• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has anybody been gaming less due to the summer heat?

Kadayi

Banned
We had a heatwave in the UK recently and that definitely stopped me from rebuilding America for a few days. Snow, Mountains, BTs and Timefall I can handle, but a GPU essentially cooking me not so much. Glad that's over with and we are back to a sensible 21 degrees C.

Last edited:
I'm not gaming much but it has nothing to do with the heat, I've just been gaming less in general recently. The last game I played was RE3...and that was a single playthrough in April. That single playthrough was enough to leave me disillusioned enough to stop me from playing for months.

Arun1910

My PC is under my desk so a lot of hot air just rises up between my crotch, it gets pretty toasty.

I read that putting cold water over my motherboard should help so will try that today :)

Humdinger

I live in the deep south, so during the peak of summer, everyone hides inside and runs the a/c. It's usually just too hot to be outdoors. So, I've been gaming more, not less.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yes, in the afternoon I got to stop if its not raining, the heat my laptop puts out heats up a room fast.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
My VR setup is downstairs where it’s several degrees cooler than upstairs but even then with the AC going, it gets hot to be standing up and moving around with a hot thing strapped your face. So with the current heat wave I’ve definitely cut back on those types of games

My PS4's fan was going nuts playing TLOU2 when it was 27c in the house. And that was at 8pm in the evening. Had to crank up the volume a bit to overcome the noise of the fan! Heh.
I play TLOU2 only with headphones, because my Pro is helicoptering through the living room!

...so... in 36°C today I will not play that at all, because I don't want to sweat my friggin' ears off!

DogofWar

Well yes since it's summer I tend to spend a lot of time outside, going to the beach. Meeting friends etc.
Really stupid and a waste of time when I could sit in front of my computer and do something that matters I know but I am just a wasteful guy I suppose.

Kev Kev

I live in the deep south, so during the peak of summer, everyone hides inside and runs the a/c. It's usually just too hot to be outdoors. So, I've been gaming more, not less.
yeah same here. i live in florida and there's plenty of people doing out doors stuff (beach, boating, sports, exercise, etc) but no one is sitting outside just to relax, shit is just too hot during the summer for that... well unless you're like 80 years old, then you sit in your drive way for hours at a time doing literally nothing lol

so yeah, inside and gaming is usually where i end up

notseqi

I am not OK with current temps and the years of 30°C+ and sweaty-balls humidity are getting more and more annoying as time goes by.
Gotta think about getting an AC installed.

We had a heatwave in the UK recently and that definitely stopped me from rebuilding America for a few days. Snow, Mountains, BTs and Timefall I can handle, but a GPU essentially cooking me not so much. Glad that's over with and we are back to a sensible 21 degrees C.

Got to love British weather. Heatwave for like a month then 6 months work of rain, cold winds and 2 inch of snow to stop the entire country moving.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm gaming less in summer, because I have a life.

It's a Summer, goddamit !!!
Why are you posting on GAF, then?

giphy.gif

It's been raining a whole week here and started to get colder and colder lately. I think I could leave the pc and ps4 on all night and it still be cool by the morning :messenger_grinning:. Not a common occurrence for people living in Tropical countries.

Grinchy

Banned
I have air conditioning and I let it run hard in the summer. If it's a hot day out, the only way I know is when I walk out to my car or if I check a weather app.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I cant wait for the winter version of this thread, where Tay complaints that he has to press his body against a vacuum-cleaner to feel warmth.

Jacknapes

Certainly less in summer, normally i'd be out meeting friends but we all know how 2020 is. Have been using the Switch more over the PS4, mostly because it's easy to play outside with it.

Stuart360

Its been awful in the UK the past couple of weeks, but unfortunately my PC is my entertainment hub, everything goes through it, so i either have it on, or sit here reading my bills.
Thankfully its been a little cooler the last couple of days.

I sit here, with my Hori Fighting Stick Mini (the controller, you 12 year olds!) and use the time to sort my Launchbox library. Some time in a utopian future it will be finished and glorious and I will play those games longer than a minute to try and test them and get them a nice bezel in Retroarch. Some time.... *dream*

Yes. But it's not just the heat. I've been in a post-game 'depression' after finishing the marvelous Xenoblade.

I'm also in a state of pre-next-gen where I'm postponing games like TLOUII and Ghost of T.

So yeah. It's just Tetris 99 from time to time.

Reactions: MrS

Hudo

I've actually gone back to my 3DS during the heat. Partly because it feels like it isn't affected by heat as much as other platforms and partly because it's portable, so I can play with it when melting on the floor.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No, but my electricity bill was $135 this month due to the AC being used so much. It usually averages around $50, even while working from home. I pray for crisp low-70's, high-60's weather again.

Bombolone

Gold Member
Yeah the consistent 30c+ heat w/humidity has me waiting til 8pm to start anything serious.
It is to damn uncomfortable, headphones get sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.

Doesn't help that el sol shines in from the windows starting at around 4pm.
Can't wait for the cool Autumn nights.
Fuck summer.

Woggleman

It's summer and I can't really go anywhere because of Covid 19 which is especially depressing living near the ocean so I am gaming more.

The heat drained my energy and concentration these last few weeks, so I consumed more passive media instead. Though it's not as hot anymore, it's still pretty toasty inside, so I've been playing my Switch because it doesn't get as hot as the laptop.

Top Bottom