• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Banned
I'm not a Halo gamer but dabbled with training mode with bots just now.

- Great looking game
- One thing I hate about Halo is figuring out who's an enemy. Seemed like everyone was blue
- AR is useless as it takes a million shots to down their shield and kill them. I did better picking up some more powerful semi-auto rifles at wall mounts. One gun was decent even with hip fire
- Sure seemed the AI always knew where you are

Not my kind of shooter, but maybe I'll stick to offline bot mode. I dont see myself investing time into this game so no point going online and getting destroyed

in Halo hipfire is almost always about as precise as scoping in. the difference between scoped an unscoped is super low and usually only affects thing at extreme ranges

also the AR is extremely powerful in Infinite. the AR in Halo is basically the noob gun that people use when they aren't good enough to hit headhsots/hit consistantly with single fire or burst weapons. it's not supposed to be powerful but still kinda useable
...well outside of Halo 2 Anniversary MP, where they actually gave the AR some use, and replaced it in its original place in the meta with the SMG. so the AR was basically the upgraded SMG you want to find on the map.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All guns have the same recoil regardless of whether it's hip fire or aiming down sights. It's a hip fire based shooter.

You need to learn the gameplay system - the way it works is each person has a shield, which needs to be removed before you can deal damage. Now some weapons are better at removing the shield, while others are better at dealing damage once the shield is down. So half the meta in this game is figuring out the right weapons for the right job. In many cases you will find yourself using at least two weapons in most battles. The fact that you are trying to take on most fights with only the AR means you should probably try switching it up a bit. It's not for the sake of variety - it's actually a key part of the game's mechanics.

I was like you at first and trying to take on every single fight with one weapon. Unless it's a power weapon or your accuracy is insanely good, this isn't a great approach.
Thanks. As COD gamer, it's natural to always ADS unless desperate in a room hip firing and spray and praying. Hip fire under normal conditions is useless.

As for taking down shields, thanks. Didn't really know different weapons are better at it then others. What I did do is simply copying Halo videos I'd see by tossing a grenade at bots before firing at them. I assume that hurts their shield or health.

- Great looking game
- One thing I hate about Halo is figuring out who's an enemy. Seemed like everyone was blue
- AR is useless as it takes a million shots to down their shield and kill them. I did better picking up some more powerful semi-auto rifles at wall mounts. One gun was decent even with hip fire

Not my kind of shooter, but maybe I'll stick to offline bot mode. I dont see myself investing time into this game so no point going online and getting destroyed

I can confirm after 4+ hours of bot play practicing (one sitting mind you lol to git gud, cause I fucking sucked haha) yesterday that the AI almost certainly doesn't know where you are. I've snuck up on many of them time and time again.

AR is actually INCREDIBLE in Halo Infinite. People are calling for a nerf of the AR, saying it has infinite range (I hope it doesn't get nerfed, it's fucking perfect). It doesn't take a ton of shots to down their shields either, all you need do is get their shields lit up. One or two well placed AR bursts will do precisely that. Then once their shield is lit up, you can go for more precision based attacks with a pistol or even slow down a little with AR, and make sure you hit, and you will for certain hit them. Take advantage of switching guns away from AR sometimes once you've lit up their shields. It can often end that shootout. Or increase the number of shots with each burst. Hell, you can even go full auto with the AR at distance and do serious damage if you control it right. The AR is a far more useful weapon than it's ever been in Halo right now for me.

Initially it took me time to know who's an enemy too, but allies are in blue and enemies are outlined in red or pink, whatever the color is. If you don't see a clear blue outline or name over a player, they are an enemy.

I've never played Halo MP in my life in any serious fashion. I played Halo 3 MP beta back when the first crackdown released on 360, but quickly lost interest even though I had fun. There was nothing remotely that made me want to come back, and I just stuck to my strict campaign story playing. It's different with Halo Infinite. This game feels so fucking fantastic and fun to play. I'll actually be seriously playing Halo MP for the first time in my life. The campaign is still what I'm most excited about though.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Thanks. As COD gamer, it's natural to always ADS unless desperate in a room hip firing and spray and praying. Hip fire under normal conditions is useless.

As for taking down shields, thanks. Didn't really know different weapons are better at it then others. What I did do is simply copying Halo videos I'd see by tossing a grenade at bots before firing at them. I assume that hurts their shield or health.

Yeah what I'd recommend is just experiment. Try using the pistol to take down the shield, or the AR, then swap.

As a rule of thumb, alien weapons are generally better for taking down the shields. But I'll let you figure that out for yourself...I reckon half the fun is experimenting and learning this stuff.

I don't think the game does a great job of teaching you this. I assume you learn it all from the campaign, but I never play the campaigns I just go straight into PvP.

