• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite will skip December's Game Awards, "so we can kind of restart this journey together after the holidays"

Microsoft will not show more of Halo Infinite, its delayed flagship Xbox Series X launch title, at December's Game Awards.

The annual game announcements broadcast (which also features some awards) is traditionally the last date on the calendar to reveal anything big before the industry shuts up shop for Christmas.

But 343 Industries is still "going through the huge cascade of implications and ramifications to the release shift," community director Brian Jarrard wrote on reddit. "The team is heads down working through nearly every facet of the game."

Taking time away from that to work on a demo for the Game Awards - something which, of course, was never planned for as the game was due to be released already - would only hold up 343's work further, Jarrard continued.

"[We] are hoping to offer at least a high level update within the next few weeks so we can kind of restart this journey together after the holidays," he concluded.

Microsoft delayed Halo Infinite from its planned launch date alongside Xbox Series X/S back in August, following a lacklustre campaign reveal and disappointment from fans. There's no word yet on exactly when in 2021 the game will now re-emerge.

Clearly, though, there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes. Following the delay's announcement, Microsoft parachuted in Halo and former Bungie Joe Staten to help with the game's campaign, while veteran Pierre Hintze was brought in to improve the game's multiplayer. Meanwhile, Halo Infinite director and 343 veteran Chris Lee was revealed to have left the troubled project last month.

I don't really think anyone was expecting them to re-reveal the game so soon anyway.

Kuranghi

Aw what! After they created an award just for Halo Infinite as well:

LYdvDK9.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
As I said in another thread. If this comes next year, I can see it being a graphical letdown, which they will then completely overhaul and rerelease of sort in 2022.

I get that the feeling that this is a year away at the earliest.

The next showing needs to impress. Both a good look at the campaign with improved graphics, and a good multiplayer match.

Just launch next holiday and drop Xbox One if it makes things easier. By then there should be enough next gen consoles and PC to get decent sales from the game.

eNT1TY

When all is said and done Halo will be among the top looking and performing games of 2021 upon release, i know its funny to poke at it now but without the pressure of having to make the launch window 343 can focus without rushing and there is A LOT of top talent there capable of bringing their A game. I'm confident the game will impress.

ReBurn

Gold Member
When all is said and done Halo will be among the top looking and performing games of 2021 upon release, i know its funny to poke at it now but without the pressure of having to make the launch window 343 can focus without rushing and there is A LOT of top talent there capable of bringing their A game. I'm confident the game will impress.
You're probably right. Look at what all of that extra time did for Crackdown 3.

I do not for one second belive this will be fixed by next year, or ever, really.

343 need to deliver a masterpiece, or they will be ripped to shreds and basically kill any enthusiasm for Halo going forward.

Since they're not competent enough to do that, I'm guessing it gets delayed until at least 2022, so the purchased studio's new games can be used as a distraction from the inevitable press.

Codes 208

Could still see a spring/summer release. Doesn't change anything since his response makes complete sense.
343i are absolute shit with their announcements so I still expect holiday season.

remember mcc on pc? They announced it back in March last year with the intention of having all halos on pc by the end of 2019 but we only JUST got reach, the first game of the pack in december

Boss Man

Good. It already missed launch and there are plenty of FPS games to play. Not interested in a new Halo just because it’s called Halo, make it worth the wait!

343i are absolute shit with their announcements so I still expect holiday season.

remember mcc on pc? They announced it back in March last year with the intention of having all halos on pc by the end of 2019 but we only JUST got reach, the first game of the pack in december
Not saying your wrong lol. I'm holding out hope for an earlier release but ultimately rather them take there time assuming they dont fuck it up even more.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I'm still holding out hope for a Q1 2021 release. There's no way a game was scheduled to be released in November requires a whole year. The main thing I think they're focused on is the graphics.

The Series S looks to be a hit so I think they should just abandon the Xbox One S and make the One X the minimum spec.

OrtizTwelve

I’m not sure about this.

I mean, the game awards isn’t a big deal overall but it does get traction online in terms of attention.

Would have been smart to show something but I guess not.

This tells me that Halo has more issues going on that we don’t know of. If the game was supposed to launch now you would assume they’d have a lot to show, they basically delayed it at the last minute.

Looks like they’ve probably “reset” the game’s direction.

I do not for one second belive this will be fixed by next year, or ever, really.

343 need to deliver a masterpiece, or they will be ripped to shreds and basically kill any enthusiasm for Halo going forward.

Since they're not competent enough to do that, I'm guessing it gets delayed until at least 2022, so the purchased studio's new games can be used as a distraction from the inevitable press.

This is by far the wildest shit I've read in months. 😂
Never change, gaf.

Top Bottom