• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drama Hariseldon’s World | Visits to this thread may adversely affect your faith in humanity

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018
I swear I will never understand this Sargon bullshit.

My view on the guy has always been that he's the kind of person you see starting threads in forums with very long and very readable opening posts.
So on most forums I visit I will see a long post from a recognizable poster I might make a mental note to come back to it later on.

Waaay back when most outlets were not cowards you would often read a "thought provoking" article and then look down in the comments and there will always be one guy, often the same guy across multiple articles, who just absolutely shreds the content of the article to bits.

Sargon has always came across to me as that kind of person.

So they started shutting down comment sections or certain YouTube videos would have likes and comments disabled and this dude gets the idea "what if I just record myself responding and stick it up on YouTube". For whatever reason this takes off and here we are.

The absolute screeching that surrounds this dude is ridiculous.

If I told you "OK there is this dude on YouTube and he is such a rabid white supremacist that his channel needs to be banned and he needs to never be able to make money from his content ever again" and then asked you to guess the ten worst things he's ever said regarding race then you'd probably guess some horrendous stuff.

The reality is just SO lame and tame and boring in comparison. I mean, I think you'd even struggle to nail the dude down as any kind of white supremacist at all.

The problem seems to be here that he is somewhat popular, he won't play ball with identity politics, he criticizes the left and he pushes the boundaries from time to time. So they seem to think that if they shout "racist" and "sexist" loud enough and long enough that it'll just stick and they can get rid of an enemy.

It's something I always criticized about ResetEra. They are afraid of people who just like videogames and are not into politics because they are worried that you will see that and think it's OK for you not to be into politics too.

Similar thing here. I think the dude is atheist/agnostic, in favor of same sex marriage, is pro-choice but thinks abortion is still not a good thing. So on a lot of main talking points he is basically "on the left". However he won't bend to the more crazy elements of the left and they can't have you feeling like it's OK to analyse and shred Feminist talking points so he has to be branded as the most extreme thing possible.

She seems to think that if she just keep screeching "Racist" and "White Supremacist" and "Harassment" over and over that people will not look at the situation objectively because they want to stop a racist and she will be able to get her way by taking advantage of that.

The facts of the matter seem to be that she tried to sue the dude unfairly, bragged about how she was going to ruin him and then lost the case in a court of law. Then the judge decided that her behavior was so deplorable that she should pay the dudes legal fees.

In her mind though she seems to be thinking "if I just keep lying about him then surely someone will step in and help me hurt/damage/ruin him".

Imagine being so hell bent on proving that some YouTube commentator is the worst thing imaginable that you act like a terrible person yourself, abuse the law to try and hurt him, don't repent when you are told "what you are doing is wrong", don't back down when you are literally handed a bill for almost 40k due to your shitty behavior and even then continue to lie and lie and lie some more.

What's the point?

Here's how easy it would have been for "Sargon of Akkad" to have never been a thing.
When GamerGate is kicking off Sarkeesian, Wu, Quinn agree to stream with him on his YouTube.
Sargon has a polite conversation with them and in the end they agree to disagree.
People go "OK that was good and it just seems like everyone has a different view on things".
People lose interest.
The End.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
So I'm watching the 1976 film Network and there is this side plot about a leader of the U.S Communist Party talking about consolidating with the Democrats....

Can't find the exact scene but here she is in another scene from the movie...

screen shot
Dude hell yes Network is one of those genius prophetic movies. Iirc one of the plots has a news organization working with terrorists behind the scene. For sure I need to rewatch.
Do you think Trump is the Howard Beale character? Like he was always aaprt of this but over stepped his bounds?
There are definitely shades of Trump there in the populism and in the frustration (“I’m mad as hell” being a meme at one point). However I can also see The highly emotional conspiracy news of Glenn Beck and Rachel Maddox style here, complete with moral righteousness.

But by the time his set has a stained glass window and all that, I feel like that matches how the left sees it’s own media high priests.

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: MetalAlien

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Hows that for double-double-double-downing on the victim narrative.

History:
Caroline Flack, a reality TV presenter, was alleged to have assaulted her boyfriend.
She was facing prosecution.
Ahead of prosecution she commit suicide.
The media, after tip-toeing around the notion of a woman assaulting a man, immediately leaped into the 'Caroline is the real victim in all this' narrative with gusto.
Magically, a posthumous post on her instagram appeared - saying how she "always takes responsibility" and yadda yadda yadda and the #bekind hashtag arose.
Sanctimonious virtue signallers adopted #bekind, typically to bludgeon anyone with a view they didn't like into submission with.
The hashtag swiftly lost momentum. Actually being kind was too hard.

