• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Honestly, these videos just speak for themselves. The texturing and shader work is just unbelievably good. The campaign just has to be really damn good, something truly special, and Microsoft has themselves a mega hit on their hands.

Playing it myself on Series X i don’t agree with you. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it’s a ugly or underwhelming looking game, Im not seeing what’s unbelievably good as you say . It feels very smooth to play which is the main thing.

The guy who composed the music for the multiplayer deserves high praise too, did a superb job.

In many ways. You can go around corners then dash back after seeing what’s there, you can jump then dash backwards to get the jump on people that are behind you, your movement is less predictable especially while jumping. It just gives you more options across the board, both offensively and defensively.
Nah it just brought too much unpredictability to movement and gunplay. Too far from being punished for poor map movement or gunplay engaging of classic Halo for me.

It also created extreme movement chains that were unwanted or unaware for most players. Literally traverse a map twice as fast or attack an enemy before even latency online had a chance to be registered of the attack and then react for counter still.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Playing it myself on Series X i don’t agree with you. Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying it’s a ugly or underwhelming looking game, Im not seeing what’s unbelievably good as you say . It feels very smooth to play which is the main thing.

The guy who composed the music for the multiplayer deserves high praise too, did a superb job.
Guy behind ORI music if not mistaken, Gareth is super skilled/creative. And he makes melodies which makes sense. Not Hans Zimmer style of few chords layered with ton of shit, so it sounds big, super boring way to do music.

Guy behind ORI music if not mistaken, Gareth is super skilled/creative. And he makes melodies which makes sense. Not Hans Zimmer style of few chords layered with ton of shit, so it sounds big, super boring way to do music.

I’d love him to work on Mass Effect, I think he would nail it

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I’d love him to work on Mass Effect, I think he would nail it
I would like to see returning of the Sam Hullick, he is also really good. He made the CoD: Black OPS 2 menu music and that shit was good too.

But yeah dream for me, since ME is using a lot of synths would be Gareth Cooker and Hullick. But it's nice to dream about things.

Also bring back the ME1 style with ME3 style piano :messenger_ok: :messenger_weary:

In many ways. You can go around corners then dash back after seeing what’s there, you can jump then dash backwards to get the jump on people that are behind you, your movement is less predictable especially while jumping. It just gives you more options across the board, both offensively and defensively.
Wouldn't the new equipment grappleshot, drop wall etc give you far more gameplay options though? The dash was OK but it was a cheap get out of trouble card. In the old days it took skill to turn the tables on your opponents. Infinite is going in the right direction now for the first time under 343, you want dash? We have a game for you pal! but this ain't it.

It's definitely not the MOST amazing looking game, however, it's the best Halo has ever looked. Up close details are very well done, however, the way the engine hands further away objects and sprites is to be desired in my honest opinion. I'm just happy it looks like a true Halo game and looks fantastic doing so.

Last edited:
It's definitely not the MOST amazing looking game, however, it's the best Halo has ever looked. Up close details are very well done, however, the way the engine hands further away objects and sprites is to be desired in my honest opinion. I'm just happy it looks like a true Halo game and looks fantastic doing so.
First of all it's a beta (not final code) secondly it looks bloody good for a free to play MP. The campaign will look 3 or 4 times better going by previous Halo's.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I have one, I hate paddles, they feel like ass to me. I don't use them.

the only time I used paddles was in Halo 5 because that game had the worst premade button configs ever
Ah ok. That’s unfortunate for you. I use them for pretty much every single game and it gives you far more control than a normal controller.

Nah it just brought too much unpredictability to movement and gunplay. Too far from being punished for poor map movement or gunplay engaging of classic Halo for me.

It also created extreme movement chains that were unwanted or unaware for most players. Literally traverse a map twice as fast or attack an enemy before even latency online had a chance to be registered of the attack and then react for counter still.
I think this is where I differ from most of the halo classic diehards, and it was the same with the titanfall 2 crew - I don’t want predictable. People aren’t predictable. Life isn’t predictable. I don’t want everything in a multiplayer video game to be predictable because it shouldn’t be. That’s why I hate single player games, they’re predictable and boring because AI is complete garbage for the most part.

