• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Banned
Vehicle map is way too big for 4 v 4. Honestly retarded decision. Had a match that went 17 - 31 with time running out

4v4 shouldn't even be a thing outside of Ranked!

Halo was always 5v5 until fucking 343i took over and simply made every casual playlist into an MLG rules shitshow with 4v4 in every mode. 5v5 is way better for casual playlists becasue that works in small and in medium sized maps with vehicles... 4v4 doesn't, but 343i doesn't care

Halo was always 5v5 until fucking 343i took over and simply made every casual playlist into an MLG rules shitshow with 4v4 in every mode. 5v5 is way better for casual playlists becasue that works in small and in medium sized maps with vehicles... 4v4 doesn't, but 343i doesn't care
The most incorrect statement i've heard in awhile.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Outside of Halo 3 social slayer and the short live Halo reach squad play list, Halo Matchmaking has almost exclusively been FFA, 2v2, 4v4 and 8v8.

Banned
Outside of Halo 3 social slayer and the short live Halo reach squad play list, Halo Matchmaking has almost exclusively been FFA, 2v2, 4v4 and 8v8.

Halo 3 Social Slayer was by far the peak of the series, and should be the inspiration to look for in Infinite. especially with medium sized maps returning.

Halo 3 Social Slayer was by far the peak of the series, and should be the inspiration to look for in Infinite. especially with medium sized maps returning.
Bungie was the one to start copying MLG. 8v8 was better if that really matters since its maps were actually made for those polayer sizes and it allowed objective gametypes.

ManaByte

Those graphics tho.

Leonardo Dicaprio Dancing GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Pakoe

Gold Member
If you sign up now on Halo insider, you still have a chance to make the 2nd weekend roll out IIRC.

Sadly in my use, I did not find anything sticking like that. I want that back, as well if it's gone.
Thank you! Just signed up.

Luipadre

The 1 year delay really paid off here. I've never been a halo fun but i really enjoyed this preview. They need to fix the controller aiming tho

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

Alright... new map CTF is great. This is the Halo I love. Vehicles are a lot of fun and having some real map dynamics is refreshing. Finally got my game to run with minimal frame pacing issues and still looking good. Locked min/max frame rate to 120fps at 80% resolution (1440p monitor) and medium presets. Not perfect but a lot closer than it was. Really excited for BTB next weekend now!

Exanthus

Banned
Love the preview

However the radar is a problem for me still.. there are times where an enemy isn't showing at all and I turn around and they are standing right there and moving. Unless it's a spawn issue?

Bloom on the commando is also off. I get great headshots with that gun, but it seems to be all over the place every other time.

ZehDon

Since all you do is unlock cosmetics the progressions system is fine.
Just on this, I have to say I disagree. In order to unlock the cosmetics, you have to buy the Battlepass. Since I'm paying money for it, the progression system should be enjoyable to interact with. Paying money to access a gate keeping system designed to actively block progression, to stop me from getting the things I already paid for, to force me to spend even more money to remove those blocks is not a good one. The system needs to change.

IMO the range is the issue... it should be strong but that range seems a bit ridiculous lol

IMO if it DOESN'T have decent range it runs the risk of not being very much of a potential sandbox game changer in crucial moments.

Imagine having a bunch of sword or grav hammer elites and brutes coming your way, and you just activate it, knocking all their asses back, then you switch to your grapple hook and get in a better position.

jigglet

Banned
I keep hearing about "bloom", is that in reference to the recoil pattern? I've just never heard of it described in this way with other shooters before.

ZehDon

Do you really? I know it's the beta, but I was thinking those credits can be earned for free just by playing.
No, those credits were given to everyone to just test out the store as part of the preview. My understanding is that there will be a small number of cosmetics that are not unlocked via the Battlepass - perhaps things like getting three stars in all of the weapon drills type thing - but the majority come from the Battlepass. The rest are through direct purchase, with no overlap. There is a free tier on the Battlepass, but it unlocks a small number of items for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Artistic

Not a big deal for me at least. I guess they need some form of microtranscations.

Also, is there any way to turn off the subtitles of Spartan Chatter?

Love the preview

However the radar is a problem for me still.. there are times where an enemy isn't showing at all and I turn around and they are standing right there and moving. Unless it's a spawn issue?

Bloom on the commando is also off. I get great headshots with that gun, but it seems to be all over the place every other time.

There needs to be major tweaks to the radar, visual and audio feedback loops. Just like your example, you can have an enemy moving (without sprint but not crouching) in a room in Bazaar staying off radar and you're in the open so what happens is you don't hear them at all (no footsteps) and they get the drop on you with silent nades and movement. What should happen there is something like Apex Legends where if they're walking (not crouching) then no radar is fine but you should clearly and loudly hear their footsteps. The visual feedback is a little too busy and "same-y" in terms of UI design e.g. incoming damage and damage output gets lost. They're trying to give more feedback but it's lacking clarity in my opinion. Almost across the board, from audio and visual to the actual shields and movement. There's some refinement to go and things like hitting the level of auditory inputs that Apex Legends has means they can go no radar or the current implementation of radar working well. Right now it's a bit too hit and miss.

This also brings me to another point, maps like live wire have too many sight lines and CQC designed right into the map which create issues with this lack of auditory feedback and the current radar implementation. Gun fire also needs some tweaking to differentiate 1 or 2 of the weapons a little more but generally very good in that department.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Played around with the ground vehicles, they're great. I'm looking forward to testing the aerial vehicles (presumably next week?) in BTB.

Banned
No, those credits were given to everyone to just test out the store as part of the preview. My understanding is that there will be a small number of cosmetics that are not unlocked via the Battlepass - perhaps things like getting three stars in all of the weapon drills type thing - but the majority come from the Battlepass. The rest are through direct purchase, with no overlap. There is a free tier on the Battlepass, but it unlocks a small number of items for obvious reasons.

they specified this a while ago I think, it wenn something like this,
First there is the Paid stuff, that is the battle pass and paid skins directly from the store
then there is the "free" stuff, which comes in limited battle pass unlocks, special event unlocks, and campaign unlocks (although you could say the campaign unlocks aren't free as you need to own the campaign...)

that's what they specified so far if I remember correctly. so basically, there is the store, the battlepass which has free and premium unlocks, and then there are challenges in events and the campaign that unlock stuff.

that Samurai armor that was shown in the gameplay a while ago is supposedly the unlock you get in their first planned event, and those seem to be free by finishing event specific challenges

Last edited:

Artistic

Had to play the training mode to try out the Behemoth map, wasn't popping up in MM at all. I'm sure he meant a different map, but don't see the Valhalla comparison at all.

All 3 maps are good in my opinion though.

And looks way better then the COD beta.

This game has a chance to be a monster

I've been going over all the things 343 said about Slipspace and their engine, and it's showing up in these details.

Halo Infinite has been built entirely on our new Slipspace Engine, which was designed from the ground up to serve as the foundation for the future of the franchise. The technical enhancements of the Slipspace Engine are too extensive to truly get into here, but one callout is how we are now able to pack in 10 times the processing per pixel, creating the most visually rich game we’ve ever made to go with the most open and expansive environment to appear in a Halo game.

10x the processing per pixel. It really friggin looks that way. Even the old timer vcr xbox one model ain't looking too bad for itself.

AgUxOAv.jpg
YIqayrr.jpg
5nrMEmo.jpg
IARjwh8.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom