• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is here to stay.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It’s a tool, one of many that can be used to generate a picture of how a game was received critically. A tool that can be used in conjunction with others to assist arriving at a conclusion. You believe it’s worthless for the reasons you mentioned. I believe it’s not worthless and works well in conjunction with additional info. I think we can live with that. I can, anyway.

As I have stated and as history has shown, it is a tool that it utterly worthless and can't show anything given how easy it is to abuse. It would be like using a tape measure that can randomly shift its margins whenever someone wills it. Completely worthless and something only brought up by warriors and children who need validation for their purchase decisions.

As I have stated and as history has shown, it is a tool that it utterly worthless and can't show anything given how easy it is to abuse. It would be like using a tape measure that can randomly shift its margins whenever someone wills it. Completely worthless and something only brought up by warriors and children who need validation for their purchase decisions.
We don’t have to agree. I appreciated this conversation tho.

Azurro

Banned

I hate that I am making a thread linking just a tweet, but atleast it's an official tweet.

I appreciate they have nipped the rumours in the bud.

Looking forward to the future of halo myself, I hope they can get a traditional progression system in infinite soon & get a steady stream of new content, as I genuinely really enjoy the game.

And hopefully I get my endless story one day, whether it's an expansion or standalone game.

❤️

Edit:
I probably should've guessed I'd be the only person happy about it here 🤷‍♂️

It doesn't say they'll continue to support Halo Infinite though, they only mentioned Halo. :p

Fantastic fucking news. And I can only imagine the type of people who are upset about this after Halo Infinite's Campaign released as easily one of the very best games in the entire fucking franchise, and the most ambitious Campaign by far. I'm happy they communicated this clearly. People are absolutely tired of people who, clearly in a lot of cases, are not actually fans of Halo saying but "stop doing Halo games" or "give it to another team."

Who thinks it's a smart idea to take Halo away from the best fucking team on the planet for Halo? This isn't me saying no other studio in the world can make a great Halo game. I'm sure there is, but what you don't do is take it from the team most dedicated to Halo, its lore, and the overall universe.

343 Industries has never, not once, made a bad game in their entire existence. Things weren't even all perfect in past Halo games, and they need not be all perfect in 343i's either, but every game 343i has made has been a high quality Halo universe gaming experience.
Halo Infinite more ambitious than Halo 2 and 3? It's not a great game. It's an empty, unfinished open world game thats overly repetitive and has the same type of missions and encounters throughout. It has a paper thin narrative and story too.

What is ambitious about it? Can you call an empty, unfinished open world ambitious?

At least Halo is now in proven to be capable hands e.g. Hoberman for Tatanka and Hintze for all other Infinite. Good to see the dudes responsible for classic Halo, XBL and bringing it online as well as redeveloping MCC back from the dead ass broken piece of shit it was to current day glory are now steering the 343 ship and game releases. Yes to the fuck.

My friends and I looking at Halo right now -

tumblr_oje782fQMD1ql5ieso1_500.gif

Hope, not hype. Steady. Easy. Fingers crossed.

vj27

Banned
Misusing metacritic scores and GOTY like you are doing is just a bad take. As is pretending any of this is makes a game "objectively great". If you want to say the game reviewed well then fine, but reviews are tools used by those who are deciding what games to play. I played Halo Infinite fully. I don't need a metacritic score to form my own opinion. And nothing you've said negates anyone else's opinion so what good is any of it? Just a defense mechanism? I don't get it.
Aight bro agree to disagree then lol. I said why it was great regarding the actual gameplay (that just so happens to be the highlights of majority of it's reviews, ik right who would've thought 😮) but just ignore that part sure. If you wanna go into super semantics then you can just YouTube halos launch the majority opinion was that it's great just barebones. Whatever metric helps you sleep at night, like i said earlier idrc I was just stating facts so we could avoid the name calling but I guess not.
As I have always said. Anyone who tries to use GotY/MetaCritic/Opencritic (or any similar service) as any metric is a console warrior or someone who desperately needs validation of their own purchase decisions.
Wow you’re so cool never needing a review, I’m sorry to offend you with my metacritic reading self. Bro where on a fucking gaming forum no shit people use meta and reviews. That's like being in a book club and being mad whenever someone brings up reviews for said books. Y'all just weird lol, cuz I'm not going to go into your history an see if you ever looked or commented on a review, but odds are since this is again, a gaming forum, you probably did.

