• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled

octiny

Banned
Hell, what about just four people on one TV. I remember me and friends playing Halo 2 on one TV and having the time of of our lives. Hell, I still go over and we get together and play it.

I did that all the time til my thumbs were raw, but for split screen multiplayer, not split screen co-op campaign.

Halo Infinite has had 4 player split screen local multiplayer since launch on Series X/S.

I guarantee the reason many of us on this forum fell in love with gaming is due to in person coop games such as Mario kart Goldeneye and Halo. Halo 1-3 couch coop was one of the best gaming experiences of my life so fuck anyone who says they don’t care.

Do you mean co-op campaign split screen or MP split screen?

Goldeneye N64 didn't have a split screen co-op campaign mode nor did Mario Kart N64. You can now though w/ mods etc.

I feel like a lot of people are chucking in games that were popular for split screen MP, not campaign split-screen co-op, getting the two mixed. Halo Infinite has had the former since launch.

But anyways, hopefully the online campaign co-op mode is competent. Sad to see split screen campaign co-op mode get scrapped since the originals had it, even if I never used it personally. Probably had difficulties w/ the technical aspect of it on last gen Xbox's due to the semi-open world of the campaign so they just scrapped it entirely.

Last edited:

RPS37

I honestly don’t think it’s that big of a deal that Infinite isn’t getting split screen co-op, but I totally agree with the sentiment of the thread that 343i is a dumpster fire atm.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just kill Halo already. They're already killing it, it's just slow and brutal. Grab the shotgun, shoot it in the head, and lets move on. I used to love Halo, but 343 just keeps 343ing.

Speak for yourself, tons of people still enjoy it.

Dutchy

Splitscreen campaign should always be an option if possible. Plenty of people who benefit greatly from it. Not to mention it's always been a staple feature of Halo.

My issue doesn't lie with the absence of splitscreen for Infinite however (boring dead game), but more so that the studio has yet another broken promise to add to their legacy. I've said this since they delayed forge at launch: It's only going to be a re-ocurring theme from here on out.

sendit

Great entertainment. Almost as many breakdowns as the God of War:R delay bet thread.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

they expect me to own 4 xboxes, 4 TVs
Infinite is on game pass.

You only need 4 screens between TV/phones/computers, don't need a single xbox

You're right about them promising it though, that's bullshit.

But couch coop as a whole doesn't really matter when you can all play in the same room anyways, now without screen watching

Last edited:
The only way I'd like to see Halo moving forward is if 343 keeps maintaining Infinite and MCC while a different team(s) takes over the next Halo.

There's no way 343 in their current state can work on Infinite and release a new Halo in the next Xbox's lifetime.

The only way I'd like to see Halo moving forward is if 343 keeps maintaining Infinite and MCC while a different team(s) takes over the next Halo.

There's no way 343 in their current state can work on Infinite and release a new Halo in the next Xbox's lifetime.
Do they even intend on another halo in the foreseeable future? I thought they were going to be introducing different biomes and shit like that with infinite

Klayzer

What proof? Topher is a Sony shill tried and true, we all know this. At best he is someone who has heavy bias, and should not be throwing stones. Hypocrisy at its finest. You want proof? Look at my history and you will find that I have been critical across the board and give due where it's deserved. Yes it's a fact that I prefer Xbox right now, but that is earned. PS is arrogant and its games are stale and one note. They are moneyhatting left and right and they are raping everyone on pricing . Their services are trash and there is little excitement for the future. Prove me wrong you shills.
Ys0tbml.gif

Infinite is on game pass.

You only need 4 screens between TV/phones/computers, don't need a single xbox

You're right about them promising it though, that's bullshit.

But couch coop as a whole doesn't really matter when you can all play in the same room anyways, now without screen watching

Found the xCloud salesperson.

Hayabusa83

Banned
Halo Reach from 2010 continues to maintain the standard for Halo games.

Great campaign? Check
Full Coop Modes (Online and Offline)? Check
Deep Competitive Multiplayer? Check
Refined Firefight Mode? Check

343 has tarnished the legacy of Halo, but in some ways I don't care because I can go back to the original trilogy, ODST and Reach.

THE DUCK

I did. That's why I posted; to voice my opinion.

You didn't just say "in my opinion" you spewed a bunch of typical anti 343 bs. Probably wouldn't play halo even if bungie still made it.
Slow and brutal, go play some doom or something.

People acting like this isn’t a big deal: A. They said it would be in there, and that no halo game after 5 would not have split screen co op B. Regardless of whether you used it, many others did, this is what got most people into Halo, it’s part of the franchise C. Some of us have girlfriends, kids, family members who want to play a game with us on the couch in person instead of from some separate house through a microphone

Last edited:

Dutchy

You didn't just say "in my opinion" you spewed a bunch of typical anti 343 bs. Probably wouldn't play halo even if bungie still made it.
Slow and brutal, go play some doom or something.
I saw this post without looking at the author and thought ''reminds me of the dvdvideo guy''

u are not a real person sir

Halo Reach from 2010 continues to maintain the standard for Halo games.