Fast forward to yesterday and we get more Flack-is-pure-as-the-driven-snow narrative:

And today we get
So an admission of her guilt.
But, hey, if you suspect your boyfriend of something you go right ahead and assault him. Girl power!

Boyfriend = BAD!!
Police = BAD!!
Person who committed assault = GOOD!!

I'm reminded of the "Two lesbians assaulted on bus" story the media in the UK went wild for. "PROTECT MINORITIES!!!" "WE'RE BEING ATTACKED FOR WHO WE ARE!!" etc.
Curiously no CCTV footage ever released to help with the investigation of this heinous crime...
...until many months later after the media cycle had moved on.
CCTV footage showed that one of the two 'victims' was the one escalating things from verbal to physical.
Media rushes in with "Strong woman stands up for herself in the face of adversity!!" garbage.

MetalAlien

Mar 6, 2005
Dude hell yes Network is one of those genius prophetic movies. Iirc one of the plots has a news organization working with terrorists behind the scene. For sure I need to rewatch.

There are definitely shades of Trump there in the populism and in the frustration (“I’m mad as hell” being a meme at one point). However I can also see The highly emotional conspiracy news of Glenn Beck and Rachel Maddox style here, complete with moral righteousness.

But by the time his set has a stained glass window and all that, I feel like that matches how the left sees it’s own media high priests.
Yea like hariseldon hariseldon said... even if you can't map the characters one for one... the insane tone... the media, the left, fucking middle east, and the Marxists all in bed together.... just crazy how it's a fucking window into 2020. Funny how this is the year 2020 and this movie is like a 2020 vision of the year 2020.... lol

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
The ex-Love Island and X Factor host had been hounded by the media and faced a "show trial" after being accused of Mr Burton's assault, the court heard.

Mr Burton told Poplar Coroner's Court the last time he had seen Ms Flack "she was not in a good place".

"The media were constantly bashing her character," he said in a statement.

"[They were] writing hurtful stories... generally hounding her daily."
Another suicide by media.

Amazing how they keep their hands clean all the while ruining lives

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Michelle Obama: Former US first lady says she has 'low-grade depression'

Former US First Lady Michelle Obama has said she is suffering from "low-grade depression" because of the pandemic, racial tensions and the "hypocrisy" of the Trump administration.

She said managing "emotional highs and lows" required "knowing yourself" and "the things that do bring you joy".

Mrs Obama said she has had difficulties with her exercise routine and sleep.

"I'm waking up in the middle of the night because I'm worrying about something or there's a heaviness."

"These are not, they are not fulfilling times, spiritually," the 56-year-old said. "I know that I am dealing with some form of low-grade depression.

"Not just because of the quarantine, but because of the racial strife, and just seeing this administration, watching the hypocrisy of it, day in and day out, is dispiriting."

She also said it is "exhausting" to be "waking up to yet another story of a black man or a black person somehow being dehumanized, or hurt, or killed, or falsely accused of something."

"And it has led to a weight that I haven't felt in my life, in a while," she said.

Life is really hard out there for Black men. When a black man sees another black man in trouble it hits you hard.

Reactions: Sarkozix le Gaulois

Scotty W

Sep 29, 2019
It pleases me greatly that people are watching Network. If you liked that movie, I strongly suggest you watch the film Altered States, which is based on a novel bu the screenwriter of Network, Paddy Chayevsky. In the words of a coworker to whom I once leant the DVD “That was the most fucked up movie I ever saw.”

Don’t spoil it for yourselves with reviews and synopses. Just do it.

Last edited:

Breakage

Mar 3, 2014
So Beyonce puts out a video album called “Black is King”, but apparently it's not got nothing to do with the notion of black supremacy (posted in full):

Beyoncé's Black is King is a breathtaking celebration of Black empowerment

At a time when police can kill an innocent Black woman in her home (and face no criminal charges) and a pandemic is inordinately impacting Black and brown people, the notion of a “Black supremacy” seems astounding.

But that is the hill that Terry Crews is apparently willing to die on. The Brooklyn Nine-Nine actor recently sparked a social media backlash with a series of tweets that seemed to suggest that Black liberation is somehow synonymous with white degradation.

