• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Open in New tab + F11 to fully appreciate the textures. So damn good, even on the big maps.

20211002125819-1.jpg

20211002130231-1.jpg

20211002125347-1.jpg

The campaign is going to look awesome B)

Mr.ODST

Had so much fun with BTB and Arena last few weekends, December 8th is gonna be absolute madness, just need the campaign to be good now and Microsoft /343i have a strong GOTY contender I think because the Gameplay and MP is amazing and we have only seen 2 modes in that MP package, with the rumours of a Battle Royale / Warzone returning aswel ... mmmmm

Ammogeddon

I'm not feeling the difference in quality and performance mode on XSX. Still feels 60 fps.

Very strange since 120 fps in Gears 5 and Halo MCC was immediately noticeable.
It’s left me a little confused.

In Dolby Vision mode I don’t get 120hz on my TV, yet when playing the game it’s locked in performance. When I switch off DV I get the option between quality and performance, but to be honest I cannot for the life of me discern a difference visually or in the way it feels.

Great to see such positive feelings about this. I will never play the multiplayer, but rooting for you all to have something amazing hopefully.

Really hope the campaign is good, can't wait for that! And super interested in the idea that this is the Halo game for the next decade - there is literally no need any more (in some cases) to not just keep adding more content to an existing game, and improving it as you go. Waiting years for more content/a full sequel is so stupid. Evolve it. Hopefully they keep up a nice pace of single player content too.

Hezekiah

Banned
I've seen enough. Best looking shooter I've ever seen. The art style, the lighting, the shading and texture work, all the small details, everything just comes together in such an unbelievably beautiful way. I look forward to the campaign.

And these areas below I've seen in-game, these screenshots do not do them proper justice. It needs to be seen on a beautiful 4K television like my CX. Jesus.

TURusHH.jpg
GnEjvIP.jpg
XwjgsGn.jpg
Pav6D4S.jpg

That second pic puts the 'b' in 'basic'.

Sincerely though, I expect Stalker 2 and Battlefield 2042 to the wipe the floor with Halo graphically.

jigglet

Banned
I was out of town this afternoon so I missed todays test. Mother truckers

"was" out of town? You're at home now? Cause you know it's still running right? You have another 3 hours left to go!

EDIT: daylight savings - it starts in a few mins.

Last edited:

Cacadookie

Neo Member
I'm playing on PC with a 3080 and a LG CX 48". The game looks good, not great though. A lot of the materials used look awesome like Rock formations and Metals from forerunner structures but, mud, sand, dirt foliage, trees, could look better.

I also stated that tire tracks look ugly. Something they could have opted for was a light use of Tessellated tire tracks kind of like how it's done in RDR 2. I also think there is a lack of environmental interactivity. Foliage moves when you walk past it but the lack of some form terrain deformation from your body falling on the ground when you die or a grenade explosion leaves something to be desired.

Lighting and also looks good in some parts but shadows overall look terrible in the sand map. It's way to soft and causes problems with foliage casting shadows which I think is just using SSAO. Would look better if they added denser foliage so that SSAO makes sense to use.

Spartans also lack good self shadowing. Looks blocky most of the time.

Another thing that left me unimpressed was the damage done to vehicles. Warthogs have more points of destruction in infinite but you leave no dents, just a decal until the part breaks off. I think Halo 3 did an excellent job with the way warthogs took damage, and the damage model overall. Ghosts also did this awesome explosion in Halo 3 that I really don't find enjoyable in Infinite.

I understand that maybe these are optimizations done to keep the Frame rate stable but if 4K 60 is the end goal for Quality on Series X and this is all 343 could muster then color me unimpressed.

And it's not just Visuals. Death animations are repetitive and sometimes overexaggerated. You can also tell that animations are running at a certain framerate as they look pretty janky. Walk around in the practice mode and shoot some bots in the head and you'll see what I mean. I kinda miss the days when devs just stuck to ragdoll upon running out of health and calling it a day. It looks like the way far cry handles animated deaths.

Sorry for being picky BTW. I like the game just eh. I don't know.

That second pic puts the 'b' in 'basic'.

Sincerely though, I expect Stalker 2 and Battlefield 2042 to the wipe the floor with Halo graphically.

You are looking at twitter images my guy. I've seen BF 2042, and, no, to me it doesn't look better. At least the MP doesn't appear that way to me so far.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Guys there’s a YouTube video that discusses why a lot of weapons are “missing” and does a great job talking about removing redundancy. Can anyone help me find this? I’ve been searching all over YouTube but can’t seem to find it.

elliot5

Guys there’s a YouTube video that discusses why a lot of weapons are “missing” and does a great job talking about removing redundancy. Can anyone help me find this? I’ve been searching all over YouTube but can’t seem to find it.

was it this shyway vid

Artistic

Kind of just noticed they don't let use the pistol anymore when flag carrying...

No biggie, guess it reinforces a more team based approach.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can't get over how bad the aiming is on controller for this game. I thought it was just me, but it looks like many people on Reddit are saying the same thing. It's ruining my hype for the multiplayer big time

Had the same feeling.

I have no idea why these giant companies don't just mimic the feel of the biggest shooter on the market. What advantage is there for making a wonky feeling control scheme? Who does that serve?

h4t3

I didn't realise that the beta only runs during specific hours of the day! I had assumed that the launcher was buggy, and did a total reinstall. Whoops.

Annoying to convert the hours to Sydney time. Hopefully can get on today.
same
2times 4 hours so just 8 hours not 24 per day -_- bummer
well hope end of month AoE 4 will bei more than just g00d :)

Banned
I just noticed that they added a delay for shooting out of a sprint...

they really want the fambase to hate them don't they?

in the first test you could shoot instantly out of a sprint, no delay, fast and dynamic.
not anymore...

343i is such a shit developer -_- sprint sucks again

VAVA Mk2

in the first test you could shoot instantly out of a sprint, no delay, fast and dynamic.
not anymore...

It feels faster than in the first flight too. It was only like 10% over normal moving speed.

jigglet

Banned

not anymore...

dude I thought it was my imagination but I noticed this too. I'd like to see some posts from other people / reddit / forums to confirm we aren't going crazy.

The shotgun seems to be the easiest way to test it cause it has the longest raise time - while sprinting, quickly tap the shoot button and notice it doesn't register (a very quick tap, like micro seconds). You need to hold it down for a tad longer for it to fire the first shot after sprinting.

EDIT: I just did some more testing, and confirmed the shotgun is a great example to look at. You need to feather it...a really, really quick tap. It won't register due to the long raise time.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I've seen enough. Best looking shooter I've ever seen. The art style, the lighting, the shading and texture work, all the small details, everything just comes together in such an unbelievably beautiful way. I look forward to the campaign.

And these areas below I've seen in-game, these screenshots do not do them proper justice. It needs to be seen on a beautiful 4K television like my CX. Jesus.

TURusHH.jpg
GnEjvIP.jpg
XwjgsGn.jpg
Pav6D4S.jpg

It looks pretty incredible, that extra year really helped them polish it up and no doubt the advances in the development software have helped a lot.
You have to presume the Campaign is going to look better, they've probably hidden it for the opposite reason everyone thought and it in fact is going to blow people away.
How campaign runs last gen is going to be interesting as well, could be the best looking last gen game on One X.

Top Bottom