What it did was allow better players to get even better. Skill trumped everything. It gave better players more tools to help them survive and win.

Last edited:

twilo99

Honestly, these videos just speak for themselves. The texturing and shader work is just unbelievably good. The campaign just has to be really damn good, something truly special, and Microsoft has themselves a mega hit on their hands.

Yeah, I gotta see this for myself.

Downloaded the beta on steam today so looking forward for the weekend and how my 6800xt does

MrFunSocks

Banned
Wouldn't the new equipment grappleshot, drop wall etc give you far more gameplay options though? The dash was OK but it was a cheap get out of trouble card. In the old days it took skill to turn the tables on your opponents. Infinite is going in the right direction now for the first time under 343, you want dash? We have a game for you pal! but this ain't it.
The new equipment isn’t standard for all players at all times. I do love the new equipment, but it’s not the same thing.

Does someone have a friend code they could send me! Please send me a DM with it I’d really appreciate it!! Haven’t gotten a chance to play

edit: received one thank u ❤️

Last edited:

That's fine if you see it different. I'm personally just super excited to see a Halo game, in my view, finally nail the look a modern Halo has always needed while managing that careful balance between realistic, modern and Halo's stylized aesthetic. Halo at the same time that it's meant to be seen as grounded and real from a military aspect, you're still dealing with a pretty fantastical world where super soldiers exist, and where threats from ancient alien species and their dormant technology are a thing. Then you also have modern day alien threats that are part of the universe, whether that be the banished, flood, covenant remnants, possible forerunners who may still secretly be around, the possibility of forerunner tech acting on its own. So you always suspend disbelief to a certain degree where Halo is concerned on the realism side of things.

But there's still a side that wants to be viewed as "real", just not Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare or Battlefield real. It's always had a kind of cartoon vibe/cell shaded vibe to it for me. It's part of the reason why updating Halo to look more modern graphically whilst at the same time still looking "correct" and maintaining that art style was always such a challenge. I believe this team at 343 has finally managed to drag Halo into the future whist still maintaining its visual identity. It looks distinct from everything else out there.

I remember back when 343 was first formed, a ton of people went to go work there specifically because Sparth had joined. The December Inside Infinite actually gave everybody a refresher on the team in charge of Art & Graphics. And to this day, the December, January and February updates all remain the best reservoirs of information on this game's graphical ambitions and its campaign. Just a sample from December.

NB: Hi, my name is Nicolas “Sparth” Bouvier and I have been a senior Concept Artist and Art Director for 343 Industries since 2009. My role in the studio and within the team is actually very clear: making sure we are conveying a unified visual direction for Halo Infinite, based on specific pre-established pillars that represent the backbone of our aesthetic. With the help of our two Associate Art Directors, Darren Bacon and Martin Deschambault, we review all assets (environments, characters, vehicles, and weapons) that make it into the game, from start to finish. We basically look for three conditions: making sure all assets fit into the gameplay needs, that they fit into the Halo Aesthetic and Legacy, and finally, that they look awesome.

NH: Hi, my name’s Neill Harrison and I’m the Director of Art Management at 343 Industries, working on Halo Infinite. I’ve been managing the Art team since Halo 4, and the way I would describe my role is that Sparth, as our Art Director, provides the artistic direction for our game, and my role as his partner is to build and manage the Art team that executes on this vision.

AS: Hi, I am Ani Shastry, and I have been the Development Manager for the Graphics team on Halo Infinite over the last two and a half years. All the graphics engineering initiatives for this project roll up through me, and my teams and I collaborate very closely with Neill’s and Sparth’s teams on the visual fidelity of Halo Infinite.