Great campaign? Check
Full Coop Modes (Online and Offline)? Check
Deep Competitive Multiplayer? Check
Refined Firefight Mode? Check

343 has tarnished the legacy of Halo, but in some ways I don't care because I can go back to the original trilogy, ODST and Reach.

It's mental from 4/5/Infinite under 343 we haven't seen a push into new modes of play. How can they blame an engine that delivered so much. I accidentally launched Reach yesterday and boom new MCC multiplayer armours loaded in campaign cutscenes right away. One would think MTX would push them to keep that sort of customisation and integration flourishing.

Further why we haven't seen Battle Royale or PvE over that lifetime is just mind boggling. All they ever had to do was deliver more content. All this bullshit about changing mechanics and all the rest would not have mattered. Take a look at PUBG, Apex or Warzone, the core game is very similar regardless of the mode. Why do 343 reinvent the wheel or spend so much time "learning and making mistakes". What could have been if they just tasked Certain Affinity with keep on trucking through H2 Anniversary far into future releases. I'd kill for more updates on that engine over Infinite's ground up approach. BR done in that level of classic Halo? Yes please. PvE done in that classic H2A? Yes please.

343 could have had such a massive player base with PvE and loot/MTX. What a lack of vision, going F2P didn't have to push the hyper competitive and overcrowded PvP modes once again. The freedom 343 could have enjoyed with BR or PvE and they chose to do none of that in the last 7 years. WTF. They had H5 warzone and firefight modes off the back of Azure cloud integration and turned it into Infinite bots for warm ups and JiP-lite that really doesn't help the matchmaking experience. They should have built that out as a campaign GaaS/PvE and just tuned the studio to support modding massively, leased servers for matchmaking/customs and really pushed into sustained output without all the tech bullshit of a new engine eating all their resources pre and post launch.

Honestly you can still go back to Halo 2/3/Reach and the networking is even better than Infinite in the majority of games. This is due to population and server matchmaking by 343 but again PvE makes too much sense in terms of playing locally over international with matchmade randoms or with friends over another failed and half baked attempt at PvP Halo.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

So having had half a day to sit on this while working and now having drink some. Yea Fuck 343. Their handling of Halo was been abysmal. Microsoft need to go into 343 and clean house starting at the top. After that take some time to bring in people who actually understand Halo. Joe was a good start but once the dumpster fire has become a wild fire destroying whole states one man can't put it out by himself.

Just write off this piece of shit. Take a break for a few years, rebuild the studio, then let them release a new game that lives up to Halo's mantle. No monitization bullshit, basic features present from game 1 day 1 and sturdy online that isn't buggy mess.

Course let's be honest this won't happen because there will always be someone there to defend them and keep them goalposts moving.

ElRenoRaven

Surprised that many people are upset at no split screen. Didn’t think many people would use it these days tbh
To be honest it's more than that. It's the missing features, monitization that frankly was atrocious, other features not being there day one. One example was the ability to replay single missions, the online having issues such as desync etc, and well I could go on and on.

That's why people are angry. It's more than just cutting out a feature that they themselves promised from the moment the game was announced.

THE DUCK

I saw this post without looking at the author and thought ''reminds me of the dvdvideo guy''

u are not a real person sir

Pretty sad state of affairs here if someone happens to think 343 is a half decent studio who actually makes pretty good Halo games that are fun to play "not a person"
And from the poster that comes into every 343 thread with no balance whatsoever, just another hater.

I think you misread that, Firefly person was saying Halo was slow and brutal, I was telling them to go play Doom. I happen to really like both.
Gotcha. I don’t think either series are “slow and brutal”. Both are arena shooters with Halo set at a moderate speed while DOOM got faster and faster.

I love both series (Though I don’t care at all for Halo 5/Infinite, Halo 4 was at least passable). Wish Halo was given the same love, attention, and design focus that id gives DOOM.

Last edited:

mxbison

Split-screen coop is probably a waste of time, agreed. However, the five people actually interested in this mode and the five million concern trolls who never had any interest at all but claim the opposite now will probably not like it.

Last year we had a split-screen-only game sell 7 million copies and win GOTY awards.

No complaints, I can't imagine many still play split screen, sucks for those that still do.

Sucks for those who don't have anyone to play with.

Their teams are clearly churning out battle pass content and somehow that was an all consuming task that was prioritized over bustin out maps.

It should have always been a minimum hiring requirement at 343 that you can build a fun map, even if you work on TV.

