mario, Luigi, Smash, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Pokemon, Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Kirby, Mario Kart circuit, new IPs Arms, Astral Chain, Mario+Rabbids,

I am probably missing some but that's more than 3 per year which is not too shabby.

Metroid, Pikmin, Kid Icarus and a few other IPs are still to show up though.

Suspect we will get a few more in the next year or 2 but some of the big tentpoles may be held back for the next hardware launch which might be as early as next year.

I hold Nintendo in higher regard than that. They are the king of game design and are primarily responsible for games being an art form. If Nintendo has turned into Netflix where they just wnt to churn out "content" for the masses to consume then i will be devastated as a life long gamer.
But most of their recent games have been lazy rubbish. They used to be a bastion of quality not this argument doesn't hold anymore.

What are triple A games exactly? The live service shit Ubi, EA, WB spit out every year? Lol

Just a reminder, Nintendo is opening theme parks this year. They arent beholden to any rules ps and Xbox tards think they should follow. Nintendo is beyond a console manufacturer or a game company. They don't need to sell stripped down pcs to get people on board with their products. The question isn't "is Nintendo falling behind Xbox and Sony?" the question is, "are Xbox and Sony even on Nintendos level?" and the answer to that is a hard no.

mcjmetroid

It's funny that some people think that "AAA game" simply means "I like the way it looks" 😂

So.. to you there can be no AAA games for the Switch because it a weaker system?

Super Mario Odyssey is not a AAA game, Breath of the Wild is not a AAA game?

You should be laughing at yourself for such a shit take. I know I am.

Last edited:

royox

I am going to put this in the most delicate manner possible so as to not turn this into a console war. Does Nintendo really care about AAA gaming like Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Take Two, and EA do?

I watched this Direct today and I was quite frankly blown away by almost a complete lack of new AAA games. I think I saw a Monster Hunter spin off, but that was it. Zelda is still not ready, Metroid is still not ready. It's been four years for teasing, and quite frankly if they had anything else during this period, the wait for BOTW 2 wouldnt have been so agonizing.

The Switch will be entering its 5th year next month. If we dont count cross gen games like Zelda, I am struggling to see what other AAA games they have released since. Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Odyssey? I dont even want to go into a debate about whether or not they are AAA, but surely this is simply not good enough for fans who want to have AAA games with that Nintendo magic.

Both Microsoft and Sony are bending over backwards buying studios if not entire publishing companies, signing developers for exclusives, putting millions into bigger AAA first party games, and here we have Nintendo just sitting there making Mario Golf, Splatoon 3, and pretending that it's enough. Looking at sales, it maybe is, but as a gamer I feel like Nintendo has simply given up. They have found their market and that market is making them billions, but that market isnt your average hardcore gamer who visits gaf and plays AAA games.

Let's put it in another way?
Why should they invest their time and resources in AAA games when:

-They just upgrade the resolution of WiiU games, relaunch them for full price and they sell like crazy.
-They put roms of 3 old games in 1 cardtidge, sell them for full price as a limited product, and they sell like crazy.

We are talking about a company that still considers this is the "voice chat" their consumers deserve:
2290104_0.jpg

They don't care about videogames anymore, only about selling their system and filling it in the fastest way possible (via remasters and ports of WiiU games).

2021, still no news about Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, or BOTW2. They are the Smoke sellers.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So.. to you there can be no AAA games for the Switch because it a weaker system?

Super Mario Odyssey is not a AAA game, Breath of the Wild is not a AAA game?

You should be laughing at yourself for such a shit take. I know I am.

Have you read the entirety of the post or you were foaming at the mouth so much at the second line that you didn't get to the end? 😂

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
They don't need games, Switch is selling like crazy. Why waste precious games to support a console selling like this ? They decided to keep the big games to boost a new hardware, and it makes perfect sense.

Is Monster Hunter Rise not considered AAA game? Also Rise considered mainline MH.