Internally I remember we discussed the feedback with two key areas in mind – visual fidelity and art style. Before we get into the former, can you briefly touch on the latter and help clarify our intentions as it relates to the overall art style of Halo Infinite?

NB:
From a player’s perspective, I absolutely must mention that I have been sort of a child of Bungie’s Marathon from 1994. It was the very first FPS game I got hooked on, and a lot of its original DNA prevailed in Halo several years later. All this to say, I have always been very attached to visual continuity, especially for such a large franchise. I felt that Halo 5, despite many successes, didn’t take player feedback enough into account, and many felt the game’s visuals were deviating off course. It was vital to embed Halo Infinite within very stable foundations that would borrow from the past as well as making sure that any new assets would convey a sense of legacy that would resonate with all players, old-timers and newcomers alike.

We knew it wouldn’t be trivial to combine the cleaner and simpler forms of classic games like Halo 1 or 2 with the next-gen requirements and expectations of Halo Infinite. Merging both was going to be a challenge, but we stood close to our visual principles and made it work in the best way, one day at a time. We managed to find a balance of modernized visuals combined with a classic aesthetic that will definitely speak to all, and we couldn’t be more proud of this

There’s no denying that the return to a classic art style immediately evokes the unmistakable look and feel of Halo. When it comes to visual fidelity, the team has been making progress since July as we can see in some of the latest images we’re sharing here today. Can you talk about some of the specific areas the team has been working on?

AS:
On the graphics technology front we have made improvements along with fixing bugs that were inherent to some of the techniques, as well as iterating and polishing the features that were still in development.

Some of the key areas of progress include better quality of global illumination, ambient occlusion, shadows, volumetric lighting, sky, and atmosphere. We have also addressed issues with our GPU-driven rendering and texture streaming solution that should mitigate the LOD popping and texture quality issues that were prevalent in the July demo.

There is more to be done, of course, and we are actively partnering with Neill’s and Sparth’s teams to drive the visual quality forward from both an engineering as well as an artistic front.

NH: In addition to the graphics tech changes, we have made a lot of improvements on the Art/Content side across all disciplines such as Environment, Lighting, Weapons, FX and more. There is too much to cover here but I’ll just talk through some of the more impactful changes in my mind….

Firstly, there’s been a lot of work done re-tuning our dynamic lighting values to add more punch and contrast to the image. These included adjustments to our sun intensity, fog/atmosphere, and the addition of color grading which did not make it into the July gameplay demo.

We’ve improved some of our materials to get more specular response, more wear-and-tear on weapons/vehicles, more fidelity in our characters, and more macro breakup on large surfaces like rocks, terrain, and the hex walls. We’re now also getting more of our textural detail coming through to the final frame thanks to a sharpening process that our graphics team have added. This helps offset some of the natural blurring of temporal anti-aliasing and it certainly helps our assets shine.

We're eager to show the progress the team has made in Campaign as soon we can, but we want to make sure we have all the right pieces coming together and this can be tricky with a lot of moving parts and an expansive world of this scope. We know everyone is keen to see more and we look forward to sharing more in future updates in the months ahead.

Speaking of improvements on the art/content side, one big outcome from our demo was the emergence of the now world-renowned “Craig.” While we and the internet have come to love dear Craig, we know he wasn’t his “best self” back in July. Can you give us any updates on Craig as he stands today?

NH: Firstly, I can confirm that the facial animation on NPCs was not fully implemented in that build, which resulted in Craig’s incredibly deadpan/lifeless look. All characters are modelled in a neutral pose, prior to blendshapes & animation being applied. So, poor old Craig was never intended to be seen in that condition which is not something that was evident during the gameplay. It was only later, in the close-up freeze frame of his one bad moment, where it came to light and the legend of Craig was born.

There’s been further work done on the material fidelity and more variety added for Brute faces, we’re also working to add some hairdos and beards which was something we hadn’t gotten to in July. So, whilst we have come to love our dear old Craig, he’s certainly undergoing a significant makeover.