Last edited:
All guns have the same recoil regardless of whether it's hip fire or aiming down sights. It's a hip fire based shooter.

You need to learn the gameplay system - the way it works is each person has a shield, which needs to be removed before you can deal damage. Now some weapons are better at removing the shield, while others are better at dealing damage once the shield is down. So half the meta in this game is figuring out the right weapons for the right job. In many cases you will find yourself using at least two weapons in most battles. The fact that you are trying to take on most fights with only the AR means you should probably try switching it up a bit. It's not for the sake of variety - it's actually a key part of the game's mechanics.

I was like you at first and trying to take on every single fight with one weapon. Unless it's a power weapon or your accuracy is insanely good, this isn't a great approach. I find myself using the swap button more in this game than any other.

There it is. The key is using one thing to damage them shields, and then following up with something else to finish the job. Two guns for the job often times makes the most sense.

Don't underestimate also what ducking down can do in a gun fight lmao. Forcing your opponent to adjust their crosshair lol and potentially give you a much needed opening to finish the job.

jigglet

Banned
I can confirm after 4+ hours of bot play practicing (one sitting mind you lol to git gud, cause I fucking sucked haha) yesterday that the AI almost certainly doesn't know where you are. I've snuck up on many of them time and time again.

What level AI are you using? I'm on ODST, I find Spartan a little too much for my skill level. Maybe after a few more months of this I can take them on, but for now I'm struggling with them.

I feel there's a missing level between the two. I can dominate ODST, but I struggle against Spartan.

What level AI are you using? I'm on ODST, I find Spartan a little too much for my skill level. Maybe after a few more months of this I can take them on, but for now I'm struggling with them.

I feel there's a missing level between the two. I can dominate ODST, but I struggle against Spartan.

I kept them on the default bot level. I use Marine bot level. They're okay, not the most difficult at that level, but that's kinda the point. They're not overly skilled, but they offer up some resistance that will help with your learning. They give you plenty of chances to get a proper feel for how you should react in a live gunfight. You learn that with more patience and slow positioning of your crosshair to get it right where you need it, even while being shot at, you can often change that whole encounter to your favor.

What I use to do the moment I got into a gunfight is I would wildly swing my right stick in a direction hoping to get them, only to realize I'm nowhere where I need to be. Get use to not panicking in a gunfight and moving the stick more slow and methodically in that gunfight, and you'll be surprised at the outcome. But that marine bot level made me a wayyyyyy better Halo MP player. You learn so much about how to really attack and take down shields and enemies. And you get plenty of time to learn without being too badly punished in the act of learning.

My controller settings are as follows. Those lowered deadzone settings made all the difference in the world, made me far more precise with the controls.

move center deadzone - 0
look center deadzone - 0
move: max input threshold - 10.0
look: max input threshold - 10.0
move: axial deadzone - 4.0
look: axial deadzone - 4.0
Look acceleration - 2
look sensitivity (horizontal) - 8.0
look sensitivity (vertical) - 8.0
Magnification 1.4x
1.4x sensitivity 1.0

I'm way better with these controls.

Of all these settings I really want to play with those magnification settings, but they don't appear to fully work right now because when I change the sensitivity for a specific magnification it doesn't appear to stay.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I kept them on the default bot level. They're okay, not the most difficult at that level, but that's kinda the point. They're not overly skilled, but they offer up some resistance that will help with your learning. They give you plenty of chances to get a proper feel for how you should react in a live gunfight. You learn that with more patience and slow positioning of your crosshair to get it right where you need it, even while being shot at, you can often change that whole encounter to your favor.

What I use to do the moment I got into a gunfight is I would wildly swing my right stick in a direction hoping to get them, only to realize I'm nowhere where I need to be. Get use to not panicking in a gunfight and moving the stick more slow and methodically in that gunfight, and you'll be surprised at the outcome.

I'm having so much fun with bots. It's the only time since like Perfect Dark / Time Splitters 2 that I've enjoyed playing against them. I never play the campaign, in fact I'm putting off games like Far Cry 6 cause of shitty AI...but I have to say this quality of AI has got me a little curious about it now for the first time...

elliot5

- Great looking game

fyi you can change the colors of the enemy outlines to your liking. It should be very obvious who is not your friendly color

I'm having so much fun with bots. It's the only time since like Perfect Dark / Time Splitters 2 that I've enjoyed playing against them. I never play the campaign, in fact I'm putting off games like Far Cry 6 cause of shitty AI...but I have to say this quality of AI has got me a little curious about it now for the first time...

I was the total opposite. I was all campaign no MP. I don't have one game of MP in Halo 5 or Halo 4 or Halo 3 (the released game - I played some in the MP beta that came with Crackdown on 360)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
source? I have not noticed that... if it's true it has to be pretty small.
but any random spread for the Sniper is a big no IMO.

why does 343i hate good game mechanics?
Source: playing the game.

