• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Hardware Busters] The New PS5 is Actually Better

Loxus

Austin never said PS5s were having throttling issues. He never said PS5s were failing en masse. The reaction to the video was completely overblown.

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

It's like Austin's followers are liars just like him.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Alder

Neo Member
Imo, these test are much more valid then Austin's test.

I see many questioning the placement of the temperature probes. But if place the temperature probes the same spots on both of the PS5 to get readings of the internal temps and the temps are lower on the new model. It means the new model isn't worst, but some what better.

It also means one of many Ls coming Austin's way. I can see a 'I was wrong about the PS5' video coming.

By measuring the output, you would have a normalized air temperature inside the device. With the probe glued to the steel plate you are measuring its temperature, which would be a fraction of the VRM radiance

Seems like you skipped over the IF. If your system isn't having a problem then it doesn't apply to you right? I am not buying into anything. I have said numerous times I didn't reach the same conclusion he did about the cooler being worse. I am able to take info and arrive at my own conclusions. I was still able to find some value in his video and I thought it was a fascinating look at the new PS5 cooler. I can take it for what it was; one guy's point of view. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

This strikes me as more of an emotional response than one based on logic. All the comments about throttling were based around the hypothetical of a old system having the problem at the start. Again if it doesn't apply to you then you can ignore it. My PS5 doesn't throttle and I wasn't upset at Austin's video.

Can you please give me the time stamp in his video where he declared the new PS5 has a hotter running SOC please. All I recall was him taking the temperature of the exhaust.
riding-backwards-bmx.gif

skit_data

I'd put 50 cents on just about everything being hotter in the GN video coming, including APU.
Yeah, its definitely possible.
Will it matter? Probably not.

I just like to see people fail when making absolute claims without proper reason to doing so. In this case Austin is guilty of doing so, and so are these guys. But I can imagine the shitfest if it turns out Austin was right (but it was his method that made him look stupid in my eyes). But it would be funny if he’s completely wrong as well.

I am so glad that i did not buy the first PlayStation 5 model this generation, in fact, i am not going to get this new one either and wait for the one after that which will be even better again.

I might just skip this entire generation just to rub it in your face.

That will teach you. "lollipop_disappointed:
If I couldn't have the master race PS5 1.0 and had to settle for one of those crappy remodels with a stupid screw, I'd skip the entire generation too.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Thats good, pretty sure my PS5 has a delta fan, it makes ticker, ticker,ticker,ticker noise but overall all noise is good about the same as my matte PS4 or launch PS2.

Heres a useless fact, when i was younger i liked louder consoles because it made me think that they were very powerful and the more noise meant MORE POWER!

forums corrupted my mind to be OCD on console noise but now i dont really care as long has its not really really loud.

skit_data

Thats good, pretty sure my PS5 has a delta fan, it makes ticker, ticker,ticker,ticker noise
Hmm.. is it brand new?

I remember mine making very faint ticking noises at launch, but it has ceased. It’s wierd, I’m 100% certain my PS5 was audible at launch but now it isn’t.

Last edited:
You know what an APU is?

But the readings from this tests are not accurate at all.

Look at the pics, few posts above from Alder Alder

Yes, but they only reported CPU thermals. CPU and GPU parts will have different operating thermals even if they're in an APU.

If the test is fraudulent tho, all the more reason to wait for DF & GN to do their tests for some finality on this topic.

Hmm.. is it brand new?

I remember mine making very faint ticking noises at launch, but it has ceased. It’s wierd, I’m 100% certain my PS5 was audible at launch but now it isn’t.

They might've gotten some use-case data and done a device firmware update changing some of the fan settings in the device.

Last edited:

Loxus

By measuring the output, you would have a normalized air temperature inside the device. With the probe glued to the steel plate you are measuring its temperature, which would be a fraction of the VRM radiance
By pointing a temperature sensor at the back of the console, you are actually measuring the temperature of the plastic, not the air coming out the console. Smh

Yes, but they only reported CPU thermals. CPU and GPU parts will have different operating thermals even if they're in an APU.

