• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo wins TGA 2021 Player's Voice best game of 2021 award

No salt, it's the "accurate" people, pointing out the simple fact that it's silly for an audience to vote for a game it hadn't played. It's very funny and very pointless. (Pointless to argue about, too, but here we are, what else have we got to do today?)

If Forza Horizon 5 had won, that would been entirely justified and sensible, and a woot for Xbox.

But that's not "thinking", friend, that's "imagining". Imagine what deserve an award, and then just give it to them. Don't put any thought into it, just reach up into your head and pull out your choice from the clouds.

Tell me, what do you award the Best Movie of 2022, The Batman or Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse? I know none neither is finished yet, not even edited or watchable in any form, but the trailers are out, and that's enough, right? Just think about it...
Stopped reading at “no salt…”

you realize by starting a sentence with that you lose all credibility?

this is one of the most salt filled threads I’ve seen on here

CamHostage

Kinda weird that it won GOTY despite being available for less than half a day, but I guess people really like the MP.

Maybe. You'd have to respect if everybody in unison straight-out said, "This Multiplayer Beta is so good that it's my GOTY". (Of course, that was not the unanimous response of the Halo community... but then again, if it wasn't being played a lot, there's be no reason for complaints.) And it could be argued that players didn't have much time between the Multiplayer Beta launch on the 15th (with the Tech Tests before that, but they weren't as polished as the MP is now) and the vote opening on Dec 2, but then again, FH5 had only released on Nov 5, so only 10 days more playtime. If it had specified "Halo Infinite Multiplayer", then there would have been no discussion, but the voting system was just a bunch of keyart and the name/developer (I believe the screenshot below was the Player's Voice voting page?) and the keyart for Halo Infinite appears to be Master Chief, not a MP screenshot, but Halo is Halo and a portion of it was playable, so it's fair to be eligible.

game-of-the-year-tga-2020.jpg

We don't really know what criteria the audience voted for, though. There was just a poll that had 30 names, and people clicked Halo Infinite for whatever reason they had at the time. Maybe MP, maybe hype for the full game after seeing previews (although I know I've seen you among the comments mentioning, "Is there more to this game than what they've shown, where's the animals and beaches?" and getting muddled response that shows people still didn't get a full idea of the campaign until reviews,) maybe just sheer name recognition. You don't really know ever what criteria an audience is using to judge, which is one of the interesting things to try and figure out the factors involved when you read an audience poll... but it's particularly eye-raising here because you know what criterial the audience is NOT using, which is how good the actual overall game is...

Yea it's incredible how a beta MP portion of a game was better than anything else this year.

So, did you vote? Or is that how you would have voted?

You, a former games journalist, a Gold Member-certified writer on GAF, a person who from reading your posts I assume holds his opinion to a high degree of personal integrity in public discourse, did/would you vote for this way for a semi-released product, even if it is just an audience popularity poll where your vote gets anonymously mixed with millions and it doesn't matter anyway because who gives a dang about awards, would you have voted Halo Infinite GOTY 18 days into a portion of it being made playable?

...Or would still you be hesitant to pull that lever until you knew what was actually in the game?

Stopped reading at “no salt…”

No shit?

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

You, a former games journalist, a Gold Member-certified writer on GAF, a person who from reading your posts I assume holds his opinion to a high degree of personal integrity in public discourse, did/would you vote for this way for a semi-released product, even if it is just an audience popularity poll where your vote gets anonymously mixed with millions and it doesn't matter anyway because who gives a dang about awards, would you have voted Halo Infinite GOTY 18 days into a portion of it being made playable?

...Or would still you be hesitant to pull that lever until you knew what was actually in the game?

Yes I voted for it.

I would've put them in this order:
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Forza Horizon 5
  3. Metroid Dread
  4. Resident Evil Village
  5. It Takes Two

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe. You'd have to respect if everybody in unison straight-out said, "This Multiplayer Beta is so good that it's my GOTY". (Of course, that was not the unanimous response of the Halo community... but then again, if it wasn't being played a lot, there's be no reason for complaints.) And it could be argued that players didn't have much time between the Multiplayer Beta launch on the 15th (with the Tech Tests before that, but they weren't as polished as the MP is now) and the vote opening on Dec 2, but then again, FH5 had only released on Nov 5, so only 10 days more playtime. If it had specified "Halo Infinite Multiplayer", then there would have been no discussion, but the voting system was just a bunch of keyart and the name/developer (I believe the screenshot below was the Player's Voice voting page?) and the keyart for Halo Infinite appears to be Master Chief, not a MP screenshot, but Halo is Halo and a portion of it was playable, so it's fair to be eligible.

game-of-the-year-tga-2020.jpg

We don't really know what criteria the audience voted for, though. There was just a poll that had 30 names, and people clicked Halo Infinite for whatever reason they had at the time. Maybe MP, maybe hype for the full game after seeing previews (although I know I've seen you among the comments mentioning, "Is there more to this game than what they've shown, where's the animals and beaches?" and getting muddled response that shows people still didn't get a full idea of the campaign until reviews,) maybe just sheer name recognition. You don't really know ever what criteria an audience is using to judge, which is one of the interesting things to try and figure out the factors involved when you read an audience poll... but it's particularly eye-raising here because you know what criterial the audience is NOT using, which is how good the actual overall game is...

No shit?
What difference does it make if Halo was MP only?

Some of my fav games every year are old COD games. I never played the SP either in many of them. Didn't even boot up SP once just to pass the first act. I beelined to MP.

Lots of people who plays sports or racers are the same. Many dont touch solo seasons against the AI and go right to online league play.

So any gamer that only plays MP (regardless if SP mode is out yet or not) cant vote on a favourite game? Players have to play SP and MP in every game?

Batiman

Banned

Some of my fav games every year are old COD games. I never played the SP either in many of them. Didn't even boot up SP once just to pass the first act. I beelined to MP.

Lots of people who plays sports or racers are the same. Many dont touch solo seasons against the AI and go right to online league play.

So any gamer that only plays MP (regardless if SP mode is out yet or not) cant vote on a favourite game? Players have to play SP and MP in every game?
Exactly. Titanfall 1 was my goty that year

Rockman33

I know it's a "popularity" contest - just seems weird considering all the heat it got couple of weeks ago..

I think most people who've played Metroid Dread, know it should've won - but it's not F2P - and there in lies the popularity. Can't wait to see how the player's voice award evolves over the next couple of years. F2P games across the board - or you don't stand a chance as a publisher?
From someone who’s played dread I don’t even think it deserves to be on this list. I realize it’s a unpopular opinion. If it wasn’t called Metroid I don’t believe it would be getting close to the same amount of praise. I think both orris and hallow knight are substantially better.

Topher

Gold Member
That’s my list as well. Would switch RE for psychonauts 2 though

Still playing Halo Infinite, but so far my top 5 would be:

1. Mass Effect Legendary Edition
2. Ratchet and Clank
3. Halo Infinite (in progress)
4. Psychonauts 2
5. Guardians of the Galaxy

reksveks

Tell me, what do you award the Best Movie of 2022, The Batman or Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse? I know none neither is finished yet, not even edited or watchable in any form, but the trailers are out, and that's enough, right?
Kinda bad analogy it's closer to voting for Dune or LOTR:Fellowship of the Rings as a movies in thier respective years. Both were one part of a larger series of movies and at least one definitely had things cut from the initial release. Both like Halo, had the bits that was released praised very highly.

DaGwaphics

But that's not "thinking", friend, that's "imagining". Imagine what deserve an award, and then just give it to them. Don't put any thought into it, just reach up into your head and pull out your choice from the clouds.

Tell me, what do you award the Best Movie of 2022, The Batman or Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse? I know none neither is finished yet, not even edited or watchable in any form, but the trailers are out, and that's enough, right? Just think about it...

I don't follow these awards closely, what was the cutoff day for voting for the players choice? It was before the Halo multi-player was even out?

