• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

elliot5

I've been going over all the things 343 said about Slipspace and their engine, and it's showing up in these details.

10x the processing per pixel. It really friggin looks that way. Even the old timer vcr xbox one model ain't looking too bad for itself.

AgUxOAv.jpg
YIqayrr.jpg
5nrMEmo.jpg
IARjwh8.jpg

Yeah idk what the fuck 10x processing per pixel means but it's shocking how good (and stable at 1080/30) base Xbox one runs. The image quality is really good up and down the lineup imo.

If it looks good, it looks good. There's no need to get caught up in cross gen etc. Same goes for games like GT and GOW. 343 is killing it

Yeah idk what the fuck 10x processing per pixel means but it's shocking how good (and stable at 1080/30) base Xbox one runs. The image quality is really good up and down the lineup imo.

If it looks good, it looks good. There's no need to get caught up in cross gen etc. Same goes for games like GT and GOW. 343 is killing it

My suspicion is I think it means they can layer in a level of detail and variety on top of various services without the kind of performance cost they may have incurred prior to Slipspace. It just means they get more for free when painting up levels and using their shaders is my thinking.

One big one. Halo Infinite uses GPU-Driven rendering, which is how AC Unity made such a massive jump in its geometry and other visual elements compared to prior games.

If you notice, you see the same 10x reference in this presentation on the results page, but not sure if it means the same thing as what 343 are talking about. But they seem to be referring to geometry.

MM7xCQ9.jpg

PtSGBvK.jpg

ojzPnXO.jpg
ljrCYTh.jpg
pzqrm2T.jpg

There's lots more awesome information in the presentation too about the possibilities if combined with virtual texturing, which I suspect could be happening with Halo Infinite.

Here is some more people might find of interest. The decal part jumped out at me below on the additional vt advantages slide due to how easily readable seemingly insignificant objects are in Halo Infinite. You'll see the words on a the side of a gun clearly, you'll see the words on a healthcare pack and be able to read it clear as day. Who knows.

74TShcQ.jpg
8uVbuwR.jpg
rjBxYEi.jpg
ShxUDjf.jpg
8X6OKSw.jpg
jgsMdkd.jpg
k9EMo4s.jpg
2LUGHrV.jpg

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
I hope there is an AI only mode when the game comes out (not just endless training, as in a regular Slayer match but with AI). I'm really enjoying warming up in the training mode but I don't like how it doesn't have an end. I worried there won't be a mode like this as they will want to incentivize PvP play to encourage progression and sell cosmetics.

This game is so fucking good I'm going to have withdrawals when this beta ends.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

I hope there is an AI only mode when the game comes out (not just endless training, as in a regular Slayer match but with AI). I'm really enjoying warming up in the training mode but I don't like how it doesn't have an end. I worried there won't be a mode like this as they will want to incentivize PvP play to encourage progression and sell cosmetics.

This game is so fucking good I'm going to have withdrawals when this beta ends.
They will have bot slayer as a training mode.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I've been going over all the things 343 said about Slipspace and their engine, and it's showing up in these details.

10x the processing per pixel. It really friggin looks that way. Even the old timer vcr xbox one model ain't looking too bad for itself.

AgUxOAv.jpg
YIqayrr.jpg
5nrMEmo.jpg
IARjwh8.jpg

This game...
margot robbie GIF

jigglet

Banned
It's funny cause 99% of my issues with this game so far have been to do with the menu.

Like there needs to be some sort of match making indicator that persists in every menu screen. It's weird to start queuing for a game, then you navigate away, then you think oh crap did I just cancel match making? But realise it's still running there in the background.

There's all sorts of little things that need polishing. There's probably like 10 things so far I've seen and thought wtf, that's just shit.

Although it's a good thing that the only real complaints I can find are with the menu not the game.

YukiOnna

It's funny cause 99% of my issues with this game so far have been to do with the menu.

Like there needs to be some sort of match making indicator that persists in every menu screen. It's weird to start queuing for a game, then you navigate away, then you think oh crap did I just cancel match making? But realise it's still running there in the background.

There's all sorts of little things that need polishing. There's probably like 10 things so far I've seen and thought wtf, that's just shit.

