• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite 'Streets' Multiplayer Map Revealed - IGN First (+ Month coverage of Halo Infinite)

anthony2690

Banned
The issue I'm starting to see is the lack of consistency.

The hivemind swarmed Ghost Recon Frontline a few weeks back because it looked like "just another Battle Royale", yet Halo Infinite is protected from the same criticism for what reason? The above map looks like every FPS multiplayer map from the last 30 years. Small rooms, slight elevation differences, lots of hallways etc...

More of the same is tolerated (embraced) when it comes to more Halo arena shootersy stuff but a much newer genre, with arguably more interesting gameplay mechanics (calling in towers, defensive positions, logistics etc...) gets mocked?

What I'm seeing doesn't feel "gameplay focused". It feels production budget focused and IP fandom focused.

What am I missing?

Are you okay?
The above map looks great.
I don't think it looks like every other map either from other fps titles either.

I also think ghost recon frontline could've avoided the hate, if they just surprised launched the game like apex legends, so people can play and talk about the game before jumping on the hate train.
Assuming the game was well received, the hate did actually surprise me, as I remember people saying how they wish wild lands had a BR mode.
Maybe fans feel it is too late? Who knows.

But this is a thread about Halo, so no idea why we are talking about ghost recon anyway.

elliot5

Is that the PC version? It looks cleaner than what I played on XSX.
XSX looked cleaner than PC for me, prob bc it was 4K and my PC was 1440p. I would guess it's on XSX, given the button prompts, though they obviously could be on PC with a controller. Still, my guess is they pushed a build onto a console and had Ryan play via that.

Streets looks good, but I think Plaza from Halo 5 looks better and has more atmosphere as far style is concerned. My only request for 343 is to make sure there is variety with the maps in Infinite. If 75% of them are industrial complex/strip mall style maps I'm going to be disappointed lol. I want more than one covenant themed map this time. Halo 5 only gave us Truth.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Streets looks good, but I think Plaza from Halo 5 looks better and has more atmosphere as far style is concerned. My only request for 343 is to make sure there is variety with the maps in Infinite. If 75% of them are industrial complex/strip mall style maps I'm going to be disappointed lol. I want more than one covenant themed map this time. Halo 5 only gave us Truth.
i'm sure they will come in time. Id expect a map per season and maybe a BTB map every other season? Personally I'd like to see a Zanzibar remake at some point, not exact 1 for 1 but more of like what they've done with fragmentation's take on Valhalla/blood gulch and of course like you said some more variation away from "human/UNSC" style maps.

Fairly happy with the map count by the looks of things as well, 9 or so arena and 3 BTB + some forge maps, pretty much inline with what I was expecting.

jaysius

Banned
The map looks great, this coverage was boring though. I guess this is for the hardcore Halo fans.

Since there’s a month of this perhaps there could be ONE PREVIEW THREAD instead of tons of random ones daily.

Naked Lunch

The Infinite desert map Behemoth is a massive step in the right direction for 343 - Fragmentation as well. I hope there's more natural environments like those. H4/5 had nothing on the gameplay and asthetic level of those 2 maps - so thats a good sign and shows they are capable.

Loope

The hivemind swarmed Ghost Recon Frontline a few weeks back because it looked like "just another Battle Royale", yet Halo Infinite is protected from the same criticism for what reason? The above map looks like every FPS multiplayer map from the last 30 years. Small rooms, slight elevation differences, lots of hallways etc...

More of the same is tolerated (embraced) when it comes to more Halo arena shootersy stuff but a much newer genre, with arguably more interesting gameplay mechanics (calling in towers, defensive positions, logistics etc...) gets mocked?

What I'm seeing doesn't feel "gameplay focused". It feels production budget focused and IP fandom focused.

What am I missing?
Isn't Halo an arena shooter? Also it's the same people that mocked Ghost Recon, hyping up Halo?

elliot5

The map looks great, this coverage was boring though. I guess this is for the hardcore Halo fans.

Since there’s a month of this perhaps there could be ONE PREVIEW THREAD instead of tons of random ones daily.
It won't be a daily update. It'll probably be like twice or so a week

elliot5

image.png

Is that the PC version? It looks cleaner than what I played on XSX.
I mean, it was the tech preview that utilized old builds. So.