If yes, that is kind of funny I'll admit. Like those reviews you see (good or bad) about products that haven't shipped yet.

If Halo MP and FH5 were both out before the deadline, I don't see what the problem is. Haven't played Halo yet, but FH5 is certainly solid. Plus, as with any viewers choice thing, I can see release dates factoring in. People tend to be very "what did you do for me lately" with everything, from TV, to Music, Movies, etc. So the fact that Halo MP and FH5 were good and released so recently probably helped.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
We're getting excited or upset over popularity contests now? The same people voting for this are the same that voted in that awful IGN poll earlier this year.

GG Halo. I don't really care for the feel of Infinite, but I'm glad Halo's future is secured.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yes I voted for it.

Fair enough, for what it's worth I'm a little surprised though that you wouldn't abstain, but you've got your personal criteria.

...So any gamer that only plays MP (regardless if SP mode is out yet or not) cant vote on a favourite game? Players have to play SP and MP in every game?

No, awarding MP is fine. If this was an overwhelming outpouring of love from players after enjoying Halo Infinite MP, then it is what it is and respect to the community for coming out to champion it.

Given the timing and the mixed feedback on the Public Beta, though, I think it's weird to celebrate this award as a coronation of the game. There's folks here saying that it's proof reviews are meaningless because audiences know better, that's funny to me because this audience literally could only know so much about the game before a vote. People on this thread asserting that the MP content really does stand as their personal GOTY choice is much more informative than an audience vote. If we just took this as the whatever-it's-a-peoples-choice-award that it is, and we just talked about Halo some more, then that'd be much better to me than us arguing about how credible the award itself is.

Kinda bad analogy it's closer to voting for Dune or LOTR:Fellowship of the Rings as a movies in thier respective years. Both were one part of a larger series of movies and at least one definitely had things cut from the initial release. Both like Halo, had the bits that was released praised very highly.

Heh, not at all, The Batman and Spider-Verse 2 were chosen specifically...

Because if you had a choice now on Best Movie of 2022 before 2022 even started, maybe that same kind of thinking back when choosing Best Movie of 2007 or 2012 would have led to premature awards for Spider-Man 3 or Dark Knight Rises based on how highly praised every bit of those larger series and leadup material were... until you actually saw those movies.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I don't follow these awards closely, what was the cutoff day for voting for the players choice? It was before the Halo multi-player was even out?

If yes, that is kind of funny I'll admit. Like those reviews you see (good or bad) about products that haven't shipped yet.

If Halo MP and FH5 were both out before the deadline, I don't see what the problem is.

Halo Infinite MP released Nov 15, and voting started Dec 2. So people had a good 18 days (and a holiday weekend, for some, which would have been either good or bad for playtime depending on the person) to play the MP before the first round of votes. FH5 was only out 10 days more than that, so can't really say that one had ample time to be fully considered and the other wasn't "out" long enough.

...I guess this is a little like Gerstmann's "The End of Reviews", where there's a question of, Shouldn't we be doing things different, now that everything has changed? It's funny, isn't it? A Public Beta is up for GOTY, it's attached to a SP Campaign that nobody had played yet but lots of people will skip past anyway for the MP, writers and users are posting scored reviews with in-depth analysis for a product that's basically "free" to a good percentage of the audience, there's missing features of this game planned to be added later and there will be DLC and updates that evolve it over a long time to come so opinions will always be liquid across the history of the product... the old ways of saying, "This thing I played is good, you should go buy it", they don't apply so cleanly anymore.

Of all the things to fix in the world, let us PLEASE not spend our time and lives trying to perfect audience choice awards, but it's something to think about, maybe?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Halo Infinite MP released Nov 15, and voting started Dec 2. So people had a good 18 days (and a holiday weekend, for some, which would have been either good or bad for playtime depending on the person) to play the MP before the first round of votes. FH5 was only out 10 days more than that, so can't really say that one had ample time to be fully considered and the other wasn't "out" long enough.