Dutchy

Pretty sad state of affairs here if someone happens to think 343 is a half decent studio who actually makes pretty good Halo games that are fun to play "not a person"
And from the poster that comes into every 343 thread with no balance whatsoever, just another hater.
You are defending an incredibly incompotent studio with their undeniably scummy practices. Even if Infinite had everything we asked for at release. it would still have been a sub-par game at best.

Well, it's whatever I guess. I geniunely hope you and the 2500~ other players will have a blast until the game inevitably gets canned so the studio can focus on their next (and 4th) mistake.

ElRenoRaven

I have got a feeling that ms quietly killed this game already. They probably moved resources to the next halo game.
To be honest I don't think so. I think MS is part of the problem to be honest. I think they probably pushed for the monitization, I think they pushed 343 to hurry it out when it clearly wasn't finished. If you look at what they've wanted through the years compared to what the devs have wanted I think it's why it's the way it is now.

Bungie obviously loved this universe and cared for it hence they pushed back when they needed to. However when MS took over they put people in charge who were yes men/women. Hence they don't get the push back from the top that frankly someone who truly loves this universe would give. I honestly don't think anyone actually working on the game thinks that monitizing the hell out of the game was a good idea. I don't think anyone thought releasing it unfinished was a good idea.

It's honestly what pisses me off the most. I have no doubt there are people who love this franchise working on the game. Sure some don't but I have no doubt some do. However when the owner of said franchise and those they hand picked to be put in charge say this is how it's going to be then it's how it is. I feel for those folks too. So I figure they'll get online co-op eventually released, forge released, and mission replay released. However after that then yea I think they'll cut back to skeleton crew releasing content and focus on "Halo 7". Sadly if they don't change anything it will be more of the same with that game.

To be honest on a side tangent. It's one thing that pissed me off though the years with Bungie. They were always so quick to give up their babies to other companies to gain freedom if you will. I to this day hate that they don't have control over Myth (Dead and dorment), Oni (Sequel killed and dorment) and now Halo. When you don't have the original creators of these universes at the healms they tend to suffer or die. Yes I know there are exceptions mind you.

tommib

What proof? Topher is a Sony shill tried and true, we all know this. At best he is someone who has heavy bias, and should not be throwing stones. Hypocrisy at its finest. You want proof? Look at my history and you will find that I have been critical across the board and give due where it's deserved. Yes it's a fact that I prefer Xbox right now, but that is earned. PS is arrogant and its games are stale and one note. They are moneyhatting left and right and they are raping everyone on pricing . Their services are trash and there is little excitement for the future. Prove me wrong you shills.
scared season 1 GIF by The White Princess

THE DUCK

You are defending an incredibly incompotent studio with their undeniably scummy practices. Even if Infinite had everything we asked for at release. it would still have been a sub-par game at best.

Well, it's whatever I guess. I geniunely hope you and the 2500~ other players will have a blast until the game inevitably gets canned so the studio can focus on their next (and 4th) mistake.

See it's BS like that gives you zero credibility.
Sub par game that gets an average of 87 as a metascore? Please. You also keep talking like the multiplayer was the only part of the game that mattered, which is flat out wrong. Many xbox gamers enjoy the single player game, but let's just ignore that since you just want to be a proffesional complainer. Probably played it for 5 minutes and went back to destiny. Or decided you hated it before you even tried it.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
Phil Spencer needs to go. He can’t manage Xbox for shit. So many studios available and the game output is abysmal.

I like Phil. Seems like a genuinely nice guy and a legitimate gamer. The issue for him is if starts swinging the axe and guts 343i, the usual SJW losers that do not play video games will be calling him a misogynist and white supremacist all over social media.

At some point, the merit of the people that compose 343 needs to be questioned. Since Halo 4 the games have become progressively worse and the development team has made some absolutely asinine decisions to purposefully sabotage the franchise.

In Halo 5, they effectively replaced the Masterchief for 75% of the game. The game felt like complete fan fiction.

They broke many promises regarding the MCC (they rebounded, after 7 years), Halo 5, and Halo Infinite. This is simply unacceptable.

Halo Infinite is impressive, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but 1 biome? Really? Master Chief getting absolutely battered by Atriox and we don't get our revenge on him through the course of the game? Fuck this subversion shit.

Dutchy

See it's BS like that gives you zero credibility.
Sub par game that gets an average of 87 as a metascore? Please. You also keep talking like the multiplayer was the only part of the game that mattered, which is flat out wrong. Many xbox gamers enjoy the single player game, but let's just ignore that since you just want to be a proffesional complainer. Probably played it for 5 minutes and went back to destiny. Or decided you hated it before you even tried it.
- The metacritic score is based on Infinite's Honeymoon phase. Which lasted about a week (coincidentally, the game also has about a week's worth of replay value). No other ''critically acclaimed'' FPS title has ever had such a bizarrely low player retention or gained such a massive amount of negative feedback post-release.

