• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

jigglet

Banned
Could you show me some off the top of your head? Especially on the physics side.

i play warzone regularly and it’s no where near as good even at max on pc

This is the only geometry I've seen that screams last gen to me that I've seen, but I'm sure there's more. Look at the edge of that rock lol, it's almost perfectly straight. I can also see the texture seam on the left (north east of the radar):

YIqayrr.jpg

Last edited:
What controls setup are people using with Infinite? I'm finding myself short one button/action for keeping my two thumbs on the sticks all the time. I'm thinking I want to map equipment to one of my Elite 2 paddles as I'm having to take my right thumb off to use say grappleshot, which is far from ideal.

Banned
What controls setup are people using with Infinite? I'm finding myself short one button/action for keeping my two thumbs on the sticks all the time. I'm thinking I want to map equipment to one of my Elite 2 paddles as I'm having to take my right thumb off to use say grappleshot, which is far from ideal.

A - Use Equipment
B - Melee
X - Reload/Interact
Y - Switch Weapon / Drop Weapon
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
LS - Sprint
RB - Grenade
RT - Shoot
RS - Crouch / Slide

(dpad and View/Menu is standard)

I am using roughly this button layout for almost any shooter nowadays. I don't like paddles and want to avoid them (especially since I'm multiplat, so I can't get used to them on Xbox and then not have them on PS5 etc.)
LB for Jump and RS for crouch is a must for me, I am a bit more flexible with the rest.

my Apex Legends layout for comparison:
A - Sprint (the game has auto sprint, which I have on, halo needs this option IMO as well!)
B - Melee
X - Reload/Interact
Y - Switch Weapon
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
LS - Ping
RB - Legend Ability
RT - Shoot
RS - Crouch / Slide

Last edited:
A - Use Equipment
B - Melee
X - Reload/Interact
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
LS - Sprint
RB - Grenade
RT - Shoot
RS - Crouch / Slide

I am using roughly this button layout for almost any shooter nowadays. I don't like paddles and want to avoid them (especially since I'm multiplat, so I can't get used to them on Xbox and then not have them on PS5 etc.)
Close to a perfect loadout, I'm still looking at the A button for equipment though. You have to take your thumb off a stick to use it. I was playing around with the grappleshot on behemoth yesterday and it's really useful to aim continuously while using the grappleshot. I get wanting the same universal setup across all platforms. Personally I even use my Elite 2 on PC for gaming so I have the same setup everywhere, well except Ninty games.

jigglet

Banned
Based on the last few Halo games, what are the chances they release new guns post-release? I loved the SMG from Halo 5, what are the chances we see it return?

Banned
Close to a perfect loadout, I'm still looking at the A button for equipment though. You have to take your thumb off a stick to use it. I was playing around with the grappleshot on behemoth yesterday and it's really useful to aim continuously while using the grappleshot. I get wanting the same universal setup across all platforms. Personally I even use my Elite 2 on PC for gaming so I have the same setup everywhere, well except Ninty games.

I might actually switch Grenade and Equipment around, because you don't need to be that precise with the grenades as compared to the grapple. but then again, the grapple shot is the only equipment that needs precision...
it's a hard choise.

if they gave the game an auto sprint option (which they should because sprint is basically not even a real thing in this game) I would have a button free to bind one of these to it.
I think I would bind equipment to LS if auto sprint was a thing.

I might actually switch Grenade and Equipment around, because you don't need to be that precise with the grenades as compared to the grapple. but then again, the grapple shot is the only equipment that needs precision...
it's a hard choise.

if they gave the game an auto sprint option (which they should because sprint is basically not even a real thing in this game) I would have a button free to bind one of these to it.
Nice idea. I like what Apex does with auto-sprint too. Hell I'd also like to see Infinite's slide more like Apex's slide too.

jigglet

Banned

I agree with this.

Banned
Nice idea. I like what Apex does with auto-sprint too. Hell I'd also like to see Infinite's slide more like Apex's slide too.

nothing beats the slide in Apex in terms of feel.

auto sprint is very common these days, so I am surprised that Infinite doesn't have it.
Call of Duty, Apex, Titanfall 2, Splitgate, Fortnite... they all have that option. and honestly, why do we even have analog sticks if we don't use their analog nature to determine how fast we move? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

jigglet

Banned
Hell I'd also like to see Infinite's slide more like Apex's slide too.

I'd love this too but it's not going to happen. They've purposely nerfed sliding so it's not used as a mobility tool, but rather an option to make a quick escape. They don't want people slipping and sliding around and chaining jumps to slides to jumps etc. They've designed it so the only time you should be using slide is to make a quick escape from a gun fight when you're low on health.

