• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Tech Preview Two | Sept 24-27 | Oct 1-3

Banned
I tried this and confirmed why it's not for me. Halo single player, all over it. Multiplayer (in anything, not just Halo) doesn't click for me - looks great but I will never play it. I hope 343 put enough focus on single player content for people like me.

it worked for me after trying like 100 times and the game getting stuck in the rebind windows, forcing me to Alt+F4
but I finally got my mouse set up, I have one with 2 buttons on the left, and 2 addition buttons on the top (one to the left of left click and one to the right of right click) which I always bind grenades and abilities to... but those 2 top buttons I have bound to page up and page down, becase of compatibility reasons (many games are still bad about binging mouse 5 6 7 and so on)

elliot5

Strongholds is as shit as territories ever was. The weighting in this test over CTF is a joke. Played 8 games of strongholds to 2 of CTF.
strongholds >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CTF requires playing on Bazaar and miss me with that shit

fair warning it runs like shit on my build that's not too different from yours

I wonder if this is using SFS if that would create issues for people with the wrong version of windows 10 since to even get access to SFS you need a windows OS with at least the November 2019 Update.

With DirectX 12 Agility, this issue effectively goes away as the minimum requirement has been lowered to that of the Windows 10 November 2019 Update. As long as a PC has that installed, it'll be able to take advantage of all of the DX12 Ultimate features (ray tracing, sampler feedback, mesh shading, variable rate shading), as well as the newly released Shader Model 6.6 which comes with features like 64-bit integer atomic operations, dynamic resources (bindless), helper lane detection, compute shader derivatives, 8-bit packing operations, and wave size.

And Direct Storage also isn't even available just yet on Windows 10. It's coming with Version 1909 of the OS.

Microsoft is committed to ensuring that when game developers adopt a new API, they can reach as many gamers as possible. As such, games built against the DirectStorage SDK will be compatible with Windows 10, version 1909 and up; the same as the DirectX 12 Agility SDK.

DirectStorage features can be broken down into:

• The new DirectStorage API programming model that provides a DX12-style batched submission/completion calling pattern, relieving apps from the need to individually manage thousands of IO requests/completion notifications per second
  • GPU decompression providing super-fast asset decompression for load time and streaming scenarios (coming in a later preview)
  • Storage stack optimizations: On Windows 11, this consists of an upgraded OS storage stack that unlocks the full potential of DirectStorage, and on Windows 10, games will still benefit from the more efficient use of the legacy OS storage stack

With these things in mind, there was no way Halo Infinite could release to PC before these things were available on the PC side of things. Dec was really the best possible time for a simultaneous launch. Xbox series consoles already have DirectStorage. No consumer PC yet can use it.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Mine felt like shit fluctuating between 65fps and 100fps even with free sync, so I just capped it at 60. So much better now. Just find your lowest possible range, lop off 5fps to be safe, and set a cap.

Last edited:
10 people give feedback about the map in the first playtest. "Oh yes definitely, we'll switch it out and change it immediately."

Thousands complain about the challenge system, no match xp and shitty challenges. " Nah can't be changed ever sorry."

Perrott

Gold Member
Is there a way to request access to the tech preview on PC for those of us who didn't sign up for it in advance?

Last edited:
10 people give feedback about the map in the first playtest. "Oh yes definitely, we'll switch it out and change it immediately."

Thousands complain about the challenge system, no match xp and shitty challenges. " Nah can't be changed ever sorry."

Sounds to me like you need those same 10 people to complain about the challenge system, match xp etc. :)

ZehDon

Having played the 4v4 arena stuff yesterday, and the objective modes today, I can safely say the only thing I don't like about this game is the progression system. The gameplay itself is top tier - damn near the best Halo multiplayer I've played, I'd say. But oh boy, that progression system is straight garbage. Right off the bat I got stuck with these weeklies:
  • Play a Stronghold match.
  • Kill a player with a thrown fusion coil.
  • Get 5 Kills with a Sniper Rifle.
Strongholds weren't available until today, and there aren't any fusion coils in these three maps, so I was progression locked from the get-go. I had to play closer to 10 games to get those sniper rifle kills, and thanks to the daily system, the majority of those games gave me precisely zero progression. When half your time is effectively wasted, that's a really bad incentive to spend money to buy a Battlepass and/or play the game long-term. And they've apparently sped up progression for the tech previews - I can't see anyone sticking to work through it when it's this bad.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Having played the 4v4 arena stuff yesterday, and the objective modes today, I can safely say the only thing I don't like about this game is the progression system. The gameplay itself is top tier - damn near the best Halo multiplayer I've played, I'd say. But oh boy, that progression system is straight garbage. Right off the bat I got stuck with these weeklies:
  • Play a Stronghold match.
  • Kill a player with a thrown fusion coil.
  • Get 5 Kills with a Sniper Rifle.
Strongholds weren't available until today, and there aren't any fusion coils in these three maps, so I was progression locked from the get-go. I had to play closer to 10 games to get those sniper rifle kills, and thanks to the daily system, the majority of those games gave me precisely zero progression. When half your time is effectively wasted, that's a really bad incentive to spend money to buy a Battlepass and/or play the game long-term. And they've apparently sped up progression for the tech previews - I can't see anyone sticking to work through it when it's this bad.