Craig isn’t the only model to see improvements though, there have been significant changes to other characters & 3D models as we continue to evolve and polish our content, some of which can be seen in the Spartan and weapon renders being shared today.

In today’s update, we’re providing the first glimpses of an interior space via one of Halo Infinite’s work-in-progress multiplayer maps. From a content and graphics perspective, how is the approach similar – and different – when it comes to the look and feel of these more intimate traditional spaces vs. the open and expansive outdoor environments?

AS:
From a graphics technology perspective, the majority of the rendering pipeline and rendering techniques are shared between interior and exterior spaces. Very similar shading models, shadowing algorithms, and post processing effects are used in either case.

Where the primary difference comes into play is the sheer density of content in the expansive outdoor environment and the challenges that brings in authoring the content at scale, and then at runtime efficiently streaming all that data and rendering it at a smooth 60 frames per second at high resolutions. Another difference that is unique to the exterior environment is the seamless time of day, which requires a more dynamic global illumination approach, along with providing various knobs to control the elements of lighting, sky and atmospherics, and color grading as time progresses

This is the first time that a game in the Halo franchise has had to tackle either of these challenges, and so the team had to spend a lot of cycles building and optimizing engine and toolchain functionality to facilitate this experience in Halo Infinite.

NH:
At a high level, the approach and our processes are pretty similar between the two, we go through the same stages of construction and polish for our modelling, texturing and lighting and we are always building our assets in a modular way that facilitates their reuse in different scenarios.

The big difference is that typically our interior spaces are somewhat more linear, controlled, and constructed spaces built from hard surfaces, meaning lots of metals, reflections and more curated lighting. When creating the large & open natural environments, this involves many more organic assets, meaning our biomes and terrain are one of the main focuses

Obviously with Multiplayer maps, collaboration with designers is key. Layout, sight lines, and player navigation are crucial and are all things that we iterate on constantly as we fine tune the experience.

There’s something really cool about the juxtaposition between the intimate and expansive spaces in Halo Infinite and whilst they each offer different challenges, they should bring a nice balance and variety to the experience.

The extra time has already yielded progress on the visual fidelity front, but we’re still not done. Can you talk some about remaining priorities and work the team is focused on?

AS:
On the graphics engineering side, we have a team that is continuing to polish up the last bits of feature work on lighting, global illumination, and atmospherics. We are also iterating very closely with Neill’s teams on making sure our content creators can take full advantage of all the cool technologies we have built over the last couple of years. Another group of graphics developers is staying heads-down on optimizing the end-to-end rendering pipeline so that we can deliver a great experience on resolution and performance, across all our target platforms, to our players.

NH
: On the Art side it’s mostly further polish and bringing it all together, we have a concept of “Content Complete”, where we get all of our content into the build and then we have time after that to assess holistically and further polish areas that would benefit the most. Often times, significant improvements are made after our Content Complete milestones. Set dressing, mask painting, texture/material improvements, FX/Lighting tweaking and animation polish/variety are all still being worked on.

We’ve made significant improvements on our foliage, trees and grass, both in terms of rendering, fidelity and how we maintain that over distance, but this is another area still being worked on and fidelity will further improve. We’re excited to show you as soon as we’re able to bring things together and showcase the work in the best light.

A little note dropped at the tail end of the January update.

• "Here’s something that excites me as an engineering architect: for Halo Infinite, we rebuilt the engine multi-threading solution to ensure high execution efficiency across all platforms and PCs, instead of running optimally just on Xbox One. We used this new system to transition the renderer to a massively parallel multi-threaded framework to support the increased cost of all our new rendering features and achieve high graphics efficiency on PC CPUs of various size as well as Xbox Series X/S and Xbox One X/S hardware. In practice, this means that we are doing our very best to make sure Halo Infinite runs optimally on any device you may choose to play on!" - Daniele Giannetti, Game Foundation Architect

Banned
Ah ok. That’s unfortunate for you. I use them for pretty much every single game and it gives you far more control than a normal controller.

with the layout I use I don't really need them, and I can use my layout on every controller
I play on every console so for me it's important to have a consistent layout on very console... and yes there are third party controllers but they all suck, without exception, something is always wrong with them (wrong deadzone, wrong sensitivity curve, high latency, low quality parts etc.)