Contrast Beyoncé’s new visual album, Black is King. Her project is a breathtaking celebration of Black empowerment. She embodies images of Black regality as a means to combat anti-Black oppression. Black is King has been met with universal praise. Why? Because it affirms, not divides.

To be fair, it is probably worth discussing what Crews is in part trying to address – that is, the policing of Blackness within the Black community and the fact that Blackness is not a monolith. Black people belong to a variety of political parties, have many different skin tones, and inhabit countries all around the world. And no, we don’t always agree on things. But then there is the other part of what Crews said, that “defeating white supremacy without white people could create Black supremacy”.

First of all, defeating white supremacy without white people has already proven to be impossible, which is one reason why white supremacy is still thriving. Second, defeating white supremacy isn’t about forming a new supremacy; it’s about uplifting Black people and creating equality for all people of color.

While Black is King draws fans’ attention to ubiquitous symbols of decadence – mansions, gold grills and convertibles – she also highlights cultural opulence dating back generations throughout the 90-minute video compilation. Black people prevailing isn’t just about having more money, homes and diamonds. It’s about understanding the kind of cultural richness that our African ancestors had – goats, cattle horns, kanaga masks and cowrie shells that are all emblems of celestial power and currency.

Black is King is a reminder that Black power comes from within and is our cultural birthright – not something that is granted to us by someone else. It’s a hard realization now when so much of the narrative is about how a system built by other people has failed us and what we need from them to be successful.
“Let Black be synonymous with glory” is what Beyoncé says in Black is King. She – along with co-writers Yrsa Daley-Ward, Clover Hope and Andrew Morrow – points to the kind of flourishing that is innately within us as descendants of actual kings and queens, those who weren’t given because they already had. It’s an intangible type of fortune that doesn’t need to be authorized by a white establishment or require an eagerness to align with whiteness in order to be accepted.

White allies are necessary to defeat white supremacy, but Black is King emphasizes that they are not fundamental to our self-worth. We don’t need to see ourselves through another person’s gaze in order to personify what is already ours. “The royalty in you is there,” Beyoncé sings. She is not referring to the kind of majesty that is exemplary of making other people feel inferior. Rather, she is pointing to what we’ve already inherited and what too many have forgotten amid a racist system that spans cinematic image, literature and even statues erected in honor of oppression.

It’s why Beyoncé can still maintain legions of white fans while very specifically affirming that Black people possess a power that can never be ripped from us, no matter how hard some may try. It’s the kind of self-assurance that people of all backgrounds can’t help but find magnetic and inspiring. With that knowledge, Black people should no longer feel less than or that we need to seek value from those who can subjugate us.

Black is King celebrates the joy of self-ownership and realizing that we already possess what we often look for from others: love, honor and power. That’s not a step toward supremacy; it’s just fact. And we should all get behind it.

• Candice Frederick is a freelance TV and film critic living in New York City

Fundamentally, it's all about skin colour for these people. They just can't stop talking about it.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Network is definitely a must watch. We should come up with a movie list to watch.

I haven't had coffee yet, but will add A Clockwork Orange to the list. Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Manchurian Candidate. The original Red Dawn.

Oh shit... someone told me to watch a movie a couple months ago, and i researched where to stream it, and now can't remember the name. Hrm. If you are here, remind me!

Boswollocks

Apr 19, 2019
Mars
So Beyonce puts out a video album called “Black is King”, but apparently it's not got nothing to do with the notion of black supremacy (posted in full):

Beyoncé's Black is King is a breathtaking celebration of Black empowerment

At a time when police can kill an innocent Black woman in her home (and face no criminal charges) and a pandemic is inordinately impacting Black and brown people, the notion of a “Black supremacy” seems astounding.

But that is the hill that Terry Crews is apparently willing to die on. The Brooklyn Nine-Nine actor recently sparked a social media backlash with a series of tweets that seemed to suggest that Black liberation is somehow synonymous with white degradation.

Contrast Beyoncé’s new visual album, Black is King. Her project is a breathtaking celebration of Black empowerment. She embodies images of Black regality as a means to combat anti-Black oppression. Black is King has been met with universal praise. Why? Because it affirms, not divides.

To be fair, it is probably worth discussing what Crews is in part trying to address – that is, the policing of Blackness within the Black community and the fact that Blackness is not a monolith. Black people belong to a variety of political parties, have many different skin tones, and inhabit countries all around the world. And no, we don’t always agree on things. But then there is the other part of what Crews said, that “defeating white supremacy without white people could create Black supremacy”.