Don't know if it's still up but weapon drills > sniper > place cross hair directly on bots face with zoom > unzoom and shoot > depending on range the chance of a hit could be less than 50% let alone getting a headshot.

Banned
Source: playing the game.

Don't know if it's still up but weapon drills > sniper > place cross hair directly on bots face with zoom > unzoom and shoot > depending on range the chance of a hit could be less than 50% let alone getting a headshot.

omg you are correct, and it's super bad too... wtf?

343i really out here trying to once again piss on halo... wtf is wrong with them? why does 343i have to fuck with Halo's core mechanics... at this point I am convinced they do it because the devs think adding shit like this has value and they tell themselves that they "changed Halo and made it better" or some shit.
I remember that video "an open letter to 343 Industries" or something along those lines, where pro players openly talked about how 343i handled the pro scene.
they asked about what they should change about certain maps, and in maps where every player said they are perfectly balanced and work really well, THES STILL INSISTED that they need to change something... they literally changes stuff for the sake of changing it, not even remotely caring about how it affects the gameplay... fuck these devs, I said it a 1000 times and I will say it another 1000 times until that studio is closed down... FUCK 343 INDUSTIRES...

yes this seems like a small change to many, especially non-Halo players, but this small thing is a symptom of something much bigger, and that something is that 343i does not care about the legacy of Halo, they don't care about making the game actually good, they only care about chansing trends and adding stuff noone asked for for the sake of it, just so that they can say they "evolved Halo"

god damn...
first they changed Sprint in this flight so that it has a delay on it, where before you could instantly shoot out of sprint. now they changed that... can't have a dynamic and fast game!
also took out the slide jump potential by completely butchering sliding in the new flight...

Last edited:

elliot5

343i really out here trying to once again piss on halo... wtf is wrong with them?

i also don't know why, but I would guess its either a bug or part of their intent on making snipers not completely broken on mkb for competitive play.

Banned
i also don't know why, but I would guess its either a bug or part of their intent on making snipers not completely broken on mkb for competitive play.

it's literally not an issue in the MCC where it is 100% accurate. they just change shit for the sake of it.
last flight people loved the instant fire out of sprint and the slide jumping and the potential for cool trick jumps it gives. THIS FLIGHT THEY REMOVED BOTH... these devs suck, they have to fucking get their shitty incompetent hands off of Halo and fuck off do some shitty narrative driven game, where no game design talent is needed.

here is a student project truned video game that is a better Halo than anything 343i ever did:
OIP.iu3vafLB9narezuVSbpUwgHaEK

Last edited:

Banned
343i really out here trying to once again piss on halo... wtf is wrong with them? why does 343i have to fuck with Halo's core mechanics... at this point I am convinced they do it because the devs think adding shit like this has value and they tell themselves that they "changed Halo and made it better" or some shit.
I remember that video "an open letter to 343 Industries" or something along those lines, where pro players openly talked about how 343i handled the pro scene.
they asked about what they should change about certain maps, and in maps where every player said they are perfectly balanced and work really well, THES STILL INSISTED that they need to change something... they literally changes stuff for the sake of changing it, not even remotely caring about how it affects the gameplay... fuck these devs, I said it a 1000 times and I will say it another 1000 times until that studio is closed down... FUCK 343 INDUSTIRES...
here's said video,

343i is a terrible dev team FULL STOP

this timestamp is what I'm talking about, this is how everything 343i makes feels like

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

yes this seems like a small change to many, especially non-Halo players, but this small thing is a symptom of something much bigger, and that something is that 343i does not care about the legacy of Halo, they don't care about making the game actually good, they only care about chansing trends and adding stuff noone asked for for the sake of it, just so that they can say they "evolved Halo"

god damn...
first they changed Sprint in this flight so that it has a delay on it, where before you could instantly shoot out of sprint. now they changed that... can't have a dynamic and fast game!
also took out the slide jump potential by completely butchering sliding in the new flight...

In layman's terms can you explain what is happening with the player testing a sniper shot on the wall?

Banned
In layman's terms can you explain what is happening with the player testing a sniper shot on the wall?

that player is me aiming at the exact same spot the whole time, while my shots get randomly spread around my reticle.
In Halo the Sniper has ALWAYS been 100% accurate. meaning it will always shoot exactly in the middle of that circle. but they changed it, most likely because someone at the team was bored and needed something to do in order to seem like he's working on something, which is how I imagine most of this dogshit developer's gamedesign decisions are decided

that player is me aiming at the exact same spot the whole time, while my shots get randomly spread around my reticle.
In Halo the Sniper has ALWAYS been 100% accurate. meaning it will always shoot exactly in the middle of that circle. but they changed it, most likely because someone at the team was bored and needed something to do in order to seem like he's working on something, which is how I imagine most of this dogshit developer's gamedesign decisions are decided

And what if it's just a mistake? And why don't you go ahead and just report this to them?

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't you think it's a little dramatic calling for 343i to be shut down? They're so much better than a lot of other top tier devs when it comes to this stuff that it isn't even funny. They're an incredible developer and talent and all the fun people have been having with this game, and all the insane things we've been witnessing, is clear proof of that. The feel of this game is spectacular in every sense of the word. They won't get everything perfect, but that's what an evolving game is about. They will make adjustments as we go. A significant chunk of what they have already is personally for me one of the most amazing first person multiplayer games I've ever played.

Artistic

Decided not to play today. Played more than enough.

Pretty sure this is it until release too. I'm ready for December.

Banned
And what if it's just a mistake? And why don't you go ahead and just report this to them?

You're entitled to your opinion, but don't you think it's a little dramatic calling for 343i to be shut down? They're so much better than a lot of other top tier devs when it comes to this stuff that it isn't even funny. They're an incredible developer and talent and all the fun people have been having with this game, and all the insane things we've been witnessing, is clear proof of that. The feel of this game is spectacular in every sense of the word. They won't get everything perfect, but that's what an evolving game is about. They will make adjustments as we go. A significant chunk of what they have already is personally for me one of the most amazing first person multiplayer games I've ever played.

I made it clear this is not the reason I say this. the reason i say this is because they clearly don't give a flying fuck about Halo... they clearly don't give a flying fuck about what is best for this franchise and they clearly are bad game designers.

the issue is partly shown in the video I linked above, where they clearly change stuff only so they can say that they changed stuff.
and this is demonstrated again and again.

the sprint mechanic in this game is only in there because CoD bros will make fun of a game that has no sprint on Twitter, and they are scared that this will result in less sales.
the Sprint mechanic in this game is barely even a mechanic. it is a placebo for dumb players (people that want to have sprint for no other reason but to have it).

this is clearly not a glitch or unwanted. this is a very obviously programmed in bullet spread FOR NO REASON. this will not affect 99% of gunfights. it is there so that one talentless dipshit at 343i can say that he did something to the game that is his. "I DID THAT! this will make the game more modern" is probably what said dipshit thinks.
what what it affects is that it will result in situations where a skilled player placed a perfect noscope on an enemy miles away, but misses, even tho he trained on controller for ages to be good at that... but then some noob comes around, doesn't even really have the reticle on the other guy's head but still hits due to a random spread.
for no reason... halo worked perfectly fine for fucking 2 decades with 100% accuracy on hipfire... BUT NOOO we can't have that, we are 343i WE NEED TO CHANGE STUFF! we need to progress! doesn't matter how, just change change change! does it make sense what we change? who cares!?

then they literally are repeating mistakes made in Halo 2... yeah, they copied WHAT PEOPLE HATED in Halo 2... not the good stuff like the maps or the gameplay, nope, the bad stuff.
what is that bad stuff? Weapon respawns based on usage of the gun. is the gun still active on the map, it will not respawn. this is not on for power weapons gladly but it is on for stuff like the Needler or new mid-tier semi-power weapons.
this respawn behaviour was HEAVILY abused in Halo 2 by players. it would lead to tactics where one team just stole useful weapons and horded them so even tho they don't use/need them, they made sure they will never respawn.

yeah, that's what they do, they implement the shitty hated stuff of Halo 2... that's the kind of talentless hacks they are.

they simply change stuff without thinking about anything related to game design... all they do is either do random shit to existing mechanics that noone asked for, or they implement new stuff that either feels like shit or completely fucks with what makes Halo the game it is.

why implement sprint? because COD
why implement random spread for snipers? because other games have inaccurate hipfire and CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE
why implement the worst parts of Halo 2 that is objectively bad gamedesign? because they are shit devs

I know I am on a tirade right now, but these doshit devs are ruining Halo for almost a decade now, and they still pull this shit

Last edited:

Jemm

These tweets made me laugh (though "PS5 Fangirls" in the video below is uncalled for. "Halo-hater" would have been better.):

ZywyPL

Banned
The fact that you are trying to take on most fights with only the AR means you should probably try switching it up a bit. It's not for the sake of variety - it's actually a key part of the game's mechanics.

