• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter series being developed for HBO Max

BeardGawd

Banned
Hogwarts in general has huge potential. The competing factionsmake for great plot material all in itself. I doubt this would be based on any existing material.

Dark Star

It would be really cool if the story took place like a thousand years before HP, focusing on the founders of Hogwarts. Or even a "prequel" kind of series that focuses on Tom Riddle, or a young Dumbledore would be neat.

I wouldn't mind a chapter by chapter take on the books, though. Like each episode would be a chapter, and each book would be a season. So 7 seasons. I think it could work like that, too. Most HP fans would agree that most of the films miss a lot of the details from the books, and some even completely skip huge plot points and character development from the books. I think a series focused on showcasing ALL of the details would be perfect.

Last edited:

Madevil

Was a big Harry Potter fan for a minute as a kid. While I’ve been put off by the franchise and it’s fandom, gotta admit there’s potential in this at the least.
Yeah man. Though I've never been into it whatsoever, my Sister dug it and she's in her mid 40s. Though never obsessed, I must add.

Fbh

I found the first one pretty bad. Didnt even bother with part 2.

I thought the first one was ok. Not great, not terrible.

But part 2 is horrible, it's seriously one of the absolutely worst movies I've ever seen.
It almost doesn't feel like an actual movie. It's like they had 6 different movies, then for some reason took random scenes out of all of them, stitched them together and called it a day.

That's before you add the awkward tone, the fact they made everyone unlikable or that the "fantastic beasts" now feel like less than an afterthought.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
It should be a completely new story with a new cast of characters, and should take place after Harry’s kids are already out of Hogwarts. Harry, Hermione and Ron should only be tangential characters working in the ministry, like Cornelius Fudge or Rufus Scrimgeour were in the books and movies. There could still be a number of familiar characters, like McGonagall or Neville, who are working at Hogwarts, but for the most part it should be a fresh start.

I don’t like the idea of a prequel show. We already know all the big events of the 20th century (Grindelwald, Voldemort, Voldemort 2.0), we know which important characters die (in some cases we even know exactly when and how they die), we know who marries whom, and which side wins. A series about Harry’s parents during their time at Hogwarts for example wouldn’t be very exciting for those reasons. Voldemort as a character isn’t interesting enough for his own show, and Grindelwald’s story is already being told through the Fantastic Beasts movies. They could make a series taking place in earlier centuries I guess, but one of the biggest appeals of HP has always been about this whimsical magical society hidden from our modern world, and I feel a lot of that charm would be lost if the story took place in the middle ages or something.

The only other thing they could do that would feel both familiar, but also fresh and exciting, would be an AU retelling of the HP series, where Harry gets sorted into Slytherin, for example, instead of Gryffindor. There are lot’s of fanfics with that premise, and I think a tv show based on that idea could be pretty amazing. It would feel very familiar for fans, and would involve all those beloved characters from the books, but – unlike with a prequel or another adaptation of the books – the audience would have no idea where the story goes, or how it ends. Would Harry befriend Draco Malfoy if he got sorted into Slytherin, for example? Would he still try to save the Philosopher’s Stone? How would Snape react? Does Sirius still escape in Harry’s third year? There are lot’s of exciting ways the story could go.

Unfortunately, if the Game of Thrones prequel is anything to go by, this series (if it actually happens) will probably be a prequel too, taking place during Voldemort’s rise in the 70s, when Harry’s parents went to Hogwarts. That probably sounds like the obvious solution for HBO.

GeorgPrime

Banned
sddefault.jpg

:unsure:

She will be the new teacher in the TV show xD

Jubenhimer

Always thought Harry Potter would've worked better as a TV show adaptation. Have each book be a story arc, with some Magic Mystery of the week episodes sprinkled in.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Always thought Harry Potter would've worked better as a TV show adaptation. Have each book be a story arc, with some Magic Mystery of the week episodes sprinkled in.
I think it works either way, as the books got longer the movies felt rushed, but as a TV show I can see them fall into the monster of the week temptation.

I've always said Harry Potter should have been a TV series, not a film series. They'll be able to flesh out the lore much more with a TV series.

Top Bottom