• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is here to stay.

Moonjt9

Them keeping Halo just shows a complete lack of understanding on Microsoft’s part. Contrary to their intent, that tweet doesn’t inspire confidence for the future of Halo, it in fact gives the opposite effect.

TLZ

Banned
As much as 343 is to blame for timeline issues and missing features, the press and people on forums are the other half of the problem. They refuse to recognize anything 343 has done correctly.
It doesn't matter what 343 says or does from this point on, they will flam basted. They could deliver a 10/10 game on time and it would be declared defective, unfinished, and flawed.
You can't even argue it.
Have they ever delivered anything as good as 1-3 though? Since these are claimed legendary ones.

343 gave us Halo 4 Cortana which is……. 😍

Still unsure about Halo if 343 is at the helm. But maybe with this shakeup things will turn around, but they have a lot to prove though. Words only go so far. We now need action.

I’ll be hoping for the best. Hopefully 5th time is the charm. 👍🏻

Chukhopops

b0rgvg2.jpg

Same as the other rumors… even on Steam only it does more than that.

Glad to see the rumors shot down, it seems there was some restructuring to do at 343 so it’s a positive at least for the franchise.

Robb

Gold Member
I guess all we can hope for is that the studio will become more efficient and well managed over time..

Flutta

Banned
Fantastic fucking news. And I can only imagine the type of people who are upset about this after Halo Infinite's Campaign released as easily one of the very best games in the entire fucking franchise, and the most ambitious Campaign by far. I'm happy they communicated this clearly. People are absolutely tired of people who, clearly in a lot of cases, are not actually fans of Halo saying but "stop doing Halo games" or "give it to another team."

Who thinks it's a smart idea to take Halo away from the best fucking team on the planet for Halo? This isn't me saying no other studio in the world can make a great Halo game. I'm sure there is, but what you don't do is take it from the team most dedicated to Halo, its lore, and the overall universe.

343 Industries has never, not once, made a bad game in their entire existence. Things weren't even all perfect in past Halo games, and they need not be all perfect in 343i's either, but every game 343i has made has been a high quality Halo universe gaming experience.

Stop It Michael Jordan GIF

KungFucius

King Snowflake

I hate that I am making a thread linking just a tweet, but atleast it's an official tweet.

I appreciate they have nipped the rumours in the bud.

Looking forward to the future of halo myself, I hope they can get a traditional progression system in infinite soon & get a steady stream of new content, as I genuinely really enjoy the game.

And hopefully I get my endless story one day, whether it's an expansion or standalone game.

❤️

Edit:
I probably should've guessed I'd be the only person happy about it here 🤷‍♂️

It is necessary to post this when we have so many blatant fanboys posting pathetic crap like Sony should buy Halo crap. FFS is the MS's premiere franchise and Infinite was a good single player game. Personally I want more single player, as online is not something I care about.

Moses85

I hate that I am making a thread linking just a tweet, but atleast it's an official tweet.

Looking forward to the future of halo myself, I hope they can get a traditional progression system in infinite soon & get a steady stream of new content, as I genuinely really enjoy the game.

And hopefully I get my endless story one day, whether it's an expansion or standalone game.

❤️

Edit:

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

Spitfire098

Fantastic fucking news. And I can only imagine the type of people who are upset about this after Halo Infinite's Campaign released as easily one of the very best games in the entire fucking franchise, and the most ambitious Campaign by far. I'm happy they communicated this clearly. People are absolutely tired of people who, clearly in a lot of cases, are not actually fans of Halo saying but "stop doing Halo games" or "give it to another team."

Who thinks it's a smart idea to take Halo away from the best fucking team on the planet for Halo? This isn't me saying no other studio in the world can make a great Halo game. I'm sure there is, but what you don't do is take it from the team most dedicated to Halo, its lore, and the overall universe.

343 Industries has never, not once, made a bad game in their entire existence. Things weren't even all perfect in past Halo games, and they need not be all perfect in 343i's either, but every game 343i has made has been a high quality Halo universe gaming experience.
Half Baked Boo GIF

the_master

Scrap Slipspace. Move on to UE5 for Halo 6. Get help from The Coalition
No need to make another Unreal game.
I'd say: Keep working on Slipspace to the needs of the game
Also, I'd like to see a Halo Infinite 2 instead of more iterations of Infinite. I also care about the Story / coop mode 95% and multiplayer 5% or less

the_master

I genuinely don't understand the obsession people still have with this franchise.

The common opinion among fans is that every game Bungie developed from 2001 to 2010 (Reach) was good and every game after that (2012 until now) is bad, which means that this franchise has actually been worse longer than it has been good. Why would you care so much for a franchise that has been producing bad games for over a decade? It's the developers that made the game good, not the fact that it is "Halo". You're just connected to a name and a green armored character because that's what you played when you were in high school.

We don't need this franchise to be around. Put it on ice and start developing more interesting games.
Bungie made the best games of their time, 343 has made good games, but not as good yet, that is why fans are angry some times. 343i Halo games are still some of the best First Person Shooters, the problem is that the original trillogy in particular was way better than any other by far.

I want to see more Halo games. Hopefully another masterpiece, but I will be happy with a another good game like Infinite.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
That's what everyone will keep comparing them to, because that's what made Halo, Halo.

It's fine to compare them, but if a sequel isn't as good as its predecessor, it doesn't mean it's a bad game nor does it mean the next one will be bad. Just look at series like Tomb Raider for a perfect example.

And to be fair, Halo 1-3 was great but when you go back and replay it now you realize they have significant flaws too.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You can't satisfy everyone.

Also, halo fans anger is justified. Xbox allowed 343i to shit on their big IP.

Xbox needs to hold that loss, and move forward with a new studio, and ditch 343i. That is what I will do, if I was in Phil's position.
You really believe giving Halo, a polarizing, controversial property to another team would be the smart move here? Not a chance in hell.

Best thing to do is what's happening now. 343i has the most experience with Halo. Cut from the team who needs to be. Restructure. Rebuild. It minimizes risk. Keep moving forward. That's where the smart money is.

Besides, another team wouldn't please fanboys anyway.

Clearly Halo Infinite is a MAJOR disappointment to everyone. Consumers, media, developers, Hollywood, streamers, etc.

If it was me. For the sake of the franchise. I would Re-Release the original trilogy 1-3 with Halo 3 Multiplayer.

Release it on everything. Xbox, PC, Steam Deck, Nintendo and Sony. Mac even.

Have it be crossplay! Let people experience the story. Maybe it builds hype for the TV series. (Though, season 1 was a disaster).

And let 343 rebuild a new generation of Halo. Maybe it becomes a different genre of game for 343. Who knows. But it would instantly build “goodwill” for Halo fans everywhere. And hopefully create new fans, all the while letting MS profit off of the Halo IP. As they look for a new direction.

Release it everywhere. Let the world talk about how great Halo “was” and can be again. Let this trilogy carry the halo franchise forward for the next 5-6 years. While 343 regroups.

Last edited:

aries_71

Clearly Halo Infinite is a MAJOR disappointment to everyone. Consumers, media, developers, Hollywood, streamers, etc.

If it was me. For the sake of the franchise. I would Re-Release the original trilogy 1-3 with Halo 3 Multiplayer.

Have it be crossplay! Let people experience the story. Maybe it builds hype for the TV series. (Though, season 1 was a disaster).

And let 343 rebuild a new generation of Halo. Maybe it becomes a different genre of game for 343. Who knows. But it would instantly build “goodwill” for Halo fans everywhere. And hopefully create new fans, all the while letting MS profit off of the Halo IP. As they look for a new direction.

Release it everywhere. Let the world talk about how great Halo “was” and can be again. Let this trilogy carry the halo franchise forward for the next 5-6 years. While 343 regroups.
You are aware that the MCC exists, right?

clarky

Gold Member

We already have MCC, re releasing it on all platforms is almost as bad as the rest of your "ideas"

Im also disappointed that Hollywood for some reason is disappointed with Infinite. Bummer.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

What a sad, horrific, disguised port beg post.
The MCC has been going strong for 8+(!) years you goof.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Halo is the ultimate FPS to me, if it was acquired by Sony out of no where they would turn it into the biggest piece of media EVER.

LordOfChaos

It's nice to have some validation on the future, but "stories" can mean a lot of things, books, comics, other off game lore, it would be nice if they clarified single player DLC expansion is still coming.

flying_sq

Master Chief should have stayed dead. It was their chance to expand on the universe, but no we need someone recognizable for the cover.

levyjl1988

Banned
343i fell from the days when fans would send them pizza.
Remember those days.

Now all they get is hate because of poor game direction and upper management issues.
Halo 5 is what killed the Halo franchise for me personally. The story is shit. The TV show isn't faithful to to the franchise, even The Last of Us has a better adaptation.
Microsoft needs to learn.

REDRZA MWS

❤️

Edit:

You aren’t the only person here. I love Halo, Infinite and the series. Looking forward for whatever is to come 💪

Xenon

Are you seriously suggesting they release a Halo game without MP?

No, Multiplayer is pretty much now a service for most games. Halo multi player would always be there With major updates every 3-4 year but you will still have patching and smaller updates constantly. Of course when the campaign comes out they'll be some extras for the multiplayer to make it an event. But they're not trying to get two completely different focused games ready at launch the same day.

Is maybe 4 years between each is a bit much, 3 would probably work.

Instrumental role != lead role. If they're still on for future projects as a co-developer and acting as lore consultants but otherwise providing support, that still supports the idea of a downscale of sorts having occurred. The fact the single-player team has more or less been vacated, means they either re-hire for internal positions there or work with outside studios.

Considering other MS teams are in co-development statuses with outside teams, it's not a reach to see that could very well be happening with 343i. Who in that dynamic you consider the lead or the support might be down to your interpretation but I think the studio that has had a scattershot (at best) go at the storylines for Halo games since they took over the IP, should maybe act as support for an outside team better equipped to carry that side of things.

Lol no. But c'mon, we KNOW those rumors were in pertains to Halo Infinite. That Halo Infinite is basically "done", outside of MP content. Meaning most likely the 10-year grand vision plan is over. That there would be a shift to new Halo games (potentially smaller ones) to help explore ideas with the IP in terms of story and gameplay, and maybe we see a sequel to Infinite much sooner than 2031.

Because the way I read into everything regarding Infinite, MS's plans were to have it serve as the singular mainline Halo game for this generation. That's how I saw it, anyway. I also saw it as perhaps meaning there would be story DLC expansions; I mean if Gears can get them, why can't Halo? That would only make sense for a game that wants to sustain for a decade after release, especially since Halo isn't JUST about the multiplayer.

Which is exactly what I've been saying: they'll still be involved in future Halo games. But IMO, more as a support and consultation studio, for content generation, and primarily for multiplayer at least where Halo Infinite is concerned. For other Halo games, they'll be there to assist development and ensure lore accuracy.

That's been the whole point of my personal thought on it all: MS are giving Halo the Star Wars treatment. Collectives of smaller projects to expand the lore, explore new ideas, give some breathing room for mainline AAA games and potentially provide material to help with a soft reboot between Halo Infinite and the next big Halo game. 343i acting as technical & development support, and consultation.

Only difference between Halo and modern Star Wars being, since Halo Infinite is a live-service game, they (343i) will still be providing MP content for it. I was never on the "Halo is being sunsetted/343i are shutting down" train.

Thanks, but I can read English just fine 😉

Also...dude. You are definitely overreacting. No one wants Halo to die. Truth is, it's been dying for several years and the only way to fix that is with some real change.

All those GOTY awards, record player counts etc. don't mean anything when we can see the dwindling software sales, player counts, mindshare and goodwill of the franchise among even its most dedicated fans because of various mistakes.

Let some new blood take a stab at it. 343i can still be involved 👍

Like I said, you're trying too hard. Halo is still a very big deal. It's popularity on Xbox says so, it's popularity on Game Pass says so And despite the best wishes of people who do not like Halo, the games aren't going anywhere and neither is the studio responsible which has never made a single bad game yet regardless of many very bogus claims about the quality of the studio. We will likely get more stories in the Halo Universe in the form of games in different genres or just games with a different focus or with major development help from another studio like what has happened with Gears of War on 3 separate occasions. Epic partnered with People can Fly on Judgment, gave up IP to Coalition and Xbox. Splash Damage helped build Gears Tactics with Coalition. So it has been done before.

Hell, a combination of 20 game studios and development partners helped with Halo Infinite. Certain Affinity was a development partner on both Halo 4 and Halo Infinite. So it seems to me a lot of people are trying to make a big fuss over things that have basically already been going on in some form or another for years.

Nobody cares how we got great games in the Halo Universe, just so long as we keep getting great games in the Halo Universe and more Master Chief-focused stories.

Last edited:
Top Bottom