...I guess this is a little like Gerstmann's "The End of Reviews", where there's a question of, Shouldn't we be doing things different, now that everything has changed? A Public Beta is up for GOTY, it's attached to a SP Campaign that nobody has played but lots of people will skip past anyway for the MP, writers and users are posting scored reviews with in-depth analysis for a product that's basically "free" to a good percentage of the audience, there's missing features of this game planned to be added later and there will be DLC and updates that evolve it over a long time to come so opinions will always be liquid across the history of the product... the old ways of saying, "This thing I played is good, you should go buy it", they don't apply so cleanly anymore.

Of all the things to fix in the world, let us PLEASE not spend our time and lives trying to perfect People's Choice awards, but it's something to think about, maybe?

Totally. Like I said, I'm an Xbox fan and I can see how the MS titles releasing so close to the voting might have skewed things. You see that with Music/Movies too, where a big title that released 11 months before the vote doesn't win a fan vote because some other big title is fresher in peoples minds.

Still great for the devs. And I'll personally be filing this information away for when someone says the MS titles didn't get any GOTY awards. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

CamHostage

You see that with Music/Movies too, where a big title that released 11 months before the vote doesn't win a fan vote because some other big title is fresher in peoples minds.

Heh, timing is always tough and awards always have something to discuss in how they were chosen... but it would help if Game of the Year was something decided after the year's games were all out.

But then again, where would we get all those trailers from?

(There's probably even a good chance that there will be at least one surprise-drop during TGAs of something hitting digital tonight. An out-of-nowhere GOTY candidate? Probably not, but heck, there's people out there who say PT was their favorite game of that year, and we didn't know that was coming until it was suddenly there, so surprises can come as a surprise.)

Last edited:

Tschumi

that was quick...

i know i did a 'greatest games ever' poll on another forum about a decade ago, shortly after portal came out, and portal was, on accumulation of votes, like the 3rd best game of all time according to hundreds of forum voters... fresh in the mind...

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Like?

Name another game that generated more buzz, and should have won instead.

Any of the games on the Opencritic Hall of Fame. This is silly; it is one thing to enjoy HI for what it is providing, it is another thing to suggest there was such a dearth of gaming this year that HI is the clear out and out winner.

. . .fanboying indeed.

We're getting excited or upset over popularity contests now? The same people voting for this are the same that voted in that awful IGN poll earlier this year.

GG Halo. I don't really care for the feel of Infinite, but I'm glad Halo's future is secured.

It is odd the level of insufferable some folks have gotten towards HALO's release; like it's not "Oh boy I'm glad this game I've having fun in is getting the recognition I think it deserves" and more "Ha peasants! You think you know gaming! Gaming in 2021 didn't exist before 12/8/21!" Just odd.

Last edited:

RafterXL

No salt, it's the "accurate" people, pointing out the simple fact that it's silly for an audience to vote for a game it hadn't played. It's very funny and very pointless. (Pointless to argue about, too, but here we are, what else have we got to do today?)

If Forza Horizon 5 had won, that would been entirely justified and sensible, and a woot for Xbox.

The people who voted Halo didn't "imagine" anything. They voted based on the multiplayer. This angle that people voted based on the campaign they didn't play is 100% copium.

How about you just accept the fact that a F2P multiplayer game beat out whatever game you wanted to win, and deal with it instead of inventing scenarios that didn't happen? People have been playing the multiplayer for a month now, that's what they voted for, and that's why your counter example makes no sense whatsoever.

Any of the games on the Opencritic Hall of Fame. This is silly; it is one thing to enjoy HI for what it is providing, it is another thing to suggest there was such a dearth of gaming this year that HI is the clear out and out winner.

. . .fanboying indeed.

It is odd the level of insufferable some folks have gotten towards HALO's release; like it's not "Oh boy I'm glad this game I've having fun in is getting the recognition I think it deserves" and more "Ha peasants! You think you know gaming! Gaming in 2021 didn't exist before 12/8/21!" Just odd.
Yeah, that's what's odd, not the legion of salty babies that are mad Halo won. /s

Top Bottom