This. Also there are lots of great ports from pc and such that work crossplay. Its great being able to play Divinity original sin 2, civ 6, witcher 3 , save and continue on the pc, and vs versa.

I just got outerworlds on sale (wasn't even going to get it but i'm a sucker for sales), and next month got kingdoms of amalar, monster hunter rise, and Mario 3d world just came out. There are games. More than i can say for the PS5 and xbone2. Oh and at least switch is obtainable now, compared to ps5/xsx/pc gpus.

UnNamed

Banned
Animal Crossing is for kids.
Smash Bros please stop.
Mario 3D is a blatant port.
Splatoon 3 is Splatoon 1 reskinned.
Hyrule Warriors have no soul.
Pokemon is for kids Remastered.
Paper Mario I don't like RPG.
Third Party games, nobody buy a Nintendo console for TPG
Indie games are so indie.

Why Nintendo has no games?

Last edited:

greencoder

They have found their market and that market is making them billions, but that market isnt your average hardcore gamer who visits gaf and plays AAA games.

Unrelated to the topic, but your "average hardcore gamer who visits gaf and plays AAA games" plays no more than 10 games a year (even though buys 40+ games) and pretends to be a gaming-guru. If a person plays only AAA games, he is a regular gamer. I don't consider a person to be a hardcore gamer if he doesn't play at least 900 hours a year.

GymWolf

You want those western walk, stop, walk stop, walk, cutscene, limited combat type of game? Or boring open world games with a ton of shit to do that’s just meh?

Nintendo is gameplay first, they make games with unique design that sells millions and NEVER really drop in price. Those AAA games will be like $20-30 in 6-7 months after release.
Waiting for any footage of a game made by nintendo (so no astral chain or monster hunter) with a boss fight as good as the valkirye in gow or the 500 zombie horde in days gone or the 3 polar dinobear in horizon dlc, limited combat while enjoying stuff like zelda, luigi's mansion or really any other nintendo games, shake my fucking head...

GymWolf

Actually all monster Hunter boss battles are better than Valkyrie fights and in my opinion MH series has vastly better combat than GOW 2018. This also true vast majority of boss fights in Astral Chain.
They are not made by nintendo, they are from capcom and platinum and you can find pure action games and monster hunter games outside of nintendo console, did you even readed my post?!

Also, only the major battles in mh against the best monster are better than the valkirie, especially sigrun that has like 20 different moves.

Fucking up creatures like a barroth or the fucking lava shark or another shitload of minor monsters are still not on the level of the valkirye imo.

Preferences on combat are more of a personal taste, but yeah i prefer monster hunter combat myself, but not by a huge margin, gow still has some of the best melee combat from western developer in the past gen.

Last edited:

LMJ

I think you nailed it on the head, to me AAA means higher priority on budget and graphics and I would say Mario Odyssey, BOTW, and the like are clearly AAA in Nintendos case, same with Bowsers Fury (have a feeling that's a taste of the next Mario game AKA open world Mario)

I think something many are forgetting is there is still a ton of time and money put into the big N's games like Animal Crossing or Arms (planning, engine work, testing etc)

Now I think the laziness of the ports is inexcusable, particularly considering how well the Switch is selling so I CAN see the "Nintendo is becoming complacent" concerns

Sony has done that, we waited a looooong time for games from the E3 of dreams (hell last Guardian was a PS3 title at one point) I will say Ninny has been pretty bad lately, though they like everyone do have the whole Wuhan Flu thing to deal with (and a WHOLE theme park to partially run now lol) I jest they have been complacent

But most of their recent games have been lazy rubbish. They used to be a bastion of quality not this argument doesn't hold anymore.

Come on that's simply not true, you can dislike their latest output, but "rubbish" they are not lol

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
sigrun that has like 20 different moves.
Sigrun basically uses moves from other Valkyries with some of her own moves. I personally find fighting monsters in MH much more engaging, especially satisfying when you break body parts. You also have 14 different weapon that can give completely different combat style.

Top Bottom