• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has a genre ever been as primed to blow up like the survival genre?

Is the survival genre the next genre to blow up?

• Yes, once AAA developers take a crack at it, look out.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • No, this genre has too many limitations to get much bigger.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Maybe. I see it getting more popular but it won't take over the BR genre.

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Last week, an indie game called Raft released its 1.0 version and it's been lighting up the charts with more than 100k concurrent on Steam.

What's interesting is that the game looks like this...

There have been so many massive successes in the genre from small studios (Raft, V Rising, Valheim, The Forest etc...) that you have to wonder how big this genre is going to get once the AAA studios get their projects out.

GAF, is this genre heir to the throne Battle Royale currently resides?

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Good God, I wish the genre would disappear. It’s hard enough to actually survive in real life. My escape is video games, I’m not trying to do it there too. It’s kind of like these work simulation games…like wtf, I work 40+ hours, I ain’t trying to do it during my free time. Maybe it’s just me, idk 🤷‍♂️

e0n

It has been mainstream popular for at least a decade since Minecraft/DayZ. Blizzard's survival game is undoubtedly going to get huge numbers as well.

Hari Seldon

I used to be suckered into buying these but I stopped because they are all boring as fuck. I relented and bought V Rising because it was isometric, but then realized that it was also boring as fuck. 100% chance if an AAA studio does survival it is all MTX to pay and speed things up.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I thought this genre already blew up and died down already?

The big boys (DayZ, Rust, and Ark) are basically more popular than they've ever been right now. Then we're seeing a bunch of small indie hits that sell insanely well. Hell, Minecraft is still the biggest game on the planet.

Survival's time has come and gone. We'll only see half-baked variations from here on out.

We haven't even seen AAA give the genre a crack.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I also though this genre's time came and went already.

I've poured hundreds of hours into 7 Days to Die with friends, and even I can admit that the game is as janky as you'd expect from a studio called "The Fun Pimps". And yet, it's incredibly compelling. It's like a combo of Fallout, Minecraft, and The Walking Dead, and it's somehow better than the the sum of its parts.

What I wouldn't give for someone to take this game, whole cloth, and remake it with budget and polish. That no AAA or even AA studio has tried really surprises me.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't think it will get as big as other genres like BR or FPS but will still enjoy a lot of popularity.

Rykan

It is the trifecta of guaranteed success on Steam:

Survival + Early Access + Open World.

PC gamers eat that stuff up. Personally, I think the concept is appealing but I'm still waiting for an actual big budget title to be released that delivers an actual well polished experience. Very curious about the Blizzard survival game.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The subnautica games do a decent job at adding in a narrative that helps power the need for the grind these games inevitably produce.

You gotta be a special kind of autistic to really groove on the myriad of collecting, recipes, and intuitive/counter-intuitive inventing/fabricating systems. Automate it and its just a chore. Make it too obtuse and folks will just look up a wiki. It really requires a delicate touch.

Reactions: CZY
Top Bottom