That's the biggest issue I have with the game tho, that's the only gun you have... The weapons you can pick up are either not there, already taken/waiting for respawn, or very situational given the maps layout (that's why I love Bazaar, it's so tight that every weapon works there). And when you do pick up a weapon it's like 3 kills and you're out of ammo and you're running around searching for a replacement, so you're just better off sticking with the two default guns anyway. Honestly, the most fun I had with both flights was that training mode vs bots where you can switch weapons on the fly - you wanna run with the shotty? You run with the shotty. You love Commando? You get commando, and so on. THIS is fun. Halo needs to step up the game with customization if it wants to cater a new audience, otherwise people will get bored by running around with the same dull weapons 24/7.

Also - the minimap is fucking useless, I don't know why it's even there it doesn't tell you where the enemies are, where to go. I had so many matches where I spent more than half of the time just running around in circles searching for someone, like it's BF with it's huge empty maps, you hear there's a gunsight somewhere going on but there are no red dots on the radar, WHY?!?

Those are the two issues I had with H5 and reasons I dropped it, like I said in my previous post - the core gameplay is top-notch, but the game is mentally stuck with 20yo outdated solutions for the most basic stuff.

Ah you again lol
Battlefield is doing way more impressive shit on a way larger player count. That alone wipes the floor with Infinite.
Infinite has nothing impressive going for it.

MP is not about being impressive but about being fun first and foremost. And I have little to no doubt that all those tornados and other random stuff in BF will indeed be impressive at first, but then everyone will be just like "ugh, here we go again...". KZ2 had this kind of random event in one of the DLC maps with nuke explosion going on, needless to say it killed all the gameplay and fun on that map. Because people go online to shoot each other, not to run away from random events, leave that shit in SP where it belongs.

jigglet

Banned
That's the biggest issue I have with the game tho, that's the only gun you have... The weapons you can pick up are either not there, already taken/waiting for respawn, or very situational given the maps layout

I think the default is fine.

Close up, the pistol deals a decent amount of damage, then you spray and pray for headshots with the AR.

From a medium distance, I use the reverse - burst fire the AR, then use the pistol to go for headshots cause it's more accurate.

I've had a great deal of success with the starting loadout.

The only gun that I've found in plentiful supply in every mode is the plasma pistol...it's not a power weapon but guess what - it's specifically designed to remove the shield.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I think the default is fine.

Close up, the pistol deals a decent amount of damage, then you spray and pray for headshots with the AR.

From a medium distance, I use the reverse - burst fire the AR, then use the pistol to go for headshots cause it's more accurate.

I've had a great deal of success with the starting loadout.

The only gun that I've found in plentiful supply in every mode is the plasma pistol...it's not a power weapon but guess what - it's specifically designed to remove the shield.

I know, I find the default set to be the most effective/versatile combo (maybe except Command which I'd gladly swap the AR for any day and night, love the gun), but the problem is that running with only two guns gets boring really really fast. The 1st Titanfall was heavily criticized for its lack of weapon variety, and that game already had 4x the arsenal of Halo...

jigglet

Banned
I know, I find the default set to be the most effective/versatile combo (maybe except Command which I'd gladly swap the AR for any day and night, love the gun), but the problem is that running with only two guns gets boring really really fast. The 1st Titanfall was heavily criticized for its lack of weapon variety, and that game already had 4x the arsenal of Halo...

A lot of the power weapons are too powerful, so it makes sense they are relatively rare. I think what messes up the balance - and what makes it boring, to your point - is how stingy they are with the BR. The BR is one of the staples of the game...why is it seeing a BR almost feels like I've won the lottery? It's way too rare. If it was more common then it would help mix things up a lot. Likewise the Pulse Carbine should be more plentiful too - it could hardly be classed as a power weapon so why are they so stingy with it? There are plenty of upper-mid tier weapons that should be more common, but I would start with the BR and PC.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

The RNG rhubarb rifle is the better choice than the precision utility rifle.

This is a fundamental balance problem that the smoothest brains on reddit think is a good thing *le sigh*

ZywyPL

Banned
A lot of the power weapons are too powerful, so it makes sense they are relatively rare. I think what messes up the balance - and what makes it boring, to your point - is how stingy they are with the BR. The BR is one of the staples of the game...why is it seeing a BR almost feels like I've won the lottery? It's way too rare. If it was more common then it would help mix things up a lot. Likewise the Pulse Carbine should be more plentiful too - it could hardly be classed as a power weapon so why are they so stingy with it? There are plenty of upper-mid tier weapons that should be more common, but I would start with the BR and PC.