I'll never claim reviews are the be all end all, that's why I mentioned neogafs game of the year (and to YouTube the general consensus of it's launch) that you casually ignored but regardless I'm not wrong so, yeah, agree to disagree and cope and all that. Guys acting like there's no such thing as a general consensus...

Fantastic fucking news. And I can only imagine the type of people who are upset about this after Halo Infinite's Campaign released as easily one of the very best games in the entire fucking franchise, and the most ambitious Campaign by far. I'm happy they communicated this clearly. People are absolutely tired of people who, clearly in a lot of cases, are not actually fans of Halo saying but "stop doing Halo games" or "give it to another team."

Who thinks it's a smart idea to take Halo away from the best fucking team on the planet for Halo? This isn't me saying no other studio in the world can make a great Halo game. I'm sure there is, but what you don't do is take it from the team most dedicated to Halo, its lore, and the overall universe.

343 Industries has never, not once, made a bad game in their entire existence. Things weren't even all perfect in past Halo games, and they need not be all perfect in 343i's either, but every game 343i has made has been a high quality Halo universe gaming experience.

Listen, I'm not one to reply with memes/snarky remarks/drive-by shitposting but, with all due respect, everytime you post, it really, really feels like you're trying to do some uber-weird damage control , it's gotten to the point where it feels like you're definitely an astroturfer and it has become so very tiring, comical and...pathetic by now.

Either try being more discreet or, I don't know, stop posting all together 'cause there's definitely an agenda behind your account's existence.

Sorry for being blunt but...yeah

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Aight bro agree to disagree then lol. I said why it was great regarding the actual gameplay (that just so happens to be the highlights of majority of it's reviews, ik right who would've thought 😮) but just ignore that part sure. If you wanna go into super semantics then you can just YouTube halos launch the majority opinion was that it's great just barebones. Whatever metric helps you sleep at night, like i said earlier idrc I was just stating facts so we could avoid the name calling but I guess not.

lol......"agree to disagree" but first let me disagree some more. lol....ok. You are missing the point. I have no problem with you thinking the game is great or your reasons for it. You are the one who keep throwing up the opinions of others like metacritic and now Youtube as if they somehow objective truths. Why in the world should any of that matter to people who have played the game? Especially when we are talking about a game that was supposed to become much more than it was at launch.

And I have not called you any names at all so no idea where that is coming from.

Wow you’re so cool never needing a review, I’m sorry to offend you with my metacritic reading self. Bro where on a fucking gaming forum no shit people use meta and reviews. That's like being in a book club and being mad whenever someone brings up reviews for said books.

That's exactly what it is like. Imagine how annoying that would be. Everyone is talking about the book except one person keeps telling them they are wrong because of what some reviewers said.

DaGwaphics

If you look at the opinions of real Halo players (on the Halo specific forums and reddit, etc.), the game play loop for Halo Infinite is fine and the campaign was well received. But like all campaigns, you play that and then you are done with it. To have legs you need the multi-player to shine and that is where Infinite has struggled. Which is certainly strange since that was supposed to be the focus of the title this time around (the GaaS elements).

The restructuring at the studio is likely a good move, it's time for them to make changes there. It simply wasn't working as it was. And, maybe that does also mean they need to change things up a bit further up the management chain as well. They often tout that they give the studios freedom to make the games they want, but it may be time to take a bit of that freedom away from 343. At least to the point where they are more focused and get more done (if there is any truth to the rumors about a lack of management focus at the studio).

AJUMP23

I think putting out this statement is more worrisome than saying nothing. Why do people need to be assured that a premier franchise is still being made.

Chukhopops

I think putting out this statement is more worrisome than saying nothing. Why do people need to be assured that a premier franchise is still being made.
Because of rumors saying otherwise being posted on sites like Kotaku?

Saying nothing would be basically admission of those rumors in the eyes of the majority.
If you look at the opinions of real Halo players (on the Halo specific forums and reddit, etc.), the game play loop for Halo Infinite is fine and the campaign was well received. But like all campaigns, you play that and then you are done with it. To have legs you need the multi-player to shine and that is where Infinite has struggled. Which is certainly strange since that was supposed to be the focus of the title this time around (the GaaS elements).
I agree that HI multiplayer is still below previous iterations. I played H5 for years simply because of the amazing PVE and PVPVE modes, not having those in Infinite is a shame.

anthony2690

Banned
Listen, I'm not one to reply with memes/snarky remarks/drive-by shitposting but, with all due respect, everytime you post, it really, really feels like you're trying to do some uber-weird damage control , it's gotten to the point where it feels like you're definitely an astroturfer and it has become so very tiring, comical and...pathetic by now.

Either try being more discreet or, I don't know, stop posting all together 'cause there's definitely an agenda behind your account's existence.

I mean some of the stuff he says is true.

I do not think 343 have not put out a bad video game, some may feel they are not the best halo games, but non of the games are actually bad.

& A lot of posters do just seem to hate on 343 no matter what they do, don't get me wrong some of the criticism and complaints are definitely valid, as much as I love infinite I have my complaints and issues.

But Halo Infinite literally won the fan vote for game of the year at the TGA & neogafs game of the year in 2021, when it came out people obviously loved the game.

But post launch support has been abysmal & has left a lot to be desired.

Whilst I've personally enjoyed 343's Halo games more than Bungies, despite growing up with Bungies halo and having a lot of nostalgia.

I feel his comment on 343 being the best dev for halo, comes down to preference.

I'm just going over the bits you bolded of the commenter you attacked.

I haven't really seen many of their other comments, so maybe the attack is valid, but still a little harsh.

But it just seems like a dude that loves Halo sharing his opinion, like many others do with titles/ips they like or dislike.

Last edited:

TheMan

Sad state of affairs.

All I can say is that MS better bring it with their other first party games this year. They've been lagging so badly in this regard for so long.

I mean some of the stuff he says is true.

I do not think 343 have not put out a bad video game, some may feel they are not the best halo games, but non of the games are actually bad.

& A lot of posters do just seem to hate on 343 no matter what they do, don't get me wrong some of the criticism and complaints are definitely valid, as much as I love infinite I have my complaints and issues.

But Halo Infinite literally won the fan vote for game of the year at the TGA & neogafs game of the year in 2021, when it came out people obviously loved the game.

But post launch support has been abysmal & has left a lot to be desired.

Whilst I've personally enjoyed 343's Halo games more than Bungies, despite growing up with Bungies halo and having a lot of nostalgia.

I feel his comment on 343 being the best dev for halo, comes down to preference.

I'm just going over the bits you bolded of the commenter you attacked.

I haven't really seen many of their other comments, so maybe the attack is valid, but still a little harsh.

But it just seems like a dude that loves Halo sharing his opinion, like many others do with titles/ips they like or dislike.
Anthony, I don't "hate" 343 nor Halo, in fact the 343 games were at the very least decent, then again, I'm not the biggest Halo fan, I mean, I played them all and enjoyed them (to various degrees) and I also understand that it's the game (franchise) that revolutionized online MP in the console space but, dunno man, even then, I always felt that they were way, way overhyped for what they were.
Regarding Infinite, it was one of the blandest and emptiest open world check-list games of the past few years - yes, the controls and shooting feeling were nice and smooth but other than that I found it to be incredibly mediocre due to the - again - lifeless, empty and boring grey-and-green open-world, the small number of enemy types that you could count them on the hand of a teenage mutant ninja turtle, the fact that the "Banished" were incredibly dull/boring, the boring, empty copy-paste "dungeons"/structures, and the lack of forge, small map number and...battle pass when it comes to the MP, I don't know nor understand how it got all those "awards" but this game was one of the most unfinished "AAA" products of the past few years, the whole experience was just so underwhelming and forgettable that I don't know what else to say.

As for Senjutsu, he can say whatever he wants to say but the whole thing comes off as incredibly obnoxious since everything reads like PR/damage control at best and astroturfing at worst and that's most definitely not "cool".
Cheers

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Anthony, I don't "hate" 343 nor Halo, in fact the 343 games were at the very least decent, then again, I'm not the biggest Halo fan ever, I mean, I played them all and enjoyed them (to various degrees) and I also understand that it's the game that revolutionized online MP in the console space but, dunno man, even then, I always felt that they were way, way overhyped for what they were.
Regarding Infinite, it was one of the blandest and empty open world check-list games of the past few years, yes, the controls and shooting feel were nice but other than that I found it to be incredibly mediocre due to the - again - lifeless, empty and boring grey and green open-world, the small number of enemy type that you could count it on the hand of a teenage mutant ninja turtle, the fact that the "Banished" were incredibly dull/boring, the boring, empty copy-paste "dungeons"/structures, and the lack of forge, small map number and...battle pass for when it comes to the MP, I don't know nor understand how it got all those "awards" but this game was one of the most unfinished "AAA" products of the past few years, the whole experience was just so underwhelming and forgettable that I don't know what else to say.