Although it's a good thing that the only real complaints I can find are with the menu not the game.
At the very least they addressed UI/Menu issues in the first flight's feedback overview. I didn't expect it for this Flight, but should have the changes by launch.

jigglet

Banned
At the very least they addressed UI/Menu issues in the first flight's feedback overview. I didn't expect it for this Flight, but should have the changes by launch.

Yeah as I said it's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. It barely even registers as an annoyance. My point is this game is so good I'm struggling to find stuff to bitch about lol

YukiOnna

Make sure you do the survey (If you get selected) or post it on the Waypoint forums once you're done with the flight weekends. Probably better than reddit/gaf/etc.

jigglet

Banned

I don't see it. If you remember, Halo 5 had the same issue - pages of complaining in Reddit, their official forums. Remember when they did officially chime in they still refused to acknowledge it as an issue.

Then finally after 2 months I think they relented and said ok we'll do something (the Silent Cartographer update if I recall) - but they STILL refused to call it an issue, instead they framed it as introducing more "options" (which by the way, never actually fixed it, I remember posts from the XIM developer ObsIV still wondering wtf 343i were doing).

I'm so glad I've moved to PC. I spent months posting on the forums trying to get support, filling out surveys, private messaging dozens of other people to get them to post in other places... I'm kind of happy I can put that behind me now as it takes a lot of energy to campaign for this stuff.

Last edited:

Banned
I don't see it. If you remember, Halo 5 had the same issue - pages of complaining in Reddit, their official forums. Remember when they did officially chime in they still refused to acknowledge it as an issue.

Then finally after 2 months I think they relented and said ok we'll do something (the Silent Cartographer update if I recall) - but they STILL refused to call it an issue, instead they framed it as introducing more "options" (which by the way, never actually fixed it, I remember posts from the XIM developer ObsIV still wondering wtf 343i were doing).

I'm so glad I've moved to PC. I spent months posting on the forums trying to get support, filling out surveys, private messaging dozens of other people to get them to post in other places... I'm kind of happy I can put that behind me now as it takes a lot of energy to campaign for this stuff.

switching to PC is great and all, I will also mainly play it on PC, but the thing is... so far, you either play controller or you get destroyed. because yes it feels like ass to play with controller, but the aim assist is so fucking crazy that it's almost a must. the same is true in MCC, where they tried making separate playlists but at that point almost everyone switched to controller anyways, and so even if you select Mouse&Keyboard it will try to find other mouse players, will eventually find noone and throw you into a controller match, where you will get destroyed.

the aim assist in Halo goes a step above other games, other games make your reticle stick to your enemy a bit, and slow down your stick movement a bit while close to an enemy... halo does that + a strong bullet magnet that will give controller players headshots even tho they aim a full reticle length above your head!
you can't really beat that on mouse. I played the beta both using mouse because it feels better, and using a controller because I wanna win... and using a controller is literally like turning on easy mode.

so for me PC is not an option when it comes to escaping the bad controls, because I would like to play controller even on PC.
and I kinda doubt that they will adjust aim assist on controller, as that has been a core mechanic of Halo since forever. they toned it down hard in Halo 5, and it seems this here functions like Halo 5's assist, but that is still way crazier than other games

Banned
Reading through this just reminded me of how disgusted I am by people who think Halo 5 has good gunplay.

Babies first FPS aim assist that plays the game for you =/= good gunplay.

yeah, and the bad controls and low FOV didn't help matters.
Halo 5 was the game that really made you feel how behind the times Halo's controls are. halo 5 just took basically the aiming from Halo Reach and no additional features or options. that worked in older Halos that didn't have grappling hooks, thrusters, sprint or the Repulsor (which needs fast aim in order to pull off a high jump with it)
now with all the verticality and fast movement + items, the old controls simply don't work anymore, but 343i simply copy/pasted them into 5 and now Infinite.

that first post I linked is really detailed about sensitivity curves and stuff like that, and it shows that they don't even try to enhance the controls over older titles.

that video I linked shows how it looks when you emulate mouse input on the right stick to get rid of the terrible sensitivity curve, acceleration and the speed limit

