• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Kagey K

Banned
Servers just start shitting the bed for anyone else?

Edit: nevermind rebooted the game and its fine now

Last edited:

packy34

Have you got all the green ticks?
I found out why. I submitted a dxdiag file when signing up years ago for MCC flights and it's way out of date now. They decided not to support 900 series cards for this test, and my old card was a 980ti. I've fixed it now but I think I'm just out of luck until the next round.

AJUMP23

I need ranking based on something other than challenges. I hate that. I want challenges and then kills so I don’t have matches with no progress.

Kagey K

Banned
I need ranking based on something other than challenges. I hate that. I want challenges and then kills so I don’t have matches with no progress.
Yeah hard-core players are going to burn through the challenges.

My last weekly today was "kill players in the zone" which I couldn't do so I swapped it, it changed to kill the flag runner so I swapped it, went back to kill players in the zone.

What a waste. Can't complete either of those.

Kagey K

Banned
Gameplay is leagues better than Halo 5. Not even close.

With that said, 4v4 AR starts is lame.
I don't know if I'd say it's better yet, it feels faster and twitchier, going to need some more time with it before I can fully say it's better.

Kagey K

Banned
Bloom wasn't the only problem in Reach.

Also does anyone think we'll ever get BR starts for Infinite?
They need to improve the damage on precision weapons first I think.

Right now the Commando and the BR feel like a disadvantage in most spots.

I love the BR and really love the DMR, but they aren't working great in Infinite so far.

Seems like AR and needles or AR and shotgun are better loadouts.

YukiOnna

That's it for me today. Lot of fun in classic Slayer; looking forward to Capture the Flag and Strongholds for the next 2 days!

MrFunSocks

Banned
Unfortunately this games not going to hold my interest for very long when it releases. It’s basically just ancient halo gameplay, which does not cut it in almost 2022. Halo 3 with new weapons and maps is how I’d describe it, which is not what I want. If I want to play halo 3 I’ll play MCC.

Halo 5 had the perfect building blocks for a modern halo game, the controls were perfect. This isn’t going to light up the player charts I don’t think. Too slow and the skill gap is far too big in the sense that new players have no ways to defend themselves or survive/escape once a good play engages them due to having no options other than walk slowly and jump. Halo 5 was the first game where Spartans actually moved and felt like how Spartans have been described. Back to slow lumbering tanks it is I guess.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Unfortunately this games not going to hold my interest for very long when it releases. It’s basically just ancient halo gameplay, which does not cut it in almost 2022. Halo 3 with new weapons and maps is how I’d describe it, which is not what I want. If I want to play halo 3 I’ll play MCC.

Halo 5 had the perfect building blocks for a modern halo game, the controls were perfect. This isn’t going to light up the player charts I don’t think. Too slow and the skill gap is far too big in the sense that new players have no ways to defend themselves or survive/escape once a good play engages them due to having no options other than walk slowly and jump.
I agree with you in the sense that this is ancient Halo. I am enjoying it a lot, but I see this game dying soon once zoomers get past the novelty factor and start missing all of the stuff they’ve gotten used to in the past 10 years.

Halo 5 had the perfect building blocks for a modern halo game, the controls were perfect. This isn’t going to light up the player charts I don’t think. Too slow and the skill gap is far too big in the sense that new players have no ways to defend themselves or survive/escape once a good play engages them due to having no options other than walk slowly and jump. Halo 5 was the first game where Spartans actually moved and felt like how Spartans have been described. Back to slow lumbering tanks it is I guess.
It literally sounds like you have not played it. It’s the perfect balance of old and new, not only that but it’s not slow at all.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I agree with you in the sense that this is ancient Halo. I am enjoying it a lot, but I see this game dying soon once zoomers get past the novelty factor and start missing all of the stuff they’ve gotten used to in the past 10 years.
The general consensus I see is that it's bridging the gap from old Halo players to new ones.

Sure the people that need the ADHD shit going on everywhere all the time, might get bored quick.

But ppl looking for an alternative to all that other nosie have a new viable alternative.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Fuck that PvP was fun. Got absolutely rekt first two games and then started to remember how to play with the power weapons. I'll be playing this a lot when it's out.

godhandiscen

Only garbage players had a problem with armour lock.

People who used it were free kills for the rest of us.

It also wasn't even a part of ZBNS Reach.
The problem wasn’t that armor lock was OP, the problem was that it would break the pace of the game and turn it into something that wasn’t Halo. Plenty of matches would end in armor lock contests of patience in which the player willing to waste the most time would win. Halo Reach matches would often run out of time before being a team hit 50 kills. Moreover, custom load outs just don’t fit in Halo. Halo MP is about gaining weapon advantage by fighting for map control, and custom load outs changed the meta too much. Maybe it was still a good game, but it just didn’t feel like Halo most of the time. Also, I didn’t stick it out for the last patch, by then I had moved on.

The general consensus I see is that it's bridging the gap from old Halo players to new ones.

Sure the people that need the ADHD shit going on everywhere all the time, might get bored quick.