If the test is fraudulent tho, all the more reason to wait for DF & GN to do their tests for some finality on this topic.
Well with external measures like these it will be closely impossible to determine CPU and GPU temps separately so APU temp is all we can ask. ( They probably just said CPU in lack of knowledge/vocabulary)

Not really fraudulent(at least intentionally), but not accurate/good enough.
Seems we need tech-jeebus after all.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned

You want them

- to open both PS5s
- to remove the liquid metal
- to delid the heatspreader (without affecting it, destroying it, tempering i)
- to clean the apu-dies
- to add not 1 but 2 sensors on each chip

And after that,
- re-add the heatspreader
- add liquid metal
- and PRAY to god, that due both cables (from the sensor) there´s no leakage

It´s a console, jeezus. Strange that only the PS5 needs to undergo this rigorous testing. When the XSX console was tested by that bald testicle and others, it did not matter.

gifys GIF by The .GIFYS

ethomaz

Banned
You want them

- to open both PS5s
- to clean the apu-dies

And after that,
- add liquid metal

It´s a console, jeezus. Strange that only the PS5 needs to undergo this rigorous testing. When the XSX console was tested by that bald testicle and others, it did not matter.

gifys GIF by The .GIFYS
Exactly… seems like there is a lack of common sense here.

Plus if he do that you listed it basically breaks the ideia of mensure because the cooling system will already be compromised.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You want them

- to open both PS5s
- to clean the apu-dies

And after that,
- add liquid metal

gifys GIF by The .GIFYS

Don't ask these people to test temps with their pc's. They will finally see it's nothing different with your pc parts lol. People don't give a flying fuck about some of the temps on their pc but with PS5....the world needs watch this.

yurinka

For the people who didnt watch the video.

nT4XPCL.png
The new console has a way better temperature in the CPU (which is the most important thing), removes more heat out of the console (higher exhaust temperature) and memory and VRM have a slightly worse temperature but still in a very safe zone.

The new SKU is the best one.

Where is Sony about this?

They are busy doing more important things, like counting money or preparing their megatons for tomorrow:

Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't ask these people to test temps with their pc's. They will finally see it's nothing different with your pc parts lol. People don't give a flying fuck about some of the temps on their pc but with PS5....the world needs watch this.
obama records GIF

This was witnessed with the ever elusive (months prior to current beta) M2 drives melting in PS5 rumor FUD, but never in the sandwiched no airflow laptops or slapped right between a nuclear thermal nVidia card and magma core CPU in desktops across the nation and beyond.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Duly noted. But I'll wait for Gamer's Nexus.

You got one guy that doesn't know how to test...and then this guy who seems to know how to test but seems unproven at this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Armorian

Banned
Duly noted. But I'll wait for Gamer's Nexus.

You got one guy that doesn't know how to test...and then this guy who seems to know how to test but seems unproven at this time.

Yep.

But I think it's safe to say that new unit is not bad. And you really don't have any choice anyway :messenger_grinning_smiling:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mom, can we have Gamers Nexus?

No, we have Gamers Nexus at home.

Gamers Nexus at home:

PmMY5ER.png

x7U95Rz.png

4EWIa0V.png

Kz4SPGj.png

PmMY5ER.png

x7U95Rz.png

4EWIa0V.png

Kz4SPGj.png
Q8MiC3Y.jpg

3268xOt.jpg

source

iu

j/k it was an interesting video

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yep.

But I think it's safe to say that new unit is not bad. And you really don't have any choice anyway :messenger_grinning_smiling:
I could choose not to buy it. I won't be in a rush until maybe Feb when horizon comes out. Can't buy one anyways right now.

I'm actually banking on Christmas having insane influx of stock. I'll get back into the rat race at that point. Searching for these things is exhausting.

sircaw

Banned
Makes you laugh people believe all these guys but don't trust the Sony engineering team that would of tested this new model hard before releasing it. These are people who do this for a living not YouTubers, get a grip people.
Fuck Cerny and his team of so-called Engineers, local las at my chippie said the new ps5 is blowing hot, she's hot, she works in a hot environment,

i am taking her word as truth. "lollipop_disappointed:

lachesis

VBXpdUA.jpg

Are these probes put on the backplate and is it the right way to measure the chip temperature?
Sorry, I only skimmed thru the video, but it looks somewhat iffy compared to GN's probe location on the right - his probes are at least under the mounting plate - much closer to the chip.

Not sure what we can tell from their back plate temperature to be honest - It seems like it's measuring the temperature over the mounting plate and other stuff.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Loxus

VBXpdUA.jpg

Are these probes put on the backplate and is it the right way to measure the chip temperature?
Sorry, I only skimmed thru the video, but it looks somewhat iffy compared to GN's probe location on the right - his probes are at least under the mounting plate - much closer to the chip.

Not sure what we can tell from their back plate temperature to be honest - It seems like it's measuring the temperature over the mounting plate and other stuff.
My guess is they didn't want to teardown a PS5.

Not as accurate as Games Nexus, but still much more accurate than Austin's that's for sure.

DeepSpace5D

Hmm.. is it brand new?