343i loves to copy other games, but somehow they don't want to copy their controls, which have come a long way since Halo Reach! Apex Legends and Titanfall 2 should be the template for EVERY SHOOTER coming out. ESPECIALLY now with cross play being basically the defaul!
Aim assist needs adjustment and controller aiming needs tools for the player to finetune them as detailed as possible, and Halo breaks both of these rules by a huge margine

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
switching to PC is great and all, I will also mainly play it on PC, but the thing is... so far, you either play controller or you get destroyed. because yes it feels like ass to play with controller, but the aim assist is so fucking crazy that it's almost a must. the same is true in MCC, where they tried making separate playlists but at that point almost everyone switched to controller anyways, and so even if you select Mouse&Keyboard it will try to find other mouse players, will eventually find noone and throw you into a controller match, where you will get destroyed.

the aim assist in Halo goes a step above other games, other games make your reticle stick to your enemy a bit, and slow down your stick movement a bit while close to an enemy... halo does that + a strong bullet magnet that will give controller players headshots even tho they aim a full reticle length above your head!
you can't really beat that on mouse. I played the beta both using mouse because it feels better, and using a controller because I wanna win... and using a controller is literally like turning on easy mode.

so for me PC is not an option when it comes to escaping the bad controls, because I would like to play controller even on PC.
and I kinda doubt that they will adjust aim assist on controller, as that has been a core mechanic of Halo since forever. they toned it down hard in Halo 5, and it seems this here functions like Halo 5's assist, but that is still way crazier than other games

Trust me if I could go back I would but just thinking about how unlikely change is I kind of lose my motivation.

I don't think you understand just how much work I go to. For games I'm passionate about I will spend dozens of hours submitting bugs, videos, rallying the troops on forums and Reddit, filling out surveys etc. At one point I was actually the leading external contributor to one project (which I won't name). I had the Project Manager for the C&C Remaster project email me thanking me for my contributions. I get obsessed about this stuff. But seeing almost nothing change in Halo 5 gives me no confidence to invest the same amount of time trying to get it changed, so I'd rather give up and stick with M&KB. Sorry man but I'm sitting this battle out :(

Last edited:
I wonder how similar the bots function to campaign AI. If they are this intelligent and dynamic, the campaign could be really special

I imagine they had to make AI this good because there seem to be mini-bosses and assassination missions. The AI has to seem a cut above the rest for those particular enemies I guess while giving them more health reflecting their skill or ability I suppose. Or maybe not... what's your guy's take on giving boss type enemies more life? Because I don't know how realistic it would be barring some special technology from them if it would make sense for them to survive too many shots from a rocket launcher, for example.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
343i loves to copy other games, but somehow they don't want to copy their controls, which have come a long way since Halo Reach! Apex Legends and Titanfall 2 should be the template for EVERY SHOOTER coming out. ESPECIALLY now with cross play being basically the defaul!

I just don't understand the need to "innovate" here. We want innovation in game design, in art, in levels, in story. No one gives a flying fuck about someone trying to be innovative with basic aiming curves. No one looks at a hypothetical game like say, Titanfall 3 and says "oh, the aiming mechanics are identical to T2, they're creatively bankrupt...".

It's just a bunch of guys that want to justify their jobs by changing shit for the sake of changing shit when they would do their jobs better by simply doing NOTHING, and fucking off to take a long 4 hour lunch. As you said, do the lazy thing and copy what works. No one will complain. No one is interested in "innovation" in this space.

Last edited:

Banned
Check how smart the bots are, and these are low level bots. The gun gets stuck with a sticky, and the bot immediately tosses the weapon...

yeah these are BY FAR the best bots of any MP game ever made.
it is crazy what they do and how much they tried to emulate real player movement as good as possible.

one of them did a slide jump around the corner with a shotgun, killing me, after totally hunting me down because I had low shields

Banned
I'm one of the few that loved H5. But when I read people defend Halo 5's controls I get so frustrated.

I tried playing it again a few days ago, and my god... my head hurt after like 10min.
low FOV + thrusters + clamber + the controls... like... how I was able to play that for hours when it came out is a mystery to me.
I think as I got older I got more sensitive to low FOV in particular, and playing Apex Legends almost every day with my crew for what's now more than 2 1/2 years also made me intolerant towards bad controller aiming (although I was very intolerant towards that since MW2, it just got worse over the years, especially seeing that many developers still didn't get the message that Respawn basically perfected it and still want to do their own, often shitty, thing)

I literally stopped playing Deathloop on PS5 because no FOV slider, low FOV and super RIDICULOUSLY UNBELEAVABLY TERRIBLE controller aiming.
I now play it on PC, a friend bought it and I have him in family sharing, so I am glad I didn't have to buy it a second time on PC (since sony has no functional refund system)

sadly you can't emulate a mouse input on your controller in Deathloop since it's one of those super backwards games that still have to toggle between mouse and controller, and are hitching while doing so -_- because I would love to use my Dualsense and play on the big TV

Last edited:
I imagine they had to make AI this good because there seem to be mini-bosses and assassination missions. The AI has to seem a cut above the rest for those particular enemies I guess while giving them more health reflecting their skill or ability I suppose. Or maybe not... what's your guy's take on giving boss type enemies more life? Because I don't know how realistic it would be barring some special technology from them if it would make sense for them to survive too many shots from a rocket launcher, for example.
100% I would love to see fully fleshed out character development in game too, imagine a mini boss that roams around and interacts with his environment or team mates when not in combat, like imagine you watch him from the cliff screaming at grunts, interrogating marines, giving out orders to elites, playing around with whatever is around him, with fully fleshed out animations and all.

jigglet

Banned
I tried playing it again a few days ago, and my god... my head hurt after like 10min.
low FOV + thrusters + clamber + the controls... like... how I was able to play that for hours when it came out is a mystery to me.
I think as I got older I got more sensitive to low FOV in particular, and playing Apex Legends almost every day with my crew for what's now more than 2 1/2 years also made me intolerant towards bad controller aiming (although I was very intolerant towards that since MW2, it just got worse over the years, especially seeing that many developers still didn't get the message that Respawn basically perfected it and still want to do their own, often shitty, thing)

I literally stopped playing Deathloop on PS5 because no FOV slider, low FOV and super RIDICULOUSLY UNBELEAVABLY TERRIBLE controller aiming.
I now play it on PC, a friend bought it and I have him in family sharing, so I am glad I didn't have to buy it a second time on PC (since sony has no functional refund system)

sadly you can't emulate a mouse input on your controller in Deathloop since it's one of those super backwards games that still have to toggle between mouse and controller, and are hitching while doing so -_- because I would love to use my Dualsense and play on the big TV

60fov in this day and age is inexcusable.

I saw the Rainbow Six Siege devs were asked on Twitter why the PS5 and XB versions of R6 were still 60fov, to which they replied cause it would require too much processing power.

Um, what? FOV is, unlike 10 years ago, very computationally cheap to do. AND R6 is a 6 year old game that isn't even rendered in native 4k (it uses render scaling). Some devs are just lazy as fuck.

jigglet

Banned
Question for those who played a lot of Halo 5 (I loved the game but towards the end match making died in my country as we just don't have a big enough population so I never saw what it evolved into)...did 343i keep the costumes and overall tone grounded?

Last gen a lot of my favourite COD games became like this, as well as my baby R6 Siege:

iu

I know it's trivial aesthetic-only shit but it really does my head in. Then they promised COD WW2 would not do this, then one day I signed in and literally saw someone doing the chicken dance. Did H5 end up like this Fortnite / COD silliness towards the end or did they keep it grounded? Do I have any reason to fear Infinite may devolve into this colorful, silly mess over time? This stuff pisses me off more than it probably should.

Last edited:
yeah these are BY FAR the best bots of any MP game ever made.
it is crazy what they do and how much they tried to emulate real player movement as good as possible.

one of them did a slide jump around the corner with a shotgun, killing me, after totally hunting me down because I had low shields

I put 2 spartan enemies against just me to see how they interplay. They were tag teaming when shields down, one naded and one shooting, backing off to wait for a teammate, pinchering and more. There's more than just coincidence going on under the hood. I'm wondering if they're driven by local computation or cloud based AI? I'm thinking due to the reacton times etc that it's mostly local with perhaps settings and behaviours loaded from the cloud as you head into a match? It would be great to get a ViDoc on such things from 343.