Think about how rigid sliding is in this game:
  • You can't break out of a slide, once you slide you're locked into the animation. Jumping is the only way to break out of it unfortunately. You can't hit the sprint button to continue on your way.
  • You can't jump and break directly into a slide the moment you touch the ground.
I don't think it's rigid by accident - I think it's intentional after how many people complained about the speed of Halo 5. It's very much by design.

So I don't think they will touch sliding at all.

Last edited:

Banned
I'd love this too but it's not going to happen. They've purposely nerfed sliding so it's not used as a mobility tool, but rather an option to make a quick escape. They don't want people slipping and sliding around and chaining jumps to slides to jumps etc. They've designed it so the only time you should be using slide is to make a quick escape from a gun fight when you're low on health.

• You can't break out of a slide, once you slide you're locked into the animation. Jumping is the only way to break out of it unfortunately. You can't hit the sprint button to continue on your way.
  • You can't jump and break directly into a slide the moment you touch the ground.
I don't think it's rigid by accident - I think it's intentional after how many people complained about the speed of Halo 5. It's very much by design.

technically you can drop out of a sprint jump into a slide, but it doesn't feel good because it does the initial start-up animation of the slide if you do that... feels a bit weird

jigglet

Banned
and honestly, why do we even have analog sticks if we don't use their analog nature to determine how fast we move? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I have been saying this for 10 years now. They have FUCKING ANALOGUE STICKS.

You know where it came from? Because FPS originated on PC where there is no analogue movement, so devs just lazily copied the control scheme to console. Fucking lazzzzzzy.

I get all that on flat ground or uphill etc where Halo 5 mobility was too much and failed in that regard IMO. However, Infinite I feel could benefit when going downhill to enable slide and jump chain a little etc. Right now you just grind to a halt and lose momentum no matter flat, uphill or downhill etc.

jigglet

Banned
technically you can drop out of a sprint jump into a slide, but it doesn't feel good because it does the initial start-up animation of the slide if you do that... feels a bit weird

That's what I mean, I'm not even including that cause it's not really intended that's why it's so rough. If you're looking at the actual intended, as-designed mechanics, then it's very limited, but again that's by design...for better or for worse.

jigglet

Banned
The texture details/quality are exceeding my expectations for the game. No idea what they are doing, but its certainly working very well.

You're preaching to the choir. I 100% agree. I'm just explaining why it won't change...it's not just a rough edge that they will iron out. It's by design, love it or hate it.

Naked Lunch

01011001 01011001 Playing Halo on a controller without grenades on LT is pure blasphemy. WTF is wrong with you?

Now that the Honeymoon period is over for me, Infinite in this current state is fun. Its miles better than Halo 4, its ahead of Halo 5 - but still far behind Halo 2 and especially 3 in my opinion. Infinite is still too fucking fast, chaotic, and manic in its gunfights and skirmishes. Strongholds on Recharge is Halo on speed.

I played MCC Halo 3 directly after Flight 2 and H3 just has that timeless Halo sauce. There's a rhythm to H3's gameplay that has yet to be matched after all these years. Not everything has to be fast as hell.
Infinite is fun - it is its own thing - ill play it to death - but its still no Halo 3.

Banned
01011001 01011001 Playing Halo on a controller without grenades on LT is pure blasphemy. WTF is wrong with you?

I know I know, I was like you until not too long ago, and classic Halo still requires me to use the Recon layout for me to not break my brain trying to play them...
Like, I literally can't play Halo 3 with any other layout but Recon, even tho i play Apex Legends daily with my layout, as soon as I play Halo 3 or Reach my brain needs the Recon layout or I will freaking mispress every other second lol

but as Halo gets more complex in terms of abilities you have to adapt.

also I want to unify my controller layout across all games, and the one I have is the one that works for almost anything I throw at it so far. and I instantly started playing Infinite with my layout so my brain won't attack me like it does in the old games should i want to switch later lol

Last edited:

Banned
I do this a lot too. I hate switching games and taking hours to get back into the grove of it.

this,

plus in shooters, for me it is important nowadays that I have jump and crouch instantly available to me without letting go of my Sticks due to the playstyle I developed over the years.
having Jump on LB and Crouch on RS just feels liberating in a way, all your movement is right there for you at any time, making dodging and weaving around feel so much more natural

A - Use Equipment
B - Melee
X - Reload/Interact
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
LS - Sprint
RB - Grenade
RT - Shoot
RS - Crouch / Slide

LB for Jump and RS for crouch is a must for me, I am a bit more flexible with the rest.