That's why IMO they should greatly expand the armoury beyond the legacy weapons, so that you can have a lot of default weapons to choose from via classes/loadouts/sets, whatever you wanna call them, while still having a variety of specialized weapons scattered around the map. Because I cannot see a single reason why the Commando shouldn't be freely playable, same for the sniper rifle, the shotty, there was that awesome SMG in H5 which again you could only pick up every now and then... Generally all man-made weapons should be up to your disposal, and then all the alien guns and rocket launchers should be classified as power weapons that can be only obtained on the map.

jigglet

Banned
That's why IMO they should greatly expand the armoury beyond the legacy weapons, so that you can have a lot of default weapons to choose from via classes/loadouts/sets, whatever you wanna call them, while still having a variety of specialized weapons scattered around the map. Because I cannot see a single reason why the Commando shouldn't be freely playable, same for the sniper rifle, the shotty, there was that awesome SMG in H5 which again you could only pick up every now and then... Generally all man-made weapons should be up to your disposal, and then all the alien guns and rocket launchers should be classified as power weapons that can be only obtained on the map.

Oh that H5 SMG. What would I give to see that return. I loved everything about it - the look, the sound, the reload animation.

Naked Lunch

The Infinite AR can shred your shields from all the way across the map in BTB. Thats a problem. Hopefully it gets adjusted.

Fragmentation is already an all time great Halo map in my eyes. I could play on that map all day.
They really nailed the 'being in a massive forest' vibe. Since 343 is in Seattle - they probably said just go outside and make that. Being a sneaky, crouch walking, CTF player on offense allowed me to really take in the aesthetic of the map. The huge amount of foliage. The near perfect lighting. The ambient sounds of winds, trees creaking, birds calls in the distance. They even added some wild animals running around in spots of the map. Fragmentation looks more Halo than any map 343 has ever made.

I love that you can rocket jump with the repulsor. I was able to rocket jump on top of the hex blocks high above above the first flag location with the sniper rifle.

Not sure how I feel about the scope shining glint from ranged weapons. I noticed even the BR and Commando have it in addition to of course the sniper and shock rifles. Does the glint always shine - or only when you are zoomed?

Last edited:

elliot5

The Infinite AR can shred your shields from all the way across the map in BTB. Thats a problem. Hopefully it gets adjusted.

Fragmentation is already an all time great Halo map in my eyes. I could play on that map all day.
They really nailed the 'being in a massive' forest vibe. Since 343 is in Seattle - they probably said just go outside and make that. Being a sneaky, crouch walking, CTF player on offense allowed me to really take in the aesthetic of the map. The huge amount of foliage. The near perfect lighting. The ambient sounds of winds, trees creaking, birds chirping. They even adding some wild animals running around in spots of the map. Fragmentation looks more Halo than any map 343 has ever made.

I love that you can rocket jump with the repulsor. I was able to rocket jump on top of the hex blocks high above above the first flag location with the sniper rifle.

Not sure how I feel about the scope shining glint from ranged weapons. I noticed even the BR and Commando have it in addition to of course the sniper and shock rifles. Does the glint always shine - or only when you are zoomed?
only when zoomed I think

Naked Lunch

only when zoomed I think
It would be an interesting thing to test because snipers always seemed to show up as this huge spotlight. A strategy to counter it might be to equip your secondary item and then switch to the sniper rifle. If glint in fact doesnt show only when zoomed - if im running around with a BR and sniper rifle - do I also have this huge light shining from me at all times too?

I understand why they added the glint - to get rid of some of the frustration of those being sniped. This glint system is 100% ripped from the Battlefield games.

343 should also look into the enemy red outline's range. Seeing red outlines from miles out in BTB is kinda weird.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

After many hours throughout the last two weekends of the preview, here are my quick thoughts.

Pros:

- Game looks awesome
- Map/Level design is superb
- Vehicles are fun to ride/mess around in
- The grapple
- Feels like classic Halo with modern twists

Cons:

- The aiming on controller is terrible (this is a major turn off for me and may ruin the entire game for me if not fixed) There are many posts on this, it's not simply "git gud". I went and played Halo MCC afterwards and it just felt so much better in terms of aiming.

- Bad Radar design IMHO... it's inconsistent too

- Some of the guns just don't feel satisfying.

- The Battle Pass and XP progression...the rewards feels very stale. Hopefully there's more to it on the full release, but playing for hours only to unlock a couple colors and shoulder pads feels underwhelming.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

- The aiming on controller is terrible (this is a major turn off for me and may ruin the entire game for me if not fixed) There are many posts on this, it's not simply "git gud". I went and played Halo MCC afterwards and it just felt so much better in terms of aiming.
Its not really a case of 'git gud' - more that it takes lots of work messing with the deadzones, acceleration, and sensitivity to find something that works for you. No doubt, the default settings are atrocious. Having like 6 different options to adjust is a bit overkill - but once you find the one that works you should be set.

My first post in this thread about Flight 2 was complaining about the aiming but after some annoying trail and error adjustments over a couple play sessions - I got it to match my controls in the MCC.

