• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Final Fantasy ever had AAA Jrpg competition since FF6???

I've been looking around but it doesn't seem like Final Fantasy has ever had AAA Jrpg competition for most of the series life. Other than themselves with Kingdom Hearts.

I'm not saying a competitor has to be as wasteful in spending, just a complete AAA package in some form or another.

Most Jrpgs don't really compete with FF and if they do they are usually in a lower category. Others will look AAA but really aren't, or parts might but they cut corners.

It's hard to have complaints addressed and have staff listen to feedback if you don't need to because your the only cop in town.

Even one that tried to compete in the Jrpg AAA space and failed I can't even find. Maybe I'm missing a game and if so let me know. But from what I've been seeing FF has never had REAL AAA Jrpg competition since FF6. Ever

AmuroChan

For me, it didn't need to be a AAA JPRG to compete with FF. FF used to be my favorite franchise of all time, but now it's not even my favorite JRPG series anymore. Persona and Trails have surpassed FF on my list, and neither are AAA. High production values and pretty graphics are great, but at the end of the day the game's gotta be fun to play.

salamanderjuice

Neo Member
Since FF6? Then titles like Star Ocean absolutely give it a run for its money. I mean the damn intro cinematic has voice acting on the Super Famicom. That game is gorgeous for a SF title.

FF7 is still one of the most expensive games ever made costing something like 45 million. But there were some titles that came close on PS1. Legend of the Dragoon was 16 million which is still pretty insane for a PS1 game.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I was one of the few people who thought Persona 1/2 was much better than FF in the late 90s/early 2000s

Everyone laughed at me back then even tho I don't like the latter games as much the fact that Persona is where it is now makes me happy

SkylineRKR

There isn't.

Lost Odyssey was a big game, and had a certain hype behind it but it obviously fell a bit short in terms of production values. I mean it was developed FeelPlus and Blue Dragon by Artoon. LO felt bigger budget than Tales of but not remotely close to FFXIII even though LO is way better. FFXIII had top of the line production values, a themed PS3 console, TV commercials and all.

When strictly speaking JRPG, there simply isn't anything like Final Fantasy. If we talk WRPG, then we have the likes of TES, Witcher which are huge AAA games as well. Bigger than FF, even.

MistBreeze

Im a huge final fantasy fan

but now after playing persona 5 I realized there are more games in Jrpg than final fantasy

this game makes me want to play more jpgs like shin megrim tensei

or tales series

SkylineRKR

Souls is being revered partially because it kind of proved AA still has a very rightful place and not everything needs to go full blockbuster. I don't think you can compare FROM to Naughty Dog when it comes to technology, work force etc. ND is an absolute AAA developer.

Dark Souls? Maybe that could be considered a AAA JRPG. I would buy a DS over a new FF every time now.
It's not competing with FF and it's not a jrpg you know what that term means.

Guy is going to tell you that it isn't AAA.
You know damn well Dark souls isn't a jrpg. Unless your one of those guys revising the definition to geography.

SkylineRKR

AAA doesn't say shit about quality. It means scope of the project, budget etc.

Cyberpunk, CoD, TLOU are the definition of an AAA project. Their development costs go toward or above 100 million. They're aimed at huge ass crowd and probably need to sell 5 million copies on launch week to break even.

FF is really the only franchise fitting this bill. And it strayed from being a pure RPG for a reason. FFVII is an action hybrid. Its also AAA and I think it sold around 8 million by now and I remember people claiming it kind of underperformed. I just can't think of any other JRPG having this kind of development budget, and those kind of sales targets. I think Atlus is happy when a new Persona ships around 3 million copies lifetime.

This is the AAA I'd use.

Last edited:
There isn't.

Lost Odyssey was a big game, and had a certain hype behind it but it obviously fell a bit short in terms of production values. I mean it was developed FeelPlus and Blue Dragon by Artoon. LO felt bigger budget than Tales of but not remotely close to FFXIII even though LO is way better. FFXIII had top of the line production values, a themed PS3 console, TV commercials and all.

When strictly speaking JRPG, there simply isn't anything like Final Fantasy. If we talk WRPG, then we have the likes of TES, Witcher which are huge AAA games as well. Bigger than FF, even.

It's unfortunate but this seems to be the case. Wrpgs have slews of choices but Jrpg only has one.

I mean it's still fine to enjoy other Jrpgs, but it would still be nice to have another choice in that field.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Last edited:

Graciaus

If you are talking from big studios then no outside of maybe Dragon Quest 8. But there are plenty of jrpgs just as good and better then FF in that time period.

. And it strayed from being a pure RPG for a reason.
When was FF ever a pure rpg?

I've only played the demo, but Dragon Quest XI seems pretty triple-A to me.

With how well it's been doing, Nier may turn AAA as well in the future...which I'm not sure is a good thing for the series tbh.
It's not but DQ is by Square anyway so wouldn't really be competition outside of internal teams at Square.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
61I3YULsCPL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Its weird no one talks about White Knight Chronicles, it was huge during its release everyone I knew who liked RPG's was playing it.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Final Fantasy is the only AAA jRPG series right now. Since PS1 there have been a few 1 off AAA RPGs like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon but no other series has consistently been AAA.