my Apex Legends layout for comparison:
A - Sprint (the game has auto sprint, which I have on, halo needs this option IMO as well!)
B - Melee
X - Reload/Interact
Y - Switch Weapon
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
LS - Ping
RB - Legend Ability
RT - Shoot
RS - Crouch / Slide
LT for scope still hurts to see, I just don’t see the point for this game.

melee has to be on bumper too, or somewhere accessible

Classic. You'll love hearing I mapped grenades to LB then. No need to waste a trigger and slow down the grenade output. They also changed the grenade trajectory a bit, there's a drop off in the arc at the end that's having me short my nades a bit still while I get used to it.

jigglet

Banned
I'm on PC and I've completely removed scope from right click. I've never done this with any game before but it's close to useless in Halo Infinite and I thought I'd free up one of the most important buttons in this game for something more deserving. I've moved scope to one of the side buttons on my mouse for the rare times I need a scope.

The texture details/quality are exceeding my expectations for the game. No idea what they are doing, but its certainly working very well.

My suspicion for some time has been that they're are doing it using this technique shown here.

Sampler Feedback Streaming.

01011001 01011001
Now that the Honeymoon period is over for me, Infinite in this current state is fun. Its miles better than Halo 4, its ahead of Halo 5 - but still far behind Halo 2 and especially 3 in my opinion. Infinite is still too fucking fast, chaotic, and manic in its gunfights and skirmishes. Strongholds on Recharge is Halo on speed.

I played MCC Halo 3 directly after Flight 2 and H3 just has that timeless Halo sauce. There's a rhythm to H3's gameplay that has yet to be matched after all these years. Not everything has to be fast as hell.
Infinite is fun - it is its own thing - ill play it to death - but its still no Halo 3.

Solid points and this is especially my reaction to the Recharge map. It's literally watered down arena on crack. Too fast, chaotic, far too many sight lines/room openings and generally you kill then die, repeat (maybe pick up a double or triple when opportune). In one major room there is 6 different openings and 2.5 levels of verticality to watch for, it's just too much. There is also waaay too much grenade spam on this map and it's very clear this map is designed around slaying with the grav hammer with a sprinkling of hiding from the new radar killing sprinters. I actually dislike this map and play style in Halo but for their design targets they did pretty much nail it.

Now Behemoth is all classic Halo for me. Sweet flag runs, good sight lines indoors, clear power weapons, light vehicles and generally just great flows. It's that mid range combat but indoors if you want it without feeling trapped, can be caught out by vehicles but not dominated, you can traverse the map easily through the mid or around the sides, you can go for a quick run in a vehicle with a buddy, you can gun with a turret. You can defend your flag with a sniper while your team attacks, you can grappleshot around very well but it doesn't feel cheap against the enemies positions...it just has so much Halo in it.

Completely agree with your take on Halo 2 and 3 being timeless and their in game rhythms are still unmatched. I will definitely play Infinite a shit load, I'll reserve judgement over say the next 12 months to see how I feel about it against the likes of Halo 2/3.

I'm really wanting a BR mode and coop (more talking about PvE Destiny style content) with Infinite. I hope they arrive next year but I'm very happy with what 343 are bringing to the table with Infinite so far. The bots and customising are really going to be something special when combined with mods and forge.

All of that said it really is a testament to having brilliant map design. Nail that and the replayability follows.

EDIT: speaking of which, here's a little something I found interesting when playing around in playfight mode, skip to 2.15. The bots are all stuck in the same position and loop then all follow the same exact pathing, once they face and actual decision/map point literally all 3 do different things. I'm very curious how much will be discovered about the bots patterns, logic, map triggers/volumes etc.

I was also messing around wanting to get to the top of the tower. I'm thinking and explosion off a mancannon, with a repulse, then equip grappleshot and see if you can beat the kill counter.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Here We Go Eye Roll GIF

The weapons fall, bounce/slide ever so slightly and spark on impact while the grenade rolls. The Spartan fall animation is excellent, showcasing proper weight.

USspxzV.jpg

There's nothing remotely last gen screaming about either the game's geometry or physics. You can see intricate model detail on objects like the warthog, right down to the suspension and and other small details such as the wheels. This level of detail is present in many parts of the game. The physics are the way they are for the purpose of the game, and there are plenty of examples that showcases the game's physics are actually rather good. You can really see the warthog suspension changing and adjusting to the terrain it's moving on. And just what is your definition of next-gen physics for a videogame focused on fighting aliens and other super soldiers anyway? The game even has individual, piece by piece destruction of vehicles.