But ppl looking for an alternative to all that other nosie have a new viable alternative.
Halo 5’s dash was a good addition to the gameplay, and I found myself missing that movement option too much. Infinite feels a lot like Halo 3 (sans weapon tuning), which is great for old geezers like me, but I don’t see a game without CoD/Apex progression options surviving in this day and age. Maybe I am wrong.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The problem wasn’t that armor lock was OP, the problem was that it would break the pace of the game and turn it into something that wasn’t Halo. Plenty of matches would end in armor lock contests of patience in which the player willing to waste the most time would win. Halo Reach matches would often run out of time before being a team hit 50 kills. Moreover, custom load outs just don’t fit in Halo. Halo MP is about gaining weapon advantage by fighting for map control, and custom load outs changed the meta too much. Maybe it was still a good game, but it just didn’t feel like Halo most of the time. Also, I didn’t stick it out for the last patch, by then I had moved on.

I had a 90%+ win rate in Reach Team Slayer, one of the worlds highest win rates in BTB and topped at 2% onyx in Arena. I can't even recognise 5 times where Armour lock frustrated me.

Sprint and Jetpack were game breaking. Armour lock was little more than a minor inconvenience .

Last edited:

Artistic

Don't remember Reach having custom loadouts, don't think that was introduced until 4.

The loadouts were usually powerup/spartan ability specific.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It literally sounds like you have not played it. It’s the perfect balance of old and new, not only that but it’s not slow at all.
Haha straight to “you haven’t played it”.

Satisfied? It’s not a perfect balance of old and new in any way. Sprint is completely pointless since it’s like 10% faster than walking speed. There’s basically no “new” in it. They reverted basically everything they’ve added from 4 and 5.

It’s very slow compared to 5. Like it’s not even debatable. It’s just gone back to slow lumbering walk and jump as your only movement.

Hopefully after this game likely falls off the Xbox live charts, which I think it will quite quickly, 343 will come back to the present with the sequel. The MCC exists for people that love ancient halo gameplay, since that group loves those games so much and hates anytime they make a slight change, just let them play MCC and now infinite.

ZehDon

Talk about being out of touch. Did you actually play the game?

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Haha straight to “you haven’t played it”.

Satisfied? It’s not a perfect balance of old and new in any way. Sprint is completely pointless since it’s like 10% faster than walking speed. There’s basically no “new” in it. They reverted basically everything they’ve added from 4 and 5.

It’s very slow compared to 5. Like it’s not even debatable. It’s just gone back to slow lumbering walk and jump as your only movement.

Hopefully after this game likely falls off the Xbox live charts, which I think it will quite quickly, 343 will come back to the present with the sequel. The MCC exists for people that love ancient halo gameplay, since that group loves those games so much and hates anytime they make a slight change, just let them play MCC and now infinite.

>talks about live charts

>Stans hard for the 2 worst live chart performing Halo games ever made

godhandiscen

I had a 90%+ win rate in Reach Team Slayer, one of the worlds highest win rates in BTB and topped at 2% onyx in Arena. I can't even recognise 5 times where Armour lock frustrated me.

Sprint and Jetpack were game breaking. Armour lock was little more than a minor inconvenience .
Then you are an outlier dude. Us common fans with an even win rate and struggling 1.2k/d ratio just weren’t having fun.

Just “git gud” isn’t an answer for design flaws when your common user experiences frustrations.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
incredibly variable.

Currently getting 160+

probably stuck at sub 60 again soon

Best tip is to disable RTSS and afterburner if you have them
I'm on AMD, I just use Adrenalin.

Multiplayer is down for now so there's no way of telling how it will perform in game. With 110* FOV and 1440p ultra I was getting 120 in the firing range, but it seemed like it didn't want to push my GPU? I thought that was weird.

jigglet

Banned
Noob question here. What does the AI Scan button do? I see it just high lights stuff around the map. Other than being kind of like a "beginner helper tool", is there a tactical use for it? Or is it pretty much something you'll never use after you've played a few games?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Played on Series X, game looks really nice and its fun to play. I think it's safe to say it's going to very popular.

Seems be be variances in experience, others report latency, I literally had zero lag, might as well have been local.

Some said the control was way too fast, for me it was just right. My kids try it out, they are like this is way to slow and die a lot, then they crank up the sensitivity and start doing damage.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

This isnt anything like Halo 3.
Its Halo 5.5 and that will be an issue

FireFly

It seems a bit early to write the game off based on the modes 343 have decided to show in a technical preview. I struggle to believe they are basing a 5 or 10 year plan on deathmatch and B2B only.

midouglas

Neo Member
any xbox one x impressions for us poor losers??
Runs fine on Series X. Find menus have a slight flicker. Not sure if this intentional with the environments lighting but it’s annoying.

For me this is Halo. However, I find aiming difficult and I think the AR and needler are massively overpowered. I typically prefer SWAT or BTB game types to arena.

Alexvot86

Neo Member
After playing for 3 hours last night I can now say with confidence THIS is the Halo I have needed since H3.

I was a bit worried about AR starts too but the new pistol is almost as good as the H1 pistol in my experience. It took some getting used to but once dialed in I could get a kill with it much faster than an AR in most ranges.

The longer TTK is refreshing and really enjoyed escaping enemy fire if I got spotted first and turning the tables. Some of the 1 on 1 encounters were epic and classic halo.

Very much looking forward to December and trying out BTB next week.

Concern

I don't know if its me but aim sensitivity seems off for me, at least comparing to the 1st test. My aim is all over, or maybe its because of the vanguard beta. I played that at 9 sensitivity.

Enjoying the game. I want to play some 6 v 6 and btb tho.

Artistic

I don't know how y'all do ultra high sensitivity. Always keep it on default.

There's times where I end up dying because it takes like a full second for it to completely turn around, but it what helps me keep a steady aim the most.

Top Bottom