MrFunSocks

Banned
with the layout I use I don't really need them, and I can use my layout on every controller
I play on every console so for me it's important to have a consistent layout on very console... and yes there are third party controllers but they all suck, without exception, something is always wrong with them (wrong deadzone, wrong sensitivity curve, high latency, low quality parts etc.)
I get that, but you still can’t press ABXY while using the right thumb stick with your layout like you can with an elite.

Banned
I get that, but you still can’t press ABXY while using the right thumb stick with your layout like you can with an elite.

yeah but I don't need to aim while reloading or switching weapons. melee attacks in most shooters have a really generous auto lock on so it's not an issue to let go of the stick for that either.

I basically have stuff on ABXY that doesn't need me to aim precisely while performing the action that is bound to them. I don't need a paddle to reload my gun or switch guns.

the only real issue I have in Infinite so far is the equipment, the grapple hook needs precise aim, so I would like to have that on RB, but on the other hand grenades, which you use way more often, also need pretty precise aim and I want those on RB as well...

this would not be an issue if the game had an auto Sprint option so that my left stick is freed up for something important instead of Sprint

yeah but I don't need to aim while reloading or switching weapons. melee attacks in most shooters have a really generous auto lock on so it's not an issue to let go of the stick for that either.

I basically have stuff on ABXY that doesn't need me to aim precisely while performing the action that is bound to them. I don't need a paddle to reload my gun or switch guns.

the only real issue I have in Infinite so far is the equipment, the grapple hook needs precise aim, so I would like to have that on RB, but on the other hand grenades, which you use way more often, also need pretty precise aim and I want those on RB as well...

this would not be an issue if the game had an auto Sprint option so that my left stick is freed up for something important instead of Sprint
Really disagree on the melee thing,

In warzone I came up with a funky ass controller layout I had to make in the xbox settings, bumper jumper with melee on RB, and for lethals and equipment I'd claw grip to aim and use it.

It's weird but I find having melee something easily and readily accessible has saved my ass many times

Last edited:
That seems very plausible, it looks really good.

I heard someone mention "Indexed Value Blending", to give that look of "high frequency textures" from older times.

The disclosed technology concerns methods, apparatus, and systems for generating material property values (e.g., color values or texturing values) for use in rendering an image in a memory efficient manner while also maintaining or enhancing detail perception in the image at any resolution.

Last edited:
They need to fix the aiming ASAP, I’m hearing a lot of complaints about it on keyboard and controller

What's weird is I'm hearing many say the aiming is perfectly fine. Make sure everybody has their latest controller firmware. I'm wondering if maybe not updating the controller firmware is leading to worse results than some would otherwise be getting. Go into settings and update your firmware if it hasn't been, just in case.

TIGERCOOL

hate to beg but I didn't get my friend code email and I have a buddy who's dying to try it but hasn't caught an invite... anyone got a spare?

MrFunSocks

Banned

You should still be aiming while reloading and switching weapons.

I think the reaction to this past weekend made them decide to let everyone in this weekend. Best marketing for the game possible.
I think it's more likely that they just want to do bigger stress tests now.

Last edited:
I think this is where I differ from most of the halo classic diehards, and it was the same with the titanfall 2 crew - I don’t want predictable. People aren’t predictable. Life isn’t predictable. I don’t want everything in a multiplayer video game to be predictable because it shouldn’t be. That’s why I hate single player games, they’re predictable and boring because AI is complete garbage for the most part.