Interestingly I believe the fan may have been adjusted through firmware updates. I remember finding this article interesting last year:

sircaw

Banned
Hmm.. is it brand new?

i can't remember, but didn't people say the fan was flicking something, a sticker of somesort, its a long time ago but i am sure it was mentioned, maybe yours came off :messenger_grimmacing_

skit_data

i can't remember, but didn't people say the fan was flicking something, a sticker of somesort, its a long time ago but i am sure it was mentioned, maybe yours came off :messenger_grimmacing_
Yeah, its possible, I always assumed it was either fan curve update or that a slight unavoidable dust buildup made it go all fuzzy and muffled :p

Allandor

Did they measure the Backplate temperatures? Those have nothing to say at all. Temperatuers are way to low all over the place for e.g. CPU (APU) temperatures. But would make sense if they just measure backplate temps. And those do again not tell us anything.

Please tell me... Why do you think he titled the video the way he did...?
To get attention for his video. Just like news papers with sensational headlines its designed to get attention. You only have a few fractions of second to get people to watch your content. Any YouTuber will tell you that.
Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

It's like Austin's followers are liars just like him.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
Who's an Austin follower? And who was lying? What does that have to do with the PS5 revision temperatures? Name calling is a clear sign of a lack of a sincere argument.

lachesis

Not as accurate as Games Nexus, but still much more accurate than Austin's that's for sure.

I'm not entirely convinced of taking a measurement of backplate for the CPU side though... and rather skeptical about this too on claiming "better" either. It seems at least CPU part is just as inaccurate as Austins.
The mounting plate may have different thickness due to lighter/smaller heatsink design, or made with different thermal conductive material. Too many variables to consider. 10 degree difference is a big telling sign too, even though I'd be happy to admit and congratulate the new consumers with cool-running chip compared to my old PS5.

As far as I know, the PS5's backplate is part of the general cooling - the ram modules with small rear heat sink/pipe that runs around. Other places (RAM etc), I can generally understand the thermals may be more likely in the ball park as those are at least directly connected to the back plate via thermal putty - but the big important CPU part is a big question... when you consider at least 2-3 layers of different materials that could have different thermal conductivity and all.

At least we know that it uses same fan running at same RPM. Variables are reduced - so kudo's to them for confirming it.

Hope GN gets the unit soon from DF, although it may take a little while till he finishes testing/shooting and editing etc..

Loxus

Did they measure the Backplate temperatures? Those have nothing to say at all. Temperatuers are way to low all over the place for e.g. CPU (APU) temperatures. But would make sense if they just measure backplate temps. And those do again not tell us anything.
If you place a temperature probe in console A and place one in console B in the same spot as console A.

Console A reads a higher temperature than console B.
With that being said, console B is cooler than console A.

So without tearing down the consoles, you still get temperatures to compare both consoles internal temperature.

In this test it doesn't matter where you place the temperature probes but the temperature of inside the consoles and the temperature of the new model is lower than the old model.

Not even Gamers Nexus can get a temperature probe on the die because of the Liquid Metal.

Allandor

A wrong conclusion is still a wrong conclusion ;)
Measuring the backplate temperatures does only tell us, that less heat is transferred to this side. E.g. a more loose clamp that pressed the chip onto the backplate would already reduce those temperatures as the heat can't be transferred as good there. So the test results are more or less useless.
The only thing that remains is the exhaust temperatures, which are a bit higher again.

The backplate is not part of the main cooling system. Btw, my PS4 Pro ran much quiter when I connected the pins of the APU with the backplate with a non conductive material so the heat could be transferred. This lead to a much lower temps so the cooler wasn't spinning that fast, but this also led to the power supply running much hotter because there was less airflow, which than led to coil whine in the PSU which stops if I play a game that really uses the PS4 pros power so the APU gets hotter and the fan increases its speed and the coil-whine stops :( .... so don't do that on your PS4 pro.

If you place a temperature probe in console A and place one in console B in the same spot as console A.

Console A reads a higher temperature than console B.
With that being said, console B is cooler than console A.

So without tearing down the consoles, you still get temperatures to compare both consoles internal temperature.

In this test it doesn't matter where you place the temperature probes but the temperature of inside the consoles and the temperature of the new model is lower than the old model.

Not even Gamers Nexus can get a temperature probe on the die because of the Liquid Metal.
The backplate is not really a good place to measure this, because there are to many factures there. E.g. is the connection (pressure) good enough so the heat can be transferred. So it does nothing say about the real temperature.
This way the video is much more professional but still quite useless.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
VBXpdUA.jpg

They wanted to measure like a home PS5 and not tearing down the console.
If you start to open it and put things inside it will end compromising the cooling system that results in different results from an untouched console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom