• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo is here to stay.

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
343 Industries Care Unit
nCi6sa1.jpg

still on life support.

But...this doesn't nip any of the rumors in the bud, actually.

No one, I mean NO ONE was saying Halo would cease to exist. That's crazy talk. The whole thing with the story DLC was probably a reach, but the real meat & potatoes of the rumor, IMO, were the implication of 343i being downscaled to a support & consultation group working with outside teams on future Halo content. 343i would continue with MP, aside from BR.

Also, and this is worth pointing out, realize that they did NOT specifically say 'Halo Infinite', just Halo? As in the franchise/IP? If they really wanted to squash the rumors a lot more, they could have specifically said Halo Infinite, but did not. And this is an official statement.

The way I read it, this is something of a soft affirmation of at least the meat of the rumors, since those were about outside devs making Halo content and 343i acting as technical & lore support (I would assume, as co-developers). Which honestly is still the best option for the IP to be revitalized back to something resembling its prime, put pride aside and do what's best for the franchise.

PnCIa

As much as i have been critical of 343 over the years, Infinite showed that they can get the basics very right. From what i can tell, they have hit rock bottom as a studio, when your bosses tell you to fire a large chunk of your workforce you have to adapt. From here on out, I hope they gain ground...having learned a lesson.

rapid32.5

They can always bring other studios for help. But they can’t work 6 years on the sequel with MS bank accounts. They need to instill confidence in Halo fans. Right now it looks like 343 is in disarray and desperate.

Last edited:

SHA

It's a bad time for fps fans , it seems everything related to fps is bad news , tbh , idgas , it's not like the old school classics will somehow magically be revived from the death with new sequels , but there'll always be a special place for them to come back and it won't be taken by a new fad ideas on fad platforms , I'm sorry , it's not going to happen.

I hate that I am making a thread linking just a tweet, but atleast it's an official tweet.

I appreciate they have nipped the rumours in the bud.

Looking forward to the future of halo myself, I hope they can get a traditional progression system in infinite soon & get a steady stream of new content, as I genuinely really enjoy the game.

And hopefully I get my endless story one day, whether it's an expansion or standalone game.

❤️

Edit:
I probably should've guessed I'd be the only person happy about it here 🤷‍♂️

I’m pretty happy. The multiplayer is great, I just wish they had a better story team. Bungie did great.

Fantastic fucking news. And I can only imagine the type of people who are upset about this after Halo Infinite's Campaign released as easily one of the very best games in the entire fucking franchise, and the most ambitious Campaign by far. I'm happy they communicated this clearly. People are absolutely tired of people who, clearly in a lot of cases, are not actually fans of Halo saying but "stop doing Halo games" or "give it to another team."

Who thinks it's a smart idea to take Halo away from the best fucking team on the planet for Halo? This isn't me saying no other studio in the world can make a great Halo game. I'm sure there is, but what you don't do is take it from the team most dedicated to Halo, its lore, and the overall universe.

343 Industries has never, not once, made a bad game in their entire existence. Things weren't even all perfect in past Halo games, and they need not be all perfect in 343i's either, but every game 343i has made has been a high quality Halo universe gaming experience.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Fantastic fucking news. And I can only imagine the type of people who are upset about this after Halo Infinite's Campaign released as easily one of the very best games in the entire fucking franchise, and the most ambitious Campaign by far. I'm happy they communicated this clearly. People are absolutely tired of people who, clearly in a lot of cases, are not actually fans of Halo saying but "stop doing Halo games" or "give it to another team."

Who thinks it's a smart idea to take Halo away from the best fucking team on the planet for Halo? This isn't me saying no other studio in the world can make a great Halo game. I'm sure there is, but what you don't do is take it from the team most dedicated to Halo, its lore, and the overall universe.

343 Industries has never, not once, made a bad game in their entire existence. Things weren't even all perfect in past Halo games, and they need not be all perfect in 343i's either, but every game 343i has made has been a high quality Halo universe gaming experience.
4bSQdC4.jpg

reinking

Gold Member
Did anyone in their right mind think Halo was going somewhere? It is still a popular franchise, warts and all. The question isn't about Halo disappearing. It is about how much involvement 343i will have in the future versions?

Three

?? They are just responding to feverish speculation and providing clarification. What a silly and unfounded conclusion to come to.
Not sure I would call this providing clarification though. The rumour wasn't that halo seizes to exist anymore or that master chief is not the main character anymore.

The rumour is that 343 are no longer doing active development and are now franchise coordinator. That some recent campaign DLC was canned and they will concentrate on MP, at least for this entry. The information we got was pretty specific.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rumo...s-on-mp-support.1650315/page-8#post-267374553

Rykan

I genuinely don't understand the obsession people still have with this franchise.

The common opinion among fans is that every game Bungie developed from 2001 to 2010 (Reach) was good and every game after that (2012 until now) is bad, which means that this franchise has actually been worse longer than it has been good. Why would you care so much for a franchise that has been producing bad games for over a decade? It's the developers that made the game good, not the fact that it is "Halo". You're just connected to a name and a green armored character because that's what you played when you were in high school.

We don't need this franchise to be around. Put it on ice and start developing more interesting games.

Last edited:
But...this doesn't nip any of the rumors in the bud, actually.

No one, I mean NO ONE was saying Halo would cease to exist. That's crazy talk. The whole thing with the story DLC was probably a reach, but the real meat & potatoes of the rumor, IMO, were the implication of 343i being downscaled to a support & consultation group working with outside teams on future Halo content. 343i would continue with MP, aside from BR.

Also, and this is worth pointing out, realize that they did NOT specifically say 'Halo Infinite', just Halo? As in the franchise/IP? If they really wanted to squash the rumors a lot more, they could have specifically said Halo Infinite, but did not. And this is an official statement.

The way I read it, this is something of a soft affirmation of at least the meat of the rumors, since those were about outside devs making Halo content and 343i acting as technical & lore support (I would assume, as co-developers). Which honestly is still the best option for the IP to be revitalized back to something resembling its prime, put pride aside and do what's best for the franchise.

You're reaching. They just told you with a gigantic ass 343 Industries logo to start it out that 343 Industries will continue to develop Halo now and in the future, including epic stories, multiplayer, and more of what makes Halo great. From the brand new studio head. Now you tell me exactly what is 343 Industries most known for doing as it pertains to Halo? Playing an instrumental role in the development of big mainline Halo titles. The other thing they do is playing an important role in supporting other studios in the creation of other games outside of the main Halo series and expanding the Halo universe through other forms of media.

Why the hell would they need to say Halo Infinite???? Had they said Halo Infinite you would literally be saying the exact opposite "Why did they say 'Halo Infinite', this tells you they clearly won't be working on another big and important new Halo universe games again."

Only here would people believe Microsoft is maintaining a massive ass development studio of over 500+ people (yes it's still that big if previous estimates of 750+ were to be believed) but they won't actually be developing any games. Even assuming it's only 300+, that's still a team that will continue having a role in building future Halo games including campaigns and multiplayer, according to the brand new Studio Head of 343I.

Let me help you out.

ECAKEP9.jpg

Naked Lunch

I genuinely don't understand the obsession people still have with this franchise.

The common opinion among fans is that every game Bungie developed from 2001 to 2010 (Reach) was good and every game after that (2012 until now) is bad, which means that this franchise has actually been worse longer than it has been good. Why would you care so much for a franchise that has been producing bad games for over a decade? It's the developers that made the game good, not the fact that it is "Halo". You're just connected to a name and a green armored character because that's what you played when you were in high school.

We don't need this franchise to be around. Put it on ice and start developing more interesting games.
So basically - you dont know jack shit about Halo.
Armchair QB it up.

Except this is all nonsense. Go look at the reviews for every 343i developed Halo title. Every game was reviewed as good as some of Sony's best first party exclusives. So your desires for a reality that doesn't exist does not agree with actual reality. 343i has yet to make a single bad game according to metacritic and most major game review sites, but millions have played and enjoy the games and just plain disagree with you.

Halo 4, Halo and Halo Infinite both had stronger, superior launches to Halo 3 or Halo Reach or Halo 3: ODST.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

I hate that I am making a thread linking just a tweet, but atleast it's an official tweet.

Looking forward to the future of halo myself, I hope they can get a traditional progression system in infinite soon & get a steady stream of new content, as I genuinely really enjoy the game.

And hopefully I get my endless story one day, whether it's an expansion or standalone game.

❤️

Edit:

i happy for you. when do you think the next halo game is coming out?

Iced Arcade

It's xbox's Mario... It was never going anywhere.

Halo and Bungie were always ragged on by non Xbox owners. Halo 3 was tore apart on forums when it launched.

Makes me wonder how hard (almost impossible at this point, imo) is to make this series bigger again, mostly because there's SO MUCH competition with mp games & BR crap available everywhere. Even Destiny is free to play now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Except this is all nonsense. Go look at the reviews for every 343i developed Halo title. Every game was reviewed as good as some of Sony's best first party exclusives.
4 87
5 84
MCC 85
Infinite 87

GoW 2018 94
TLoU 95
Uncharted 4 93
Horizon 89
So your desires for a reality that doesn't exist does not agree with actual reality.
Lol.

343i has yet to make a single bad game according to metacritic and most major game review sites, but millions have played and enjoy the games and just plain disagree with you.
If you just ignore the majority of the player base who had major issues with 4 and 5’s MP, the fact that MCC was a broken mess for 5 years and that Infinite’s post game support is probably the most insulting of the lot - then yeah, everyone loves 343.

Halo 4, Halo and Halo Infinite both had stronger, superior launches to Halo 3 or Halo Reach or Halo 3: ODST.
You’re not all there son, but I’d love to see a screenshot of your play time in all of these games.

Pagusas

Elden Member

will-ferrell-elf.gif

Every single thing you said is false.

Rykan

Except this is all nonsense. Go look at the reviews for every 343i developed Halo title. Every game was reviewed as good as some of Sony's best first party exclusives. So your desires for a reality that doesn't exist does not agree with actual reality. 343i has yet to make a single bad game according to metacritic and most major game review sites, but millions have played and enjoy the games and just plain disagree with you.

Video game reviews are completely irrelevant, and they do not at all represent what the actual fanbase thinks. Halo: MCC has an average Metacritic score of 85 and that game was quite literally broken at launch and took years to fix.

You can talk about reviews and "launches" (whatever that means) all you want, but the Halo franchise has lost a lot of its relevance. Halo games used to dominate the Xbox live charts, typically being the 2nd most played game only behind call of Duty. Halo 5 was completely irrelevant. Looking at most played Xbox live games right now, Halo only barely hits the top 20 most played games list....as a free game. Even as a free game, most people don't want to play it.

But hey, at least reviewers like I Give Nines and Gamespot gave it a high score to secure their access to Microsoft's next press event.

Last edited:

FireFly

The "common opinion" is that the underlying foundation of Halo Infinite is great but that is lacking in content (variety) in both MP and SP. The correct response to this issue is to generate more content, not shut the entire franchise down.

vj27

Banned

❤️

Edit:

It’s just neogaf, they posted this tweet in the other thread regarding 343 and everyone was just super pissy to the point I didn’t even comment lol. Infinite is objectively a great game, the reviews say it, the gameplay speakers for itself, they just needa start treating this like a real live service and maybe we can finally get past all the bitching for the most part.

But I’m here for you my halo brotha, the Great journey never ends 😤

Last edited:

vj27

Banned
If they had to release a statement like this, means they are rattled by the sentiment online.
No shit. Like fr lol, they had Mass lay offs. Honestly I’m surprised Bethesda’s so quite, plus we already had worries with leads leaving anyway, it’s about time they address it. Especially with our lord and savior Joe Staten moving onto bigger things within Xbox.

Saiyan-Rox

Honestly the letdown with halo isn't with the campaign it's the online and I don't think the developers are at fault there.

The microtransactions are insane. And from someone who spent 100+ hours on the online on both reach and halo 3 it's an immediate turn off.

Topher

Gold Member
Seems pretty obvious to me. Support infinites MP while they rebuild from within and either a) deliver a whole new game at some point down the line (preferable) or b) some dlc campaign in a few years time (yuk).

Personally i'd like to see what certain affinity have cooking in the mean time.

Guessing what's to come isn't stating the "obvious" though. The fact that 343 has to issue a statement saying "Halo is here to stay" tells me the general consensus is confusion as to what the state of Halo really is. It has been that way for a while and it is only going to get worse.

It’s just neogaf, they posted this tweet in the other thread regarding 343 and everyone was just super pissy to the point I didn’t even comment lol. Infinite is objectively a great game, the reviews say it, the gameplay speakers for itself, they just needa start treating this like a real live service and maybe we can finally get past all the bitching for the most part.

But I’m here for you my halo brotha, the Great journey never ends 😤

It isn't "just NeoGAF". And no, Infinite is not "objectively" great. If you think Infinite is great then that is your opinion and that's fine. I think it is a good, not great game, but I want them to finish the story and flesh out the open world a bit more.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Honestly the letdown with halo isn't with the campaign it's the online and I don't think the developers are at fault there.

The microtransactions are insane. And from someone who spent 100+ hours on the online on both reach and halo 3 it's an immediate turn off.
I currently have 150 hours in Infinite and don‘t know what you’re talking about. It has a battle pass, but every other MP game on the planet does now.
RfkkpFq.jpg

Video game reviews are completely irrelevant, and they do not at all represent what the actual fanbase thinks. Halo: MCC has an average Metacritic score of 85 and that game was quite literally broken at launch and took years to fix.

You can talk about reviews and "launches" (whatever that means) all you want, but the Halo franchise has lost a lot of its relevance. Halo games used to dominate the Xbox live charts, typically being the 2nd most played game only behind call of Duty. Halo 5 was completely irrelevant. Looking at most played Xbox live games right now, Halo only barely hits the top 20 most played games list....as a free game. Even as a free game, most people don't want to play it.

But hey, at least reviewers like I Give Nines and Gamespot gave it a high score to secure their access to Microsoft's next press event.

Speak for yourself. The first thing I started playing was Halo 4 campaign on MCC and it was working perfectly fine for me. I have the physical copy from the original Xbox One release, and I was playing it just fine because my focus was on the campaigns solely.

Top Bottom