First of all, defeating white supremacy without white people has already proven to be impossible, which is one reason why white supremacy is still thriving. Second, defeating white supremacy isn’t about forming a new supremacy; it’s about uplifting Black people and creating equality for all people of color.

While Black is King draws fans’ attention to ubiquitous symbols of decadence – mansions, gold grills and convertibles – she also highlights cultural opulence dating back generations throughout the 90-minute video compilation. Black people prevailing isn’t just about having more money, homes and diamonds. It’s about understanding the kind of cultural richness that our African ancestors had – goats, cattle horns, kanaga masks and cowrie shells that are all emblems of celestial power and currency.

Black is King is a reminder that Black power comes from within and is our cultural birthright – not something that is granted to us by someone else. It’s a hard realization now when so much of the narrative is about how a system built by other people has failed us and what we need from them to be successful.
“Let Black be synonymous with glory” is what Beyoncé says in Black is King. She – along with co-writers Yrsa Daley-Ward, Clover Hope and Andrew Morrow – points to the kind of flourishing that is innately within us as descendants of actual kings and queens, those who weren’t given because they already had. It’s an intangible type of fortune that doesn’t need to be authorized by a white establishment or require an eagerness to align with whiteness in order to be accepted.

White allies are necessary to defeat white supremacy, but Black is King emphasizes that they are not fundamental to our self-worth. We don’t need to see ourselves through another person’s gaze in order to personify what is already ours. “The royalty in you is there,” Beyoncé sings. She is not referring to the kind of majesty that is exemplary of making other people feel inferior. Rather, she is pointing to what we’ve already inherited and what too many have forgotten amid a racist system that spans cinematic image, literature and even statues erected in honor of oppression.

It’s why Beyoncé can still maintain legions of white fans while very specifically affirming that Black people possess a power that can never be ripped from us, no matter how hard some may try. It’s the kind of self-assurance that people of all backgrounds can’t help but find magnetic and inspiring. With that knowledge, Black people should no longer feel less than or that we need to seek value from those who can subjugate us.

Black is King celebrates the joy of self-ownership and realizing that we already possess what we often look for from others: love, honor and power. That’s not a step toward supremacy; it’s just fact. And we should all get behind it.

• Candice Frederick is a freelance TV and film critic living in New York City

Fundamentally, it's all about skin colour for these people. They just can't stop talking about it.
Who the fuck wrote that shit? It reads like a REEE post. "hill he chose to die on", "can't defeat white supremecy without white people, which is why it's still a thing" two classic post-rift gaf/Ree buzz phrases.

Reactions: Breakage

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
It's pretty smart. Makes the BLM and the KKK happy.
You know, that didn't even cross my mind at first. I was pointing out the race conscious narrative of wokesters... and didn't even consider people could use this to avoid companies as well. But you are absolutely correct.

Up next, credit card companies ensure you spend at least x% of your purchasing power on black owned companies.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: crumbs

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
A molotov cocktail is a very deadly weapon, not to be toss around for fun.
I get it and it's not justified at all that they did this, but murder is 25 to life. throwing a molotov cocktail into an unmanned police car and getting a minimum of 35 is extreme imo. If she had killed someone inside that car--different story.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I get it and it's not justified at all that they did this, but murder is 25 to life. throwing a molotov cocktail into an unmanned police car and getting a minimum of 35 is extreme imo. If she had killed someone inside that car--different story.
Remember, these acts are not in isolation. They are part of violent riots. Even if she thought the police vehicle was empty, she could have been wrong. It also takes a police vehicle out of action during riots, limiting the ability of the police to deal with the riot itself, and general crime. It is both a bomb, and arson, and is particularly imprecise and can cause death to unintended victims, including the thrower.

And both of the people involved [woman and the guy she was with] were lawyers and worked in our justice system. They were actively engaged in not only attacking said justice system, but undermining the city and country as a whole.

While nobody died, this type of insurrection can have damages that potentially dwarf a homicide. Beyond general destruction, not throwing the book at people who throw molotovs will lead to greater death down the line when other people follow suit. Just because a bomb doesn't go off doesn't mean you go light on a terrorist.

There was the other young woman who threw a lit molotov into a car with cops in it, but the molotov failed to ignite. How long for her?