What it did was allow better players to get even better. Skill trumped everything. It gave better players more tools to help them survive and win.
I totally get that, I just think that's a diminishing population over a long period of time. I enjoy watching vids/streams where such skills are on show and I understand wanting a high skill gap. However when I sit down to play do I want to have to coffee/energy drink/ritalin it up to compete with people that play the game near 24/7? Nope. I don't expect to be top tier, I'm mid 40s and know where I fall on the scale of competitive hardcore play. Honestly there's so many controls these days that extra feature or button is just one too many. I'm already searching and having to configure my Elite 2 controller to handle Infinite's equipment without taking thumbs off sticks. It doesn't need to be that way.

In terms of the gameplay it's just too much sliding one way, jumping another, dashing again another vector, hopping and crouching all along the merry way. To me a fair part of the skill is the movement, map position, weapon control, team coordination etc. When you have all these additions to the overall sandbox, such as dash, in play for me it reduces a lot of outcomes to "that player can aim and dodge their way out of any 1v1 scenario". It's just too much and lacks that punishment of all the other elements of play for me. Beyond that it becomes essentially a twitch shooter basically, and that's just not Halo to me.

I think that's why we find Halo 5 multiplayer was very well received but ultimately dies off in population by comparison to say MCC, the niche it supports equates to dwindling population long term. It's the ultra skilled within specifics of gameplay and map design. Things like weapon balance and movement I find the hardcore/pros immensely helpful to the overall experience quality. Allowing the hardcore to dictate too much to the overall game alienates the masses and fun factors of the game.

Last edited:
Hopefully you unlock dash early on and keep it for the entire campaign so people can see how it enhances the gameplay.

Wait a minute, what's dash? You referring to the thrusters from Halo 5? If so, I thought those were pretty badass how it allowed you to just change direction mid-air.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Wait a minute, what's dash? You referring to the thrusters from Halo 5? If so, I thought those were pretty badass how it allowed you to just change direction mid-air.
Yeah the thrusters. Apparently almost everyone in this thread hates them and think that they make the game worse. I dunno, I give up. The halo diehards just want Halo 3 repackaged over and over and over.

Yeah the thrusters. Apparently almost everyone in this thread hates them and think that they make the game worse. I dunno, I give up. The halo diehards just want Halo 3 repackaged over and over and over.

Hell no, those thrusters were game changing. And I didn't fully realize just how much till the very last set of fireteam osiris missions in Halo 5. Being able to jump into the air, and then suddenly change directions mid air was friggin huuuuuge!

If I'm not mistaken, we could also do it after hovering in the air for a little bit too, right?

elliot5

i liked the thrusters in the context of halo 5. I didn't care for the thrust shoulder tackle on the ground 'mechanic' to break through walls (just unnecessary), and the pause mid-air and the ground pound stuff though. It was cool to use in a shootout and when jumping though

elliot5

Do i need a code to play this weekend or will halo infinitw insider work?
if you were in the last one, you don't need to do anything. If you were not in the last one, and want to play on Xbox all you need is the Xbox Insider Hub app on console. If you were not in the last one, and want to play on PC, you need someone to give you their friend code and add it on halowaypoint.com/redeem and get a steam key that way

if you were in the last one, you don't need to do anything. If you were not in the last one, and want to play on Xbox all you need is the Xbox Insider Hub app on console. If you were not in the last one, and want to play on PC, you need someone to give you their friend code and add it on halowaypoint.com/redeem and get a steam key that way
I downloaded the Halo Infinite - insider on the hub. It would on October 1?

Banned

thrusters are alright.

as a Halo 3 fan all I want is NO FUCKING CLAMBER... and no base movement abilities that limit the use of your weapon/melee/grenade

sadly Halo 5's thrusters did limit that. you couldn't shoot or do anything while using them, which sucks.

if Infinite had thrusters that didn't lower your weapon and let you shoot, throw nades or melee while using them, I would have no issue with them.

but if I was the lead on this game my perfect movement design for it would be:

Omnidirectional Sprint! yes, omnidirectional! Meaning you can Sprint foreads, backwards... any direction you want... YOU ARE A DAMN ROIDED UP, MECHANICALLY ENHANCED SPARTAN AFTER ALL!
you always have your weapon ready as well, while sprinting you only hold it with one hand, so you can not scope in, but that's the only limitation while sprinting. should you scope in your movement speed will go down to walking speed, but scoping in is still instantaneous with no delay

NO CLAMBER!!! fuck that shit!