Andodalf

Banned
AR is way too good. It lessens the skill variation a lot. In H5 a 6/10 skill with a pistol meant you would win against an AR, and from there it was all about who was better with the pistol. Now anyone who isn't really, really good with the pistol is all in the exact same bracket of skill. Too many trades

This also means if you're good with the pistol, you can absolutely stomp lobbies because 9/10 people will just AR you and you get a free win as long as you hit your shots.

I'd much prefer a weaker AR, but also a weaker pistol (more like h5 where it's slower but hits a bit harder, so that it becomes less about just being able to fire the gun super fast, capping it's TTK on the highest end)

Needler is also way over tuned Rn.

I was playing many games where I'd go like 15-4-6 with 9 headshots, and only one other guy in the whole lobby hit a headshot because everyone was just using AR and trading.

This obviously isn't as big a deal in ranked

Aiming on console is definitely very hard, but when you get to the point you can handle it, it feels fine. You definitely need to adjust most of the settings. The default settings are bad, beyond that aiming isn't bad, just hard.

Radar does not feel good at all.

Power weapons besides the sniper feel very inconsistent.

Battle pass system is kinda boring. Not bad but dull.

The BTB map needed some teleporters to cut down on running. Also the barley sprint feels silly. Also is flag juggling faster than Flag Sprinting?

This is a Bruh moment. This isn't COD my guy. Shotguns, snipers, and precision weapons are all straight up better than what you spawn with, and managing how you use them/ control their spawns is like 1/3rd of what makes halo halo.

They really nailed the 'being in a massive forest' vibe. Since 343 is in Seattle - they probably said just go outside and make that. Being a sneaky, crouch walking, CTF player on offense allowed me to really take in the aesthetic of the map. The huge amount of foliage. The near perfect lighting. The ambient sounds of winds, trees creaking, birds calls in the distance. They even added some wild animals running around in spots of the map. Fragmentation looks more Halo than any map 343 has ever made.

I think the Infinite AR is perfect, and the weapon has never been more useful imo. And someone has to be really on point with their aim to successfully do so with the infinite AR. At distance it's easier for you to evade so that you don't face serious consequences. The AR has to be carefully handled to do what it does at long distance. I hope they keep that weapon exactly the way it is because I want that thing lol.

After many hours throughout the last two weekends of the preview, here are my quick thoughts.

Pros:

- Game looks awesome
- Map/Level design is superb
- Vehicles are fun to ride/mess around in
- The grapple
- Feels like classic Halo with modern twists

Cons:

- Bad Radar design IMHO... it's inconsistent too

- Some of the guns just don't feel satisfying.

- The Battle Pass and XP progression...the rewards feels very stale. Hopefully there's more to it on the full release, but playing for hours only to unlock a couple colors and shoulder pads feels underwhelming.

I'm one of the worst aimers with a controller in fps games, and I can tell you personally that I've never been better than I am with Halo Infinite. You gotta lower the controller deadzones, and then it becomes like night and day in terms of feel. I hesitate sometimes to tell people my settings cause I don't want anybody else getting better and suddenly kicking my ass, but these are them.

move center deadzone - 0
look center deadzone - 0

move: max input threshold - 10.0
look: max input threshold - 10.0
move: axial deadzone - 4.0
look: axial deadzone - 4.0

Look acceleration - 2
look sensitivity (horizontal) - 8.0
look sensitivity (vertical) - 8.0

Magnification 1.4x
1.4x sensitivity 1.0

The ones that made the biggest differences are bolded.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
it's literally not an issue in the MCC where it is 100% accurate. they just change shit for the sake of it.
last flight people loved the instant fire out of sprint and the slide jumping and the potential for cool trick jumps it gives. THIS FLIGHT THEY REMOVED BOTH... these devs suck, they have to fucking get their shitty incompetent hands off of Halo and fuck off do some shitty narrative driven game, where no game design talent is needed.

here is a student project truned video game that is a better Halo than anything 343i ever did:
OIP.iu3vafLB9narezuVSbpUwgHaEK
Maybe they are gathering feedback in this flight and offering A B tests for players.

You should feedback your thoughts. They may switch it back.

here's said video,

343i is a terrible dev team FULL STOP

this timestamp is what I'm talking about, this is how everything 343i makes feels like

This is hyperbolic nonsense. Going back to any previous Halo since playing infinite is rough, slow, and quite shit in comparison.

twilo99

I was able to get ~100fps average on medium settings @ 1440p with my 6800xt, so VRR saved the day. There must be some magic going on with the xbox version in order to get 120fps. I've looked at some screenshots and the quality is not any worse than what I was getting at medium settings, in fact, I think it looks better on the x.

The game is great fun overall.

They've managed to create really nice atmosphere with some fancy looking graphics and textures. Really good work. The physics are not great, but I think that might be just me coming from Quake. The guns feel and sound really good too.

