• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy Labor Day Weekend America

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My fellow Americans, I want to wish you a glorious holiday weekend. How will you celebrate the holiday?

I'm getting together with friends over the weekend and helping to begin erecting our greenhouse in the back yard now that the ground work is complete.

iu

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Family reunions tomorrow and Sunday. Oculus Quest 2 Residential Evil 4 VR game-a-thon on Memorial Day.

God bless America, where the fortunate live better than some kings throughout history ever did. King Henry VIII chopping off heads instead of shootin zombies

resident evil 4 GIF

Independence Day Usa GIF by CBS

RAÏSanÏa

The origins are intriguing.

Labor Day is a federal holiday in the United States celebrated on the first Monday in September to honor and recognize the American labor movement and the works and contributions of laborers to the development and achievements of the United States.[1][2][3] The three-day weekend it falls on is called Labor Day Weekend.

According to one early history of Labor Day, the event originated in connection with a General Assembly of the Knights of Labor convened in New York City in September 1882.[8] In connection with this clandestine Knights assembly, a public parade of various labor organizations was held on September 5 under the auspices of the Central Labor Union (CLU) of New York.[8] Secretary of the CLU Matthew Maguire is credited for first proposing that a national Labor Day holiday subsequently be held on the first Monday of each September in the aftermath of this successful public demonstration.[9][7]

An alternative theory maintains that the idea of Labor Day was the brainchild of Peter J. McGuire, a vice president of the American Federation of Labor, who, after a visit to Toronto where he saw parades celebrating labor that May,[10][11] had put forward the initial proposal in the spring of 1882.[4] According to McGuire, on May 8, 1882, he made a proposition to the fledgling Central Labor Union in New York City that a day be set aside for a "general holiday for the laboring classes".[12] According to McGuire he further recommended that the event should begin with a street parade as a public demonstration of organized labor's solidarity and strength, with the march followed by a picnic, to which participating local unions could sell tickets as a fundraiser.[12] According to McGuire he suggested the first Monday in September as an ideal date for such a public celebration, owing to optimum weather and the date's place on the calendar, sitting midway between the Fourth of July and Thanksgiving public holidays.
[12]

Canada:
Labour Day (French: Fête du Travail) has been marked as a statutory public holiday in Canada on the first Monday in September since 1894. However, the origins of
Labour Day in Canada can be traced back to numerous local demonstrations and celebrations in earlier decades.[7] Such events assumed political significance in 1872, when a labour demonstration in Toronto in April 1872, in support of striking printers, led directly to the enactment of the Trade Union Act, a law that confirmed the legality of unions. Ten years later, on 22 July 1882, a huge labour celebration in Toronto attracted the attention of the American labour leader Peter J. McGuire, who organized a similar parade in New York City on 5 September that year.

Some striking similarities and differences yet both countries made it a federal holiday the same year in 1894.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
wLvo4OI.jpg

Ja bless

I am already pregaming my ja blessingness

Also the US is #1 country always sunny all the time always also we can blow your entire country up in like a weekend so remember that Europe

Last edited:
I wonder if people in the US even realize that it's a holiday to celebrate labor unions. I think they get it confused with Memorial Day in their brain lol. Not really an accident that you never will see that discussed on TV at all, despite it being a federal holiday.

Top Bottom