Me playing it ain't gonna change how small this map looks. This is Halo 5 and it's tiny maps yet again. Halo maps should be more expansive and not claustrophobic like COD maps. Still digging the look of the map though.

There are maps of all sizes catered to different gametypes and gameplay. Also, people complained that even the small maps were too big in Halo 5, so there's that. We've also literally only seen maybe 4 or 5 maps so far.

Last edited:
Guess I’ll post this here since the Xbox OT sadly has so little activity (why is that?). I wish it was more active. Oh well.

Remember the announcement/game engine demonstration trailer? I’m curious how much, if any, of the enviroments and animals featured in it is still present in the game?

If what shown in that trailer is still in, man, we’re getting a special kind of Halo this year.

I’m confident the number of animals in the stampede won’t be possible with the scale of what 343 is going for infinite, but it’s still interesting to look back at.

Last edited:

Salz01

Ryan’s a dipshit. Just a tool for ign that pumps out positive comments for Xbox. I’ll wait till somebody else gives a legit preview.

elliot5

Free to play will get the players. What’s the community numbers like on the past titles?
at the start or what? I'm pretty sure Halo 3 had like 3 million players online in a 24 hour period or some shit, and over 1.1M concurrent

MCC on Steam alone had a peak player count at once at 160k or somethin according to this Halo: The Master Chief Collection Player Count - Steam Charts (steamplayercount.com)

F2P halo launch across PC and console will prob be millions

Last edited:

Shmunter

at the start or what? I'm pretty sure Halo 3 had like 3 million players online in a 24 hour period or some shit, and over 1.1M concurrent

MCC on Steam alone had a peak player count at once at 160k or somethin according to this Halo: The Master Chief Collection Player Count - Steam Charts (steamplayercount.com)

F2P halo launch across PC and console will prob be millions

10k daily avg for MCC. Sounds reasonably good, but I’m not sure point of comparison for mp shooters on steam.

elliot5

10k daily avg for MCC. Sounds reasonably good, but I’m not sure point of comparison for mp shooters on steam.
Steam Charts - Tracking What's Played

Destiny 2 has 68k rn, CSGO 311k, Siege 35K

D2, CSGO, and TF2 are all F2P titles and have good numbers. Ofc TF2 and CSGO are Valve games so they tend to do very well anyway. I would guess Halo settles around 40k on Steam a few months after launch

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Me playing it ain't gonna change how small this map looks. This is Halo 5 and it's tiny maps yet again. Halo maps should be more expansive and not claustrophobic like COD maps. Still digging the look of the map though.

Lockout and Turf would like a word, sir. Two of the best maps in any MP game ever.

Ozriel

M$FT

I thought you people said Sprint was what made the Halo 5 maps seem small.
Now they’ve heavily nerfed Sprint and y’all still complain.

Havoc2049

Streets looks cool. Like most people have said, it has a Plaza vibe, but on a slightly smaller scale. Looks great for 4v4 Slayer variants, SWAT and Oddball.

IDappa

What am I missing?
You legit just explained fans consistency with their favourite franchises. People hate the look of a ghost recon BR because Ghost recon is traditionally a tactical 3rd person sqaud based game and the BR looks like fortnite with the tom Clancy name stuck on it. At the same time 343 are giving what fans want, a game that's made it's name by being a arena shooter. How is this inconsistent?.

elliot5

IGN doing their best at making Halo look terrible with this recorded gameplay lol. At least put someone good at the game on camera...

twilo99

Some decent gameplay here and interesting take on a BR mode, which they really need IMO

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Halo doesn't need a BR mode. Games great as is. It might need it from a spectating stand point (LOL) but I really don't give 2 fucks how many people are watching on twitch. You can still get games on MCC and Halo 5 should you want to and that's all that matters. If this game fails from a player base perspective then maybe its time for MS to move on.

We need to remove sprint, we need a BR mode, we need to see campaign, we need BR starts, Must be tough being 343 always some sections of the internet demanding something.

Last edited:

Green_Eyes

Underrated map theme. I also immediately thought of the Timesplitters 2 map by the same name...and now I miss Timesplitters ;(

(couldn't find any TS gifs so this will have to do)
200.gif

Top Bottom