Only the very fringe are this violent. Put them the fuck away. Remove the violent fringe, and it is better for everyone. It still won't be perfect, because mob will can see a peaceful person do surprising things, but by the time you are throwing molotovs you have torn up your pass to be a part of civilized society.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Nov 30, 2012
BBC: Bringing you 2017's news .. TODAY!

I don't get this. Movies get censored/altered when they get released to other countries all the time. But the originals still exist. Can't they just release edited versions for China in China only? Why do we all have to get that version as well?

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
I don't get this. Movies get censored/altered when they get released to other countries all the time. But the originals still exist. Can't they just release edited versions for China in China only? Why do we all have to get that version as well?
Because China says so. 🤷‍♂️

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
Remember, these acts are not in isolation. They are part of violent riots. Even if she thought the police vehicle was empty, she could have been wrong. It also takes a police vehicle out of action during riots, limiting the ability of the police to deal with the riot itself, and general crime. It is both a bomb, and arson, and is particularly imprecise and can cause death to unintended victims, including the thrower.

And both of the people involved [woman and the guy she was with] were lawyers and worked in our justice system. They were actively engaged in not only attacking said justice system, but undermining the city and country as a whole.

While nobody died, this type of insurrection can have damages that potentially dwarf a homicide. Beyond general destruction, not throwing the book at people who throw molotovs will lead to greater death down the line when other people follow suit. Just because a bomb doesn't go off doesn't mean you go light on a terrorist.

There was the other young woman who threw a lit molotov into a car with cops in it, but the molotov failed to ignite. How long for her?

Only the very fringe are this violent. Put them the fuck away. Remove the violent fringe, and it is better for everyone. It still won't be perfect, because mob will can see a peaceful person do surprising things, but by the time you are throwing molotovs you have torn up your pass to be a part of civilized society.
This makes a lot of sense. The way I'm thinking about it is, it sucks that these peoples' lives are ruined now because of a mistake they made while in a mob mentality. To me 35 years seems excessive, but I see why it's more than just about burning a police car.

Reactions: autoduelist

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
They are lawyers they can figure out a way to get out of it. Use some of that famous white privilege.

Also since they are lawyers they knew the consequences and did it anyways. That only makes it worse tbh

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: DESTROYA

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
This makes a lot of sense. The way I'm thinking about it is, it sucks that these peoples' lives are ruined now because of a mistake they made while in a mob mentality. To me 35 years seems excessive, but I see why it's more than just about burning a police car.
Mob mentality can excuse some behavior [a normal non-violent person shoving someone, or breaking a window] but the problem is it escalates... i only knocked him down, i didn't kick him... i only kicked him in the leg, not the head.

This allows agitators to 'start the fire'. In some cases, that might mean simply pointing at a complete stranger and yelling 'fascist', and inciting the mob to do as mobs do. The instigator only pointed, yet is arguably more guilty than the person kicking the stranger. Everyone involved pushes that mob forward... it's why I think everyone involved in stuff like this should be charged. For example, in that shooting of the driver in Provo [iirc], all the 'protestors' who provided cover by illegally overtaking a street without permit should be charged with accessory, since none did anything to help the victim or subdue the shooter.

As for molovs... by the time you are making molotovs, I would argue you are far past mob action. That requires forethought, knowledge, and deliberate action.

I am generally against long sentences. 10 years is a long, long time. But I feel as if these crimes are particularly aggregious at this time. And if forced to err on dealing with rioters overzealously vs. the way nyc and portland simply catch and release, i would pick long terms.

If Portland simply jailed these people and refused bail, the riots would have been over months ago, not on day 70+.

Reactions: hariseldon

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
As for molotovs... by the time you are making molotovs, I would argue you are far past mob action. That requires forethought, knowledge, and deliberate action.

I am generally against long sentences. 10 years is a long, long time. But I feel as if these crimes are particularly aggregious at this time. And if forced to err on dealing with rioters overzealously vs. the way nyc and portland simply catch and release, i would pick long terms.
Yeah, when you are making weapons to use in a riot you are a criminal, full stop. On the other hand though, even though she might get 35 years they will release her a lot sooner, maybe even less than 5, no?

Last edited:

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
Yeah, when you are making weapons to use in a riot you are a criminal, full stop. On the other hand though, even though she might get 35 years they will release her a lot sooner, maybe even less than 5, no?
Not sure? I assume these are Federal charges and I know they tend to be less likely to release early.

Then again, she'll probably be pardoned if we ever let another leftist near the White House, just like Clinton handed BLM it's leadership.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: mcz117chief