• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite won’t let you replay story missions, level select coming says 343

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo Infinite’s campaign will launch on Dec. 8 missing a feature that made earlier games endlessly accessible: the ability to replay individual story missions. It’s a shame, because Halo Infinite’s levels are a blast to play — but there’s only one way to do so, which is starting a new save.

The complication comes from the semi open-world setting in Halo Infinite. Though all missions happen in a linear order, some require a player to travel across different regions of the world to clear a certain sequence of areas. The good news is that Halo Infinite’s map is open for most of the game: Once you’ve cleared an area or completed a story mission, you can go back to explore. It’s just that story missions won’t trigger. In some cases, this means that hidden items in these areas can be found after a mission, but it’s not true of all missions.

Specifically, Halo Infinite’s first two missions take place off Zeta Halo, and there’s no way back to these areas once you’ve finished. That means that any collectibles you missed will be inaccessible, unless you start a new save to replay those missions. Skulls will stay locked to the account, so they won’t disappear when a new save is started. But for those replaying missions outside the first two, it means replaying the full game, in order.

Earlier Halo games gave players the option to easily jump to different missions via a dedicated menu system. It made changing difficulty and adding skulls easier: You can hop into your favorite mission quickly. It’s something I liked to do a lot, especially in a time crunch — looking for something to play, I could load up a favorite mission and guarantee a good time. There’s still a lot to do in Halo Infinite to keep even the most dedicated players busy for a while, but the problem is that the story missions are good enough that I want to play them again.

A Microsoft representative confirmed to Polygon that story missions are not replayable. “The postgame does give you the option to keep exploring the wider environment, but for missions like the first two, where you’re not on the ring yet, you can’t replay from the same save file,” the representative said. “You’d be able to get any remaining FOBs, targets, [and] audio logs, but the main story missions would not repeat.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halo Infinite campaign level select will be added to the game at a later date, 343 Industries has told Stevivor, meaning players will be able to replay missions without the need to start the game from scratch.

“You cannot replay missions in campaign at this point of time,” 343 Associate Creative Director Paul Crocker told Stevivor this morning, confirming our earlier deduction whilst detailing the reasons why.

“It’s part of what is coming later,” he continued. “The main reason is because, being a more open game and a nonlinear game, it became incredibly challenging. It’s not that it doesn’t work, it’s just that it’s not finished.

“We made the decision to make a better game, to improve the quality of the game so we could then add the features — just like co-op. And that is that is disappointing for us as the people who made it, but it was, also, the better option for us to make a better game and add that later.”

While this writer’s hunch is that level select will be added alongside campaign co-op, Crocker wasn’t able to put a specific launch date to either feature.

“[Level select] is all part of this stuff that’s being worked on the moment,” he said, “and obviously we haven’t announced a date. The reason I‘m being a bit cagey is I honestly don’t know exactly, but people are working that even now. It’s coming… is the only answer we can give.”

Crocker also confirmed — as we’ve already found in our experience — that any collectibles found whilst playing Infinite are tied to your profile rather than to specific saves.

“Things like collectibles that you have collected are stored in your profile,” he said. “Your profile is the important thing. Your profile stores your progress. The save is just where that that version of campaign is.”

Last edited:
Seems like my best option at this point is to just wait for the Campaign to have Level select and co-op patched in, and it’ll probably be cheaper by then too. You guys have fun with it for now though.

Ns3gkWR.jpg

Camreezie

How is this game so gimped? I'm not hating , I've played a bit of the multiplayer and it's pretty rad but after a lengthy development how is it missing so many features at launch that any competent game would have? I feel like theres gonna be a hell of a making of documentary for this one down the line

How many open world games let you just go back and replay a completed main story mission unless you manually saved, in which case you lost your progress by using it? They'll sort it out. Not a major deal right now.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Who cares. (Well maybe somebody, but this clearly isn't really worth entire new thread just to bitch yet again about one particular thing in halo infinite........)

Mattyp

Gold Member
Replaying levels in GTA, Just Cause, Saints Row, Far Cry, Assassin’s Creed… oh wait

This, it’s clearly switched to an open world FarCry style play through system. Which I have no mind for I doubt I’ll play through again until co-op. I never find myself going back to replay levels.

For this fact I doubt there is achievements tied to levels anymore also ie finding shit, and that will all revolve around the open world.

93xfan

Banned
How is this game so gimped? I'm not hating , I've played a bit of the multiplayer and it's pretty rad but after a lengthy development how is it missing so many features at launch that any competent game would have? I feel like theres gonna be a hell of a making of documentary for this one down the line

Probably a lot of development trouble and scrapping ideas.

As long as it’s a fun campaign with a good story, I’m happy

Top Bottom