Double Jump, that lets you change direction mid air and gives you about as much hight it takes to clamber up a wall in Infinite,
basically seamlessly replacing clamber while adding fun movement options.

Slide, you perform it by pressing crouch while sprinting in any direction, or before landing during a jump.
and it would have similar use cases as Thrusters in 5, but you can only do it on the ground, of course

Base movement speed 120% of Reach

Grenade jumps, rocket jumps and similar physics based movement is encouraged

that is my perfect Halo evolution...

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
thrusters are alright.

as a Halo 3 fan all I want is NO FUCKING CLAMBER... and no base movement abilities that limit the use of your weapon/melee/grenade

sadly Halo 5's thrusters did limit that. you couldn't shoot or do anything while using them, which sucks.

if Infinite had thrusters that didn't lower your weapon and let you shoot, throw nades or melee while using them, I would have no issue with them.

but if I was the lead on this game my perfect movement design for it would be:

Omnidirectional Sprint! yes, omnidirectional! Meaning you can Sprint foreads, backwards... any direction you want... YOU ARE A DAMN ROIDED UP, MECHANICALLY ENHANCED SPARTAN AFTER ALL!
you always have your weapon ready as well, while sprinting you only hold it with one hand, so you can not scope in, but that's the only limitation while sprinting. should you scope in your movement speed will go down to walking speed, but scoping in is still instantaneous with no delay

NO CLAMBER!!! fuck that shit!

Double Jump, that lets you change direction mid air and gives you about as much hight it takes to clamber up a wall in Infinite,
basically seamlessly replacing clamber while adding fun movement options.

Slide, you perform it by pressing crouch while sprinting in any direction, or before landing during a jump.
and it would have similar use cases as Thrusters in 5, but you can only do it on the ground, of course

Base movement speed 120% of Reach

Grenade jumps, rocket jumps and similar physics based movement is encouraged

that is my perfect Halo evolution...
This i can get behind. That’s my main problem with “classic” halo and why I loved all the new movement options and attacks in 5 - in classic halo you don’t feel like a Spartan super soldier, just a slow lumbering tank. Spartans aren’t slow, they’re super agile and fast. Spartan suits would have all sorts of enhancements, and the thrusters are a perfect fit.

Clamber I like even if it has double jump tbh, purely because it makes sense - if you can get that close to a ledge then why wouldn’t you be able to grab it and climb up? That’s what you’d do in real life, especially as a Spartan in a firefight.

I just don’t like that a game in late 2021 still adheres to a movement system that was limited as it was due to essentially hardware and generational constraints that were removed literally decades ago.

Last edited:
I just don’t like that a game in late 2021 still adheres to a movement system that was limited as it was due to essentially hardware and generational constraints that were removed literally decades ago.

How is it limited? Halo's gameplay to me was pure because you could always have your gun up and strafing/jumping was key in fights. The simplicity is what is appealing.

For some reason people people think for an fps game to be modern it has to be cluttered with bullshit and be like every other game. Halo 5's "enhanced mobility" was nothing but a gimmick that got in the way of gameplay so it could try and be like Titanfall and CoD at the time. Halo 4 and 5's attempts at Halo/CoD fusion were failures because it didn't feel enough like Halo and wasn't as enjoyable as CoD so they end up not appealing to either of the two groups they were aiming for.

I play modern FPS games all the time but I still come back to MCC because Halo's gameplay is so unique compared to everything else out there. It seems 343 is finally realizing this after 9 years.

Top Bottom