- What's that about multiplayer? I'm not sure who or what you are talking about but you might have me confused with someone else. Either way you're proving my point. Because all of the features that Infinite are missing outside of the basic MP are equally to blame for Infinite's demise.

- I played around 5-6 weeks. Got to Onyx. I was (and still am) in the top 0.1% with K/D with multiple accounts. Went back once every 3 months or so only to see that nothing changed or things got even worse. I can DM you a couple links. ()

Everyone complaining about the game and studio has every right to do so and nearly every complaint is accurate and valid. But you refuse to see or acknowledge that cause all that there is probably to it is that you simply don't want the mascot for your favorite plastic box to be publicly humiliated. It's the gullible little shitheads like you why studios keep trying to fuck us over. I'm glad none of the news outlets, forums, social media platforms and Halo players in general are ignoring these glaring issues because dvdvideo think it's enough to have scored an 87 on metacritic.

edit: and yeah, I do regularly go back to Destiny. It's got ton's of issues but at least it has content :messenger_winking_tongue: For now I'm having fun on MCC Halo 3. You know, that 15 year old game that has more active players than Infinite every now and then.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Last year we had a split-screen-only game sell 7 million copies and win GOTY awards.

Sucks for those who don't have anyone to play with.
I do, online in the same house with my other half as we both have our own series X console. :)

It's just nice to have a big screen to yourself.

The Halo and 343 Trolls make one laugh, no one plays in split screen anymore. 343 made the best Halo since the 1st game and are much better off making a nice follow up to Halo Infite rather than waste their time with a mode that many won't bother with at all.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I know for a fact you and Toadstool don't game on Xbox. GTFO with your pathetic rhetoric. You are a sad individual who equates self esteem with a plastic box, and I feel sorry for you.
What’s with the personal attacks bro have you even seen the reaction from the Halo community regarding this news? What does it matter if some non-Xbox posters comment? What the fuck is going on with Halo is the thing we should all be focusing on!

THE DUCK

- The metacritic score is based on Infinite's Honeymoon phase. Which lasted about a week (coincidentally, the game also has about a week's worth of replay value). No other ''critically acclaimed'' FPS title has ever had such a bizarrely low player retention or gained such a massive amount of negative feedback post-release.

- What's that about multiplayer? I'm not sure who or what you are talking about but you might have me confused with someone else. Either way you're proving my point. Because all of the features that Infinite are missing outside of the basic MP are equally to blame for Infinite's demise.

- I played around 5-6 weeks. Got to Onyx. I was (and still am) in the top 0.1% with K/D with multiple accounts. Went back once every 3 months or so only to see that nothing changed or things got even worse. I can DM you a couple links. ()

Everyone complaining about the game and studio has every right to do so and nearly every complaint is accurate and valid. But you refuse to see or acknowledge that cause all that there is probably to it is that you simply don't want the mascot for your favorite plastic box to be publicly humiliated. It's the gullible little shitheads like you why studios keep trying to fuck us over. I'm glad none of the news outlets, forums, social media platforms and Halo players in general are ignoring these glaring issues because dvdvideo think it's enough to have scored an 87 on metacritic.

edit: and yeah, I do regularly go back to Destiny. It's got ton's of issues but at least it has content :messenger_winking_tongue: For now I'm having fun on MCC Halo 3. You know, that 15 year old game that has more active players than Infinite every now and then.

Lol what a ridiculous notion, so now all Metacritic scores are overinflated because it happens to fit your narrative? They didn't play the actual game?
You go on an on about the multiplayer, I get it, you hate it. The single player doesn't exist. Gotcha.

I don't even have a "favorite plastic box" right now. Playing more PS5 lately than anything. This has zero to do with any protection of Xbox, it's to do with your ridiculous over the top posts that simply don't fit reality.

"gullible little shitheads" - so now your resorting to little kid name calling? What are you 8 years old?

I have no problem with issues being raised, it's "people" like you that just take it to whole other level of BS. Disband 343, hate 343, hate everything. Pathetic.
Good for you that you play a 15 year old game that had tons of its own problems. Maybe you should start a Bungie hate group too, make you feel less insecure that someone would argue with you.

THE DUCK

The Halo and 343 Trolls make one laugh, no one plays in split screen anymore. 343 made the best Halo since the 1st game and are much better off making a nice follow up to Halo Infite rather than waste their time with a mode that many won't bother with at all.

Yes they actually did make a good game. And it's not just me saying that, it's professional sites and gamers saying that in droves. I'd love to know what actual percentage of Halo Infinite players planned to play the game split screen. 1%?
But be careful, Dutchy says you can't like the game since it's just bad, nobody likes it, and the metascore is overinflated. (but other games aren't, otherwise we'd have to dock scores for all of them)

Last edited:
Top Bottom