So I think they have the fundamentals down, but I am afraid that if they don't to a battle royal mode, the multiplayer part won't stay relevant for longer than 6-8 months.

Andodalf

Banned
I was able to get ~100fps average on medium settings @ 1440p with my 6800xt, so VRR saved the day. There must be some magic going on with the xbox version in order to get 120fps. I've looked at some screenshots and the quality is not any worse than what I was getting at medium settings, in fact, I think it looks better on the x.

The game is great fun overall.

They've managed to create really nice atmosphere with some fancy looking graphics and textures. Really good work. The physics are not great, but I think that might be just me coming from Quake. The guns feel and sound really good too.

So I think they have the fundamentals down, but I am afraid that if they don't to a battle royal mode, the multiplayer part won't stay relevant for longer than 6-8 months.

XSX runs with dynamic res on both axis down to 1080pish iirc

I'm a huge critic of 343i as this is absolutely the first AAA game they have put out in a decade. They haven't proven themselves yet, but I'm happy to say Infinite is shaping up to be really, really good and faithful to the Halo games of old while modernizing it slightly. Whether 343i has redeemed themselves as worthy to carry the franchise will come down to campaign. I'm more interested in co-op campaign right now than more MP, and it's not looking good already since they cut co-op until March...

Here is what I thought:

Pros:
-Amazing art style
-Amazing texture work
-Great maps so far (thank God we aren't getting forged remixes or whatever that lazy stuff was in H5)
-Starting weapons feel powerful and balanced (AR range could be toned down very slightly imho)
-Customization options are great (minus the armor coatings that is horrible and takes away customization options)
-The game is just FUN
-Classic Halo gameplay is back baby
-FOV slider (thank God) + massive control setting variety

Cons:
-The radar is way too short, it absolutely should be buffed to 25m, it also seems to miss enemies sometimes but I could be wrong
-The Battle Pass is kind of boring as shown in this flight, I have no interest in participating in that
-The melee lunge range is too far. Either cut it in half or slow down how fast you can double melee. I swear the double melee is more viable than the Gravity Hammer outside of big groups of enemies
-The Shield equipment is absolute garbage. It's quite glaring considering how empowering the rest of the equipment sandbox is. I wish they would simply scrap it and replace it with the Bubble Shield
-Didn't enjoy using that alien shotgun thing (the one that bounces off walls), it's too weak for a "mid tier" weapon. However, I'll admit I didn't spend a ton of time with it either so maybe I need more practice
-The default control setting are just whack. I think 99% of people need to make major adjustments immediately as almost everyone I played with complained about the controls in general before tinkering with them massively. Oh, and make the default the Legacy controls, not the COD controls pls and thx
-Vehicle Hijacking is way too easy, it's similar to the melee lunge, the distance is wayyyyy to overtuned that you can board vehicles from The animation is ridiculous with how far the character jumps when boarding at a distance.
-The ghost can reverse way too fast making it a really powerful item and it feels weird. I think you should cut the reverse speed by 50% and reduce the boarding/hijacking distance to compensate for the Ghost nerf
-The explosion effects / particle effects or lack of leave a lot to be desired. Remember Halo 3...we've regressed with this but I understand it's likely due to limitations
-The burst fire Plasma weapon is pretty underwhelming, please increase ROF
-Where the heck is the classic Plasma Rifle?
-Plasma Pistol lost its EMP function? WHY?!?! Why do you make these changes that are just so weird and serve no purpose that I can think of
-Going from a jump to a slide is inconsistent
-I don't love how you can add ammo to the energy weapons like the PP by walking over a weapon, it doesn't make sense. At least make an animation where they reload the battery or something (super minor gripe I know)

And I'll just say, for whatever reason, this game makes me rage really hard vs. other online games where I tend to just enjoy having fun. Losing in Halo Infinite by getting stomped is really frustrating and just dying a lot in general when you have a bad game or get an unfair matchup made me rage quit at least a couple of times and I'm not the type of person to rage at a video game. For some reason, Halo Infinite is super sweaty and rage inducing for me. I don't know why, maybe I need to git gud still

Andodalf

Banned
Is that what they are doing? I guess that makes sense.

I just hope they optimize the PC version a bit more.. should be able to do better than 100fps on a high end gpu
Halo 5 was a fairly early game in the dynamic scaling game, and it had a near locked 60 due to a really good dynamic system where each axis scales dynamically. The same tech is used here. I don’t think it’s available on the pc version sadly.

GHG

Gold Member
Posted?:

The best way I can describe how this looks is a larger scale arena shooter. Would I be correct in my assessment?

Because if so then I'll 100% try it out at launch.

Top Bottom