Last edited:

Banned
60fov in this day and age is inexcusable.

I saw the Rainbow Six Siege devs were asked on Twitter why the PS5 and XB versions of R6 were still 60fov, to which they replied cause it would require too much processing power.

Um, what? FOV is, unlike 10 years ago, very computationally cheap to do. AND R6 is a 6 year old game that isn't even rendered in native 4k (it uses render scaling). Some devs are just lazy as fuck.

I bet it would lead to FPS dips, but so does it in Apex Legends and Titanfall 2. they simply warn you in the menu about possible performance issues when using it.
why not give players the choice?

developers really panic at the thought of giving console players choices, it's crazy!
what about people playing on low end PCs? they would also get worse performance using it... but there it's ok?
so dumb -_-

and the craziest thing is, an FOV slider is also an accessibility option. people literally can't play some games because they get motion sick due to low FOV. happened to me with Deathloop while climbing around on roofs and turning the camera too fast/in a wrong way.
yet with all the accessibility talk going around often posted on news sites by "game journalists", noone talks about FOV sliders.

even fucking Kojima tweeted about getting motion sick playing Deathloop on PS5!

salva

Question for those who played a lot of Halo 5 (I loved the game but towards the end match making died in my country as we just don't have a big enough population so I never saw what it evolved into)...did 343i keep the costumes and overall tone grounded?

Last gen a lot of my favourite COD games became like this, as well as my baby R6 Siege:

iu

I know it's trivial aesthetic-only shit but it really does my head in. Then they promised COD WW2 would not do this, then one day I signed in and literally saw someone doing the chicken dance. Did H5 end up like this Fortnite / COD silliness towards the end or did they keep it grounded? Do I have any reason to fear Infinite may devolve into this colorful, silly mess over time? This stuff pisses me off more than it probably should.

I hope we don't see this shit. I'm ok if it's in the game, as long as I'm given an option in settings to disable me from seeing all cosmetics
I didn't play a heap of Halo 5, but i never saw anything like that...

Last edited:

Banned

iu

grounded as in, they all look like knockoff power rangers... but yeah they did stay grounded in that sense.

not so Halo MCC tho... have you seen the new "alternative universe" skins?

maxresdefault.jpg

they look cool, but are totally out of place.
it's hilarious seeing these in the cutscenes in Halo Reach lol

jigglet

Banned
grounded as in, they all look like knockoff power rangers... but yeah they did stay grounded in that sense.

not so Halo MCC tho... have you seen the new "alternative universe" skins?

maxresdefault.jpg

they look cool, but are totally out of place.
it's hilarious seeing these in the cutscenes in Halo Reach lol

I can live with that, as long as that's as far as we get.

Codes 208

Im a bit salty i didnt get to try behemoth tonight. For the last hour and a half all i got was training grounds and bazaar. Ratio of 7 to 1. Wtf is this map rotation percentage?

Last edited:

Banned
Im a bit salty i didnt get to try behemoth tonight. For the last hour and a half all i got was training grounds and bazaar. Ratio of 7 to 1. Wtf is this map rotation percentage?

you can test it in training, I got to play 1 round on it it's amazing in concept, but 4v4 is just not enough players for it. 5v5 would have been perfect imo

Banned
Controller Aiming - Steam Settings Included! : halo (reddit.com)[/URL]

this plays way better than normal controller aiming, feels like the controller aiming in Warframe, which is among the best out there (so good I played that game without aim assist and still was able to quickscope and noscope with my sniper while flying across the levels)

The game is sex , but there is definitely something wrong with the contoller settings on default , I've wasted like 30 minutes tinkering them yet still it feels off

I'm literally going back to look at everything 343 said, and so much is lining up with what was done with AC: Unity's design.

At a high level, the approach and our processes are pretty similar between the two, we go through the same stages of construction and polish for our modelling, texturing and lighting and we are always building our assets in a modular way that facilitates their reuse in different scenarios.

AS: July was indeed a very much work-in-progress slice of the technology, and a reasonable set of key features from global illumination and dynamic time of day, to GPU-driven rendering and variable rate shading were all in active development. Much of the graphics team’s capacity, along with that of some key technical artists, was focused on achieving high resolution and performance leading up to the demo, which meant several of these features didn’t quite get the level of polish and bug fixing that was warranted.

On the graphics technology front we have made improvements along with fixing bugs that were inherent to some of the techniques, as well as iterating and polishing the features that were still in development.

Some of the key areas of progress include better quality of global illumination, ambient occlusion, shadows, volumetric lighting, sky, and atmosphere. We have also addressed issues with our GPU-driven rendering and texture streaming solution that should mitigate the LOD popping and texture quality issues that were prevalent in the July demo.

The technical enhancements of the Slipspace Engine are too extensive to truly get into here, but one callout is how we are now able to pack in 10 times the processing per pixel, creating the most visually rich game we’ve ever made to go with the most open and expansive environment to appear in a Halo game.

That 10x the processing per pixel is clearly in reference to their geometry processing compared to their past engine.

PD5ASAx.jpg

e5S6tqZ.jpg
C2IpHdr.jpg
Z2DYFNa.jpg
O49OpJg.jpg

GpMgbgO.jpg

See the part above about the benefits to culling performance, especially with shadows?

Check the September 2021 inside infinite.

“Through the past several months we’ve been bringing in final refinements to various systems on the graphics team, especially a few key performance initiatives. For me, this has meant work like massively improving Hex Column rendering performance by improving their shadow rendering time, refining our offline culling of the columns for a further speed boost in every pass they render in, or just reducing how much memory they use so we have more room for textures and the good-looking bits of the world you’ll see on Xbox One! Sometimes this can also mean writing a bespoke streaming solution for FX – a type of content that has to be “preheated” so it appears at a satisfying resolution the first time you pull the trigger – and accidentally creating a chaotic situation wherein firing the Needler in an MP match crashes the whole match (literally 1 of the few weapons I didn’t test before submitting my code – so it goes). Thankfully I fixed it a few hours later, well before the Tech Preview landed in your hands. You’re welcome! Though I think it could’ve been a rather thrilling twist on the sandbox.” -Keegan Jones, Graphics Engineer

If the multiplayer is any indication, they fucking nailed to a T everything they said they were going to do with this game from a graphical standpoint. They found a way to modernize Halo's stylized graphics of the original games without going photo-realistic. They found the perfect balance. And so many people doubted them.

JD – As far as our artistic goals for the campaign goes, we have focused on two key themes, “Legacy” and “Simplicity”, when it comes to the visual experience we are building. For “Legacy” we really want players to feel like they are experiencing a game that they remember fondly (Halo: Combat Evolved), but with modernized graphics of course. As far as “Simplicity” is concerned, we wanted to ensure that we steer away from overly noisy designs and details which is a key takeaway for the team coming off Halo 5. With Halo Infinite, we wanted to take this new adventure back to its roots and create a visually pleasing experience that doesn’t overwhelm with unnecessary complexity where readability and clear artistic composition prevail. This is our artistic interpretation of a beautiful world to exist within – rather than something that is purely grounded in photo realism. Both goals have been a true challenge to balance, especially against the expectations of what it means to be a “next-gen” title, but through some incredible team collaboration, hard work, and community feedback we are hoping to land something that everyone will really enjoy and appreciate.

Finally, a cool comparison between a concept art and the game.

They really need to have big data per player as part of their matchmaking algorithm e.g. calculate the last 10 games played and add that to the next game search weight for that player. It's sorely missing from MCC and the lack of fine granular search filters for maps and modes.

The game is sex , but there is definitely something wrong with the contoller settings on default , I've wasted like 30 minutes tinkering them yet still it feels off

100% agree, there is something really off about the aiming with a controller. It's present on PC and XSX/X1X. I've tried them all.

Done obsessing over Halo for the night.. Just look at that mongoose and warthog model detail. Individual pieces falling off. There was an obvious bug where the whole warthog just disappeared after explosion, but sure that was just a bug.

Top Bottom