100xp per game played.
100xp additional for winning.
50xp additional for being team MVP.

instead we get challenges that actively hurt the experience by trying to force players to do stupid shit instead of actually playing the game.

It's not fucking rocket science but trust 343 to be incapable of figuring that out.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
But you definitely can cancel out of a slide by jumping, I've done it plenty of times.

Yeah I already said that jumping is the only way to do it, my issue is that you can't cancel out of a slide by pressing the sprint button again. It's not a huge deal though. Jumping is ok, it just doesn't feel like a great way to break out of it.

I'm pretty sure there's like a slide buffer (at least on controller). I noticed that if I pressed B to crouch hop mid-air I would automatically go into a slide once I touched the ground, without needing to hold B. Gets kinda annoying.

I just tested this like 10 times, I can't get it to work. Are you sure? I don't think there's any way to break into a slide directly after a jump.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
pc version is fucked worse than last flight for me. hopefully they can fix something inbetween this and next week if possible
You're telling me. GPU drivers kept failing. Went to DDU and now I'm stuck in an endless bluescreen loop with win 11. Well I've been meaning to go to linux, so I guess this is the sign.

Game felt fun for what I played of it.

jigglet

Banned
Question about the key binds: there are 4 binds called "Equip Slot 1-4". I haven't found any use for this yet, I assume it's to do with either campaign, and / or BTB? Are they used in any of the smaller arena modes?

Last edited:

Jemm

On Friday I tried it with PC and liked it. Yesterday I tried it with XSX and liked it, too. So, depending on the feeling I will swap between the two. Cross-progression works, too.

My suspicion is these things are what are coming together to produce a game that's looking this good in MP. The level of variety in the things I'm seeing are honestly blowing me the hell away. I was always gungho about how good this game would look, but I'm just stunned. I did not expect an MP anywhere this good looking. I could be wrong, but I suspect that all of the below factors are what are in play to make something that looks like this and is performing like it is on Series X. We know PC has massive performance grunt, so nothing ever surprises me about that platform, but for it to look like it does on Series X in terms of texture quality, effects, geometry. All around impressed.

ul2DFR9.png

TT6LerQ.png

IshhIQs.png

mJ8BTq7.png

Seraphym

Managed to get in a few games on Series X, my skills are so so bad, but plenty of times when I was grinning from ear to ear. Maps are nice and I am looking forward to seeing how vehicles are implemented... And the chaos it brings.
A lot of fun!

Riky

$MSFT
Seems like a big step up for One X over the last test, performance mode with a solid 60fps makes it a viable option now.

I hope they change their mind on the progression system. I know they have the play stats, and those stats probably say that engagement is higher with the current system, but data is not everything.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
So many people around the webs complaining about supposedly getting killed by PC players when the reality is controller users have a literal aimbot that does the aiming for them.

ManaByte

I seriously doubt there are thousands of people who are actually going to play the game who are complaining about how non-gameplay impacting cosmetics are unlocked.

Riky

$MSFT
These seems to use real Smart Delivery, if you move a storage card from Series S to X then you get another 7gb download. Runs very nicely on Series S as well, all the versions I've played apart from the base Xbox One look viable for competitive multiplayer.

Riky

$MSFT
My suspicion is these things are what are coming together to produce a game that's looking this good in MP. The level of variety in the things I'm seeing are honestly blowing me the hell away. I was always gungho about how good this game would look, but I'm just stunned. I did not expect an MP anywhere this good looking. I could be wrong, but I suspect that all of the below factors are what are in play to make something that looks like this and is performing like it is on Series X. We know PC has massive performance grunt, so nothing ever surprises me about that platform, but for it to look like it does on Series X in terms of texture quality, effects, geometry. All around impressed.

ul2DFR9.png

TT6LerQ.png

IshhIQs.png

mJ8BTq7.png

I wasn't holding out much hope of 343 using anything apart from Tier 2 VRS on a cross gen game, hopefully I was wrong.

jigglet

Banned
Can someone please explain to me the new armor system? I'm really confused. Certain bits light up when you shoot them, presumably indicating that panel is now weaker than the others? But if you shoot the enemy equally over all their other parts, it still takes the same number of shots overall to reduce their armor, no?

For example, say it takes 8 shots to remove their armor. If you shoot one panel 6 times, and then you shoot a completely different panel 2 times, that's all that you need, right? You don't need to shoot that other panel another 6 times to disable the armor? I don't get the significance of certain panels lighting up.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm having trouble understanding how it works.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Can someone please explain to me the new armor system? I'm really confused. Certain bits light up when you shoot them, presumably indicating that panel is now weaker than the others? But if you shoot the enemy equally over all their other parts, it still takes the same number of shots overall to reduce their armor, no?

For example, say it takes 8 shots to remove their armor. If you shoot one panel 6 times, and then you shoot a completely different panel 2 times, that's all that you need, right? You don't need to shoot that other panel another 6 times to disable the armor? I don't get the significance of certain panels lighting up.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm having trouble understanding how it works.

Just focus on the head mate

jigglet

Banned
Just focus on the head mate

Well yes I get that.

But assuming I'm a shit shot, what is the significance of certain panels lighting up?

EDIT: I mean let's focus on your point - aim for the head. If you're a good enough shot to continually focus on one panel (e.g. the torso panel), then why not just aim for the head? That makes it even more confusing.

Last edited:
There's a lot of controller options, but to me it seems like the max sensitivity is way too low. Play on 8 on MCC, but 10 on here is significantly slower. Probably the biggest problem with the game I have right now. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the settings?

jigglet

Banned
Just shows you've connected as far as I know.

I thought about this, however sometimes the whole panel lights up perfectly uniform and very bright, but sometimes it barely even lights up...more of a flicker. This is why it doesn't feel like it's simply a hitmarker indicator.

Try it yourself - set the AI to the lowest, then shoot them over and over in the same spot with a pistol. The visual effect is not consistent.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well yes I get that.

But assuming I'm a shit shot, what is the significance of certain panels lighting up?

EDIT: I mean let's focus on your point - aim for the head. If you're a good enough shot to continually focus on one panel (e.g. the torso panel), then why not just aim for the head? That makes it even more confusing.

I wouldn't worry about any armor degradation being done real time such that it'll play a factor in your approach to battle. But I'd like answer to your question as well.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Just shows you've connected as far as I know.

I figured it out! It is a hitmarker, just as you said. But the reason it changes is due to pre / post armor removal.

If the armor is still active, you get the bold uniform hitmarkers. Once the armor has been removed, then you don't...it's this glitchy / fuzzy / hazy sort of effect.

Mystery solved.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I figured it out! It is a hitmarker, just as you said. But the reason it changes is due to pre / post armor removal.

If the armor is still active, you get the bold uniform hitmarkers. Once the armor has been removed, then you don't...it's this glitchy / fuzzy / hazy sort of effect.

Mystery solved.

Nice!

jigglet

Banned
Alright ladies and gents I've done some more detailed testing and here's the results. There are three phases, and here's exactly what it looks like:

PHASE 1) Specific panels light up in bright, uniform colours. These are hitmarkers, and does not indicate that you have weakened that specific panel, as I had first speculated. It takes 4 shots from a pistol to move it to the next phase.

tlqjBCS.jpg

PHASE 2) Once the shield has taken enough damage, the entire body model glows red when you shoot them. It's no longer panel-specific. This indicates you're on the verge of wiping our their shield. It takes 2 shots from the pistol to move it to the next phase.

zLQgPtq.jpg

PHASE 3) The final phase is where their shield has been stripped off, and they get this weird electricity effect buzzing all around them. It's hard to see in this picture, but you can see the little purple particle effects. This means you are shooting at their actual shield-less body and they will soon die. It takes 3 shots from a pistol to then kill them.

Y6YM7Di.jpg

I assume different weapons will have a different effect on each of the three phases. Alien weapons presumably wipe out the shield faster, while ballistic weapons (just a theory) are quicker on phase 3. I speculate that there are an optimal combination of weapons to use on each phase. I'm relatively new to Halo so I assume some of you hardcore fans know this stuff but I imagine the meta game of mixing the right guns for the right equipment / phase / range is something to consider.

Last edited:
Alright ladies and gents I've done some more detailed testing and here's the results. There are three phases, and here's exactly what it looks like:

PHASE 1) Specific panels light up in bright, uniform colours. These are hitmarkers, and does not indicate that you have weakened that specific panel, as I had first speculated. It takes 4 shots from a pistol to move it to the next phase.

tlqjBCS.jpg

PHASE 2) Once the shield has taken enough damage, the entire body model glows red when you shoot them. It's no longer panel-specific. This indicates you're on the verge of wiping our their shield. It takes 2 shots from the pistol to move it to the next phase.

zLQgPtq.jpg

PHASE 3) The final phase is where their shield has been stripped off, and they get this weird electricity effect buzzing all around them. It's hard to see in this picture, but you can see the little purple particle effects. This means you are shooting at their actual shield-less body and they will soon die. It takes 3 shots from a pistol to then kill them.

Y6YM7Di.jpg

I assume different weapons will have a different effect on each of the three phases. Alien weapons presumably wipe out the shield faster, while ballistic weapons (just a theory) are quicker on phase 3. I speculate that there are an optimal combination of weapons to use on each phase. I'm relatively new to Halo so I assume some of you hardcore fans know this stuff but I imagine the meta game of mixing the right guns for the right equipment / phase / range is something to consider.
Are you new to Halo? If so, you've figured out how shields have worked since the beginning. Once it clicks, the game changes. Congrats on your findings!

Plasma Weapons will pop the shield faster, and almost instantly with a charged Plasma Pistol. Once you pop, uou can then switch to a precision weapon like a Pistol, BR, Commando, or any other semi-auto weapon and pop them once in the head and they should go down.

I've noticed that in Phase 2, the shield lights up where you've done damage to the other player. 3 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head will sometimes drop a player depending on the weapon.

Top Bottom