I'm not sure if Dragon Quest XI is AAA or not...

SkylineRKR

When was FF ever a pure rpg?

It's not but DQ is by Square anyway so wouldn't really be competition outside of internal teams at Square.

No, not in the literal sense. Your character and story is pre baked. But it had turn based battling in the past among other things making it a slower burn than recent FF. It was more hardcore, like the traditional RPG's were at the time.

However, you were still role playing. You could typically give your char a name and develop a certain build suited to your playstyle out of it. Its a different discussion though.

It would be nice if Namco would give Tales better production since they shrunk the production values of a lot of their other internal franchises.

But I guess they make so much off them being made with peanuts.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
It's not competing with FF and it's not a jrpg you know what that term means.

You know damn well Dark souls isn't a jrpg. Unless your one of those guys revising the definition to geography.
It is a Role Playing game from Japan. I think it fits the term JRPG. if it isn't that, then what is it?

Well, Yakuza, Persona, Dragon Quest, From Soft games, Nioh and Pokémon are all AAA JRPG's. But they all seem to target a slightly different market when compared to FF. FF is the most mainstream of the bunch I'd say.

Which is crazy to think about. Without competition, FF should dominate everything with ease. But when you see people who have played the recent FF's, I don't think many are satisfied with them.

It can also be seen as not so crazy. Square Enix probably knows there's no direct competitor around. So they often do just enough for people wanting to buy it (high sales), but not enough to have players think they're impactful games (seemingly unsatisfied and shrinking fanbase).

It is a Role Playing game from Japan. I think it fits the term JRPG. if it isn't that, then what is it?

Reviewers wouldn't have called western made jrpgs on ps1 and ps2 Jrpgs if it was about region. You had the opportunity to look up where it came from but stood by your argument instead. Not good.

CRPG = Computer rpg
cRPG = console rpg.

Computer rpgs on consoles snes, 3DO, N64, PS1 were still mostly called computer rpgs on consoles.

Xbox 2001 comes in, brings in triple computer rpg output to consoles across the isle, PS2 not long after has increased ports of console rpg on PC.

CRPG = WRPG
cRPG = JRPG.

Both ideas were actually used previously during the ps1 times (American style, Japanese style) but by this point they were now cemented common terms.

Because most rpgs couldn't run on consoles and we're exclusive to computers since the 80s outside the odd port, nearly all console rpgs use a template used by Japanese devs. Including non-japanese devs. Thus the J instead of "east".

Well, Yakuza, Persona, Dragon Quest, From Soft games, Nioh and Pokémon are all AAA JRPG's. But they all seem to target a slightly different market when compared to FF. FF is the most mainstream of the bunch I'd say.

Which is crazy to think about. Without competition, FF should dominate everything with ease. But when you see people who have played the recent FF's, I don't think many are satisfied with them.

It can also be seen as not so crazy. Square Enix probably knows there's no direct competitor around. So they often do just enough for people wanting to buy it (high sales), but not enough to have players think they're impactful games (seemingly unsatisfied and shrinking fanbase).
Dragon Quest is the only AAA game in that list and it's owned by Square.

StormCell

GAF, did you forget your meds this morning? What are you doing? The labels AA and AAA refer to development studios and publishers. I'm not sure why we're running through a list of high budget games declaring them not AAA because of things like re-used assets. I guess that means Far Cry 5 isn't AAA.

As far as high budget competition in the jRPG space, I can really only think of Dragon Quest and possibly Xenoblade. Regardless of your opinion, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a big fully orchestrated game. I'm not sure what its budget was, and it's sales target wasn't particularly high among Nintendo published games.

To be frank, Post FF-12 games aren't really competition in the jRPG space. I think the focus on cutting edge graphics has severely hurt the series.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Reviewers wouldn't have called western made jrpgs on ps1 and ps2 Jrpgs if it was about region. You had the opportunity to look up where it came from but stood by your argument instead. Not good.

CRPG = Computer rpg
cRPG = console rpg.

Computer rpgs on consoles snes, 3DO, N64, PS1 were still mostly called computer rpgs on consoles.

Xbox 2001 comes in, brings in triple computer rpg output to consoles across the isle, PS2 not long after has increased ports of console rpg on PC.

CRPG = WRPG
cRPG = JRPG.

Both ideas were actually used previously during the ps1 times (American style, Japanese style) but by this point they were now cemented common terms.

Because most rpgs couldn't run on consoles and we're exclusive to computers since the 80s outside the odd port, nearly all console rpgs use a template used by Japanese devs. Including non-japanese devs. Thus the J instead of "east".
None of this makes any sense. FF and Dragon quest have been called JRPGs since the 90s. Never has the term CRPG and cRPG been used. FF7 was specifically called a JRPG on its original release in 97. I think you just want to be obtuse.....I'm out.

Top Bottom