As far as the texture work is concerned, why wouldn't people be impressed? The quality, richness and variety on display are insane. It doesn't appear as if there is a single texture anywhere in the entire game that doesn't look unbelievable. The game's performance is also fantastic, it has incredible lighting, great atmospherics and visual effects, stunning attention to detail. Literally every thing is readable down to the smallest of decals or product labeling. Insignificant objects are packing really nice geometry and detail. So, yea, I couldn't disagree with you more, this game looks unbelievable, one of the best I've seen, and it's only just the MP. What the hell is the Campaign going to look like then?

Very much agree. Based on their comment, they just seem like a salty PC player who couldn’t get into the beta

All they have to do is make sure they don't do the Chief dirty and we're good. I can trust Staten on that much at least and hope he's on board for future Halo Infinite Campaigns.

I love the way you said this. I think we'll be getting future big budget Halo singleplayer campaigns as part of the existing Halo Infinite release. I wonder, would they release those free, or treat them as DLC that you pay for? I think they should make the very first one entirely free simply because I don't think anything like that has ever been done before with a big budget singleplayer project. Then for the follow-ups they can charge a price, maybe something in the range of $24-$30.

I don't know what makes the most sense, but I would love to see at least one more AAA singleplayer campaign released as part of the Halo Infinite package before the generation is out.

YukiOnna

I love the way you said this. I think we'll be getting future big budget Halo singleplayer campaigns as part of the existing Halo Infinite release. I wonder, would they release those free, or treat them as DLC that you pay for? I think they should make the very first one entirely free simply because I don't think anything like that has ever been done before with a big budget singleplayer project. Then for the follow-ups they can charge a price, maybe something in the range of $24-$30.

I don't know what makes the most sense, but I would love to see at least one more AAA singleplayer campaign released as part of the Halo Infinite package before the generation is out.
I think we'll be getting a mix of small story campaigns (covering other characters) which will be free and then major ones that deal with Master Chief's next adventure that will be paid on top of other updates be it graphical, gameplay or other overhauls. From the Waypoint blogs, they haven't dropped that Infinite is a live service platform and I think it was a good move. Staten also has experience from being on the Destiny team to make the right moves.

jigglet

Banned
By the way if you guys want to keep playing just don't turn off your computer / xbox. My PC has been on since the beta ended and I can still play. I've been dipping in and out of it all day.

YukiOnna

Detailed Schedule for Weekend 2 as a reminder
  • Weekend 2 (October 1-3)
    • Friday, October 1 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Capture The Flag on Fragmentation
    • Saturday, October 2 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Total Control on Fragmentation
    • Sunday, October 3 @ 10am-2pm & 5pm-9pm PT
      • Total Control on Fragmentation
      • Slayer on Fragmentation

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Honestly, these videos just speak for themselves. The texturing and shader work is just unbelievably good. The campaign just has to be really damn good, something truly special, and Microsoft has themselves a mega hit on their hands.

I really hope it comes together, I've even got the console pre ordered as I can sell my current series X for the price of the brand new Halo Edition.

I'm invested!

MrFunSocks

Banned
this,

plus in shooters, for me it is important nowadays that I have jump and crouch instantly available to me without letting go of my Sticks due to the playstyle I developed over the years.
having Jump on LB and Crouch on RS just feels liberating in a way, all your movement is right there for you at any time, making dodging and weaving around feel so much more natural
Sounds like you need an elite controller.

MrFunSocks

Banned
How does it enhance gameplay?
In many ways. You can go around corners then dash back after seeing what’s there, you can jump then dash backwards to get the jump on people that are behind you, your movement is less predictable especially while jumping. It just gives you more options across the board, both offensively and defensively.

Naked Lunch

Now Behemoth is all classic Halo for me. Sweet flag runs, good sight lines indoors, clear power weapons, light vehicles and generally just great flows. It's that mid range combat but indoors if you want it without feeling trapped, can be caught out by vehicles but not dominated, you can traverse the map easily through the mid or around the sides, you can go for a quick run in a vehicle with a buddy, you can gun with a turret. You can defend your flag with a sniper while your team attacks, you can grappleshot around very well but it doesn't feel cheap against the enemies positions...it just has so much Halo in it.
Appreciate the very detailed response, thanks.
Your analysis of Behemoth is spot on. I can already tell its the best Halo map 343 has made to date. Its got a flow (that covers all playstyles) and overall Halo aesthetic that Halo 5 was missing - its design a callback to some of the better H2/3 maps. Behemoth is one of the best looking Halo maps too - the metallic structures half buried into the sand reaching out into the distance is just awesome. I hope that map is a sign of more to come.

Infinite being free to play, a game as a service - I really hope they keep original designed maps releasing constantly - rather than force feeding us nothing but fan-made forge maps.

Top Bottom