As for Senjutsu, he can say whatever he wants to say but the whole thing comes off as incredibly obnoxious since everything reads like PR/damage control at best and astroturfing at worst and that's most definitely not "cool".
Cheers
Hey man, that is your opinion on the game and I'm not going to tell you to think otherwise, your opinion on the game is completely valid.

I also agree with the dungeons being samey, I wish there was more variety and biomes in general.

The gameplay itself I really really enjoyed though, I imagine the enjoyable multiplayer after the disappointing bf2042 and vanguard helped them win the awards, obviously the momentum has since been lost since poor post launch support. (I think many, myself included had a lot of faith, as it was released with the early access/beta title at the time)

& Ah okay, guess I'll keep an eye out for his posts, his above one didn't seem to bad to me though.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Cut the cord and move on. You just rebooted it and it didnt really take.

Just go and make a new IP. Create the next destiny. Innovate. This way you wont have to worry about millions of angry fans complaining about how you ruined their childhoods. Just move the fuck on. Imagine if ND was still making Jak and Daxter.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
the campaign while decent felt like there was/is gonna be more to it. it feels like a half finished game. I enjoyed it a lot but felt like there would be more coming

I'm actually wondering if he's some sort of weird parody account. Maybe I'm just putting a tin foil hat on for that theory. But he's certainly very strange.

Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

Maybe he's genuine with his feelings. But it also seems like he's making fun of Xbox fans by going to the extremes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Wow you’re so cool never needing a review, I’m sorry to offend you with my metacritic reading self. Bro where on a fucking gaming forum no shit people use meta and reviews. That's like being in a book club and being mad whenever someone brings up reviews for said books. Y'all just weird lol, cuz I'm not going to go into your history an see if you ever looked or commented on a review, but odds are since this is again, a gaming forum, you probably did.

I'll never claim reviews are the be all end all, that's why I mentioned neogafs game of the year (and to YouTube the general consensus of it's launch) that you casually ignored but regardless I'm not wrong so, yeah, agree to disagree and cope and all that. Guys acting like there's no such thing as a general consensus...

Dj Khaled Congratulations GIF

the_master

Not true. It is publishers that measure the success based on these parameters and developers have often been outspoken in how nonsensical they are for the reasons I stated above. Especially when those same publishers tie bonuses and funding to those numbers.
I am telling you that most developers (as in developer studios) use metacritic and/or open critic (favour open critic actually) as one of the inputs to evaluate the quality of gmes they make. That is a fact.

Another thing is a developer, as n individual, complaining about themselves being evaluated by the metacritic of the hames he worked on, which is indeed unfair.

You my disgree with metcritic. I often do myself, but it is one of the most acurate toos there are to take such measurements.

Alesimage

Banned
This is great. Can't wait for the new content and upcoming battle royale mode. Battle royale games still dominate so a halo version should do incredible.

Reave

The worst “good news” I’ve seen in a long time.

343i’s continued involvement (in really any capacity) with the Halo IP will only perpetuate the problems that have plagued the franchise ever since they took over.

Kvally

Banned
This is great. Can't wait for the new content and upcoming battle royale mode. Battle royale games still dominate so a halo version should do incredible.
I am looking forward to the new content as well. Not Battle Royale, but new story content and new releases.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am telling you that most developers (as in developer studios) use metacritic and/or open critic (favour open critic actually) as one of the inputs to evaluate the quality of gmes they make. That is a fact.

Another thing is a developer, as n individual, complaining about themselves being evaluated by the metacritic of the hames he worked on, which is indeed unfair.

You my disgree with metcritic. I often do myself, but it is one of the most acurate toos there are to take such measurements.

Me: Makes list of reasons why the results obtained from using Metacritic as a "tool" is inherently inaccurate
You: "Nah, it is totes accurate bro!"

Logic.

the_master

Me: Makes list of reasons why the results obtained from using Metacritic as a "tool" is inherently inaccurate
You: "Nah, it is totes accurate bro!"

Logic.
I am stating the fact that it is a used tool by dev companies. I don't say it is totally accurate, but it does provide useful data.

Dutchy

I am stating the fact that it is a used tool by dev companies. I don't say it is totally accurate, but it does provide useful data.
The only useful data brought forth by critic scores is the initial perception/honeymoon phase of a game imho. Little wiggle room for post-release developer support or any other cracks that start to fall through. Something that should definitely be taken into account for most multiplayer and live service games.

Looking back at the Halo Infinite release date and NeoGaf GOTY, I can see why it won. Just enough content to sustain itself for the 2~3 weeks of time people had to play it and to vote on it.

Top Bottom