• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo MCC getting 120FPS support for Series X|S

lachesis

Only Halo game that I finished was original Xbox Halo 1. Halo 2, I think I started but don't remember if I finished. Halo3 on 360, started but never passed the first few missions, and never bothered with the series since then. I think I may give them a chance when I get around to it. :)

Jigga117

Sorry, I got this on PC, no way I spend more time on these games.

Anyway, how many of you guys actually have HDMI 2.1 120hz TVs?
I have two 55 & 77C9. Not sure why people think the capability hasn’t been out there for the past two years. Samsung and LG have been in front of this now for their models. Plus plenty of TVs that can do 1440p@120hz since 2015 so at least at that resolution older displays still benefit

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It will sort the frame pacing because the frames will only be 8ms, even if the frame pacing is patchy it will be hard to notice.

Khasha

Neo Member
I love me some 120fps but is it possible to make any difference with a controller and not a mouse in any FPS?

Most certainly it is. Games such as Halo MCC or Star Wars Squadrons are a few examples of superior controller functionality in a competitive crossplatform environment. A bit off topic but i noticed that the CoD pro league in 2021 is going to be PC based with CONTROLLERS ONLY.

I have two 55 & 77C9. Not sure why people think the capability hasn’t been out there for the past two years. Samsung and LG have been in front of this now for their models. Plus plenty of TVs that can do 1440p@120hz since 2015 so at least at that resolution older displays still benefit
Maybe I should look into it, but my TV is nowhere near the high end.

Moses85

If you don’t have great in-house Next Gen Titels to offer, you bring old great games back and spend them some improvements.

giphy.gif

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I can tell you that the PC versions of MCC have been awesome. They all run so goddamn buttery smooth. If they can get it to run well on S/X then those people are in for a treat.

If you don’t have great in-house Next Gen Titels to offer, you bring old great games back and spend them some improvements.

giphy.gif

We all know it's mostly gonna be a port of the PC code. Which is fine. They are ALL blockbuster games and them running like smooth butter out of a baby's asshole is just a cherry on top. I'd make the argument that neither console has "must-have" titles for launch. They both have just "ok" titles for launch.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
The amount of upgrades that Microsoft are giving us for free is very impressive, they could have made a charge or claim it's a "remaster".

It's great to see Series S matching that 120fps too.

Moses85

I can tell you that the PC versions of MCC have been awesome. They all run so goddamn buttery smooth. If they can get it to run well on S/X then those people are in for a treat.

We all know it's mostly gonna be a port of the PC code. Which is fine. They are ALL blockbuster games and them running like smooth butter out of a baby's asshole is just a cherry on top. I'd make the argument that neither console has "must-have" titles for launch. They both have just "ok" titles for launch.

So Spider-Man and Demon Souls are just ok..

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

MrS

Banned
Very cool imo. Looking forward to going through MCC when I eventually get XSX and 120fps will be wild.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It sure would be nice to know - looking at you MS, is that 120fps on the S at 1080P or 1440P? And at 60fps what resolution?

BigLee74

Just give me 4k 60fps. Ever since they added reach, the Halo CE and Halo 2 campaigns have run like crap in anniversary graphics mode...and that's on the One X!

120hz is great but I don't think people realise your TV will have to support it to even use it. I see a lot of upset people soon since not everyone can afford the TV's that usually have 120hz modes.

People can still benefit 120fps mode with 60hz TV. While you won't be able to see it visually, there is an improvement with input latency.

Whether that's worth the sacrifice in graphics is another story but since MCC is a collection of older games, the trade off won't be too bad.

Jigga117

People can still benefit 120fps mode with 60hz TV. While you won't be able to see it visually, there is an improvement with input latency.

Whether that's worth the sacrifice in graphics is another story but since MCC is a collection of older games, the trade off won't be too bad.
If the tv is 60hz it is 60hz. Your not running 120hz if the panel itself isn’t 120hz. You don’t have the option to select it for that matter. I don’t understand what you mean it’s beneficial for input latency when the display is only 60hz

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
If the tv is 60hz it is 60hz. Your not running 120hz if the panel itself isn’t 120hz. You don’t have the option to select it for that matter. I don’t understand what you mean it’s beneficial for input latency when the display is only 60hz
It's beneficial in the sense that it's still sending out a 120hz signal from the console so response time of the controller is based on that and not 60hz. Kinda like upscaling but with input latency instead of resolution.

Though i'd wager that if most of ya'll have a 4k 60hz TV than it'll probably do 1080p 120hz. My tv does at least. Though, you wouldn't catch me playing this on my tv over my monitor.

Lort

Banned

For games that poll based on input frequency ( many do) there will be less latency on change ( the change happens 120 times a second ).

Some games like forza poll at way higher frequency than the display so the gane feels much smoother and more responsive to play.

Last edited:

Banned
It's beneficial in the sense that it's still sending out a 120hz signal from the console so response time of the controller is based on that and not 60hz. Kinda like upscaling but with input latency instead of resolution.

Though i'd wager that if most of ya'll have a 4k 60hz TV than it'll probably do 1080p 120hz. My tv does at least. Though, you wouldn't catch me playing this on my tv over my monitor.

the games only have a 120fps option if your console is set to 120hz.
we saw this in the previews to Dirt 5, Halo will most likely work the same way

I'm not talking about the display. The frame rate is doubled so the inputs are registering faster which lowers the latency.

This is more common with PC gaming for fps like overwatch or counter strike.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
With the power of the X behind this, I'm surprised more people aren't excited. I mean this is one the most beloved franchises out there, and it's all the games too. (except halo 5?)

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
With the power of the X behind this, I'm surprised more people aren't excited. I mean this is one the most beloved franchises out there, and it's all the games too. (except halo 5?)
All games including ODST except Halo 5.

I'd chalk it up to already being on PC. Exactly what they are pitching here has already been done. By them no less. MCC was/is super cheap on PC and it doesn't require very heavy hardware overhead to get great performance so many I assume have tried it already. Or at least seen the footage of it running. Though it's kinda hard to get across how smooth 120hz is when the biggest video platform maxes out at 4k/60fps.

Last edited:
How many people have TV’s that can even do this? Like it’s gotta be a super small percentage right? Either way not a selling point for me

A welcome update for next gen, will be great to see a title I play regularly running on my new TV and taking advantage of the 4K/120fps etc.

I'm still waiting on region filter, being the most important as aspect of any update if you ask me.

Last edited:
I wonder does this mean they will fix the server issues for EU players?

For those not aware, currently you cannot choose to only play with people from your region to reduce lag.

If a single US based person is in either team/lobby then the game will default to US servers leaving 100ms+ ping for EU players which makes it pretty much unplayable.

At some point on 360 with Halo 3 I remember Bungie added an option to choose your region so that you could only play with people in your region, EU or US for example.

This has been sorely missing from MCC and basically makes online MP unplayable for EU based players unless you happen to be matched with an all EU team which only happens every so often.

If they fix that, which is a really simple fix, not sure why they are being so dumb/stubborn on it, then it will be a game changer.

I currently have MCC on PC with GamePass.

Top Bottom